Forums/Armchair-GM

Prospect for Necas

Created by: JarvisforSelke
Team: 2024-25 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: May 22, 2024
Published: May 22, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think KK could have a bounce-back year and he's still eligible for a 1/3 buyout next offseason if not. Also got a long-term solution at 2C with David Goyette once he develops
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$6,500,000
3$1,500,000
3$775,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$8,750,000
6$6,000,000
3$1,800,000
3$2,000,000
2$2,000,000
2$4,800,000
2$5,600,000
Trades
CAR
  1. Goyette, David
Additional Details:
Any one of Goyette, Beniers, or Wright would work here
SEA
  1. Necas, Martin [RFA Rights]
  2. 2024 4th round pick (CAR)
CAR
  1. 2024 4th round pick (MIN)
MIN
  1. Burns, Brent
Additional Details:
Any team
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,700,000$85,730,000$0$350,000$1,970,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$8,750,000$8,750,000
LW, RW
UFA
$9,750,000$9,750,000
C
NMC
UFA - 8
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$918,333$918,333
LW
RFA - 3
$5,600,000$5,600,000
C, LW
UFA
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW
RFA
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, RW
UFA
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$2,400,000$2,400,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW
RFA
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
RFA
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
UFA
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 3
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LD
UFA
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
RD
RFA - 2
$810,000$810,000
LD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 22 at 4:49 p.m.
Quoting: seanrushton
Wright was a little bit of a stretch but have you guys looked at Beniers production in the show? Like, come on... Necas is an established guy in the show and Berniers had one season of top-6 production and suddenly everybody is acting like he's untouchable and that's not even getting to linemates

What a moronic comment. Yes Beniers had a rough sophomore slump but he is also still only 21. Last I checked Necas had 38 total career points at age 21. The likelyhood that Beniers puts up 60+ points next season is quite high, especially if Seattle goes and upgrades their roster this summer. I would also bet that Beniers will be a better player than Necas within the next 3 seasons, especially when you consider how strong his defensive game is.
May 22 at 4:50 p.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
What a moronic comment. Yes Beniers had a rough sophomore slump but he is also still only 21. Last I checked Necas had 38 total career points at age 21. The likelyhood that Beniers puts up 60+ points next season is quite high, especially if Seattle goes and upgrades their roster this summer. I would also bet that Beniers will be a better player than Necas within the next 3 seasons, especially when you consider how strong his defensive game is.

Yes, but it's an estimation at this point... With the exception of like sure slam dunks I don't really like to put a whole lot of stock into projections. I get Bernies would need more than just Necas... probably Necas+1st+ but I think it's still a good idea to ask
May 22 at 4:50 p.m.
The fact that he's only played two seasons is kind of my point

What?

Hes 21 years old and entrenched and established. It is utterly preposterous what you are trying to argue
May 22 at 4:55 p.m.
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
What?

Hes 21 years old and entrenched and established. It is utterly preposterous what you are trying to argue

It's isn't just that he's played two seasons... If he'd played two seasons and they were somewhat consistent then I'd be a lot more willing to buy in but they were two widely different seasons
May 22 at 4:57 p.m.
Yes, but it's an estimation at this point... With the exception of like sure slam dunks I don't really like to put a whole lot of stock into projections. I get Bernies would need more than just Necas... probably Necas+1st+ but I think it's still a good idea to ask

Ask all you want. Beniers is widely viewed as a foundational piece and Necas isn't. Look at the Fiala trade. Fiala returned Brock Faber and a 1st. Faber was viewed as a prospect ranked ~50th in the league at the time so he was far from a bad prospect. However it was pretty clear that Byfield (who had only put up 10 points in 40 games) and Clarke (who hadn't played at all yet) were completely off the table.
JarvisforSelke liked this.
May 22 at 5:04 p.m.
Ask all you want. Beniers is widely viewed as a foundational piece and Necas isn't. Look at the Fiala trade. Fiala returned Brock Faber and a 1st. Faber was viewed as a prospect ranked ~50th in the league at the time so he was far from a bad prospect. However it was pretty clear that Byfield (who had only put up 10 points in 40 games) and Clarke (who hadn't played at all yet) were completely off the table.

That's a fair point about the Fiala trade and I totally forgot about that trade for a second... I do think that a David Goyette fits the Hurricanes a lot better than Berniers... He can bring a different style of play that the Hurricanes have been lacking while not being a black hole in his own end like Necas is
May 22 at 5:07 p.m.
That's a fair point about the Fiala trade and I totally forgot about that trade for a second... I do think that a David Goyette fits the Hurricanes a lot better than Berniers... He can bring a different style of play that the Hurricanes have been lacking while not being a black hole in his own end like Necas is

No arguments on Goyette, could absolutely be a fit. The issue is Seattle isn't going to attach #8 so I don't see a direct comparable trade here
May 22 at 5:09 p.m.
No arguments on Goyette, could absolutely be a fit. The issue is Seattle isn't going to attach #8 so I don't see a direct comparable trade here

Necas also isn't as good as Fiala so that needs to be taken into consideration
May 22 at 5:14 p.m.
Quoting: Caerii
Necas also isn't as good as Fiala so that needs to be taken into consideration

Debatable. Fiala really only had that one season of high production before the trade. I would put them around the same caliber
May 22 at 5:19 p.m.
Debatable. Fiala really only had that one season of high production before the trade. I would put them around the same caliber

It's not really all that debatable when you consider that

1) Fiala's one season was still much better than Necas' one season
2) Fiala's other seasons were still better than Necas' other seasons
3) Necas by and large has had much better linemates during his time in Carolina than Fiala had in Minnesota

But yeah, if you just look at their production in the three seasons prior to their trades (assuming Necas is moved this summer)...well it's still not actually that close. Fiala averaged a 75 point per 82 game pace, Necas is at 57 per 82.
RazWild liked this.
May 22 at 5:31 p.m.

3) Necas by and large has had much better linemates during his time in Carolina than Fiala had in Minnesota

But yeah, if you just look at their production in the three seasons prior to their trades (assuming Necas is moved this summer)...well it's still not actually that close. Fiala averaged a 75 point per 82 game pace, Necas is at 57 per 82.

rock on
May 22 at 5:32 p.m.
“Beniers, Wright, or Goyette”

“Aho, Svechnikov or Suzuki”
May 22 at 5:35 p.m.

Nobody is arguing 85 points is better than 71 points though I do think it is very worth noting that Necas lead his team in scoring that year whereas Fiala finished 2nd behind Kaprizov who had 108 points. Carolina plays an extremely structured system that in a lot of way snubs it's own offense in favor of dominating possession. i think in a much more open system he will be much more productive offensively
Partially disagree on the linemates part too. Necas most common linemates this year were (in order of TOI together); Drury, Bunting, Kotkaniemi, Teravainen, Noesen, and Kuznetsov. Everyone else he played less than 200 minutes with. His drop in production this year is widely due to quality of linemates.
May 22 at 6:46 p.m.
Nobody is arguing 85 points is better than 71 points though I do think it is very worth noting that Necas lead his team in scoring that year whereas Fiala finished 2nd behind Kaprizov who had 108 points. Carolina plays an extremely structured system that in a lot of way snubs it's own offense in favor of dominating possession. i think in a much more open system he will be much more productive offensively
Partially disagree on the linemates part too. Necas most common linemates this year were (in order of TOI together); Drury, Bunting, Kotkaniemi, Teravainen, Noesen, and Kuznetsov. Everyone else he played less than 200 minutes with. His drop in production this year is widely due to quality of linemates.

Thanks, you just confirmed what was said to you.

Fiala's main linemates while in Minnesota were, as follows. Victor Rask, Marcus Johansson, Frederic Gaudreau, and your name of choice of whichever 4th line Scrub that was the flavor of the month at the time.

He only ever played with Kaprizov on the Powerplay or during 3v3 OT. He averaged 33% of his points off the PP while in Minnesota. His production came from his 5v5 play and puck possession skills.

Despite this he was still on a 70 point pace for every year he was in Minnesota except for the first year and a half while here. His lone 85 point year he got Boldy at the halfway mark for the season.

Fiala averaged a 70 point pace while playing with bad players.

Necas has only hit 70 points while playing with the team best.
May 22 at 7:01 p.m.
Quoting: RazWild
Thanks, you just confirmed what was said to you.

Fiala's main linemates while in Minnesota were, as follows. Victor Rask, Marcus Johansson, Frederic Gaudreau, and your name of choice of whichever 4th line Scrub that was the flavor of the month at the time.

He only ever played with Kaprizov on the Powerplay or during 3v3 OT. He averaged 33% of his points off the PP while in Minnesota. His production came from his 5v5 play and puck possession skills.

Despite this he was still on a 70 point pace for every year he was in Minnesota except for the first year and a half while here. His lone 85 point year he got Boldy at the halfway mark for the season.

Fiala averaged a 70 point pace while playing with bad players.

Necas has only hit 70 points while playing with the team best.

17 points on the powerplay, 10 points at 6v5, and 4 points at 3v3, that adds up to 31 points with Kaprizov. Also he played most of that season with Boldy who put up 39 points in 47 games. Once again never lead his team in scoring either. They are way closer than you are making them out to be
May 22 at 7:11 p.m.

Rod dropped him for better player to take first-line minutes... It happens but the line shuffling was infuriating and not helpful at all... He worked best with Andrei Svechnikov and Jesperi Kotkanami as his linemates
May 22 at 8:07 p.m.
The Hurricanes don't really need a RHD... we have Morrow and Burns for next year and Chatfield could probably be resigned cheaply... so 2C is the real area of concern and I'd much rather go for a prospect long-term than somebody like Lindholm

I thought you would want to ease Morrow into the roster, so my thought process was to get a younger RHD to have right now, and in the future for Carolina.

Anyways, I see that there are a million comments on here, so I won’t write too much! Have a great one!
May 22 at 8:11 p.m.
Oh really? Could Beniers work for you if you're trading Necas? That would be acceptable for you?

hahahaha
May 22 at 8:17 p.m.
Quoting: Nhl_oilers
I thought you would want to ease Morrow into the roster, so my thought process was to get a younger RHD to have right now, and in the future for Carolina.

Anyways, I see that there are a million comments on here, so I won’t write too much! Have a great one!

Yah we'll probably ease Morrow into the roster by having Orlov-Chatfield be the second pairing or at least most of the season if not all of it.. I just don't want to completely log jam the roster down the road
May 22 at 10:30 p.m.
17 points on the powerplay, 10 points at 6v5, and 4 points at 3v3, that adds up to 31 points with Kaprizov. Also he played most of that season with Boldy who put up 39 points in 47 games. Once again never lead his team in scoring either. They are way closer than you are making them out to be

Fiala had 64 points in the 51 games after Boldy joined the team

Fiala led the Wild in scoring in 2019-20 when he scored at a 70 point pace before the season was shut down (that's similar to Necas' only good season, and that's one of Fiala's 'not good' seasons that you referred to)

And I think we both know not a single player on Carolina right now would ever lead Carolina in scoring if Kaprizov was on that team, so I'm not sure why that would be held against Fiala? I guess it's because you've run out of good points to make?

They are not close enough to matter
May 23 at 12:16 a.m.
Fiala had 64 points in the 51 games after Boldy joined the team

Fiala led the Wild in scoring in 2019-20 when he scored at a 70 point pace before the season was shut down (that's similar to Necas' only good season, and that's one of Fiala's 'not good' seasons that you referred to)

And I think we both know not a single player on Carolina right now would ever lead Carolina in scoring if Kaprizov was on that team, so I'm not sure why that would be held against Fiala? I guess it's because you've run out of good points to make?

They are not close enough to matter

Fair, I missed that he led the team in 19/20.

As for his 64 points after Boldy arrived, that is exactly my point though. You can't argue he played with scrubs when he clearly had most of his success that season playing with Boldy.

Kaprizov probably wouldn't produce as much in Carolina's system either if we are being completely honest. The Canes are consistently a top team every year in possession numbers despite never having any of their players jump off the sheets in production. If you want a comparable look at Kopitar's production when they won the cup under Sutter vs after Sutter was fired. A possession heavy defense first system always smothers individual offense.
May 23 at 1:02 a.m.
Fair, I missed that he led the team in 19/20.

As for his 64 points after Boldy arrived, that is exactly my point though. You can't argue he played with scrubs when he clearly had most of his success that season playing with Boldy.

Kaprizov probably wouldn't produce as much in Carolina's system either if we are being completely honest. The Canes are consistently a top team every year in possession numbers despite never having any of their players jump off the sheets in production. If you want a comparable look at Kopitar's production when they won the cup under Sutter vs after Sutter was fired. A possession heavy defense first system always smothers individual offense.

What part of, Fiala played with scrubs UNTIL he got Boldy, did you not understand. That's pretty self-explanatory. Fiala played with Boldy for 51 games. He played roughly 280 games with scrubs.

Which is the greater number?

280?

Or

51?

Math is hard.

Yes, Fiala had his greatest season ever to date once he played with a legitimate top-line caliber winger. Who'd of f'ing thunk it. Gee, a top-line caliber player playing his best, once given similar level talent for once. What a novel concept.

Again, Fiala's worst was Necas' best.

As for Kaprizov. Are you intentionally trying to be daft? Did you miss the part where he plays in Minnesota? You know, the defense first, everything else secondary style and culture. Smother the opposition with defense in order to create offense.

Sound familiar? It should.

The same system Carolina employs, Minnesota does to an even greater degree, and does it with less skill, skating, and speed. Kaprizov does just fine in defense first systems. He's played in one ever since coming over. Anymore asinine comments you'd like to make?
Ledge_And_Dairy liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll