Forums/Armchair-GM

What Can Nylander Get us?

Created by: Laynious
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 4, 2018
Published: Jun. 4, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Hypothetical trades for Nylander. If we were to use the Larsson for Hall model of trade (not value but 1 for 1) , what could we get?

I did a few to get the convo rollin. Feel free to add your ideas
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$6,250,000
Trades
ARI
  1. 2018 2nd round pick (SJS)
Additional Details:
William Nylander
BOS
    William Nylander
    BUF
      William Nylander
      Retained Salary Transactions
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the SJS
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the STL
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the SJS
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      20$75,000,000$66,524,167$2,550,000$4,200,000$8,475,833
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      $6,250,000$6,250,000
      LW, C
      NMC
      UFA - 2
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      $5,300,000$5,300,000
      RW
      M-NTC, NMC
      UFA - 2
      $2,500,000$2,500,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 2
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
      C
      UFA - 1
      $2,100,000$2,100,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      $2,250,000$2,250,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 3
      $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      RW
      UFA - 1
      $925,000$925,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $863,333$863,333
      RW
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LD
      UFA - 4
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      RD
      UFA - 6
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      G
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $4,050,000$4,050,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $850,000$850,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $5,500,000$5,500,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $5,400,000$5,400,000
      RD
      UFA - 4
      $2,050,000$2,050,000
      RD
      UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Jun. 4, 2018 at 8:37 a.m.
      Nylander for OEL seems realistic. Maybe for Hamilton too if CAL really does wanna trade him.
      Jun. 4, 2018 at 8:39 a.m.
      TML On The Rise!
      Quoting: ExpiredmilkYT
      Nylander for OEL seems realistic. Maybe for Hamilton too if CAL really does wanna trade him.

I know OEL is staying in Arizona (for some reason) but I think the Leafs would have to add a pick to make it even. He is established and really F'n good
      Jun. 4, 2018 at 8:40 a.m.
      If we're using Hall for Larsson as a point of reference, you're looking at Nylander for TVR.
      Jun. 4, 2018 at 8:41 a.m.
      TML On The Rise!
      Quoting: Claesson4Norris
      If we're using Hall for Larsson as a point of reference, you're looking at Nylander for TVR.

LOL Yeah, I didn't mean value, I meant either 1 for 1 or something along those lines.

Description is edited.
      Jun. 4, 2018 at 8:45 a.m.
      Meeces
      Anaheim is the only one that is not insanely biased towards the laughs.
      cberg liked this.
      Jun. 4, 2018 at 8:48 a.m.
      Philvr
      Ristolainen is interesting
      Jun. 4, 2018 at 8:51 a.m.
      Quoting: Laynious
      LOL Yeah, I didn't mean value, I meant either 1 for 1 or something along those lines.

Description is edited.

I think the answer is Hamilton. Calgary needs top end RW leafs need top end RD. wouldn't be one for one, the Leafs need to add. probably a 2nd and a prospect but I don't know who. Grundstrom maybe?
      Jun. 4, 2018 at 8:55 a.m.
      TML On The Rise!
      I think the answer is Hamilton. Calgary needs top end RW leafs need top end RD. wouldn't be one for one, the Leafs need to add. probably a 2nd and a prospect but I don't know who. Grundstrom maybe?

I'd love to have Hamilton. Big body and getting better every year. Yeah I'd say either Grundstrom or Bracco.
      Jun. 4, 2018 at 9:00 a.m.
      TML On The Rise!
      Quoting: Meeces
      Anaheim is the only one that is not insanely biased towards the laughs.

I'm sittin here going...."Really? Manson for Nylander straight up is being overly biased for the leafs? What the hell is he thinking?"

Then I looked at the trade and saw the 1st Rd pick under Anaheim and went......"Oh thats why."

Took the pick out. Shouldn't have been there in the first place.
      Jun. 4, 2018 at 9:26 a.m.
      Zero Chance on McAvoy.

Bruins have a ton of depth at wing (which Nylander is after watching him disappear in the playoffs).

Liljegren & Nylander for Doughty fill in the gaps with Picks and prospects - I guess it all depends on contracts/extensions.
      Jun. 4, 2018 at 9:52 a.m.

Had to laugh at all the suggestions. Nylander alone isn't going to get you any of those defensemen. Wingers are the least valuable position in hockey, defensemen the most valuable. Nylander hasn't shown he can play C, and tends to disappear come playoffs.
      Jun. 4, 2018 at 10:08 a.m.
      Maybe Ristolainen, Manson or Parayko. I'd hate to give him up
      Jun. 4, 2018 at 10:30 a.m.
      LongtimeLeafsufferer
      Why would anyone Leaf fan want to trade Nylander for OEL? Isn't term important? OEL has just one year remaining till UFA, and really why do the Leafs need another LHD....Reilly, Gardiner, Dermot, Borgman. The insanity of trading for OEL is only matched by folks say the the Leafs would have to add. No other team would offer so much for OEL.
      Bruins don't need Nylander....(wouldn't trade McAvoy anyway).
      Is Risto than good? It's more of a lateral trade.
      Manson makes sense, but again more of a lateral trade.
      Take a look at the Leafs centres....there is no one behind Matthews and Kadri. Maybe AHLer Aaltonen. Nylander might be very needed at centre this year and in future year. So even trading Nylander for an equally talented Dman, how does improve the Leafs?
      Jun. 4, 2018 at 10:52 a.m.
      Nylander is worth way more then risto and manson not sure why leaf fans undervalue him so much but marner is untouchable
      Jun. 4, 2018 at 11:33 a.m.
      Quoting: cberg
      Had to laugh at all the suggestions. Nylander alone isn't going to get you any of those defensemen. Wingers are the least valuable position in hockey, defensemen the most valuable. Nylander hasn't shown he can play C, and tends to disappear come playoffs.

I gotta agree with this comment the most.

First of all. the Larsson-Hall trade isn't a model. It's never been replicated...and I think it's clear that the Devils waxed Chiarelli in that deal. That being said, in none of these deals are the Leafs acquiring a 'lesser talent'.

The angle I think you're looking for is Seth Jones - Ryan Johansen. But as cberg alluded to...this trade involved a Centre for a D-man....which is a big difference. If Nylander plays C this year and establishes himself there...now we're looking at different trade scenarios.

I honestly think Gardiner isn't far off from OEL. And if there's a difference...it's not by much. Don't get me wrong...Jake had about 50 more turnovers on the year...but did better offensively..and just plays a higher risk game Given the leafs' needs...I'd take OEL...but wouldn't pay the price the Yotes are likely to demand.

Boston says 'no' to McAvoy...but again...if Nylander is a 'C" than maybe there's a discussion to be had

The Ristolainen one is close given the fact you're acquiring a 1RHD for a winger...but Risto is being underappreciated in the comments here. He'd easily be our best RHD

The Manson one is interesting. Leafs would be getting 4yrs older in the deal but, again, acquiring someone who would be our best RHD...plus his cap hit comes in lower than what it'll cost to keep Nylander
      cberg liked this.
      Jun. 5, 2018 at 2:12 p.m.
      Quoting: Juice
      I gotta agree with this comment the most.

First of all. the Larsson-Hall trade isn't a model. It's never been replicated...and I think it's clear that the Devils waxed Chiarelli in that deal. That being said, in none of these deals are the Leafs acquiring a 'lesser talent'.

The angle I think you're looking for is Seth Jones - Ryan Johansen. But as cberg alluded to...this trade involved a Centre for a D-man....which is a big difference. If Nylander plays C this year and establishes himself there...now we're looking at different trade scenarios.

I honestly think Gardiner isn't far off from OEL. And if there's a difference...it's not by much. Don't get me wrong...Jake had about 50 more turnovers on the year...but did better offensively..and just plays a higher risk game Given the leafs' needs...I'd take OEL...but wouldn't pay the price the Yotes are likely to demand.

Boston says 'no' to McAvoy...but again...if Nylander is a 'C" than maybe there's a discussion to be had

The Ristolainen one is close given the fact you're acquiring a 1RHD for a winger...but Risto is being underappreciated in the comments here. He'd easily be our best RHD

The Manson one is interesting. Leafs would be getting 4yrs older in the deal but, again, acquiring someone who would be our best RHD...plus his cap hit comes in lower than what it'll cost to keep Nylander

If you swapped Marner for Nylander you could probably have realistic 1 for 1 conversations, because even though Marner is also a winger, he seems to be just that bit better than Nylander and teams will likely pay for that little bit extra. The big question with the Leafs is how much do you really (honestly) value the second tier wingers like Brown, Leivo, Kapanen and Hyman? If you truly think they are also "great" but stymied because of Nylander and Marner already in place, you could easily get an established D by trading one of Marner or Nylander and inserting the younger guy into your own line-up. I get it that you want to keep both Nylander and Marner, but to get an established top-end D you're likely going to have to give up an equally established top-end winger, at least. If you only want to trade the "lessor" guy you're going to have to accept a "lessor", unestablished D or an actual lessor D. The only alternative is multiple extras. Since the Flames are in need of a right shot RW, and Tkachuk has previous chemistry with Marner I'd bet anything they wold be amenable to a Hamilton-Marner 1 for 1, or possibly a Brodie&Bennett or Mangiapanne-Marner&Kapanen or Brown type deal. Bennett has that "it" factor like Marner, and both have unresolved ceilings.
      Jun. 5, 2018 at 2:52 p.m.
      Quoting: cberg
      If you swapped Marner for Nylander you could probably have realistic 1 for 1 conversations, because even though Marner is also a winger, he seems to be just that bit better than Nylander and teams will likely pay for that little bit extra. The big question with the Leafs is how much do you really (honestly) value the second tier wingers like Brown, Leivo, Kapanen and Hyman? If you truly think they are also "great" but stymied because of Nylander and Marner already in place, you could easily get an established D by trading one of Marner or Nylander and inserting the younger guy into your own line-up. I get it that you want to keep both Nylander and Marner, but to get an established top-end D you're likely going to have to give up an equally established top-end winger, at least. If you only want to trade the "lessor" guy you're going to have to accept a "lessor", unestablished D or an actual lessor D. The only alternative is multiple extras. Since the Flames are in need of a right shot RW, and Tkachuk has previous chemistry with Marner I'd bet anything they wold be amenable to a Hamilton-Marner 1 for 1, or possibly a Brodie&Bennett or Mangiapanne-Marner&Kapanen or Brown type deal. Bennett has that "it" factor like Marner, and both have unresolved ceilings.

Completely fair comments. I think Marner provides something that no other player on this roster can. He's such a unique talent and a lot of media/fans think he has the potential to be a 90-100pt player. Mostly due to his stature, he gets compared to Patrick Kane a lot (albeit a playmaker vs finisher version)....so if you see leaf fans balking at any trade involving him...that's why. For me, he's like Paul Coffee and Adam Oates had a baby right-winger. While we aren't looking to rid ourselves of Nylander, I would imagine many of us would prefer to to Nylander + + than give away Marner and risk him flirting with the top of the scoring leader charts for another squad.
      cberg liked this.
      Jun. 5, 2018 at 4:42 p.m.
      Quoting: Juice
      Completely fair comments. I think Marner provides something that no other player on this roster can. He's such a unique talent and a lot of media/fans think he has the potential to be a 90-100pt player. Mostly due to his stature, he gets compared to Patrick Kane a lot (albeit a playmaker vs finisher version)....so if you see leaf fans balking at any trade involving him...that's why. For me, he's like Paul Coffee and Adam Oates had a baby right-winger. While we aren't looking to rid ourselves of Nylander, I would imagine many of us would prefer to to Nylander + + than give away Marner and risk him flirting with the top of the scoring leader charts for another squad.

So true, that's how we all want things to work, and maybe there's a GM out there that overvalues +++ and makes a deal of a Top D for Nylander+++. Its happened before, many times, but I can't recall it ever working out. Hopefully the Flames hold firm, there are other options.
      Juice liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll