SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game

Official BOG Discussion Only Thread

Aug. 16, 2017 at 5:55 p.m.
Stickied
V3 Canucks GM, BOG
Edited Aug. 21, 2017 at 9:34 p.m.
This thread is for discussion and voting between BOG members only.

We ask that other GMs do not post anything in this thread so that the BOG can keep things organized and other GMs can easily see what the BOG is currently up to.

If you have any questions of complaints that you want to submit to the BOG, please use the Board Of General Managers Official Thread.

BOG Members:
ricochetii
phillyjabroni
Turner33
Bo53Horvat
TonyStrecher
DarylthePony
Duster

BOG Agenda:

- Set up a plan for College FAs and Second Wave NHL FA
- Work on recruiting active AGMs
- Discuss GM Game Awards

Current BOG Votes:
Aug. 16, 2017 at 9:04 p.m.
Quoting: Bo53Horvat
Quoting: phillyjabroni
GMs would be responsible for telling the BOG who they would want to have on the list, as they would be present the content and we would make the product. For example, Spencer Foo won't be on the list unless 1 out of the 31 GMs adds him to the list

But I'm talking remaining NHL free agents. Will anybody know who was signed and who is still a FA?

I'm not sure why we are doing a second wave at all. Teams didn't properly strategize if they were banking on the BOG bailing them out and having another opportunity to utilize a fallback, which is having a second waive of FA.

If you need (2) bottom-six forwards, you should bid on players accordingly, such as (6) so that you account in case teams have a better offer. Not bid on (2) and then realize you didn't get your want and than have another chance to recover
Aug. 16, 2017 at 9:21 p.m.
Go Habs Go
There's no harm in adding the unsigned UFA's from the first round into the mix.
Technically, UFA is not a process with an "end". Players are still eligible to be signed into the course of the regular season.

Whether we put them back on the market isn't really a question, as they shouldn't be off the market to begin with.
We simply don't have a method of determining if/when an unsigned player would agree to a contract, or things like PTO's.

Making those UFA's available in some fashion makes sense. This is one way to perhaps decrease their numbers, or at least get the majority of NHL-signed players onto teams.
We can use the waiver process during the regular season for players who sign after opening day, or a similar system for teams that wish to sign such a player.

Jagr doesn't have a contract, for example. If he signs at a later date, a team may be interested, but it isn't a surprise if nobody wants him while he doesn't have a contract.
Other players have signed in the KHL, but often have out clauses and could return to the NHL mid-season as well.
Aug. 16, 2017 at 11:01 p.m.
I assume we'll also have another waiver period after season starts and players are cut? They would become FA's if no one picks them up
Aug. 16, 2017 at 11:03 p.m.
V3 Canucks GM, BOG
Quoting: Turner33
I assume we'll also have another waiver period after season starts and players are cut? They would become FA's if no one picks them up

Wait if someone waives a player and they aren't picked up they become an FA?
Aug. 16, 2017 at 11:05 p.m.
Quoting: TonyStrecher

Wait if someone waives a player and they aren't picked up they become an FA?

I would assume so yes. I think he's talking about buyouts. Waivers as in unconditional waivers.
Aug. 16, 2017 at 11:27 p.m.
Go Habs Go

In season waivers would only be for player reassignments to the minors.
You can't just waive a player and send them to free agency. The only way to drop a contract is via buyout.

Setting opening night rosters would determine which players remain on your NHL roster and which players head to the minors.
Those who aren't exempt but are being assigned to the minors would need to be submitted to waivers.
Aug. 16, 2017 at 11:42 p.m.
V3 Canucks GM, BOG
Quoting: ricochetii

In season waivers would only be for player reassignments to the minors.
You can't just waive a player and send them to free agency. The only way to drop a contract is via buyout.

Setting opening night rosters would determine which players remain on your NHL roster and which players head to the minors.
Those who aren't exempt but are being assigned to the minors would need to be submitted to waivers.

Yeah that makes sense to me
Aug. 17, 2017 at 1:55 a.m.
I may be away the 20th of August, so if we could potentially do the college offers over a 48h period that would be much appreciated. (Cousins birthdays are this weekend)
Aug. 17, 2017 at 11:52 a.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: jmac490
I may be away the 20th of August, so if we could potentially do the college offers over a 48h period that would be much appreciated. (Cousins birthdays are this weekend)

We can look in to that, I don't believe a date has been finalized. For future reference though, please use the Discussion Between BOG and Other GM's Thread, just for the sake of structure and organization.
Aug. 17, 2017 at 12:22 p.m.
For NCAA/CHL/INT'L free agents, teams must privately inform us of the players that they wish to bid on, being bind to that list. This insures that other teams don't benefit from other GMs' hard work and evaluation, simply because they are delusional and don't know who Spencer Foo is.

Thats my take on it. I hate when teams just bid on players they didn't independently know of, and then force the GMs who did the legwork to either invoke waiver priority or simply loose out on their desired player.
Max and TheWhisperer liked this.
Aug. 17, 2017 at 12:32 p.m.
For NCAA/CHL/INT'L free agents, teams must privately inform us of the players that they wish to bid on, being bind to that list. This insures that other teams don't benefit from other GMs' hard work and evaluation, simply because they are delusional and don't know who Spencer Foo is.

Thats my take on it. I hate when teams just bid on players they didn't independently know of, and then force the GMs who did the legwork to either invoke waiver priority or simply loose out on their desired player.

So what will happen with the 2nd wave of NHL free agents?
Aug. 17, 2017 at 3:12 p.m.
V3 Canucks GM, BOG

I think we should have a list of the second wave of NHL FAs, but for the College FAs we should do what Nick said
Aug. 17, 2017 at 3:16 p.m.
I think that we should gather intel to see if the GMs want to have another wave of NHL free agency, prior to constructing the list.
Duster liked this.
Aug. 17, 2017 at 5:20 p.m.

I think we should have a list of the second wave of NHL FAs, but for the College FAs we should do what Nick said

I agree with this
Aug. 17, 2017 at 5:26 p.m.
get ur corsi up

I agree with this

Same.
Aug. 17, 2017 at 5:37 p.m.
4-0 on supporting the GMs telling the BOG who they want to bid on for the NCAA/CHL/INT'L free agency (DTP, Bo, Tony, jabonri all in favor)

That passes per majority rules. I think that we need to further discuss on how we would accumulate data and when we would start bidding.
Daryl and Duster liked this.
Aug. 17, 2017 at 5:42 p.m.
4-0 on supporting the GMs telling the BOG who they want to bid on for the NCAA/CHL/INT'L free agency (DTP, Bo, Tony, jabonri all in favor)

That passes per majority rules. I think that we need to further discuss on how we would accumulate data and when we would start bidding.

Well for starters, are NCAA/CHL/INTL players who signed with an NHL team the only ones who are eligible?
Aug. 17, 2017 at 5:46 p.m.

Well for starters, are NCAA/CHL/INTL players who signed with an NHL team the only ones who are eligible?

I'm going to say no because only one NCAA has signed thus far. If teams want to spend a waiver order on players that may never get a contract, so be it.
Aug. 17, 2017 at 5:51 p.m.

I'm going to say no because only one NCAA has signed thus far. If teams want to spend a waiver order on players that may never get a contract, so be it.

Yeah that's true. I have a list of most (if not all) ELC's signed this offseason and whether that player was drafted by a team or not if you guys want/need it.
Aug. 17, 2017 at 11:01 p.m.
V3 Canucks GM, BOG
I was looking into the Casey DeSmith issue that Jmac mentioned. It appears to me that he never should have been the property of Pittsburgh because he was signed by them months after the GM Game was started. I'm not sure how Florida got him, but I presume he was signed as an FA.
jmac490 liked this.
Aug. 17, 2017 at 11:20 p.m.
Go Habs Go
I was looking into the Casey DeSmith issue that Jmac mentioned. It appears to me that he never should have been the property of Pittsburgh because he was signed by them months after the GM Game was started. I'm not sure how Florida got him, but I presume he was signed as an FA.

I mentioned this to Marco about a week ago when he asked.
Pittsburgh in our game never signed Casey DeSmith (I checked).

Florida legitimately acquired him in free agency and are the rightful owner of the player.

Pittsburgh/Toronto need to reverse the trade (if possible) or come to terms for compensation.

---

5-0 on supporting the GMs telling the BOG who they want to bid on for the NCAA/CHL/INT'L free agency (DTP, Bo, Tony, jabonri, Rico all in favor)
Aug. 17, 2017 at 11:32 p.m.
V3 Canucks GM, BOG
Toronto and Pittsburgh have been informed that they need to work out compensation.
Aug. 18, 2017 at 6:00 a.m.
Quoting: ricochetii

I mentioned this to Marco about a week ago when he asked.
Pittsburgh in our game never signed Casey DeSmith (I checked).

Florida legitimately acquired him in free agency and are the rightful owner of the player.

Pittsburgh/Toronto need to reverse the trade (if possible) or come to terms for compensation.

---

5-0 on supporting the GMs telling the BOG who they want to bid on for the NCAA/CHL/INT'L free agency (DTP, Bo, Tony, jabonri, Rico, Duster all in favor)

6-0 even though it already passed...
Aug. 18, 2017 at 3:43 p.m.

Yeah that's true. I have a list of most (if not all) ELC's signed this offseason and whether that player was drafted by a team or not if you guys want/need it.
Aug. 18, 2017 at 4:45 p.m.

We will. Unless someone drafted something already

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll