Forums/Armchair-GM

They need to win sometime soon

Created by: FryesLeapMaine
Team: 2018-19 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 7, 2018
Published: Apr. 7, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Small cap, but big contracts to sign in one year.

I think this squad has a chance at the postseason. Top 9 wingers and top 6 defenders are remodeled. Lmk what you think.

Reworked mock. Signings increased. Jt added. Moulson dumped. Lineup shuffled. Lmk how it is now.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,200,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
5$4,950,000
2$900,000
2$950,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
8$13,000,000
3$2,200,000
4$3,675,000
4$4,150,000
3$1,125,000
Trades
CAR
  1. Bogosian, Zach
  2. O'Reilly, Ryan
  3. 2019 2nd round pick (SJS)
  4. 2019 2nd round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. Carlo, Brandon
  2. Heinen, Danton
  3. 2019 2nd round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
I’m a bruins fan, if we can take the cap hit I do this upgrade.
BUF
  1. 2019 4th round pick (DAL)
Additional Details:
Dallas could use more competition for their young guys. Beaulieu may be the #7 but he’d offer pressure on the others making. Them better.
BUF
  1. 2019 4th round pick (EDM)
BUF
  1. 2019 2nd round pick (CGY)
NYI
    Robin Lehner. Rfa rights. Side deal.
    BUF
      JT rights before ufa. Pegula sells him on team and extra year term.
      NYI
      1. 2019 3rd round pick (BUF)
      BUF
      1. 2019 3rd round pick (CGY)
      Additional Details:
      Arizona takes on the cap to move up 31 slots in the draft from around 80 to around 50. I think it works out well that it’s the same teams pick. I think the value of moving up like that would equal a 3rd rounder.
      ARI
      1. Moulson, Matt
      2. 2019 2nd round pick (CGY)
      BUF
      1. 2019 3rd round pick (MTL)
      2. 2020 4th round pick (MTL)
      Additional Details:
      Buffalo unloads McCabe for 2 futures. I couldn’t find a mtl prospect worth a 4th, so it ends up both being picks.
      MTL
      1. McCabe, Jake
      Additional Details:
      Montreal can get rid of schlemko after this move. I think McCabe could be a solid player for them and a fresh start could help his game.
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the CGY
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the SJS
      Logo of the DAL
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the BUF
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      23$80,000,000$70,513,334$0$1,062,500$9,486,666
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      $2,860,000$2,860,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $13,000,000$13,000,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 7
      $4,950,000$4,950,000
      RW
      UFA - 2
      $872,500$872,500 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $10,000,000$10,000,000
      C
      UFA - 8
      $5,600,000$5,600,000
      RW
      M-NTC, NMC
      UFA - 1
      $2,200,000$2,200,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 3
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      LW, C
      RFA - 2
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 5
      $1,475,000$1,475,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      $650,000$650,000
      LW, C
      UFA - 1
      $850,000$850,000
      RW
      UFA - 1
      $900,000$900,000
      LW
      UFA - 2
      $850,000$850,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      LD
      UFA - 2
      $4,150,000$4,150,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $4,150,000$4,150,000
      G
      UFA - 3
      $3,675,000$3,675,000
      LD
      UFA - 4
      $789,167$789,167
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      LD
      UFA - 2
      $1,200,000$1,200,000
      LD
      UFA
      $1,125,000$1,125,000
      RD
      UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Apr. 7, 2018 at 7:22 p.m.
      First off thank you for the full disclosure on being a Bruins fan.

As a long standing season ticket holder I an 'Cybil' on your team..... great that the team would be more competitive which means more opportunity to not be crippled when selling my extra seats.... then again I do not want to trade Risto.

As is my standard I will give you my points of reference on your team:

1. Risto deal is not for me. I could not stomach watching him play for the Bruins or any other team in the division.... though you are giving fair value in the trade;

2. I really like the Carolina deal. Tough to give up the #32 pick in this years draft but again you have provided very good value back. Would Carolina deal their 'Captian'?

3. Dallas, Edmonton & NYI deals work for both teams;

4. I would like to see Casey Nelson back in Buffalo but based on the signing of Hickey & Hoden you do not have room unless he agrees to a 2 way contract. I assume you would leave Guhle in Rochester. If we get Faulk I think we could bypass Holden signing;

A fantastic job all around!!!!!!
      Apr. 7, 2018 at 7:29 p.m.
      Quoting: wagsnags

As a long standing season ticket holder I an 'Cybil' on your team..... great that the team would be more competitive which means more opportunity to not be crippled when selling my extra seats.... then again I do not want to trade Risto.

1. Risto deal is not for me. I could not stomach watching him play for the Bruins or any other team in the division.... though you are giving fair value in the trade;

2. I really like the Carolina deal. Tough to give up the #32 pick in this years draft but again you have provided very good value back. Would Carolina deal their 'Captian'?

4. I would like to see Casey Nelson back in Buffalo but based on the signing of Hickey & Hoden you do not have room unless he agrees to a 2 way contract. I assume you would leave Guhle in Rochester. If we get Faulk I think we could bypass Holden signing;

Nelson and Guhle are definitely on the team next year. so is CJ smith
      Apr. 7, 2018 at 7:33 p.m.
      Sabres are elite
      Ya you didn't even sign CJ, our best prospect aside from Mittelstadt. Your value for Risto is low, you need to send back more
      Apr. 7, 2018 at 7:53 p.m.
      I like Eich
      Quoting: Skyraider112
      Ya you didn't even sign CJ, our best prospect aside from Mittelstadt. Your value for Risto is low, you need to send back more

I don’t see CJ in Buffalo just yet. ROCH start and injury call up wouldn’t hurt. I don’t think his value for Risto is horrible, but for a in division trade I agree he’d need to pay more
      Apr. 7, 2018 at 8:07 p.m.
      Quoting: mikeyscav
      I don’t see CJ in Buffalo just yet. ROCH start and injury call up wouldn’t hurt. I don’t think his value for Risto is horrible, but for a in division trade I agree he’d need to pay more

Don’t underestimate Carlo, he was a top pair d last season in a shutdown role. Franchise d (mcavoy) > top pair d (Carlo). That’s why he slid. Heinen is a 45 point lw.... as a youngster ... I thought that deal was much better than what I saw buf fans getting for him today.... sorry if it’s less but I thought these guys strengths would make your team greater.
      Apr. 7, 2018 at 8:18 p.m.
      I like Eich
      Quoting: FryesLeapMaine
      Don’t underestimate Carlo, he was a top pair d last season in a shutdown role. Franchise d (mcavoy) > top pair d (Carlo). That’s why he slid. Heinen is a 45 point lw.... as a youngster ... I thought that deal was much better than what I saw buf fans getting for him today.... sorry if it’s less but I thought these guys strengths would make your team greater.

I’m not necessarily talking down on these guys, it’s just the value Risto brings to our team and moving him in the roster
      Apr. 7, 2018 at 8:20 p.m.
      Quoting: mikeyscav
      I’m not necessarily talking down on these guys, it’s just the value Risto brings to our team and moving him in the roster[/quote

Diversify your portfolio....
      Apr. 7, 2018 at 10:11 p.m.
      San joses pick might be a first. Wouldnt surprise me, it looks like a great fit. Diverse city, hockey is not a fishbowl, and vets that actually mean something to keep him in line.
      Apr. 7, 2018 at 10:36 p.m.
      Eichel Tower
      It takes a Bruins fan to actually make good trades for the Sabres.

I want to trade O'Reilly for a defense-man and Faulk is the one I normally target. Unlike nearly every one else who posts here, I think Bogosian has not played his best in Buffalo because he has been hampered with injuries every year. I think O'Reilly for Faulk is nearly an even trade. So I wonder if Carolina would trade Teravainen for Bogosian and 2 2nds, But it is a really good trade for Buffalo. You do know that that SJS 2nd becomes a 1st if Kane signs with the sharks, or the sharks win the cup.

When I first saw this trade I said no way, but now IMO Boston would not make that Ristolainen trade, Two very young players for a defense-man who plays tons of minutes, scores a lot but is very weak in his own end. So I have come full circle and I would make that trade for 2 reasons. I get 2 good young players, but I also open up nearly $4,000,000 cap and $17,000,000 of space is more than enough to sign JT, so he can star in the same city as his uncle with the same name.

The following 3 trades are fair for Buffalo.

Nelson, Casey 2 $850,000 He has played well enough to be paid more than $1,000,000
      Bernier, Jonathan 3 $3,000,000 Do you think COL would pay him more than that ($4,000,000)? I would love to have him. Very good choice 0.914 life time save percentage.
      Hickey, Thomas 3 $3,000,000 He has NYI best +/- you would be manager of the year if you could sign him for that
      Holden, Nick 2 $2,000,000 Sure that is about right.

I must congratulate you, You have made the BEST Sabres team I have seen here. Your defense is so much better than the current cast of losers, and you did not include Dahlin.

IMO, I would keep Nylander in the AHL for another year, Dan O'Reagan is NOT an NHL player, Mittelstadt sure looks ready, but I would let him grow one more year in the AHL as well.

So finally, take some of that cap space and sign John Tavares for $13,000,000 for 7 years. trade Moulson and a pick or prospect to any one who will take him and make another $4,000,000 to give those UFA's a little more cash. OMW you did a great job. These are really small comments building on your great foundation. I was wondering if you could add Tavares for $13,000,000, then those top 2 lines are awesome.
      Apr. 7, 2018 at 10:39 p.m.
      Eichel Tower

As I said in a different post, I did not like the trade at 1st, but when I analyzed it, I think Boston is the loser. Great post, you made the Sabres competitive and if you add Tavares, a really good team.
      Apr. 8, 2018 at 3:00 p.m.
      Quoting: GMTD
      As I said in a different post, I did not like the trade at 1st, but when I analyzed it, I think Boston is the loser. Great post, you made the Sabres competitive and if you add Tavares, a really good team.

Okay I’ll add Tavares, but I’m going to make it a trade for his ufa rights.... if I remember right buf has done that before when vesey was an ufa.
      Apr. 8, 2018 at 3:26 p.m.
      Quoting: sabres89
      San joses pick might be a first. Wouldnt surprise me, it looks like a great fit. Diverse city, hockey is not a fishbowl, and vets that actually mean something to keep him in line.

I predict Kane to van because they’ll offer more term on his deal at a high number and it’s his hometown.
      Apr. 8, 2018 at 3:54 p.m.
      Quoting: GMTD
      It takes a Bruins fan to actually make good trades for the Sabres.

I want to trade O'Reilly for a defense-man and Faulk is the one I normally target. Unlike nearly every one else who posts here, I think Bogosian has not played his best in Buffalo because he has been hhampered with injuries every year. I think O'Reilly for Faulk is nearly an even trade. So I wonder if Carolina would trade Teravainen for Bogosian and 2 2nds, But it is a really good trade for Buffalo. You do know that that SJS 2nd becomes a 1st if Kane signs with the sharks, or the sharks win the cup.

When I first saw this trade I said no way, but now IMO Boston would not make that Ristolainen trade, Two very young players for a defense-man who plays tons of minutes, scores a lot but is very weak in his own end. So I have come full circle and I would make that trade for 2 reasons. I get 2 good young players, but I also open up nearly $4,000,000 cap and $17,000,000 of space is more than enough to sign JT, so he can star in the same city as his uncle with the same name.

The following 3 trades are fair for Buffalo.

Nelson, Casey 2 $850,000 He has played well enough to be paid more than $1,000,000
      Bernier, Jonathan 3 $3,000,000 Do you think COL would pay him more than that ($4,000,000)? I would love to have him. Very good choice 0.914 life time save percentage.
      Hickey, Thomas 3 $3,000,000 He has NYI best +/- you would be manager of the year if you could sign him for that
      Holden, Nick 2 $2,000,000 Sure that is about right.

I must congratulate you, You have made the BEST Sabres team I have seen here. Your defense is so much better than the current cast of losers, and you did not include Dahlin.

IMO, I would keep Nylander in the AHL for another year, Dan O'Reagan is NOT an NHL player, Mittelstadt sure looks ready, but I would let him grow one more year in the AHL as well.

So finally, take some of that cap space and sign John Tavares for $13,000,000 for 7 years. trade Moulson and a pick or prospect to any one who will take him and make another $4,000,000 to give those UFA's a little more cash. OMW you did a great job. These are really small comments building on your great foundation. I was wondering if you could add Tavares for $13,000,000, then those top 2 lines are awesome.

First of all thanks for the post.

I considered Bogosian a good change of scenery value in the Carolina deal.

I added Jt @13m for 8 years by trading for his rights. It may not be all that realistic because NYI might hold him until they go down in flames with nothing, but I remembered buf had traded for rights with vesey and they’d also have the upper hand in signing him if they were the team who could offer 8 years. That was my way of justifying the signing.

I gave some players more money based on you recommendation.

I moved McCabe for picks to keep Nelson based on user comments. I think Holden is a key signing, so I can’t let go of him. His ability to play both sides of the ice is exactly what buf needs imo. He’s kind of a safety net because injuries will happen and he can move around based on who the injury call up is.

As for mittelstadt; he’s on the team by the halfway point imo. He’s going to crush the ahl. The premise of this mock was buffalo chasing down the playoffs, so I thought of the roster late in the year when I made this.... probably right before the trade deadline..... I didn’t want to add rentals because I wasn’t sure they’d qualify, but maybe I’ll make another in which they add some depth as rentals for mid picks.
      GMTD liked this.
      Apr. 8, 2018 at 4:02 p.m.

The 2nd rounder from buffalo is 2019 and based on this team it’s well past 40.

I updated some other things and found a way to keep Nelson by dealing McCabe for some I’d picks.

I can’t do anything about the risto trade it’s a core move holding this mock together by getting back a comparable rhd and adding a young scoring forward in the process.

I think I’m going to try again now.
      Apr. 8, 2018 at 4:11 p.m.
      The 2nd rounder from buffalo is 2019 and based on this team it’s well past 40.

I updated some other things and found a way to keep Nelson by dealing McCabe for some I’d picks.

I can’t do anything about the risto trade it’s a core move holding this mock together by getting back a comparable rhd and adding a young scoring forward in the process.

I think I’m going to try again now.

Well it could be in the #40's.... I actually think that we will end up being dead last again next year. I really hope not as I am tired of sitting at all the home games knowing I am throwing good money after bad on the six season tickets.

I just do not see this team ready to make a swift move up the standings in 2018/2019.
      Apr. 8, 2018 at 5:01 p.m.
      Well it could be in the #40's.... I actually think that we will end up being dead last again next year. I really hope not as I am tired of sitting at all the home games knowing I am throwing good money after bad on the six season tickets.

I just do not see this team ready to make a swift move up the standings in 2018/2019.

I did a second attempt mock that doesn’t have risto traded. I think you’ll like it better.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll