SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Hey Leafs fans, does this trade sound good?

Created by: Zach
Team: 2017-18 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 28, 2018
Published: Mar. 28, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$75,000,000$52,863,691$0$7,517,500$22,136,309
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$925,000$925,000
LW, C
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$625,000$625,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 6
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
RW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 6
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,475,000$1,475,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$718,333$718,333 (Performance Bonus$60,000$60K)
RW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$5,600,000$5,600,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$650,000$650,000
RD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$257,500$258K)
LD
UFA - 3
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,142,857$5,142,857
RD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 28, 2018 at 11:06 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Hell no! I wouldn't give Nylander alone for Risto, not even that package. Liljegren is going to be better than Risto in few years. And Nylander is middle-6 C we would need. No thanks.
Juice liked this.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 11:09 a.m.
Quoting: SammyT_51
Hell no! I wouldn't give Nylander alone for Risto, not even that package. Liljegren is going to be better than Risto in few years. And Nylander is middle-6 C we would need. No thanks.

Completely agree, No deal from me
SammyT_51 and Juice liked this.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 11:21 a.m.
Straight up might be interesting but still likely a no.

From a contract perspective....Risto has a long term $5.4 deal and Nylander will for sure be higher so leafs gain some certainty
From a lineup perspective...if Nylander is a winger long-term, the W for D swap is attractive

Biggest hiccups are
1. I see Nylander as a bigger impact player both now and in the future and worth the higher cap hit
2. Nazem Kadri and Risto might not make it out of their first practice together without someone dying
SammyT_51 liked this.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 11:25 a.m.
Eichel Tower
Well you can see how highly the leaf fans value their draft picks from a draft that was considered one of the weakest drafts in years. So Nylander's 128 pts that last 3 years v Ristolainen's 121 pts over that same period much more valuable. This deal is a big NO, not from a leaf's fan but from a casual hockey fan.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 11:41 a.m.
Quoting: GMTD
Well you can see how highly the leaf fans value their draft picks from a draft that was considered one of the weakest drafts in years. So Nylander's 128 pts that last 3 years v Ristolainen's 121 pts over that same period much more valuable. This deal is a big NO, not from a leaf's fan but from a casual hockey fan.

Hey bud...way to compare points without taking into consideration games played. PPG over the last 3 years: Nylander = .715, Risto = .530

If you take just last year and this year into account (since last year was Nylander's rookie season), it's similar: Nylander = .732, Risto = .548

Risto had a year and a half as a pro before Nylander was called up at the end of the season a couple years ago.

No one is arguing that Risto isn't a great offensive D-man, or that comparing points from a winger vs d-man is a fair side-by-side, but don't bring your clown comparisons here.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 11:45 a.m.
Buffalo's D was a trainwreck pre-trade...
Mar. 28, 2018 at 11:50 a.m.
Quoting: SammyT_51

I mean, I get that you wouldn't want to do this, but Liljegren has 13 points in the AHL. In his draft year ristolainen had 20 points in 34 AHL games and played 34 NHL games. At age 21 he was a 41 point, top pairing 26 minute per game defenseman. To just assume your mid 1st round pick is going to be better is pretty audacious.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 11:54 a.m.
Eichel Tower
Quoting: Juice
Hey bud...way to compare points without taking into consideration games played. PPG over the last 3 years: Nylander = .715, Risto = .530

If you take just last year and this year into account (since last year was Nylander's rookie season), it's similar: Nylander = .732, Risto = .548

Risto had a year and a half as a pro before Nylander was called up at the end of the season a couple years ago.

No one is arguing that Risto isn't a great offensive D-man, or that comparing points from a winger vs d-man is a fair side-by-side, but don't bring your clown comparisons here.

Thank you for your comment. Risto is a defense-man playing for THE lowest scoring teams in the NHL and Nylander is a forward who plays for 2nd highest scoring NHL team. Please avoid insulting me when your comparison is actually much weaker than mine, forwards ARE suppose to score MUCH more than defense-men. Finally, I would imagine if Risto was on a team that had 80 more goals, his pts/gm would be even higher than Nylander.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 11:55 a.m.
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
I mean, I get that you wouldn't want to do this, but Liljegren has 13 points in the AHL. In his draft year ristolainen had 20 points in 34 AHL games and played 34 NHL games. At age 21 he was a 41 point, top pairing 26 minute per game defenseman. To just assume your mid 1st round pick is going to be better is pretty audacious.

This is true. Nobody can assume one will have a better career over the other. That mid-pick was projected to go top-3 at one point early last season....but he could just as easily flame out as he could be a future #1 d-man.

If the trade was Liljegren + 1st + another young leaf winger not named Nylander or Marner...then the resistance from Leafs hoards would be lessened
Mar. 28, 2018 at 11:56 a.m.
Thank you for your comment. Risto is a defense-man playing for THE lowest scoring teams in the NHL and Nylander is a forward who plays for 2nd highest scoring NHL team. Please avoid insulting me when your comparison is actually much weaker than mine, forwards ARE suppose to score MUCH more than defense-men. Finally, I would imagine if Risto was on a team that had 80 more goals, his pts/gm would be even higher than Nylander.

You're the one that wanted to compare total points...not me. Thanks for taking my comment/rationale and explaining it to me though...that was helpful
Mar. 28, 2018 at 11:58 a.m.
This is true. Nobody can assume one will have a better career over the other. That mid-pick was projected to go top-3 at one point early last season....but he could just as easily flame out as he could be a future #1 d-man.
FIr

If the trade was Liljegren + 1st + another young leaf winger not named Nylander or Marner...then the resistance from Leafs hoards would be lessened

I'm only responding to a hypothetical trade, I don't think the sabres and leafs would ever be significant trade partners, but you don't trade a 23 year old top pairing defenseman who plays top 5 minutes in the league, puts up 40 points a season and is locked up long term at a reasonable salary unless you are getting an elite player(s) back
Mar. 28, 2018 at 12:04 p.m.

I agree with you. Wouldn't make sense for either team to do this deal. One-for-one...maybe as it'd be like a Johanen-Jones trade between two clubs headed in a similar direction...but even then it's a lot of risk from both sides.
DJSums17 liked this.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 12:20 p.m.
Eichel Tower
You're the one that wanted to compare total points...not me. Thanks for taking my comment/rationale and explaining it to me though...that was helpful

Thanks I enjoy conversing because it helps me to consider relative values. But let's compare a recent block buster trade, Larsson for Hall. I would not trade Risto for Larsson and a 20th OA 1st nor would I trade Hall for Nylander and a 20 OA. I have watched all 4 of them play so it is based on observation, not stats nor other peoples comments So there you have my opinion summed in a comparison trades. If you feel differently that is fine, but I think you would agree with my assessment of Hall > Nylander and Risto > Larsson. So by simple math Risto >> Nylander.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 12:28 p.m.
Banned
Thanks I enjoy conversing because it helps me to consider relative values. But let's compare a recent block buster trade, Larsson for Hall. I would not trade Risto for Larsson and a 20th OA 1st nor would I trade Hall for Nylander and a 20 OA. I have watched all 4 of them play so it is based on observation, not stats nor other peoples comments So there you have my opinion summed in a comparison trades. If you feel differently that is fine, but I think you would agree with my assessment of Hall > Nylander and Risto > Larsson. So by simple math Risto >> Nylander.

Using these comparatives is stupid.

This trade makes zero sense for the Leafs because the last thing they need is another offensive D-man in Risto and sorry to say it but Buffalo has absolute trash on the back end other than Risto.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 12:33 p.m.

I'd only challenge a couple minor things from your comment. Namely the fact that the Hall-Larsson trade was a one-off deal. A bone-headed move by Chiarelli. Everyone (myself included) thought that this was going to be the new trade market for d-men...except no other GM was stupid enough to make a deal like that. So while I agree that Hall > Nylander and Risto > Larsson...the trouble is comparing top end forwards vs top end d-men and I don't think the Hall-Larsson trade is the best template for doing so. So the transitive property you used to determine Risto > Nylander isn't accurate IMO.

That being said...I'm already on record here saying that Nylander for Riso straight up would be interesting and that there's obvious benefits to the leafs to do so. A scenario where the leafs would include their top d prospect + a 2nd rounder in addition to Nylander makes it an absolute 'no' from the leafs side of things.

A lot of it probably has to do with what each fan base sees on the regular. Leaf fans see Nylander's magic, especially with Matthews, and no one wants to break that up. Then we see all the games we have vs. Buffalo...and while Risto tends to rack up an assist or two and get under skins, I don't think most of us look and him and wish we could swap Nylander for him...whether that's fair or not.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 12:35 p.m.
This is a hell no from Leafs. I might trade Lilegren and the pick for Risto only because, Lilegren is supposed to be as good as him or even better so you add the pick as "an insurance policy" for Sabres. Nylander I wouldn't trade for Risto straight up let alone that package. Him and Matthews have SO much chemistry it's insane so hell no!
Mar. 28, 2018 at 12:38 p.m.

Lilegren was slated to go top 3, he had mono and that put down his draft value.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 12:38 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Leafs say no, what's really in for the Leafs? Risto is a UFA in four years. Nylander is 1.5 years younger and has at least four years (maybe five) of Leafs control. Liljegren is one of few junior aged players in the AHL, and the Leafs have hopes, reasonable hopes that he is going to a good NHLers starting in 2019. And you want a 2nd rounder too for Sabres. Though I don't know why you would include a second rounder, cause you wrote earlier than even the 18th pick overall (Liljegren) is meaningless.
How many years are we going to talk about the Larson/Hall trade as a basis for trades. C'mon if that is the basis as a "factual" argument, there is no discussion.

If stats are so important (not saying that they are but since "points" for mentioned in the discussion). Risto minus 19. Nylander plus 18.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 12:39 p.m.
Eichel Tower
Quoting: DirtyDangles
Using these comparatives is stupid.

This trade makes zero sense for the Leafs because the last thing they need is another offensive D-man in Risto and sorry to say it but Buffalo has absolute trash on the back end other than Risto.

Thank you for you comment. Of course the comparisons are stupid because they are actual trades. No need to say you are sorry because you are correct the Buffalo defense is terrible. A point I have made for some time now, that DATM traded away a good defense (Myers, McNabb, Zaderov, & Pysyk and let Ruhwedel go for nothing), he rushed the rebuild and took a last place team with a great future and turned into a last place team with no future stocked with nothing but losers. But to the trade, I think Zach is looking for feedback on the value of the players traded more than if the trade is possible. NONE of the trades here are POSSIBLE, they are all fake.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 12:44 p.m.
Eichel Tower
I'd only challenge a couple minor things from your comment. Namely the fact that the Hall-Larsson trade was a one-off deal. A bone-headed move by Chiarelli. Everyone (myself included) thought that this was going to be the new trade market for d-men...except no other GM was stupid enough to make a deal like that. So while I agree that Hall > Nylander and Risto > Larsson...the trouble is comparing top end forwards vs top end d-men and I don't think the Hall-Larsson trade is the best template for doing so. So the transitive property you used to determine Risto > Nylander isn't accurate IMO.

Let me add one final comment, if Liljegren is that good, then the leafs got the player out of that draft by a long mile.

That being said...I'm already on record here saying that Nylander for Riso straight up would be interesting and that there's obvious benefits to the leafs to do so. A scenario where the leafs would include their top d prospect + a 2nd rounder in addition to Nylander makes it an absolute 'no' from the leafs side of things.

A lot of it probably has to do with what each fan base sees on the regular. Leaf fans see Nylander's magic, especially with Matthews, and no one wants to break that up. Then we see all the games we have vs. Buffalo...and while Risto tends to rack up an assist or two and get under skins, I don't think most of us look and him and wish we could swap Nylander for him...whether that's fair or not.

Thank you for your comment. We definitely agree on the Larsson-Hall trade and the evaluation of Hall,> Nylander and Risto > Larsson. OK fair enough, Leaf fans love Nylander and Buffalo loves Ristolainen so let's agree that this is not a good trade for either team.
Juice liked this.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 12:46 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Leafs say no, what's really in for the Leafs? Risto is a UFA in four years. Nylander is 1.5 years younger and has at least four years (maybe five) of Leafs control. Liljegren is one of few junior aged players in the AHL, and the Leafs have hopes, reasonable hopes that he is going to a good NHLers starting in 2019. And you want a 2nd rounder too for Sabres. Though I don't know why you would include a second rounder, cause you wrote earlier than even the 18th pick overall (Liljegren) is meaningless.
How many years are we going to talk about the Larson/Hall trade as a basis for trades. C'mon if that is the basis as a "factual" argument, there is no discussion.

If stats are so important (not saying that they are but since "points" for mentioned in the discussion). Risto minus 19. Nylander plus 18.

a top paring RHD who is 23 years old, plays 26 plus minutes a night #1 PP, #1 PK, 40 points per season, locked up long term at a reasonable salary.

LOL at saying ONLY 4 years from UFA.

Not saying the trade happens, but LOL at what is in it for Leafs.
GMTD liked this.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 12:58 p.m.
Quoting: palhal

You and I agree on a lot of things...but one area I always disagree with is how you lower someones value based on UFA status when they still have multiple years left. Risto is on a great contract and, IMO, would be one of the positives that would come out of a Nylander-Risto swap
GMTD liked this.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 1:05 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
You and I agree on a lot of things...but one area I always disagree with is how you lower someones value based on UFA status when they still have multiple years left. Risto is on a great contract and, IMO, would be one of the positives that would come out of a Nylander-Risto swap

Point is it wasn't Risto and Nylander swap. It included the Leafs top prospect. Yeah, you say Risto and Nylander could be considered a fair swap.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 1:12 p.m.
Eichel Tower
Quoting: DJSums17
Lilegren was slated to go top 3, he had mono and that put down his draft value.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/2017-nhl-draft-do-over-panel-of-scouts-execs-and-gms-redo-the-first-round
Mar. 28, 2018 at 1:19 p.m.

Lol you pick a Hockey News article to help your argument??? That's hilarious

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll