SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

General Manager Rankings

Aug. 8, 2017 at 1:37 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Quoting: tadhockey

Your Philly bias is showing.

But, besides that point, you're right Philly has a great PROSPECT system. And that could lead to great results down the line. But he hasn't had much success at the NHL level. Yes, the Flyers slipped into the playoffs in 2016, but they were pretty quickly eliminated, and then missed again this year. They also let Mason (whom you've said is a top-flight golatender) walk on a mostly-reasonable contract. He also lucked into Patrick and signed Raffl and Weise to their current contracts.

He is a good GM (I have him 9th, a second-tier GM), but until we see some of the prospects have success on the ice, he doesn't deserve anything more than that, and anything from 8 to 18 is somewhat reasonable.

That's mainly because he hated splitting time w/ Neuvirth (somewhat Hakstall's fault). McPhee isn't better than him. Sweeny? what very poor (I'm talking levels of an albatross signing or a Dan Giradri) that Hextall has done?

German Rubstov is a very top prospect. Currently 34 on Button's prospect list, great 2-way player. not sure how you don't consider him top

My bias is showing because I am the only person here who has witness the terrible job Holmgren did and having seen Hextall draft very good prospects.

I could argue with all of you that Maclellan deserves to be up there, and make a damn good case, simply because I follow the team. We're all looking at it from the same level, but you have the Flyers on this pedestal because you follow the team. You automatically have bias towards the prospects, because (again) you follow the team and keep up with their prospects. Don't try and say that it's not true, because it is. It's the case for all of us with our favorite teams, and you're no exception
Aug. 8, 2017 at 1:50 a.m.
NBABound
Quoting: Mr_cap
Where am I?

Quoting: Mr_cap
so is everyone just gonna ignore where i rank...?

#1 in the NHL ; #31 in my heart

Why you heff to be so mad, itz only a game?
krakowitz, Pasta88Sauce, phillyjabroni and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 8, 2017 at 1:54 a.m.
I would consider myself conservative compared to actual Flyer's analysts who follow them (Broad Street Hockey ; Dave Isaac ; etc.) edit : more closely than I do since its their IRL job to do so.

I consider Nolan Patrick, Travis Sanheim, Philippe Myers, German Rubstov, Oskar Lindblom, and Carter Hart A- through A+ prospects
I consider Robert Hagg, Samuel Morin, Felix Sandstrom, Morgan Frost, Isaac Ratcliffe, Mike Vecchione to be B through B+ prospects
Everyone else can be considered C- through B-.

I don't talk as highly as I probably should we Sandstrom, Morin, or Hagg. I'm not denying bias, I'm simply saying that I am being as fair as a fan can be for someone who follows the prospects. Having lived through the times when Scott Laughton and Jason Akenson and Taylor Leier and Anthony Stolarz were considered our guys, and now having a plump farm, yeah, I might slightly overvalue an aspect of their game. I don't have the Flyers on a pedestal. They are in the top 3 for deepest prospect pools in the NHL, jumping at least 24 spots in 3 years.

Simply being rife with knowledge doesn't correlate to bias.
Aug. 8, 2017 at 1:58 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
I would consider myself conservative compared to actual Flyer's analysts who follow them (Broad Street Hockey ; Dave Isaac ; etc.) edit : more closely than I do since its their IRL job to do so.

I consider Nolan Patrick, Travis Sanheim, Philippe Myers, German Rubstov, Oskar Lindblom, and Carter Hart A- through A+ prospects
I consider Robert Hagg, Samuel Morin, Felix Sandstrom, Morgan Frost, Isaac Ratcliffe, Mike Vecchione to be B through B+ prospects

I don't talk as highly as I probably should we Sandstrom, Morin, or Hagg. I'm not denying bias, I'm simply saying that I am being as fair as a fan can be for someone who follows the prospects. Having lived through the times when Scott Laughton and Jason Akenson and Taylor Leier and Anthony Stolarz were considered our guys, and now having a plump farm, yeah, I might slightly overvalue an aspect of their game. I don't have the Flyers on a pedestal. They are in the top 3 for deepest prospect pools in the NHL, jumping at least 24 spots in 3 years.

When it's about one team, it does. Tell me, what do you know about Tampa's farm system? Edmonton's? Florida's? Washington's? San Jose's? I guarantee you that you have a ton more information on the Flyers prospects than any other team by far, so they have to be ranked higher to you. It's human nature. We all do it
Aug. 8, 2017 at 2:07 a.m.
Quoting: krakowitz

When it's about one team, it does. Tell me, what do you know about Tampa's farm system? Edmonton's? Florida's? Washington's? San Jose's? I guarantee you that you have a ton more information on the Flyers prospects than any other team by far, so they have to be ranked higher to you. It's human nature. We all do it

Thats the misconception. Just because I know about a team's prospects, doesn't automatically correlate to higher ranking. For example. Brayden Schenn. Not a huge fan. People overrate him because of his PP performance. He is a major liability on 5v5, can't create space, can drive plays as well as others, can't snipe at will, can't play off puck in defensive zone.
Aug. 8, 2017 at 2:10 a.m.
Black Lives Matter

Thats the misconception. Just because I know about a team's prospects, doesn't automatically correlate to higher ranking. For example. Brayden Schenn. Not a huge fan. People overrate him because of his PP performance. He is a major liability on 5v5, can't create space, can drive plays as well as others, can't snipe at will, can't play off puck in defensive zone.

i agree with you, the Flyers have a great prospect group ... i still think they'll be pretty low in 2017-18.
Aug. 8, 2017 at 2:11 a.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan

i agree with you, the Flyers have a great prospect group ... i still think they'll be pretty low in 2017-18.

low in the standings?
Aug. 8, 2017 at 2:15 a.m.
Quoting: tadhockey

Your Philly bias is showing.

But, besides that point, you're right Philly has a great PROSPECT system. And that could lead to great results down the line. But he hasn't had much success at the NHL level. Yes, the Flyers slipped into the playoffs in 2016, but they were pretty quickly eliminated, and then missed again this year. They also let Mason (whom you've said is a top-flight golatender) walk on a mostly-reasonable contract. He also lucked into Patrick and signed Raffl and Weise to their current contracts.

He is a good GM (I have him 9th, a second-tier GM), but until we see some of the prospects have success on the ice, he doesn't deserve anything more than that, and anything from 8 to 18 is somewhat reasonable.

That's mainly because he hated splitting time w/ Neuvirth (somewhat Hakstall's fault). McPhee isn't better than him. Sweeny? what very poor (I'm talking levels of an albatross signing or a Dan Giradri) that Hextall has done?

German Rubstov is a very top prospect. Currently 34 on Button's prospect list, great 2-way player. not sure how you don't consider him top

My bias is showing because I am the only person here who has witness the terrible job Holmgren did and having seen Hextall draft very good prospects.

I hope Button comes out with an updated list. I bet he'd change some players around since February
Aug. 8, 2017 at 2:16 a.m.
Quoting: Pasta88Sauce

I hope Button comes out with an updated list. I bet he'd change some players around since February

Hopefully Bjork is added and the 2018 draftees.
Aug. 8, 2017 at 4:21 a.m.
NBABound
Im still sad because of phillyjabroni. He doesnt love me. cry
Aug. 8, 2017 at 11:59 a.m.
Habs
1. David Poile
The way he has caught up with the times is exceptional. His entire team is mobile, quick and young, except for Alexei Emelin. The Johansen trade has obviously worked out perfectly. The Subban trade has been all they hoped for. I'll never know how he robbed Forsberg from Washington, and Jarnkrok was an excellent return for David Legwand,

2. Jim Rutherford
It should be a rule that the defending Cup Champ needs to be at least in the top 3, even if they did have a peculiar off-season. Frankly, I don't agree with any acquisition they made this offseason. Reaves, Hunwick, or Niemi. The Dumoulin signing is a bit expensive for my tastes. Things like the Schultz trade, the Kessel trade, they make up for it. He hasn't done enough to merit falling down the list.

3. Jim Nill
He did something very few GMs do, he spotted the team's weaknesses, and he fixed it in a big way. Ben Bishop is a good starting goalie, a former Vezina nominee. In two off-seasons he's stabilized the left side of the defense with Hamhuis and Methot. We can't forget about the Seguin trade or the Spezza trade, two of the biggest fleecings of the last five years. He won the Radulov sweepstakes, and Tyler Pitlick could be a steal.

4. Lou Lamoriello
Besides getting lucky at the draft, Lamoriello has locked down Andersen, Rielly, Kadri, and Zaitsev to potential steals of deals. A supporting cast to Matthews, Nylander, and Marner all on reasonable deals is the type of thing a shrewd GM has to be able to do.

5. Stan Bowman
Not long ago, he would've been atop the list. Constantly being up against the cap, Bowman continued to "find a way to win" with this team. I'm not a massive fan of anything he's done this offseason, and the defense is extremely suspect. But this is one case where a track record keeps him in the top 5.

6. Ron Francis
He's been quietly/not so quietly building one of the best defense corpses in the NHL. It seems they've been flying under the radar for a long time, until this offseason. Scott Darling is ready for starting duty, Slavin, Faulk, Hanifin, and Pesce is monstrous. The Sebastian Aho pick was obviously pretty sweet, I love the Teravainen trade from a year ago as well.

7. John Chayka
Clayton Keller is looking like a future franchise player. Stepan is a great stop-gap while he develops into a top-line centre. Hjalmarsson is a clear upgrade on Murphy. He's shown he isn't afraid to move on, letting Doan and Mike Smith go.

8. Brian MacLellan
Shhhh Shh let me explain. Washington was the best team in hockey for two years in a row. The end.

9. Bob Murray
Fowler-Manson
Lindholm-Montour
Larsson-Vatanen

10. Steve Yzerman
Not long ago, he was viewed as a wizard. The Bishop trade wasn't so spectacular, the Drouin return was just alright in my opinion. Also, he signed Dan Girardi. Still tough, they're still cup threats.

11. Jason Botterill
He hasn't been on the job for very long at all, but everything he has done has seemed like a great move. Scandella, Beaulieu, Pouliot, Johnson, Lehner. The Mittelstadt pick is fantastic too, he may just make the team.

12. Ron Hextall
He's resurrected the entire prospected pool, (not without a bit of Patrick luck.) Provorov, Gostisbehere, Konecny, and Patrick is an enviable core moving forward. I'm not a big fan of the Voracek deal, but the Simmonds one more than makes up for it. I don't see them going back to the playoffs right away, but they should soon.

13. Chuck Fletcher
He's one of the most intriguing GMs in the game to me. The deals that likely define his tenure are the Ryan Suter and Zach Parise contracts. He just got Granlund for cheap, but he could walk in three years. He paid Nino Niederreiter. He still has a fantastic top-four. He really lucked into Devan Dubnyk, and who knows who would be their starter if they hadn't gotten such good fortune?

14. Brad Treliving
Mike Smith is a starter. Travis Hamonic is really good, but overpaid for. Tkachuk is awesome. He hasn't done anything terrible, but I don't see the Flames contending for a Cup.

15. Kevin Cheveldayoff
He's a remarkable drafter. Scheifele, Petan, Connor, Ehlers, Trouba, Morrissey all seem like they're working out wonderfully. That being said, the Kulikov and Mason signings are both bad, and for whatever reason he refuses to trade.

16. Jeff Gorton
Shattenkirk signing: Good. Zibanejad trade: Good. Vesey signing: Good. Stepan/Raanta trade: Good. Lias Andersson pick: I don't get it. Filip Chytil pick: I don't get it

17. Pierre Dorion
He hasn't done anything spectacular. Chabot, White, Brown are good picks. He didn't really build this incarnation of the Senators, so that's why he's near the middle of the list I guess, I'm not such a fan of the Zibanejad trade.

18. Doug Armstrong
I don't really love the Schenn trade, but he's put a good core in place.

19. Jarmo Kekalainen
I mean, Werenski is great, Dubois is questionable, the Seth Jones trade is awesome for them too. The Artemi Panarin trade should be great.

20. Doug Wilson
I can tell he's kind of given up.

21. Peter Chiarelli
It's an absolute joke that he was nominated for GM of the year. Besides Cam Talbot and Patrick Maroon, he hasn't done much smart. Sekera, Lucic, and Russell are all on bad contracts. RNH might be in that category soon, unfortunately.

22. Don Sweeney
David Backes was a mistake from the day it happened, and while he has made some good picks, like McAvoy, Carlo, JFK, he also botched three consecutive first-rounders. That could've made the Bruins are legitimate threat to have, say, Chabot, Konecny, and Barzal instead of Zboril, DeBrusk and Senyshyn.

23. Ray Shero
I'm judging this based off the fact that they're bad.

24. Rob Blake
He hasn't done anything that great yet besides have Vilardi fall into his lap.

25. Dale Tallon
He was great until he got "promoted". First he drafted Huberdeau, Barkov, Ekblad. Now he wants Erik Gudbranson back, he completely butchered the expansion draft, along with losing Jagr and Jokinen. Now their eight wingers look something like Huberdeau, Dadonov, Vrbata, Malgin, Sceviour, Hawryluk, McCann, Haley.

26. Marc Bergevin
He hadn't made any outrageous mistakes until he traded P.K. Subban. Since then, he has traded Nathan Beaulieu, Sven Andrighetto, a 4th, a 6th for a 3rd (Scott Walford), Andreas Martinsen, Dwight King (terrible and gone), and Steve Ott (terrible and now an assistant coach.) The Jonathan Drouin trade was awesome, the David Schlemko trade was awesome, the Karl Alzner signing is unbelievably bad, and Phillip Danault is still the number one centre.

27. Jim Benning
Besides drafting Jake Virtanen 6th overall, Juolevi had a disappointing year, and Pettersson was a bit of a reach. He had a good deadline, but he hasn't done nearly enough to move up from the laughable tier.

28. George McPhee
He did a great, great job at the draft. But he butchered enough expansion picks to still be down this low. Nosek over Ouellet or Mrazek, Emelin over Hudon or Davidson, Sbisa over literally anyone. Engelland over Shinkaruk.

29. Garth Snow

30.Ken Holland

31. Joe Sakic
phillyjabroni, Mr_cap and nobody liked this.
Aug. 8, 2017 at 12:16 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

In general, you rank Flyers players higher than other players because you know the team well, but you don't know the others on the same level.
Aug. 8, 2017 at 12:18 p.m.

In general, you rank Flyers players higher than other players because you know the team well, but you don't know the others on the same level.

give me players to compare?
Aug. 8, 2017 at 12:46 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

give me players to compare?

Compare Jake Voracek to TJ Oshie
Aug. 8, 2017 at 1:16 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

low in the standings?

yes, they have a very good future, so in 5 years from now they should be a cup contender, but right now i think they'll be pretty bad.
Aug. 8, 2017 at 1:22 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: OpaqueZoo
1. David Poile
The way he has caught up with the times is exceptional. His entire team is mobile, quick and young, except for Alexei Emelin. The Johansen trade has obviously worked out perfectly. The Subban trade has been all they hoped for. I'll never know how he robbed Forsberg from Washington, and Jarnkrok was an excellent return for David Legwand,

2. Jim Rutherford
It should be a rule that the defending Cup Champ needs to be at least in the top 3, even if they did have a peculiar off-season. Frankly, I don't agree with any acquisition they made this offseason. Reaves, Hunwick, or Niemi. The Dumoulin signing is a bit expensive for my tastes. Things like the Schultz trade, the Kessel trade, they make up for it. He hasn't done enough to merit falling down the list.

3. Jim Nill
He did something very few GMs do, he spotted the team's weaknesses, and he fixed it in a big way. Ben Bishop is a good starting goalie, a former Vezina nominee. In two off-seasons he's stabilized the left side of the defense with Hamhuis and Methot. We can't forget about the Seguin trade or the Spezza trade, two of the biggest fleecings of the last five years. He won the Radulov sweepstakes, and Tyler Pitlick could be a steal.

4. Lou Lamoriello
Besides getting lucky at the draft, Lamoriello has locked down Andersen, Rielly, Kadri, and Zaitsev to potential steals of deals. A supporting cast to Matthews, Nylander, and Marner all on reasonable deals is the type of thing a shrewd GM has to be able to do.

5. Stan Bowman
Not long ago, he would've been atop the list. Constantly being up against the cap, Bowman continued to "find a way to win" with this team. I'm not a massive fan of anything he's done this offseason, and the defense is extremely suspect. But this is one case where a track record keeps him in the top 5.

6. Ron Francis
He's been quietly/not so quietly building one of the best defense corpses in the NHL. It seems they've been flying under the radar for a long time, until this offseason. Scott Darling is ready for starting duty, Slavin, Faulk, Hanifin, and Pesce is monstrous. The Sebastian Aho pick was obviously pretty sweet, I love the Teravainen trade from a year ago as well.

7. John Chayka
Clayton Keller is looking like a future franchise player. Stepan is a great stop-gap while he develops into a top-line centre. Hjalmarsson is a clear upgrade on Murphy. He's shown he isn't afraid to move on, letting Doan and Mike Smith go.

8. Brian MacLellan
Shhhh Shh let me explain. Washington was the best team in hockey for two years in a row. The end.

9. Bob Murray
Fowler-Manson
Lindholm-Montour
Larsson-Vatanen

10. Steve Yzerman
Not long ago, he was viewed as a wizard. The Bishop trade wasn't so spectacular, the Drouin return was just alright in my opinion. Also, he signed Dan Girardi. Still tough, they're still cup threats.

11. Jason Botterill
He hasn't been on the job for very long at all, but everything he has done has seemed like a great move. Scandella, Beaulieu, Pouliot, Johnson, Lehner. The Mittelstadt pick is fantastic too, he may just make the team.

12. Ron Hextall
He's resurrected the entire prospected pool, (not without a bit of Patrick luck.) Provorov, Gostisbehere, Konecny, and Patrick is an enviable core moving forward. I'm not a big fan of the Voracek deal, but the Simmonds one more than makes up for it. I don't see them going back to the playoffs right away, but they should soon.

13. Chuck Fletcher
He's one of the most intriguing GMs in the game to me. The deals that likely define his tenure are the Ryan Suter and Zach Parise contracts. He just got Granlund for cheap, but he could walk in three years. He paid Nino Niederreiter. He still has a fantastic top-four. He really lucked into Devan Dubnyk, and who knows who would be their starter if they hadn't gotten such good fortune?

14. Brad Treliving
Mike Smith is a starter. Travis Hamonic is really good, but overpaid for. Tkachuk is awesome. He hasn't done anything terrible, but I don't see the Flames contending for a Cup.

15. Kevin Cheveldayoff
He's a remarkable drafter. Scheifele, Petan, Connor, Ehlers, Trouba, Morrissey all seem like they're working out wonderfully. That being said, the Kulikov and Mason signings are both bad, and for whatever reason he refuses to trade.

16. Jeff Gorton
Shattenkirk signing: Good. Zibanejad trade: Good. Vesey signing: Good. Stepan/Raanta trade: Good. Lias Andersson pick: I don't get it. Filip Chytil pick: I don't get it

17. Pierre Dorion
He hasn't done anything spectacular. Chabot, White, Brown are good picks. He didn't really build this incarnation of the Senators, so that's why he's near the middle of the list I guess, I'm not such a fan of the Zibanejad trade.

18. Doug Armstrong
I don't really love the Schenn trade, but he's put a good core in place.

19. Jarmo Kekalainen
I mean, Werenski is great, Dubois is questionable, the Seth Jones trade is awesome for them too. The Artemi Panarin trade should be great.

20. Doug Wilson
I can tell he's kind of given up.

21. Peter Chiarelli
It's an absolute joke that he was nominated for GM of the year. Besides Cam Talbot and Patrick Maroon, he hasn't done much smart. Sekera, Lucic, and Russell are all on bad contracts. RNH might be in that category soon, unfortunately.

22. Don Sweeney
David Backes was a mistake from the day it happened, and while he has made some good picks, like McAvoy, Carlo, JFK, he also botched three consecutive first-rounders. That could've made the Bruins are legitimate threat to have, say, Chabot, Konecny, and Barzal instead of Zboril, DeBrusk and Senyshyn.

23. Ray Shero
I'm judging this based off the fact that they're bad.

24. Rob Blake
He hasn't done anything that great yet besides have Vilardi fall into his lap.

25. Dale Tallon
He was great until he got "promoted". First he drafted Huberdeau, Barkov, Ekblad. Now he wants Erik Gudbranson back, he completely butchered the expansion draft, along with losing Jagr and Jokinen. Now their eight wingers look something like Huberdeau, Dadonov, Vrbata, Malgin, Sceviour, Hawryluk, McCann, Haley.

26. Marc Bergevin
He hadn't made any outrageous mistakes until he traded P.K. Subban. Since then, he has traded Nathan Beaulieu, Sven Andrighetto, a 4th, a 6th for a 3rd (Scott Walford), Andreas Martinsen, Dwight King (terrible and gone), and Steve Ott (terrible and now an assistant coach.) The Jonathan Drouin trade was awesome, the David Schlemko trade was awesome, the Karl Alzner signing is unbelievably bad, and Phillip Danault is still the number one centre.

27. Jim Benning
Besides drafting Jake Virtanen 6th overall, Juolevi had a disappointing year, and Pettersson was a bit of a reach. He had a good deadline, but he hasn't done nearly enough to move up from the laughable tier.

28. George McPhee
He did a great, great job at the draft. But he butchered enough expansion picks to still be down this low. Nosek over Ouellet or Mrazek, Emelin over Hudon or Davidson, Sbisa over literally anyone. Engelland over Shinkaruk.

29. Garth Snow

30.Ken Holland

31. Joe Sakic

1) Did Chiarelli even sign RNH? Also, i think Russell has played great there, he's definitely a top 4 d-man.
2) Stan Bowman is not a good GM if you ask me.
3) I'd put Ken Holland higher.
4) The Capitals have not been the best team in hockey, the Penguins have (unfortunately).
5) I think the Flames are actually a cup contender. I don't think they'll win it, but they have a good chance.
6) Would you mind the Girardi signing if it was for less money?
Aug. 8, 2017 at 1:32 p.m.
Stan Bowman is not a good GM? Can you explain
Aug. 8, 2017 at 1:33 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

well first tell me why ken holland isn't. 25 straight years of playoffs.

Edit: and 4 cups
Aug. 8, 2017 at 1:36 p.m.

because he handed out brutal contracts in recent memory .
Aug. 8, 2017 at 1:40 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

so you're saying he WAS a good GM but isn't anymore?
Aug. 8, 2017 at 1:42 p.m.

correct. now explain your Bowman position
Aug. 8, 2017 at 1:48 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

same as you with Ken Holland. Ever since that 2015 cup he's done that Sharp+Johns trade with Dallas, the Oduya trade, the Ladd trade, the Panarin+ for Saad trade. Now i know he had the salary cap, but who signed Kane and Toews each for 10.5M, and who signed Seabrook to that horrible contract?
Aug. 8, 2017 at 2:03 p.m.

same as you with Ken Holland. Ever since that 2015 cup he's done that Sharp+Johns trade with Dallas, the Oduya trade, the Ladd trade, the Panarin+ for Saad trade. Now i know he had the salary cap, but who signed Kane and Toews each for 10.5M, and who signed Seabrook to that horrible contract?

Kane is worth every penny, as is Toews. All of those trades were good. The Saad trade is so underrated. So one Seabrook contract and 3 cups in 5 years while operating with their head to the ceiling in cap space. How does that make him a bad GM
Aug. 8, 2017 at 2:43 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

phillyjabroni ^
Pasta88Sauce liked this.
Aug. 8, 2017 at 2:57 p.m.

phillyjabroni ^

what do you want to compare?