Forums/Armchair-GM

24-25

Created by: swinny
Team: 2024-25 Columbus Blue Jackets
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 14, 2024
Published: Apr. 21, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
A very young team with lots of upside. Needs time. A very promising top 9, and a blueline that in a couole years will look equaly good. Question marks in net (I like Tarasov but....) time to let that marinate. Rushing the rebuild is of no service to the team....

Signings:

Forbort: A solid stay and home vet with some jam.to his game to play with Jiricek. $2.5 million should be what he is worth, but there maybe other suitors, so to get him into Columbus may take a little more. Still, a fit here that allows Jiricek to grow and make his mistakes without it being a determent.

Brendan Smith: more a warm body #7 D with NHL experience that can play multiple positions. Could do better, could do worse. But, also justifiable to have him sit and call up Ceullmans or Mateychuk to play over him. Why I almost kind of like this fit.

Texier: The sole RFA that I resigned here that could also be let go. However, still game here. Still young. When it comes to the Jackets bottom 6, I see a lot of moving parts as they figure out what is going to work. Texier is still part of that. Let them compete for ice time and see who earns it scenario.

Side Notes:

1. Moving Laine is something I wanted to do. But opted to keep him as he would be sold low. Too low. The move is coming, but feel it more prudent to reestablish some value if it is possible. Laine at 50% retention at the deadline could be a major haul. Timing is everything here...... and this just wasn't the time.

2. Also possible that Provorov moves at the deadline - however I would be tempted to look at an extension. He was very good last season, and if can repeat that, keeping him makes sense - if the term and money is right. If it isn't, definitely a trade asset at the deadline.

3. Mateychuk and Ceullmans: I just let them marinate for a year. Rushing them into the lineup right now simply makes no sense. And in the case of Ceullmans, where would you play him? Too soon to move Gundbransson. And he, somehow, has been rather decent. Still overpaid, but decent.

4. Kuraly: remains one of the best 4th line centres in the game. Now you could move him at the deadline, but this is a guy I would extend. Cannot see the contract looking much different. Gotta keep the local boy.

Overall: Still a team in some flux. Perhaps the most important season in this rebuild for various reasons. Can Johnston rebound from a lackluster sophomore campaign? Can Sillinger can traction in his game? Do Chinakhov, Marchenko amd Voronkov continue to grow? Does the goaltending look like something you can roll longer term? As the season develops, I beleive what comes next will become far clearer, what what happens next follows suit. But right now, there is a lot to like about the potential in this roster to be better.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
2$1,750,000
2$3,000,000
2$1,250,000
1$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
1$1,250,000
Trades
CBJ
  1. Smith, Reilly ($2,500,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Smith flushes out in Pittsburgh, or at least I believe so. Will have trade value given just how shallow the UFA market is at foward, but what that is after a down year could be hard to gauge. Columbus makes this move to flip him in another deal to a tight-to-the-cap Oilers squad in need of depth scoring.

Getting a 24 year-old RD that the Pens do need I think is value here.
PIT
  1. Boqvist, Adam
Additional Details:
The Pens simply need to get younger, and Boquist does this. Still a player with top 4 potential, with a pretty good transition game. Granted, he fell down the depth chart in Columbus, but feel that was a function of injuries and the Severson addition.

Pens in a sense buying low here, but at only 24, should fitting long term as Letang and Karlsson age and come off the books. Possible long term future here.
CBJ
  1. 2026 2nd round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Would prefer not to defer the pick, but the Jackets cupboard is pretty full, so doing this could he beneficial in adding to the system at that time, but if Holland can be talked into the 2024 2nd, you go there.

Having said that, deferring the pick isn't the worst idea. If the rebuild progresses as it should, that is an asset that can be used to add as the Jackets window begins to open up.

Simply put, the forward core is so young and the talent is there, and the kids are coming on the blueline. Can see more moved to be made as this roster stabilizes and begins to take shape.
EDM
  1. Smith, Reilly ($1,250,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Oilers need inexpensive depth scoring, and Smith fits the bill. Versatile player, who traditionally is 40-50 points. Good on the PP..... Key is the double retention and the expiring deal with Leon, Bouchard and McLeod all up for new contracts. Doubtful a player like this signs for this little on a 1-year deal.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CBJ
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,700,000$74,993,333$0$4,200,000$12,706,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$9,750,000$9,750,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C, RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW, LW
RFA
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,200,000$3M)
C
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, C
RFA
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
RFA
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
RFA
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW, C, RW
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$9,583,333$9,583,333
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 7
$5,400,000$5,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,725,000$4,725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,050,000$1,050,000
G
RFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
RD
RFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD, LW
UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 21 at 12:41 p.m.
no from pit. not retaining on smith.

he only has 1y left we should use all of the cap we have.
Apr. 21 at 2:08 p.m.
Quoting: fil97
no from pit. not retaining on smith.

he only has 1y left we should use all of the cap we have.

That is exactly the point..... Smith has ine year left.

The team missed the playoffs. And outside of Smith, locked into a number of contracts long term.

I can appreciate the thought of "win with Sid", but going after UFA's to fill that roster out with more money and term will only cause more long term pain.

In terms of the deal, the Pens have almost nothing in terms of younger or even NHL worthy prospects outside of St. Invary; and even there is he a player that moves the needle?

Moving a 31 year-old expiring contract for a 24 year old RD, for the Pens..... just makes sense to me.

We can agree to diagree here. When it comes to the Pens, there is no grey area. it is either move to get younger or push to win. Not sure there is a middle ground there.
Apr. 21 at 2:28 p.m.
Smith pouted all season on the Pens. Imagine how he would be on CBJ? Smith has a M-NTC so he would veto the trade anyway.
BELIEVEnPENGUINS liked this.
Apr. 21 at 3:27 p.m.
Quoting: PensGMwannabe
Smith pouted all season on the Pens. Imagine how he would be on CBJ? Smith has a M-NTC so he would veto the trade anyway.

Of you read tye deal, the Jackets are flipping him to Edmonton.

A 3-way deal of sorts.

The Jackets would have absolutely no use for him. That is clear. So, weaponize the cap space and the Jackets move someone they have no room for in Boquist, and turn it into a 2nd.

If Smith pouts in Edmonton, I think his NHL career is done lol. Like Vegas, the Oilers are in Cup conversations these days.
CD282 and PensGMwannabe liked this.
Apr. 21 at 3:56 p.m.
not a he )
Quoting: PensGMwannabe

Might want to look at the second trade in the post.
swinny liked this.
Apr. 21 at 4:08 p.m.
SkateOrDie
In theory this works, but then there is reality where Boqvist really doesn't have top 4 potential and looks more like a 7th Dman.
For that cap hit I'd rather dip into FA to find a 3RD who fits more of what the penguins need. Someone capable of PK minutes on the R side.
PIT declines.
Apr. 21 at 5:36 p.m.
mostly harmless
I suspect there's a good chance Nylander is kept around for at least a year to see if he truly has found his game; it's not sensible to throw away found money, after all. And I'm not particularly fond of attempting to rely on Forbort, but that's just me - I think the better approach with the blueline is to trade Provorov and pick up a defensively oriented second-pairing LD (say a Dillon or DeMelo or similar).

Otherwise more or less decent.
swinny liked this.
Apr. 21 at 5:38 p.m.
mostly harmless
Quoting: LuckyMoneyPuck
In theory this works, but then there is reality where Boqvist really doesn't have top 4 potential and looks more like a 7th Dman.

Tell us you've never seen Boqvist play a single minute in union blue without saying you've never seen Boqvist play a single minute in union blue.

He's got significant defensive issues and so may not be a fit for Pittsburgh's needs (you'd pretty much have to pair him with a Petterson or similar to get value out of him, and Karlsson is going to take most of the opportunities he would be best for), but calling him a 7D is silly.
swinny liked this.
Apr. 21 at 6:08 p.m.
Quoting: Viqsi
I suspect there's a good chance Nylander is kept around for at least a year to see if he truly has found his game; it's not sensible to throw away found money, after all. And I'm not particularly fond of attempting to rely on Forbort, but that's just me - I think the better approach with the blueline is to trade Provorov and pick up a defensively oriented second-pairing LD (say a Dillon or DeMelo or similar).

Otherwise more or less decent.

I was very much on the fence with Provorov. Further, if he plays like he did last year, he might be worth more at the deadline than now.

Moving Provorov is certainly an option..... but being only 26, opted to give him some runway here to see what he can do and if he can fit.

As for Forbort..... really a one year stop gap. I really don't think Mateychuk is going to take long to hut the line up. If it isn't Forbort (which is fine), the idea is a vet stay-at-home guy on a one year deal.
Apr. 21 at 8:50 p.m.
Quoting: swinny
Of you read tye deal, the Jackets are flipping him to Edmonton.

A 3-way deal of sorts.

The Jackets would have absolutely no use for him. That is clear. So, weaponize the cap space and the Jackets move someone they have no room for in Boquist, and turn it into a 2nd.

If Smith pouts in Edmonton, I think his NHL career is done lol. Like Vegas, the Oilers are in Cup conversations these days.

Pardon. I missed he was being flipped.
swinny liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll