SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

The Unthinkable (If ARZ wins the lottery)

Created by: ODOG67
Team: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 26, 2018
Published: Apr. 26, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
There is one player in the world -- OK, maybe two players -- that ARZ gives up that first overall for. This doesn't hurt TOR at all. In fact, it gives them an Auston Matthews equivalent on the blueline. And room to Sign Tavares long term. Ozighanov is a bruising RHD with a cannon. He LOVES to hit. He and Zaddy will get along just fine. Dvorak and Domi raise the compete and snarl level and the issue of high skill passengers is now a thing of the past. Have at me.
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Dahlin, Rasmus
3$925,000
Ozighanov, Igor
2$925,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Domi, Max
  2. Dvorak, Christian
  3. 2018 1st round pick (ARI)
TOR
  1. Tavares, John
  2. 2018 2nd round pick (CGY)
NYI
  1. 2018 2nd round pick (SJS)
Additional Details:
Rights to negotiate with Tavares
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the SJS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
19$75,000,000$73,677,499$5,370,000$2,527,500$1,322,501
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$839,167$839,167 (Performance Bonus$245,000$245K)
C
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 2
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 2
$750,833$750,833 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 5
Dahlin, Rasmus
$925,000$925,000
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,150,000$2,150,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 2
Ozighanov, Igor
$925,000$925,000

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 26, 2018 at 10:49 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
You should really do this wit 2018/19 lineup, if just for cap purposes. Avs never do that trade.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 10:58 a.m.
alwaysnextyear
Still freaking out I see. I really don't think trading Matthews should be high on your priority list. What if Dahlin turns out to be just a good, fast top 4D instead of a franchise guy? Then you'll have been absolutely fleeced in this deal. There are much easier ways to reshape the blueline than trading your franchise center, even if you are signing Tavares after.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 12:05 p.m.
My Balls Itch
Old management would MAYBE be this dumb
Apr. 26, 2018 at 12:14 p.m.
Leaf Fan for life
Quoting: alwaysnextyear
Still freaking out I see. I really don't think trading Matthews should be high on your priority list. What if Dahlin turns out to be just a good, fast top 4D instead of a franchise guy? Then you'll have been absolutely fleeced in this deal. There are much easier ways to reshape the blueline than trading your franchise center, even if you are signing Tavares after.

You realize virtually every scout and analyst says Dahlin is pretty much McDavid on the blue line, right?
Apr. 26, 2018 at 12:17 p.m.
Leaf Fan for life
Quoting: DeadGuy63
Old management would MAYBE be this dumb

Right. Because reuniting Marner with Dvorak, adding Domi's skill and jam and family history with the Leafs PLUS landing your veteran 27 yr old franchise centre PLUS adding McDavid's equivalent on the blue line is "dumb".
Apr. 26, 2018 at 12:19 p.m.
Quoting: ODOG67
You realize virtually every scout and analyst says Dahlin is pretty much McDavid on the blue line, right?

Any links to that? All I see is them saying he's an elite top pairing dman similar in ways to Karlsson and Lidstrom. never heard them compare to McDavid.

Make no mistake about it, he's good but I don't think he will be McDavid good.
DeadGuy63 liked this.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 12:22 p.m.
Leaf Fan for life
Quoting: palhal
You should really do this wit 2018/19 lineup, if just for cap purposes. Avs never do that trade.

I dont think the 2018/19 lineup allows trades for this years draft picks. Why doesn't COL do the deal? A 50 point LHD vs a less skilled but more physical guy isn't exactly lopsided, and frankly Leaf fans have balked at it in the past.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 12:28 p.m.
alwaysnextyear

Yes I do. But scouts don't have crystal balls unfortunately. Let me put it this way; would you trade Matthews for Ekblad? Probably not, but going into his draft all the scouts thought Ekblad was the next big thing too. And he's great, but he's not the McDavid of his position. All I'm saying is you know what you have with Matthews, which is pretty freaking awesome.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 12:32 p.m.
My Balls Itch
Right. Because reuniting Marner with Dvorak, adding Domi's skill and jam and family history with the Leafs PLUS landing your veteran 27 yr old franchise centre PLUS adding McDavid's equivalent on the blue line is "dumb".

Your trading away your 2 best players who are 2 of the best in the league for domi and dvorak who is are good but neither are as good as nylander. You can upgrade the D through free agency plus in a year or 2 liljegren will be ready. The COL trade i cant say anything about but I do not understand the NYI trade. You swap second round picks and get JT but give negotiation rights. News flash your not getting him for a second you have a better chance in free agency.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 12:50 p.m.
Leaf Fan for life
Quoting: F50marco
Any links to that? All I see is them saying he's an elite top pairing dman similar in ways to Karlsson and Lidstrom. never heard them compare to McDavid.

Make no mistake about it, he's good but I don't think he will be McDavid good.

Dobber Hockey says hes a 'sure-fire franchise player, if not a generational player". Other articles say his puck handling abilities are "McDavidesque". Others claim he's far better than Lidstrom at that age, and already a more complete 2 way player than Karlsson. Anders Forsberg, a former Ottawa Senators scout who drafted Karlsson and coached Hedman and Ekman-Larsson as junior-aged players says Darlin is better. Bob Mckenzie says he represents the best of Karlsson, Hedman and Lidstrom COMBINED. 9/10 scouts said he was the unanimous 1st overall pick in September. By December, it was 10/10. He isn't just a good top pairing guy. Hes a FRANCHISE defender with generational skill.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 12:58 p.m.
Leaf Fan for life
Quoting: alwaysnextyear
Yes I do. But scouts don't have crystal balls unfortunately. Let me put it this way; would you trade Matthews for Ekblad? Probably not, but going into his draft all the scouts thought Ekblad was the next big thing too. And he's great, but he's not the McDavid of his position. All I'm saying is you know what you have with Matthews, which is pretty freaking awesome.

Ekblad was never thought to be anywhere close to what Darlin is. And when Bob McKenzie among others say hes the best parts of Lidstrom, Karlsson and Hedman in one package -- as good in his own end as he is in the O zone -- and better than all of them at the same age, youre talking about a guy with annual Norris trophies and all-star appearances right out of the gate. NHL'ers who have played with him already claim hes going to be a hall of fame and he hasn't even been drafted. In short: he's.that.good.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 1:02 p.m.
Leaf Fan for life
Quoting: DeadGuy63
Your trading away your 2 best players who are 2 of the best in the league for domi and dvorak who is are good but neither are as good as nylander. You can upgrade the D through free agency plus in a year or 2 liljegren will be ready. The COL trade i cant say anything about but I do not understand the NYI trade. You swap second round picks and get JT but give negotiation rights. News flash your not getting him for a second you have a better chance in free agency.

A 2nd for JT's negotiation rights is overpayment. so its a pick swap. Teams trade pi wks for pending UFA's rights every year. Neither Domi nor Dvorak have to be as good as Nylander. It's about the impact of the entire package. And the Leafs come out stronger at the end of this deal, that's all that matters.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 1:02 p.m.
Dobber Hockey says hes a 'sure-fire franchise player, if not a generational player". Other articles say his puck handling abilities are "McDavidesque". Others claim he's far better than Lidstrom at that age, and already a more complete 2 way player than Karlsson. Anders Forsberg, a former Ottawa Senators scout who drafted Karlsson and coached Hedman and Ekman-Larsson as junior-aged players says Darlin is better. Bob Mckenzie says he represents the best of Karlsson, Hedman and Lidstrom COMBINED. 9/10 scouts said he was the unanimous 1st overall pick in September. By December, it was 10/10. He isn't just a good top pairing guy. Hes a FRANCHISE defender with generational skill.

Lol yeah I know he's good but will he be a McDavid version on defense? I'm not sold of that yet. Had a chance to do that at the WJHC and didn't look the part. He's been good in the SHL but has he obliterated his competition over there? No. Now he supposed to be the best defenseman of all time since Bobby Orr? That's a little exaggerated. Let's see what he can do in the NHL first before considering he's the equivalent to this generation best overall player (McDavid) or one of this generations best rookie scorers (Matthews).

TLDR; we're arguing semantics at the end of the say. That's all. Those guys you are comparing him to have proven it already. Dahlin hasn't. I think its a little premature at this point to make those big claims.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 1:07 p.m.
alwaysnextyear
Lol yeah I know he's good but will he be a McDavid version on defense? I'm not sold of that yet. Had a chance to do that at the WJHC and didn't look the part. He's been good in the SHL but has he obliterated his competition over there? No. Now he supposed to be the best defenseman of all time since Bobby Orr? That's a little exaggerated. Let's see what he can do in the NHL first before considering he's the equivalent to this generation best overall player (McDavid) or one of this generations best rookie scorers (Matthews).

Right you are Marco. Dahlin may very well be the next Bobby Orr, but he hasn't proven anything at the big-boy level yet. That's why I'm also not getting my hopes too high yet on Elias Pettersson either. He smashed records in the SHL this year, but you never know how his game will translate to the NHL, or how long it will take to acclimate to it.

TLDR; we're arguing semantics at the end of the say. That's all. Those guys you are comparing him to have proven it already. Dahlin hasn't. I think its a little premature at this point to make those big claims.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 1:26 p.m.
Leaf Fan for life

Didn't "look the part"? He was the tourney's top defender.

Achievements this year:
-most points by aU18 jr. in SHL (20) NOTE: most since 2004.
-SHL player of the year (jr)
-U20 WJC All-Star Team
-U20 WJC Best Defenseman
-U20 WJC Silver Medal
-U20 WJC Top 3 Player on Team
-youngest swede to represent his country since 1960.

This as a 17 year old.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 3:10 p.m.
My Balls Itch
A 2nd for JT's negotiation rights is overpayment. so its a pick swap. Teams trade pi wks for pending UFA's rights every year. Neither Domi nor Dvorak have to be as good as Nylander. It's about the impact of the entire package. And the Leafs come out stronger at the end of this deal, that's all that matters.

The way you have it TOR and NYI trade second round picks and Toronto gets JT but NYI get negotiation rights. Explain to me how that makes any sense.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 4:13 p.m.

-most points by aU18 jr. in SHL (20) NOTE: most since 2004. - Impressive but doesn't make you a NHL superstar.
-SHL player of the year (jr) - Im not sure he deserves it really? I think the swedes want to pump this guy up more then is needed. Pettersson should of won based on what he did.
-U20 WJC All-Star Team - Doesn't make you a superstar.
-U20 WJC Best Defenseman - Once again not sure he should have been but regardless. Doesn't make you an NHL superstar
-U20 WJC Silver Medal - Has no bearing on anything.
-U20 WJC Top 3 Player on Team - Has no bearing on anything.
-youngest swede to represent his country since 1960. - Has no bearing on anything.

These are all mostly arbitrary stats. I think you think Im saying he sucks or something. Im not. Im simply not putting him among the greats just yet. Hasn't played a single NHL game yet and the comparisons you suggesting are extremely lofty.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 4:29 p.m.
Leaf Fan for life
-most points by aU18 jr. in SHL (20) NOTE: most since 2004. - Impressive but doesn't make you a NHL superstar.
-SHL player of the year (jr) - Im not sure he deserves it really? I think the swedes want to pump this guy up more then is needed. Pettersson should of won based on what he did.
-U20 WJC All-Star Team - Doesn't make you a superstar.
-U20 WJC Best Defenseman - Once again not sure he should have been but regardless. Doesn't make you an NHL superstar
-U20 WJC Silver Medal - Has no bearing on anything.
-U20 WJC Top 3 Player on Team - Has no bearing on anything.
-youngest swede to represent his country since 1960. - Has no bearing on anything.

These are all mostly arbitrary stats. I think you think Im saying he sucks or something. Im not. Im simply not putting him among the greats just yet. Hasn't played a single NHL game yet and the comparisons you suggesting are extremely lofty.

I posted his achievements this year; most of which relate to his WJC performance, because you claimed he didnt look like a star player in the WJC's. He's a superstar in the making because as indicated, every knowledgeable hockey mind has called him either franchise or generational. We can go back and forth and get nowhere if that floats your boat, but JT and Dahlin adds TONS more to the Leafs' depth than Matthews. It's not a tough concept.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 4:46 p.m.
I posted his achievements this year; most of which relate to his WJC performance, because you claimed he didnt look like a star player in the WJC's. He's a superstar in the making because as indicated, every knowledgeable hockey mind has called him either franchise or generational. We can go back and forth and get nowhere if that floats your boat, but JT and Dahlin adds TONS more to the Leafs' depth than Matthews. It's not a tough concept.

Whoa whoa whao. I said he didn't look the part. meaning he didn't look the part of a superstar dman. Half of those stats you mentioned are trivial.

Secondly my comment was against Dahlin being worth more/equal to Matthews or McDavid currently. Simply stating that Dahlin although looks like a really good player has not proved anything in the NHL yet. You are assuming he will be a generational talent anbd he may very well be but he hasn't done it yet.

Lastly Never mentioned anything against JT+ Dahlin is better than Matthews. Yeah, generally speaking, two very good players will be better than 1 very good player. That's simple math. I'm talking one for one. based on the comparison you mentioned.

TLDR; Every single year everyone says the 1st overall pick is the next greatest thing since Swiss cheese. Im simply saying wait for them to prove it first. Or else you may be wishing you didn't trade away the known commodity you had previously.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 4:57 p.m.
Leaf Fan for life
Whoa whoa whao. I said he didn't look the part. meaning he didn't look the part of a superstar dman. Half of those stats you mentioned are trivial.

Secondly my comment was against Dahlin being worth more/equal to Matthews or McDavid currently. Simply stating that Dahlin although looks like a really good player has not proved anything in the NHL yet. You are assuming he will be a generational talent anbd he may very well be but he hasn't done it yet.

Lastly Never mentioned anything against JT+ Dahlin is better than Matthews. Yeah, generally speaking, two very good players will be better than 1 very good player. That's simple math. I'm talking one for one. based on the comparison you mentioned.

TLDR; Every single year everyone says the 1st overall pick is the next greatest thing since Swiss cheese. Im simply saying wait for them to prove it first. Or else you may be wishing you didn't trade away the known commodity you had previously.

Im assuming nothing. I am basing my opinion on not just my observation, but more importantly, what every expert says about him. If you struggle with that, it's certainly not on me to convince you. And whoever is telling you every single year that the 1st overall is whatever hyperbolic cliche you prefer, nobody has ever claimed that a defender going first overall embodies the very best of Lidstrom, Hedman and Karlsson COMBINED.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
Im assuming nothing. I am basing my opinion on not just my observation, but more importantly, what every expert says about him. If you struggle with that, it's certainly not on me to convince you. And whoever is telling you every single year that the 1st overall is whatever hyperbolic cliche you prefer, nobody has ever claimed that a defender going first overall embodies the very best of Lidstrom, Hedman and Karlsson COMBINED.

Show me the link where anyone says he is Lidstrom, Hedman and Karlsson combined. Because that is silly.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 5:01 p.m.
So the Leafs spend years searching for a franchise C, finally get him, and then trade him 2 years later? Wow. this hurts to read.
No matter how good a #1 d-man is, they don't win you the cup. What is the last team to win the cup with out a franchise C?
Apr. 26, 2018 at 7:20 p.m.
Leaf Fan for life
Quoting: CameronLeafs
So the Leafs spend years searching for a franchise C, finally get him, and then trade him 2 years later? Wow. this hurts to read.
No matter how good a #1 d-man is, they don't win you the cup. What is the last team to win the cup with out a franchise C?

Ummm....Tavares?????
Apr. 26, 2018 at 7:21 p.m.
Leaf Fan for life
Show me the link where anyone says he is Lidstrom, Hedman and Karlsson combined. Because that is silly.

Your internet works as good as mine. Look it up. Im not here to convince you of anything.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 9:47 p.m.
Your internet works as good as mine. Look it up. Im not here to convince you of anything.

Yeah I did. Couldn't find a damn thing. I did however find a bunch articles that show that Dahlin has better stats than both Karlsson and Hedman had at the same age or even younger. As well as some people who say his overall game reminds them of Lidstrom also.

All very nice things. All types of things I've heard before.

Anyways not getting at it with you bud, just saying I don't buy too much of the hype. He'll be good. That's pretty certain. How good? That will depend on what he does in the NHL. As good as Karlsson, Hedman and Lidstrom combined? I don't think that is even humanly possible.....

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll