SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 7 - Shambles

May 5 at 9:59 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: RipNasty
That's an extreme and unnecessary take. I think we should give Boston some credit, specifically swayman, they really didn't make scoring easy.

But Woll should have started game 2 and who knows what would have happened.

Get a good coach and see what this team can be. The current one sucks.

I don’t understand how it’s extreme. This is year 8 of the MMN era. Year 8! And they only one playoff series win together. No, it is not extreme to do something that should have been done following the pathetic collapse to Montreal. It would be extreme to NOT do that.
May 5 at 10:03 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: Leafsfan98
So what you are suggesting is trading the only guy whom showed up?

That’s dumb IMO… Matthews showed up sick and injured and preformed better than any other player on this hockey team, with the exception of Joseph Woll.

Since when is one goal in 5 games showing up?
May 5 at 10:16 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Saskleaf
Since when is one goal in 5 games showing up?

4 points in 5 games... All primary... When he's clearly sick/injured... With the most hits...

That's the most anyone's shown up
May 5 at 10:26 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
4 points in 5 games... All primary... When he's clearly sick/injured... With the most hits...

That's the most anyone's shown up

For most people I’d agree but this is Auston Matthews we’re talking about. He’s supposed to be on another level and he never is come playoff time. I’m not going to get as mad at him as others (coughMitchcough) but he still needs to take some of the blame for this
May 5 at 10:32 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
For most people I’d agree but this is Auston Matthews we’re talking about. He’s supposed to be on another level and he never is come playoff time. I’m not going to get as mad at him as others (coughMitchcough) but he still needs to take some of the blame for this

I'm sorry... But when you are talking about him playing through concussions or MCL sprains... I can't agree here...

I'm all for giving Willy a pass... But if we aren't giving Matthews a pass for play hurt, we can't give Willy one either

If you want Matthews gone, then we should also explore Willy trades as well bc he's getting paid 11.5 and wasn't on that next level
May 5 at 10:47 a.m.
Rip
I don’t understand how it’s extreme. This is year 8 of the MMN era. Year 8! And they only one playoff series win together. No, it is not extreme to do something that should have been done following the pathetic collapse to Montreal. It would be extreme to NOT do that.

You are emotional and rational thought has left you. Changes will come but change for the sake of change is dumb. It's obvious the coach is terrible, start there and see what else comes.

Unfortunately we have to rely on Treliving and his wisdom of nonsense.
May 5 at 10:48 a.m.
Rip

He was injured, you can't blame him for that. Like I said, emotional.
May 5 at 11:08 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
When the Leafs were ahead 1-0 Gregor make a poor, unnecessary shot to far side of the net, the puck ringed around the boards an the Bruins rushed back swiftly. I said to myself "oh, oh," and the Bruins tied up the game on that play.

It reminded of game 7 in Boston in 2012 when the Leafs were ahead 4-1. A poor pass from a Leafs Dman into Kadri's skates at centre, was picked off (by Lucic i believe), Leafs were then outmanned in their zone, and it was 4-2. Well we know what happened after that.
May 5 at 11:12 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
I'm sorry... But when you are talking about him playing through concussions or MCL sprains... I can't agree here...

I'm all for giving Willy a pass... But if we aren't giving Matthews a pass for play hurt, we can't give Willy one either

If you want Matthews gone, then we should also explore Willy trades as well bc he's getting paid 11.5 and wasn't on that next level

He was injured, you can't blame him for that. Like I said, emotional.

Fair enough, I suppose it might be best to wait until we hear what actually happened to him before I judge him. I’m just annoyed because he’s never looked like a generational talent in the playoffs like he does in the regular season. Again, I’m not going to be disappointed when he’s a leafs next season. He’s a phenomenal player. We I don’t get how this crap is just always brushed off every year. He needs to be called out more.
May 5 at 11:14 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Fair enough, I suppose it might be best to wait until we hear what actually happened to him before I judge him. I’m just annoyed because he’s never looked like a generational talent in the playoffs like he does in the regular season. Again, I’m not going to be disappointed when he’s a leafs next season. He’s a phenomenal player. We I don’t get how this crap is just always brushed off every year. He needs to be called out more.

That's fair...

And BTW, I'm also giving Willy a pass for that series too for that same reason... I think Matthews was doing his best (6, 8 hits in 2 games is very good)... But where you play sick/injured, it's impossible to be generational
Saskleaf liked this.
May 5 at 11:17 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
You are emotional and rational thought has left you. Changes will come but change for the sake of change is dumb. It's obvious the coach is terrible, start there and see what else comes.

Unfortunately we have to rely on Treliving and his wisdom of nonsense.

How is it dumb to make change for the sake of change. Again, 8 years! With no other team would even half that be acceptable. Changes should have come after the Montreal loss. Scapegoating only Keefe is getting us nowhere. No one is saying he’s a good coach or needs to stay, it goes with saying that he needs to be fired. But it’s not enough. We need to shake up this core
May 5 at 11:17 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
That's fair...

And BTW, I'm also giving Willy a pass for that series too for that same reason... I think Matthews was doing his best (6, 8 hits in 2 games is very good)... But where you play sick/injured, it's impossible to be generational

Yes and that’s fair. Especially if we find out it was something very serious and that he wasn’t playing 100% for game 7, he can probably get a pass. I’m just sick of the constant losing is all
Leafsfan98 liked this.
May 5 at 11:37 a.m.
Rip

I think the system doesn't work in the playoffs and Keefe never adjusts.
May 5 at 11:40 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
I think the system doesn't work in the playoffs and Keefe never adjusts.

Again, I’m happy to fire Keefe. But is he really the biggest problem here? Do you really believe once he’s fired Marner is just going to magically become a good playoff performer?
May 5 at 11:47 a.m.
Rip
Again, I’m happy to fire Keefe. But is he really the biggest problem here? Do you really believe once he’s fired Marner is just going to magically become a good playoff performer?

Yes I think it's a distinct possibility.
May 5 at 11:49 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

3 GMs
3 Head Coaches
2 presidents

0 games taken over in the playoffs

1 OT winner against where he's directly responsible for
Saskleaf liked this.
May 5 at 12:20 p.m.
Saskoiler for now

Hey I appreciate the optimism but with all due respect I think you’re nuts
May 5 at 12:25 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Just throwing this out there
May 5 at 1:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Will say this

Could I see the core 4 come back under a new HC and system yes

Do I think its wise to give em 1 more shot when they have had so many...NO

This group of 4 guys will have been together for 7 years and within that time have gone through 2 head coaches and have only won 1 round

Its time for them to be split whether its Marner or JT one has to go.

We need balance and have headaches now from can Woll stay healthy enough to be the #1 going forward and what do we need to do to get depth scoring/improve this Dcore with the cap we have

Marner or JT going solves this headache to a degree.

Now if they do all come back under someone new and win the cup 2024-2025 will eat my words but I just cant see them winning nor this team as we are diverting to much of the cap into 4 guys.

Anyways lets see
May 5 at 1:32 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: palhal
When the Leafs were ahead 1-0 Gregor make a poor, unnecessary shot to far side of the net, the puck ringed around the boards an the Bruins rushed back swiftly. I said to myself "oh, oh," and the Bruins tied up the game on that play.

It reminded of game 7 in Boston in 2012 when the Leafs were ahead 4-1. A poor pass from a Leafs Dman into Kadri's skates at centre, was picked off (by Lucic i believe), Leafs were then outmanned in their zone, and it was 4-2. Well we know what happened after that.

Gregor has been gone since Jan

I dont see Brad bringing him back and if he does he goes to Marlies
May 5 at 1:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 5 at 2:05 p.m.
https://twitter.com/DeuceDoucette/status/1786975559546802183

Honestly not wrong
May 5 at 1:57 p.m.
Quoting: palhal

I know few here are actually top level (former) players but once you hit juniors this is a massive No-No. You are always taught to shoot short side so that if you miss the net it rebounds to the other side of the net and not all the way out of the zone. Basic mistake from Gregor.
palhal liked this.
May 5 at 2:00 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Will say this

Could I see the core 4 come back under a new HC and system yes

Do I think its wise to give em 1 more shot when they have had so many...NO

This group of 4 guys will have been together for 7 years and within that time have gone through 2 head coaches and have only won 1 round

Its time for them to be split whether its Marner or JT one has to go.

We need balance and have headaches now from can Woll stay healthy enough to be the #1 going forward and what do we need to do to get depth scoring/improve this Dcore with the cap we have

Marner or JT going solves this headache to a degree.

Now if they do all come back under someone new and win the cup 2024-2025 will eat my words but I just cant see them winning nor this team as we are diverting to much of the cap into 4 guys.

Anyways lets see

I think it is worth considering moving both Nylander and Marner. Not saying that Nylander was bad or didn't show up, but the returns could help the team, AND with Reinhart and Stammer available as free agents, you might be able to replace them cheaper and still have depth up front.

It really depends on how things shake out, but I see a version of the team that has both of them gone.

I also think moving Rielly could be worth considering. We all love him but maybe it forces Tre to find a true elite #1.
May 5 at 2:03 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: fangm
I think it is worth considering moving both Nylander and Marner. Not saying that Nylander was bad or didn't show up, but the returns could help the team, AND with Reinhart and Stammer available as free agents, you might be able to replace them cheaper and still have depth up front.

It really depends on how things shake out, but I see a version of the team that has both of them gone.

I also think moving Rielly could be worth considering. We all love him but maybe it forces Tre to find a true elite #1.

Rielly wont waive that is 100% for certain. Guys committed here and is the longest serving Leaf and should be the captain

BOS got to him and while I aint excusing the poor performance compared to what we saw in TBL its something to note for Brad when he decides to work on this WIP dcore
May 5 at 2:11 p.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan

I agree with you. While Matthews did show up in the playoffs, he did not live up to his contract.
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll