SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Who will be the NHL teams in 19-20?

Sep. 8, 2017 at 2:20 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
How many teams will there be and where will the teams be? I think there will be 32, with Quebec added as an expansion team, and either the rest of the teams the same or maybe the Coyotes move to Seattle or Quebec and if they move to Quebec then Seattle would be an expansion team ... what do you think?
Sep. 8, 2017 at 2:29 p.m.
If a team was to expand, it would need to be a western conference location. Balance out the conferences without making teams cross back over ie. Detroit, columbus. If i was picking an expansion team. Kansas City would make a lot of sense. They can drop right into central divison and thus finally having a balanced league again
Sep. 8, 2017 at 2:36 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Pasta88Sauce
If a team was to expand, it would need to be a western conference location. Balance out the conferences without making teams cross back over ie. Detroit, columbus. If i was picking an expansion team. Kansas City would make a lot of sense. They can drop right into central divison and thus finally having a balanced league again

well they could always move Detroit over to the west, as they are like right in that area or east and west. The NHL has to bring the NHL back to Quebec
or if the Yotes move they'd probably have Quebec in the west for a little bit.
Sep. 8, 2017 at 2:40 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan

well they could always move Detroit over to the west, as they are like right in that area or east and west. The NHL has to bring the NHL back to Quebec

Detroit won't move back to the West. They hated the travel involved, which is why they pushed to be in the East to begin with. Their owner would vote down any expansion team in the East that would require them to move to the West again.

My guess is Seattle gets an expansion team within the next 2-3 years. Florida MAY end up relocating to Quebec on the East if they continue to decline.
Sep. 8, 2017 at 2:40 p.m.

quebec in the west for a bit? You do know where quebec city is located right?
Mr_cap liked this.
Sep. 8, 2017 at 2:41 p.m.
Quoting: mtdavis311

Detroit won't move back to the West. They hated the travel involved, which is why they pushed to be in the East to begin with. Their owner would vote down any expansion team in the East that would require them to move to the West again.

My guess is Seattle gets an expansion team within the next 2-3 years. Florida MAY end up relocating to Quebec on the East if they continue to decline.

if seatle was to get an expansion team. Which team would you take out of the pacific and move into the central?
Sep. 8, 2017 at 2:56 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

I think Quebec needs a team ... they need to bring back the nordiques, but there's nobody in the east to move ... look what happened with the Jets, they stayed in the east for 2 years.

just like Winnipeg was in the east for 2 years ...
Sep. 8, 2017 at 2:57 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Detroit is like right near the west ... they're the most western eastern conference team.
Sep. 8, 2017 at 3:01 p.m.

I think Quebec needs a team ... they need to bring back the nordiques, but there's nobody in the east to move ... look what happened with the Jets, they stayed in the east for 2 years.

just like Winnipeg was in the east for 2 years ...

winnipeg being in the east is a lot different than quebec being in the west. Thats like asking vancouver to be in the east
Sep. 8, 2017 at 3:25 p.m.
Below Market Value
Detroit is like right near the west ... they're the most western eastern conference team.

They're in the Eastern Time Zone, which is the primary factor in determining geographic conference splits. Having an Eastern Time Zone team travel out of their zone (usually 2+ time zones) for every conference and division game isn't good for the team or the fans watching their games.
Sep. 8, 2017 at 3:26 p.m.
Below Market Value
Sep. 8, 2017 at 4:01 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast

They're in the Eastern Time Zone, which is the primary factor in determining geographic conference splits. Having an Eastern Time Zone team travel out of their zone (usually 2+ time zones) for every conference and division game isn't good for the team or the fans watching their games.

that's fair, but then how would the NHL get a Quebec team without moving someone to the west?
Sep. 8, 2017 at 4:03 p.m.

that's fair, but then how would the NHL get a Quebec team without moving someone to the west?

someone from the east relocates
Sep. 8, 2017 at 4:05 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

someone from the east relocates

but there's nobody in the east to move.
Sep. 8, 2017 at 4:05 p.m.

florida, carolina. islanders (lol)
Sep. 8, 2017 at 4:08 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Edited Sep. 8, 2017 at 4:13 p.m.
To make the conferences even;

- Detroit moves out West again, Expansion in Quebec
•or•
- Carolina/Florida moves to Quebec, Expansion in Seattle/KC
•or•
- Arizona moves to Seattle/KC, Expansion in KC/Seattle, Carolina/Florida moves to Quebec
•or•
Carolina/Florida moves to KC/Seattle, Carolina/Florida moves to Quebec, Expansion in Seattle/KC, Nashville moves into the East
Sep. 8, 2017 at 4:09 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

those teams shouldn't get moved ... the only team that i think has a very good chance of being moved is the Yotes. The league is trying not to have to move teams, except the Yotes just might have to get moved as Arizona really isn't a hockey place.
The Islanders and Hurricanes have quite a bit of history, they shouldn't be moved.

The Panthers maybe could get moved but at least the fans there are pretty big fans even if there aren't that many.
Sep. 8, 2017 at 4:11 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
If there's an expansion team, what would be a good name? For me, the Quebec Nordiques. Any ideas?
Sep. 8, 2017 at 4:13 p.m.

those teams shouldn't get moved ... the only team that i think has a very good chance of being moved is the Yotes. The league is trying not to have to move teams, except the Yotes just might have to get moved as Arizona really isn't a hockey place.
The Islanders and Hurricanes have quite a bit of history, they shouldn't be moved.

The Panthers maybe could get moved but at least the fans there are pretty big fans even if there aren't that many.

Carolina having "history" doesnt matter. they have the lowest attendance % and its not even close
Sep. 8, 2017 at 4:16 p.m.
Quebec had history. They were moved. Hartford had history. They were moved. OG Winnipeg had history. They were moved/
Pasta88Sauce liked this.
Sep. 8, 2017 at 4:19 p.m.
Below Market Value
If there's an expansion team, what would be a good name? For me, the Quebec Nordiques. Any ideas?

Wow, that's a fantastic name. How'd you come up with that?
Sep. 8, 2017 at 4:22 p.m.

The Islanders and Hurricanes history won't mean a thing if the owners are losing money off of poor attendance.

I will say, I think the NHL would step in and do what it needs to do to keep the Isles in NY, because they don't want to lose the second team in that market.

Carolina could definitely be a team on the move. Their attendance is dismal. Florida's is pretty bad as well, and given that they are about to hit a bit of a rebuild/retool, it's likely not going to improve anytime soon.
Sep. 8, 2017 at 4:36 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Wow, that's a fantastic name. How'd you come up with that?

you know how

The Islanders and Hurricanes history won't mean a thing if the owners are losing money off of poor attendance.

I will say, I think the NHL would step in and do what it needs to do to keep the Isles in NY, because they don't want to lose the second team in that market.

Carolina could definitely be a team on the move. Their attendance is dismal. Florida's is pretty bad as well, and given that they are about to hit a bit of a rebuild/retool, it's likely not going to improve anytime soon.

By history i pretty much mean ... cups.
Sep. 8, 2017 at 4:43 p.m.
Philly Sports Fan
I remember talking hockey with a truck driver from Carolina at my old job around 06/07. He told me they don't show the games on TV. He told me they have a very small group of passionate fans. Very difficult to generate interest in the game. It doesn't help that the team struggled after they won the cup. NFL was a hard sell for years too. I wouldn't be shocked to see them move.
Sep. 8, 2017 at 4:48 p.m.
Arizona has been on life support the last 10 years... Yet, they still haven't moved because Gary Bettman and his ***** ass are determined to keep a team in Zona. The excuse to keep Zona around rn is that they helped produced Matthews which is bullshit. By that logic, there should be a team in Cole Harbour/Halifax since MacKinnon and Crosby come from Cole Harbour.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll