Realistic Leafs 2019-20 (venting)

Created by: Britishbulldog
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 17, 2018
Published: May 10, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
[vent]
I now realize this is what most of you guys believe is the value of these 3 young Leaf players as you ridicule Armchair GMs who pay them similar to other young players in the NHL who are stars but haven't won anything yet.

These same folks even mock Leaf fans who do see the 3 young Leaf players as stars... but don't believe them to be the 3 best players in the NHL by paying them like it.

NHL.com recently released the ranking of the top 250 players for fantasy leagues and although it is obviously not the Gospel it does arguably give a league wide perspective to what value each player has compared to another on the list:
https://www.nhl.com/news/fantasy-hockey-top-250-rankings-2017-18/c-281505474

Did you find Matthews? How 'bout Marner? Nylander?

I don't mean to waste your time with my venting..... and to give you perspective on what I think of Matthews and his talent, I danced around the living room when we won the lottery for Matthews to the amusement of my kids and wife. Just because of a couple of incompetent GMs made Cap crippling signings I can't believe how many here make Matthews the 2nd highest paid player in the NHL coming off his ELC. Do you all really rate Matthews that high? Really?

Sheifele scored on a PPG pace this year and has 8 goals in 11 playoff games. Signed long term at $6.125

Kucherov scored 100 pts in 80 games and 10 pts in 6 playoff games this year and is signed on a bridge deal for $4.767

[/vent]
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$16,400,000
8$12,500,000
7$12,500,000
2$750,000
2$750,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$82,000,000$76,295,277$0$867,500$5,704,723
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$16,400,000$16,400,000
C
UFA - 5
$12,500,000$12,500,000
RW
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$12,500,000$12,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$759,167$759,167 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
C
UFA - 1
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 10, 2018 at 10:36 a.m.
I don't think the most bias hard core Leaf fans thinks Matthews, Marner and Nylander are worth what you saying...... Im not sure I follow what you are getting at here?
Daryl and Lenny7 liked this.
May 10, 2018 at 10:45 a.m.
Lenny7
Kuch bet on himself and didn't take a long term deal. Kids going to get PAID after next season.

Schiefele didn't have his first great season until after he signed long term.

Matthews scored 40 in his first season and was considered a generational talent when he was drafted and nothing has happened since to prove that wrong. He's going to get paid.
May 10, 2018 at 11:58 a.m.
Quoting: F50marco
I don't think the most bias hard core Leaf fans thinks Matthews, Marner and Nylander are worth what you saying...... Im not sure I follow what you are getting at here?

losing his mind because people think William Nylander will get approx. 6 mil per season...
here is where it started

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/133186&post_id=444015
May 10, 2018 at 12:38 p.m.
Quoting: Lenny7
Kuch bet on himself and didn't take a long term deal. Kids going to get PAID after next season.

Schiefele didn't have his first great season until after he signed long term.

Matthews scored 40 in his first season and was considered a generational talent when he was drafted and nothing has happened since to prove that wrong. He's going to get paid.

Mathews is not getting $4 mil more per year than McDavid. I would love it if he did because it would limit the leafs cap, but its not going to happen. The most he will get is a match of McDavids contract.
May 10, 2018 at 12:41 p.m.
Lenny7
Quoting: Greysuits
Mathews is not getting $4 mil more per year than McDavid. I would love it if he did because it would limit the leafs cap, but its not going to happen. The most he will get is a match of McDavids contract.

My apologies. I meant that he's going to get paid a ton (Similar to McDavid's contract). I don't think anyone is getting $16 mil...yet...
May 10, 2018 at 12:50 p.m.
Quoting: SirCharles
losing his mind because people think William Nylander will get approx. 6 mil per season...
here is where it started

Oh ok got it.

Well @Britishbulldog , I think looking at the right comparables, is the way to go.

Nylander:

Ehlers, Pastrnak, Forsberg, Huberdeau, Drouin, etc.
This is more or less his range whether you agree with it or not.

Marner:

Identical to Nylander's pretty much. Maybe slightly higher fi he ahs another big year next year.

Matthews:

Draisaitl, Eichel, McDavid all comparables.
Obviously that is a big variance. He won't get McDavid money but he'll get more than Draisaitl money. Eichel pretty much set the contract up for Matthews.

Contracts have nothing to do with what you feel somebody is worth. A lot more politics goes into it than you think. For some players you simply negotiate the term but the cap hit is there whether its valid or not. Eichel is not worth 10M a year but telling your star player what's he's actually worth is a slippery slope.

Matthews @ ~10
Nylander @ ~6.5
Marner @ ~6.5

Are all very plausible.
SirCharles and Britishbulldog liked this.
May 10, 2018 at 2:09 p.m.
Oh ok got it.

Well @Britishbulldog , I think looking at the right comparables, is the way to go.

Nylander:

Ehlers, Pastrnak, Forsberg, Huberdeau, Drouin, etc.
This is more or less his range whether you agree with it or not.

Marner:

Identical to Nylander's pretty much. Maybe slightly higher fi he ahs another big year next year.

Matthews:

Draisaitl, Eichel, McDavid all comparables.
Obviously that is a big variance. He won't get McDavid money but he'll get more than Draisaitl money. Eichel pretty much set the contract up for Matthews.

Contracts have nothing to do with what you feel somebody is worth. A lot more politics goes into it than you think. For some players you simply negotiate the term but the cap hit is there whether its valid or not. Eichel is not worth 10M a year but telling your star player what's he's actually worth is a slippery slope.

Matthews @ ~10
Nylander @ ~6.5
Marner @ ~6.5

Are all very plausible.

I think those are plausible...within 500k on each, maybe....

TSN 1050 radio is my go-to station...and pretty much every hockey pundit on there says Auston is easily north of $11m, Marner is likely to at least start his negotiations at $10m and Nylander might be 7ish.

Time will obviously tell....but I think a lot will depends on their personalities and the aggressiveness of their agents. If it's all about the dollar bills the Leafs may be forced to move one of the three....I'm holding out hope that these guys are committed to building a winner in Toronto and willing to take a bit of a lower number so that the team can make a major acquisition.

I dunno...it's even scarier when predictions are that a Marner might want to gamble on himself and wait until after next year to negotiate. If he performs over a full year the way he played the 2nd half of this season, he's potentially a 100pt guy that could demand a $10m+ deal
May 10, 2018 at 2:25 p.m.
Quoting: Juice
I think those are plausible...within 500k on each, maybe....

TSN 1050 radio is my go-to station...and pretty much every hockey pundit on there says Auston is easily north of $11m, Marner is likely to at least start his negotiations at $10m and Nylander might be 7ish.

Time will obviously tell....but I think a lot will depends on their personalities and the aggressiveness of their agents. If it's all about the dollar bills the Leafs may be forced to move one of the three....I'm holding out hope that these guys are committed to building a winner in Toronto and willing to take a bit of a lower number so that the team can make a major acquisition.

I dunno...it's even scarier when predictions are that a Marner might want to gamble on himself and wait until after next year to negotiate. If he performs over a full year the way he played the 2nd half of this season, he's potentially a 100pt guy that could demand a $10m+ deal

Yes give or take obviously. 500K isn't a big variance.

Matthews at 11M is pushing it but if its for 8 years...its not terrible, i mean i know its a lot but what were ppl expecting? He'd take a pay cut to play for the Leafs? Of course not.

Marner for 10M is complete garbage and just goes to show how little they know. He can start at 10M all he wants there is literally nothing he can negotiate to prove he's worth it. NOTHING. Just by defacto he's a winger and not a center ends the convo right there. NO winger has ever earned that high % of his teams cap unless they scored 50 goals as a rookie or are considered the next in line to be that guy that scored 50.......

Finally and most importantly, all 3 guys do not have arbitration rights. If an independent arbitrator could decide for them they'd have a better chance but as his they'll get paid handsomely but not break records.

Matthews doesn't need to be a 100 pt guys to earn 10M. He's a generational former 1st overall big center who had a monster rookie season. That's enough right there to have the leafs bend over and take it.

Marner and Nylander are support guys. Wingers generally are support guys unless they are Ovechkin like.. Marner and Nylander have great regular season stats but that only gets you so far. I can see 6-7M for both as that would be in line with all their comparables and would realistic enough that GM's would have be okay with but 10M for Marner is silly. Frankly it would just be a tactic to start high and negotiate lower but there is no way realistically he gets anything close to 10M. 8M would be the all out crazy out of left field offer he could pray to get but realistically no.
May 10, 2018 at 2:31 p.m.
Yes give or take obviously. 500K isn't a big variance.

Matthews at 11M is pushing it but if its for 8 years...its not terrible, i mean i know its a lot but what were ppl expecting? He'd take a pay cut to play for the Leafs? Of course not.

Marner for 10M is complete garbage and just goes to show how little they know. He can start at 10M all he wants there is literally nothing he can negotiate to prove he's worth it. NOTHING. Just by defacto he's a winger and not a center ends the convo right there. NO winger has ever earned that high % of his teams cap unless they scored 50 goals as a rookie or are considered the next in line to be that guy that scored 50.......

Finally and most importantly, all 3 guys do not have arbitration rights. If an independent arbitrator could decide for them they'd have a better chance but as his they'll get paid handsomely but not break records.

Matthews doesn't need to be a 100 pt guys to earn 10M. He's a generational former 1st overall big center who had a monster rookie season. That's enough right there to have the leafs bend over and take it.

Marner and Nylander are support guys. Wingers generally are support guys unless they are Ovechkin like.. Marner and Nylander have great regular season stats but that only gets you so far. I can see 6-7M for both as that would be in line with all their comparables and would realistic enough that GM's would have be okay with but 10M for Marner is silly. Frankly it would just be a tactic to start high and negotiate lower but there is no way realistically he gets anything close to 10M. 8M would be the all out crazy out of left field offer he could pray to get but realistically no.

I agree on almost all point...and normally would agree on the Marner point as well about him being a winger vs centre...but if you watch him play...he runs the offence like a hybrid centre/bluelien quarterback. Yes..all these guys can ask for the moon, doesn't mean they get it....just speculating that if Marner holds out on re-upping until next off-season and then puts up a 90+ pt season an 8-yr, $10m deal wouldn't be out of line
May 10, 2018 at 3:14 p.m.
Quoting: Juice
I agree on almost all point...and normally would agree on the Marner point as well about him being a winger vs centre...but if you watch him play...he runs the offence like a hybrid centre/bluelien quarterback. Yes..all these guys can ask for the moon, doesn't mean they get it....just speculating that if Marner holds out on re-upping until next off-season and then puts up a 90+ pt season an 8-yr, $10m deal wouldn't be out of line

I think it still would be too much. It doesn't matter what he does. He is not setting a precedent. In order to convince someone you are worth something no other player has got before, you have to prove what you do that they don't.

What does he do that Ehlers, Kucherov, Gaudreau, Pastrnak don't do? because the little differences he has that those guys don't, those guys have attributes Marner doesn't.

Anything above 7M for a winger means he not only has good stats and is a talented player, it means he also is tough, can drop the gloves, is a leader, plays all situations, plays against the other teams best lines exclusively and can shut them down, can take faceoffs etc etc etc Thats the only way you make a case for yourself being worth more than those guys.

We haven't even got to the point of why Marner would want to go that high? Is he really going to sit out? Leafs have plenty of options in terms of talent that can replace Marner on the short term. Its not like he is the only guy on offense capable of generating offense....

He really doesn't have much leverage to go above and beyond his comparables too much and he'll start to send negative messages to the GM. If he truly wants more, is best option is to take less now but get a bridge contract. That way he can prove for the next couple years why is worth it and then force the Leafs to have to give in to his demands because he's proven something that warrants precedence.
Britishbulldog liked this.
May 10, 2018 at 3:29 p.m.
I think it still would be too much. It doesn't matter what he does. He is not setting a precedent. In order to convince someone you are worth something no other player has got before, you have to prove what you do that they don't.

What does he do that Ehlers, Kucherov, Gaudreau, Pastrnak don't do? because the little differences he has that those guys don't, those guys have attributes Marner doesn't.

Anything above 7M for a winger means he not only has good stats and is a talented player, it means he also is tough, can drop the gloves, is a leader, plays all situations, plays against the other teams best lines exclusively and can shut them down, can take faceoffs etc etc etc Thats the only way you make a case for yourself being worth more than those guys.

We haven't even got to the point of why Marner would want to go that high? Is he really going to sit out? Leafs have plenty of options in terms of talent that can replace Marner on the short term. Its not like he is the only guy on offense capable of generating offense....

He really doesn't have much leverage to go above and beyond his comparables too much and he'll start to send negative messages to the GM. If he truly wants more, is best option is to take less now but get a bridge contract. That way he can prove for the next couple years why is worth it and then force the Leafs to have to give in to his demands because he's proven something that warrants precedence.

No, of course not....I was talking hypothetically if he chooses to not negotiate until next summer...and then goes out and puts up a 100pt 2018-19 season. Then he'd have some leverage.
May 11, 2018 at 12:27 a.m.
C,mon Leafs...Please

See, you just expressed my perspective that I was trying to get across with hyperbole. I obviously failed miserably.

As fans we are discussing 2 wingers that both have struggled to break 20 goals for 2 seasons now but play a cute, offensive style. Many are crowning them corner stones of the franchise. I see potential but there hasn't been the proof in the pudding yet that they are super stars that will help make the Leafs annual Stanley Cup contenders. In fact for me it has been opposite.

I thought I was being realistic with my evaluation of them compared to other players in the league. I am surprised at how many defend them as awesome players. Especially after the playoffs this year. Maybe I am a bit down on them. I didn't think so.
May 11, 2018 at 12:37 a.m.
C,mon Leafs...Please
Quoting: SirCharles
here is where it started

I appreciate you guys trying to talk me off the ledge as a Leafs fan. Seeing how poorly the Leafs played against Boston was disappointing and now seeing people declaring how these kids who haven't even won a single playoff series should be paid like Stanley Cup champions based simply on unrealized potential was mind boggling to me.

We'll see what happens and I will keep my opinions tempered until after they have signed contracts. Matthews is great but I feel nylander and Marner are a tier below players they are being compared to.
May 14, 2018 at 11:53 a.m.
Quoting: Britishbulldog
See, you just expressed my perspective that I was trying to get across with hyperbole. I obviously failed miserably.

As fans we are discussing 2 wingers that both have struggled to break 20 goals for 2 seasons now but play a cute, offensive style. Many are crowning them corner stones of the franchise. I see potential but there hasn't been the proof in the pudding yet that they are super stars that will help make the Leafs annual Stanley Cup contenders. In fact for me it has been opposite.

I thought I was being realistic with my evaluation of them compared to other players in the league. I am surprised at how many defend them as awesome players. Especially after the playoffs this year. Maybe I am a bit down on them. I didn't think so.

Yeah your failing to see both sides of that point though. Im not saying they are inferior to those players. Rather that they have proven to be, at best, just as good as those guys.

Regardless, I think you being a Leafs fans (Im assuming) is also playing a factor in this. You mention that they barely yet able to crack 20 goals as an point against them? As mainly playmakers/danglers I don't think that is a valid argument. Back to back 60+ point seasons to start both careers is something only a handful of players have done. They can use that as leverage and that is quite a feat to accomplish for both of them.

Leafs lost to a good veteran savvy team. Which they lasted 7 games against. Were the Leafs triplets dominating? No but then again there are some veterans on other teams who didn't live up to expectations either. Giroux and Voracek figuratively **** the bed against the Pens and they were one of the highest scoring tandems in the league this year.

Both Marner and Nylander have proven enough to be classified with some of the other big names in the league. They are also both very young which adds to their accomplishments.

Matthews will always be classified differently. Was he dominant? Nope. Did he have a great season? Not bad, injury screwed him up a little. But what he has is the reputation and ability you have to pay extra for, even if technically he hasn't proven all of it yet. See Eichel extension. Should of been 6-8M got 10M because at time he could be a 100pt player and teams have to bank on that. Same applies to Matthews.

So having a bad playoffs means they won't get the numbers your mentioning above. Doing everything they did do will get them to be among their peers adequately. 10-Matthews, 6-7 Marner, 6-7 Nylander.
Britishbulldog liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll