SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Who is Going to Retire this Year?

Mar. 20, 2018 at 5:02 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Sedin’s? Cullen? Thornton?

Any guesses as to who we’ll see depart at the end of this season?
Mar. 20, 2018 at 5:11 p.m.
Buchnevesey
Mike Fisher? squinty smile
Mar. 20, 2018 at 5:14 p.m.
While it isn’t out of the question, I’m not sure the Sedins will retire this year. I expect a set of one year, $5M contracts to be handed out. Nor they nor management has hinted to anything that remotely suggests retirement...other than Eagle they’re the only vets I want on this team lol.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Mar. 20, 2018 at 5:22 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Yep, I'll go with the Sedins and Cullen. Thornton if his knee is bad. Polak and Komarov
Mar. 20, 2018 at 5:24 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: palhal
Yep, I'll go with the Sedins and Cullen. Thornton if his knee is bad. Polak and Komarov

Really Komarov. What makes you think that?
Mar. 20, 2018 at 5:27 p.m.
Braydon Coburn

#FreeKoekkoek&Dotchin
Mar. 20, 2018 at 5:45 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Vrbata, Fisher, Cullen
Mar. 20, 2018 at 6:34 p.m.
HawksFan28
If Joe Thornton retires this year then he's dumber than I suspected. You would have to be dumb to retire when a team offers you 8 million at your age. If Thornton got 8 million this year you can bet Doug Wilson will be more than happy to give him 6 million being a year older, lol and any player that would turn that down to retire is an idiot

I think a lot of these older guys will play until teams stop paying them.

The Sedin's are tricky tho, because they would be a package which would require 2 roster spots, so the question for them is does a team offer up a few million each while giving 2 old dudes roster spots?

I mean if someone offers them contracts you can bet they will play..
Mar. 20, 2018 at 6:40 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Daryl
Really Komarov. What makes you think that?

Well, he won't be resigned by the Leafs IMO. I kinda think he just won't play for 1m elsewhere, except maybe Finland. Just my thought.
Mar. 20, 2018 at 6:46 p.m.
get ur corsi up
@palhal I agree Komarov won't be a Leaf next year, however I think a lot of teams would value his skill as a depth add
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Mar. 20, 2018 at 6:46 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Accidental Double Post
Mar. 20, 2018 at 6:47 p.m.
Accidental Triple Post

Control yourself grasshopper
Mar. 20, 2018 at 6:49 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: DavidBooth7
Control yourself grasshopper

My computer messes up. One time I posted 9 times all the same thing lol.
nobody and rangersandislesfan liked this.
Mar. 20, 2018 at 6:50 p.m.

You’re not alone. My phones autocorrect spells “juice” as “dinosaur” rolling eyes
Daryl and rangersandislesfan liked this.
Mar. 20, 2018 at 6:52 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: DavidBooth7
You’re not alone. My phones autocorrect spells “juice” as “dinosaur” rolling eyes

Auto-correct is cruel.
nobody and rangersandislesfan liked this.
Mar. 20, 2018 at 7:03 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: HawksFan28
If Joe Thornton retires this year then he's dumber than I suspected. You would have to be dumb to retire when a team offers you 8 million at your age. If Thornton got 8 million this year you can bet Doug Wilson will be more than happy to give him 6 million being a year older, lol and any player that would turn that down to retire is an idiot

I think a lot of these older guys will play until teams stop paying them.

The Sedin's are tricky tho, because they would be a package which would require 2 roster spots, so the question for them is does a team offer up a few million each while giving 2 old dudes roster spots?

I mean if someone offers them contracts you can bet they will play..

If John Tavares hits free agency, San Jose is the favorite for him. Thornton is only returning if the Sharks miss out on JT, and he won’t get $6M on a bum knee
Mar. 20, 2018 at 7:14 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: krakowitz
If John Tavares hits free agency, San Jose is the favorite for him. Thornton is only returning if the Sharks miss out on JT, and he won’t get $6M on a bum knee

My point is that if there is $$$ being offered then he will play.

Also, San Jose would be a fit for Tavares but just because a team is a fit for a player that doesn't mean they're targeting said player...

Vegas is also another fit for Tavares, perhaps even a better fit considering Vegas needs a face to their franchise and Tavares fits that bill..

It will be interesting to see how the Tavares drama plays out...

My top 5 are:

1. Islanders
2. Vegas
3. San Jose
4. Toronto
5. New York Rangers

And I don't think the Rangers have a chance because they're no where close to contending but they could offer him 14 million tho and he wouldn't even have to move. So the Rangers would be my pick if Tavares is greedy - but I don't think he is.
Mar. 20, 2018 at 7:17 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

Also, San Jose would be a fit for Tavares but just because a team is a fit for a player that doesn't mean they're targeting said player...

Vegas is also another fit for Tavares, perhaps even a better fit considering Vegas needs a face to their franchise and Tavares fits that bill..

My top 5 are:

1. Islanders
2. Vegas
3. San Jose
4. Toronto
5. New York Rangers

And I don't think the Rangers have a chance because they're no where close to contending but they could offer him 14 million tho and he wouldn't even have to move.

Toronto in your top 5 makes you lose any credibility. He’s not taking a 1 year deal, which is the only way they can afford him. They’re also going to want to spend money to upgrade their RHD in the near future. Two $10M+ players on the same team is good for nobody. You should know...
Mar. 20, 2018 at 7:24 p.m.
get ur corsi up

My top 5 are:

1. Islanders
2. Vegas
3. San Jose
4. Toronto
5. New York Rangers

And I don't think the Rangers have a chance because they're no where close to contending but they could offer him 14 million tho and he wouldn't even have to move. So the Rangers would be my pick if Tavares is greedy - but I don't think he is.

Absolutely no chance the Leafs can sign Tavares, impossible, like @krakowitz said. I honestly think Vegas won't either (I see Vegas coming back to earth next season, similar to Ottawa this year). To me San Jose makes the most sense if the Isles lose him.
Mar. 20, 2018 at 7:31 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: krakowitz
Toronto in your top 5 makes you lose any credibility. He’s not taking a 1 year deal, which is the only way they can afford him. They’re also going to want to spend money to upgrade their RHD in the near future. Two $10M+ players on the same team is good for nobody. You should know...

Oh, don't get me wrong it would be absolutely stupid for Lou to sign Tavares but you never know.... I read that Tavares would "love" to play in Toronto and that Toronto is possible.. Obviously that would be up to Lou... I've seen crazier thing happen...

IMO, if Tavares leaves the Islanders it will be a 2 dog race between San Jose (if they're interested) and Las Vegas... I would assume Vegas has lots of interest because Vegas needs a face for their franchise and not too many franchise players are available as UFA's at 27-years-old....

The odds of Tavares signing in Toronto are almost zero, however it would be a place it would want to go. Toronto fits all of the criteria one would think he has for a team he's willing to play for, but at the same time I don't think Lou is stupid enough to sign him knowing that he has to re-sign Matthews, Marner and Nylander.

But at the same time tho Lou could sign Tavares and trade one of Marner or Nylander for a boatload of assets and that is something to consider.
Mar. 20, 2018 at 7:44 p.m.
HawksFan28
Absolutely no chance the Leafs can sign Tavares, impossible, like @krakowitz said. I honestly think Vegas won't either (I see Vegas coming back to earth next season, similar to Ottawa this year). To me San Jose makes the most sense if the Isles lose him.

I don't think Lou would sign Tavares either, but if Lou came calling Tavares would sign.

Of course at the same time tho Lou could sign Tavares and trade one of Nylander or Marner for a boatload of assets.. Lou could use one of them to fill other needs Toronto has - like bringing in a stud defenseman... Tavares is only 27 so it's not like he's that old.

I gotta disagree with you on Vegas tho.. Every team has a face of their franchise except for Vegas, and you can bet signing Tavares would be a message to the fans that they want to win and that will sell seats.. It's a good hockey move and a good PR move. Right now Vegas doesn't have a legitimate franchise player, they have the cap space and they have the need so I think Vegas is a really good fit..

And yes I agree Vegas has overachieved this season and will fall back to earth but that doesn't mean they wont be a good team. Vegas certainly has a bright future with all the picks and the young assets they piled up...
Mar. 20, 2018 at 7:59 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

I think San Jose and St. Louis are the teams that would be the frontrunners. Before the emergence of Dubois, I would’ve said Columbus tries to move money around and get him. I could see New Jersey making a play, and I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Colorado kick the tires, because they have plenty of cap space and the thought of him and Mackinnon on the same team is trouble for the Central
Mar. 20, 2018 at 8:21 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

idk if it was you but i saw that on this site once ... someone posted 9 times, lol.
Mar. 20, 2018 at 8:22 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Auto-correct is cruel.

The most annoying part is that it often won't take player names on CF, because it thinks i'm trying to say something else.
Mar. 20, 2018 at 8:22 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

My top 5 are:

1. Islanders
2. Vegas
3. San Jose
4. Toronto
5. New York Rangers

He isn't signing with the Leafs or Rangers.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll