Forums/Armchair-GM

Penguins 3rd C Blockbuster Deal

Created by: MajesticWalrus
Team: 2017-18 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 8, 2017
Published: Aug. 8, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
It's no secret (especially to Pittsburgh fans) that they want and need a third line centre. I think the New York Islanders would be the place to look. Islanders already have 2 first round picks, theirs and Calgarys. I'm sure they wouldnt mind a third especially with option of trade all three to acquire the generational talents svechnikov (more ideal for islanders especially after this trade) or maybe dahlin or they can keep all three and draft 3 1st round picks! Islanders are looking to bolster their defensive core this summer. With the top two defensive lines on Pittsburgh stuffed with Schultz and Letang, Maatta is left with lower ice time. On New York, there is no defence that has consistently scored 50+ pts for them and Maatta can have a chance to do that there. Ryan Reaves is a decent depth forward who's aggressive and can score. Zach Aston-Reese, who doesn't remember that prospect name this past year. The Hobey Baker finalist won hockey east player of the year and was on the all-star team this past year in college. I chose him because he can also play centre which is key for this trade, Pittsburghs prospect pool wouldn't be left totally empty though with Daniel Sprong in the system. And in return Pittsburgh acquires Tavares. I think with the Rowney played in the playoffs verse Nashville, he can definitely fill in the 4th line spot instead of the recently acquired McKegg. I think Islanders should rely on their prospect pool this upcoming season no matter what. Goaltending doesn't seem totally complete with Greiss and Halak, Gudlevkis should get the job as he has yet to faulted in an NHL game and played outstanding for Latvia versus Canada in the 2014 Sochi Olympics. Michael Dal Colle and Aho would also be key players. And as far as Pittsburghs goaltending, I don't think Niemi stand a chance at nabbing that back-up position when Tristen Jarry is in the system and You compare their statistical history. And to add to the trade, both team would still fit the acquired contracts under the cap.
Trades
PIT
NYI
  1. Aston-Reese, Zach
  2. Määttä, Olli
  3. Reaves, Ryan
  4. 2018 1st round pick (PIT)
  5. 2018 3rd round pick (PIT)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$75,000,000$72,774,166$50,000$1,122,500$2,225,834
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 8
$734,167$734,167 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,875,000$1,875,000
LW
UFA - 2
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,800,000$6,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$640,000$640,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$625,000$625,000
LW
UFA - 1
$612,500$612,500
C, RW
UFA - 1
$692,500$692,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LW
UFA - 1
$625,000$625,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 6
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 3
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
RD
UFA - 2
$630,833$630,833 (Performance Bonus$257,500$258K)
G
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$775,833$775,833
G
UFA - 4
$650,000$650,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:48 p.m.
This might be one of the most delusional PIT armchair GMs I've ever seen. You think an often hurt 2nd pairing defensemen, a 4th liner who only hurts his team when on the ice, a late 1st and a late 3rd would get you one of the best young centers in the game? And not only that but also get a great D prospect in Pulock, a good young player in Prince, and 2nd round pick? Seriously? You think that's an even trade?

Maatta will never get 50+ points. Ever. If he can't do it with PIT he won't do it with NYI.
Reaves can not score. He has never scored more than 7 goals in a NHL season. Hell he has never scored more than 8 at the AHL level. He's a terrible player. That was a terrible trade for PIT.
ARZ has 3rd line potential at most. Ask any scout, there's a reason he wasn't drafted. He won't be some top 6 talent.

I mean, PIT fans are usually pretty bad but this is something else.
Aug. 8, 2017 at 7:20 p.m.
If I'm the Isles I would want at least Guentzel, Dumoulin, Jarry +.
Aug. 8, 2017 at 7:33 p.m.
Banned
laugh laugh John Tavares #3C no way is Tavares going to the Pens too be a #3C get real dude he's not going to play 2nd fiddle to Crosby and Malkin.
Aug. 8, 2017 at 7:33 p.m.
Leafhater
Quoting: ClockReads2113
This might be one of the most delusional PIT armchair GMs I've ever seen. You think an often hurt 2nd pairing defensemen, a 4th liner who only hurts his team when on the ice, a late 1st and a late 3rd would get you one of the best young centers in the game? And not only that but also get a great D prospect in Pulock, a good young player in Prince, and 2nd round pick? Seriously? You think that's an even trade?

Maatta will never get 50+ points. Ever. If he can't do it with PIT he won't do it with NYI.
Reaves can not score. He has never scored more than 7 goals in a NHL season. Hell he has never scored more than 8 at the AHL level. He's a terrible player. That was a terrible trade for PIT.
ARZ has 3rd line potential at most. Ask any scout, there's a reason he wasn't drafted. He won't be some top 6 talent.

And you ignored the part where he thought Maata could be a 50+ point guy.
Aug. 8, 2017 at 7:35 p.m.
Leafs Fan
Sorry, this is very one-sided in favour of Pittsburgh. Pens would need to give up some key assets and first round picks imo.
Aug. 8, 2017 at 7:36 p.m.
Leafhater
Quoting: Larkinisking
laugh laugh John Tavares #3C no way is Tavares going to the Pens too be a #3C get real dude he's not going to play 2nd fiddle to Crosby and Malkin.

I think the whole idea of this trade and evaluation of value is so far off I don't know what to say.
Aug. 8, 2017 at 7:43 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: quinnjj
Quoting: Larkinisking

I think the whole idea of this trade and evaluation of value is so far off I don't know what to say.

Yeah this is pretty bad for the Isles, Not even close for Tavares, And besides he's not going too accept a trade to Pittsburgh to be their #3C i know that much.
Aug. 8, 2017 at 8:06 p.m.
Edited Aug. 8, 2017 at 8:28 p.m.

Maatta scored 29 points in his healthiest season (78 games). And that was his rookie season too. The fact that it's his rookie season too means he did it with low ice time on top of that. You really think he scored 29 pts on the top unit with letang there. The only thing Pulock has done is score 60pts in the CHL, one good season in his whole career. Maatta has a memorial trophy and two Stanley cups and a bronze medal from the Sochi olympics. The only award Pulock has won is a bronze junior medal. There's a reason he spent a longer amount of time in the minors.

Ryan Reaves has never scored more than 8 goals. But if you actually pay attention to hockey, you would notice he plays on the fourth line. So it's reasonable, on a 1.1 million contract (way more valuable than Derek Dorsett). Dorsett has only scored more than 8 goals once and unlike Dorsett, Reaves can actually fight. Who wants an aggressive player that can't fight? Dorsett takes a cap hit of 2.6 million. I'd say Reaves hurts the other team when he's on the ice not his own... Literally.

Shane Prince a good player? Really? This guy hasn't scored more than 5 goals at the NHL level. This guys hasn't scored more than 17 pts in his first 3 seasons in the CHL... I'm not the delusional one here.

ARZ? I guess you meant Zach Aston-Reese. 3rd line potential at most? Three words- Hobey Baker Finalist. One of many accomplishments listed and not listed in my above description. Just for your information honey baker winners are not just some 3rd line players, some past winners include Paul Kariya, Johnny Gaudreau and Jack Eichel. There's a reason he's was undrafted? Ask any scout? Really? You know who wa undrafted? For your information, Martin St. Louis, Peter Stasny, and Curtis Joseph went undrafted, just to name a few, and they were generational talents. I'm not saying Reese will turn out like them but underrating him like your doing is in itself setting yourself up for delusional thinking.

Late first round picks don't matter especially when Islanders would have three (Do I have to explain to you how a late first round pick can still get you great players too). They could keep them and get potential superstars in all spots or they can trade up. Dahlin and Svechnikov will be generational talents.
MIC DROP**
Aug. 8, 2017 at 8:57 p.m.
Chicago
Quoting: MajesticWalrus

Maatta scored 29 points in his healthiest season (78 games). And that was his rookie season too. The fact that it's his rookie season too means he did it with low ice time on top of that. You really think he scored 29 pts on the top unit with letang there. The only thing Pulock has done is score 60pts in the CHL, one good season in his whole career. Maatta has a memorial trophy and two Stanley cups and a bronze medal from the Sochi olympics. The only award Pulock has won is a bronze junior medal. There's a reason he spent a longer amount of time in the minors.

Ryan Reaves has never scored more than 8 goals. But if you actually pay attention to hockey, you would notice he plays on the fourth line. So it's reasonable, on a 1.1 million contract (way more valuable than Derek Dorsett). Dorsett has only scored more than 8 goals once and unlike Dorsett, Reaves can actually fight. Who wants an aggressive player that can't fight? Dorsett takes a cap hit of 2.6 million. I'd say Reaves hurts the other team when he's on the ice not his own... Literally.

Shane Prince a good player? Really? This guy hasn't scored more than 5 goals at the NHL level. This guys hasn't scored more than 17 pts in his first 3 seasons in the CHL... I'm not the delusional one here.

ARZ? I guess you meant Zach Aston-Reese. 3rd line potential at most? Three words- Hobey Baker Finalist. One of many accomplishments listed and not listed in my above description. Just for your information honey baker winners are not just some 3rd line players, some past winners include Paul Kariya, Johnny Gaudreau and Jack Eichel. There's a reason he's was undrafted? Ask any scout? Really? You know who wa undrafted? For your information, Martin St. Louis, Peter Stasny, and Curtis Joseph went undrafted, just to name a few, and they were generational talents. I'm not saying Reese will turn out like them but underrating him like your doing is in itself setting yourself up for delusional thinking.

Late first round picks don't matter especially when Islanders would have three (Do I have to explain to you how a late first round pick can still get you great players too). They could keep them and get potential superstars in all spots or they can trade up. Dahlin and Svechnikov will be generational talents.
MIC DROP**

The bias in your entire argument is so obvious it's hilarious!! Maatta is an injury prone, sluggish defenseman. He isn't the best skater, and extremely overrated. I wouldn't want him on my team. You're comparing a prospect to NHL superstars just because he won a hobey baker. You know who else won a hobey baker? Drew Leblanc. Guess what happened to him? Signed in Germany because after the hawks let him go no other team wanted him. Get real. Reaves is a plug man, STL never goes deep in the playoffs because their 4th line was useless with him on it.
Aug. 8, 2017 at 9:21 p.m.
Booman
Quoting: MajesticWalrus

MIC DROP**

As a Pens fan I think you dropped the mic on your head. There is no way the Islanders even take the call to listen to this offer let alone take it. I appreciate your views on Maatta and ZAR, but they are slightly skewed. As for the person hating on Maatta I believe if he was offered for a pick you would take him.

Tavares for Jake/Sprong+ Schultz +a1st pick and Sheary
Aug. 8, 2017 at 11:19 p.m.
Dude, I wish you were Garth Snow. I really do hahaha
booman877111 liked this.
Jan. 16, 2019 at 12:37 p.m.
Quoting: jkorchok35
Dude, I wish you were Garth Snow. I really do hahaha

If i was the islanders gm, it would be the opposite, i'd be ripping off pittsburgh

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll