Forums/Armchair-GM

Pesce Trade *Read Description*

Created by: tmljk22
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 2, 2018
Published: Aug. 2, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I honestly don't know if this is enough for Pesce because many people on CapFriendly seem to have different opinions on his cost but I think this is a fair valued trade as both players are on team friendly deals.

From a Toronto side, you lose part of your valued centre depth. Though Nylander has made strides, I don't think he is fully ready. Although I do think that after playing a considerable amount of games at that position he will improve. I honestly do not think that giving up Kadri is the best option but if it is needed to acquire a defensively reliable RHD I think it will work out fine.

Carolina gets a top 6 centre that is capable of scoring 30+ goals as well as a mid level prospect as well as a second and a third. You could also make the second a conditional first of if they win the cup but I don't see the need. I also believe that the Canes could afford to lose Pesce as they have recently acquired Hamilton for the RHD. *Refer to Carolina side of trade to see lines*

If this trade doesn't make sense to you please let me know what to change below
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$7,000,000
Trades
CAR
  1. Engvall, Pierre
  2. Kadri, Nazem
  3. 2019 2nd round pick (TOR)
  4. 2019 3rd round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$68,208,333$2,550,000$4,550,000$11,291,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
UFA - 6
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
C
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$850,000$850,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
RD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 2, 2018 at 10:57 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Considering what buffalo just paid for skinner.... yeah that’s an overpayment in fact any way you look at this it’s an overpayment. Kadri isn’t just a centre with back to back 32 goal seasons, he’s also our shut down guy. Logs a lot of minutes against top lines. Look what Boston’s top line did to us while he was suspended in the playoffs. Kadri is not moving anywhere.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 10:59 p.m.
tmljk22
Quoting: Jamiepo
Considering what buffalo just paid for skinner.... yeah that’s an overpayment in fact any way you look at this it’s an overpayment. Kadri isn’t just a centre with back to back 32 goal seasons, he’s also our shut down guy. Logs a lot of minutes against top lines. Look what Boston’s top line did to us while he was suspended in the playoffs. Kadri is not moving anywhere.

That is my initial thought to but I mean i'm just trying stuff. Just trying to see what everything is worth.
CD282 liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 11:06 p.m.
Shibbal18
Drop the picks (and probably the prospect) and that gets you faulk. I think Pesce wont get moved with that cheap of a contract. This owner seems to care about that above all else, despite what he has said
Aug. 2, 2018 at 11:10 p.m.
tmljk22
Quoting: Shibbal18
Drop the picks (and probably the prospect) and that gets you faulk. I think Pesce wont get moved with that cheap of a contract. This owner seems to care about that above all else, despite what he has said

Kadri is very similar to Pesce as he has a very team friendly contract. So I can't see him being moved for a potential rental in Faulk.
jloose liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 11:12 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan

How can you be the shutdown guy when you're constantly suspended and penalized?
tmljk22 liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 11:23 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: EthanK24

Constantly suspended and penalized players don't score 30 goals a year. C;mon some realism.

Regarded the trade. Obvious Carolina needs a centre (which team doesn't?) and Leafs need a top 2 or 4 RHD (which team doesn't). Carolina would need at least two good NHLers in a trade for Peace, not picks.
tmljk22 liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 11:32 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: EthanK24

Umm.... he isn’t ???? 42 minutes in penalties last year. There were four people higher than him on his own team. And when you play top lines you’re going to take some defensive penalties(not that his are all defensive). Being suspended 3 times in 8 seasons is not exactly all the time either....
tmljk22, palhal and CD282 liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 11:40 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Umm.... he isn’t ???? 42 minutes in penalties last year. There were four people higher than him on his own team. And when you play top lines you’re going to take some defensive penalties(not that his are all defensive). Being suspended 3 times in 8 seasons is not exactly all the time either....

There are lots of Leaf cliches.....Kadri dirty, he's just a shut down centre, Leaf have the worse Dman in the league, any RHD in the league is better than any of the Leafs, Leaf don't have cap to sign their RFAs,
GenXHockey and tmljk22 liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 11:43 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: tmljk22
That is my initial thought to but I mean i'm just trying stuff. Just trying to see what everything is worth.

Quoting: palhal
Constantly suspended and penalized players don't score 30 goals a year. C;mon some realism.

Regarded the trade. Obvious Carolina needs a centre (which team doesn't?) and Leafs need a top 2 or 4 RHD (which team doesn't). Carolina would need at least two good NHLers in a trade for Peace, not picks.

I think Toronto needs to be patient. We are drafting and developing really well. If we get another surprise like dermott on the right side.... ozhiganov,liljgren,holl are we really in that bad of shape? I don’t think so. Drafting and developing is the smartest way to go. If it comes to trade deadline and we are still in need maybe then we shop around. But I still think that it would be a rental or tops 2year contract. These Prospects (left and right side) are going to develop into nhlers and we need to fit them in.
palhal and tmljk22 liked this.
Aug. 2, 2018 at 11:52 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I think Toronto needs to be patient. We are drafting and developing really well. If we get another surprise like dermott on the right side.... ozhiganov,liljgren,holl are we really in that bad of shape? I don’t think so. Drafting and developing is the smartest way to go. If it comes to trade deadline and we are still in need maybe then we shop around. But I still think that it would be a rental or tops 2year contract. These Prospects (left and right side) are going to develop into nhlers and we need to fit them in.

I know they aren't NHLers (and may never be) but the drafting of of DmenLiljegren, Sandin, Rasemun and Durzi in the rounds one and two...shows hope in the future, plus Borgman, Rosen and Dermot, maybe Holl and Ozhiganov...looks OK. In 2018/19 need two guys to jump out to grab the 6th or 7th spots. If not maybe a trade is necessary, but certainly no panic now.
GenXHockey liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 1:12 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
While the deal is pretty unrealistic just because Faulk seems to be the guy who's out of town rather than Pesce, it makes a lot of sense. If Necas is their #1 center long term, Kadri can slide in nicely as the 2C. Pesce obviously fills the need at RHD for the Leafs as well. I doubt Toronto would want to deal Kadri, as he's locked up at a very good rate and gives them excellent center depth. While Nylander can play center, I think they'd be more comfortable leaving him on the wing.

But I gave a good rating due to the creative idea that actually makes sense for each side to at least consider. I just feel that neither team really wants to do the deal, as I'd imagine Pesce is someone they'd want to keep and Toronto doesn't have a lot of centers in the organization after the top three guys in the NHL currently.
tmljk22 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 9:58 a.m.
Banned
This is a terrible trade. I don't get most Leaf fans, we have the best centre depth in hockey. Before July 1 we had a huge question mark at centre because we only really had Matthews and Kadri and then we add Tavares and half of you want to trade Kadri and a quarter of you want to trade Matthews.

How about everyone just settle down and enjoy this ride we are on. Kadri isn't getting traded, neither is Marner, Nylander or Matthews. Guys who could be traded are the following.

Gardiner because he's an expiring contract and won't be resigned (there isn't enough cap space next year to do it)
Brown because he's a decent player on a good contract who is mired in the bottom 6 in TO so he could bring some return while also clearing 2.1 million.
Kapanen because he could have a break out season which could make him to expensive to keep next season.
Johnsson - see Kapanen
Zaitsev because if he doesn't rebound enough, his contract is something the Leafs would be motivated to get rid of

Those guys and any of the prospects not name Liljegren or guys drafted last season.

As far as a trade for Pesce is concerned, all the Carolina fans will say it will begin and end with Nylander coming the other way. That's a pipe dream, the Hall trade has shown exactly what trading an elite offensive producer for a defensive defenseman does to a team. With that being said, its really hard to judge, I was certain Skinner was going to get at least a 1st round pick or a A level prospect, but instead it was a guy taken in the 3rd round, a 2nd and the other later picks. So that makes me believe the market isn't strong right now and people want to hold onto their assets. Carolina is going to have to decide if they want a better return or not on their next trade. Faulk is not more valuable than Skinner, I'd put him as equal to or higher value than Pesce as well so I wouldn't be very confident in getting a big return for 2 reasons.

1) Its hard to argue that a defensive defenceman is worth more than your best offensive weapon so Pesce < Skinner
2) Carolina has a surplus of defenceman so they have all the pressure to move one out, that'll give the opposition some negotiation strength.

So with those two things in mind, Faulk and Pesce will not get an allstar roster player, they won't bring back an A+ prospect and a first. You'll get a B+ prospect, a 2nd and then maybe another asset or two. Its a bad reality but its what Don Wadell has put you guys in for accepting such a weak return for Skinner.
GenXHockey liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 10:10 a.m.
I'll have to dig deeper into Pesce, but my initial reaction is that you wouldn't have to add anything to Kadri to get it done. Also: Kadri-for-Hamilton is something I think would make Toronto a better team.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 10:15 a.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier

2) Carolina has a surplus of defenceman so they have all the pressure to move one out, that'll give the opposition some negotiation strength.

A smart GM would be inquiring about TVR. Probably won't cost much and can likely play 2nd pairing with a decent partner.
GenXHockey liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 1:11 p.m.
tmljk22
Quoting: LoganOllivier
This is a terrible trade. I don't get most Leaf fans, we have the best centre depth in hockey. Before July 1 we had a huge question mark at centre because we only really had Matthews and Kadri and then we add Tavares and half of you want to trade Kadri and a quarter of you want to trade Matthews.

How about everyone just settle down and enjoy this ride we are on. Kadri isn't getting traded, neither is Marner, Nylander or Matthews. Guys who could be traded are the following.

Gardiner because he's an expiring contract and won't be resigned (there isn't enough cap space next year to do it)
Brown because he's a decent player on a good contract who is mired in the bottom 6 in TO so he could bring some return while also clearing 2.1 million.
Kapanen because he could have a break out season which could make him to expensive to keep next season.
Johnsson - see Kapanen
Zaitsev because if he doesn't rebound enough, his contract is something the Leafs would be motivated to get rid of

Those guys and any of the prospects not name Liljegren or guys drafted last season.

As far as a trade for Pesce is concerned, all the Carolina fans will say it will begin and end with Nylander coming the other way. That's a pipe dream, the Hall trade has shown exactly what trading an elite offensive producer for a defensive defenseman does to a team. With that being said, its really hard to judge, I was certain Skinner was going to get at least a 1st round pick or a A level prospect, but instead it was a guy taken in the 3rd round, a 2nd and the other later picks. So that makes me believe the market isn't strong right now and people want to hold onto their assets. Carolina is going to have to decide if they want a better return or not on their next trade. Faulk is not more valuable than Skinner, I'd put him as equal to or higher value than Pesce as well so I wouldn't be very confident in getting a big return for 2 reasons.

1) Its hard to argue that a defensive defenceman is worth more than your best offensive weapon so Pesce < Skinner

So with those two things in mind, Faulk and Pesce will not get an allstar roster player, they won't bring back an A+ prospect and a first. You'll get a B+ prospect, a 2nd and then maybe another asset or two. Its a bad reality but its what Don Wadell has put you guys in for accepting such a weak return for Skinner.

The whole reason I did this post was to get a feel for what it would take to get a RHD. I made a forum about 8 weeks ago where I had many people saying he was worth Nylander +. I brushed that off given the fact I would rather have a playmaking winger that compliments Matthews than a defensive defensman.

Though the main reason I posted this was to get a feel for what it would actually take to get a good team friendly contract playing top pairing RHD minutes. Plus it is the offseason and what else am I to do? As I have said in previous comments, this is just an excersise to find out what players are worth to the CapFriendly community.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 1:23 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: tmljk22
The whole reason I did this post was to get a feel for what it would take to get a RHD. I made a forum about 8 weeks ago where I had many people saying he was worth Nylander +. I brushed that off given the fact I would rather have a playmaking winger that compliments Matthews than a defensive defensman.

Though the main reason I posted this was to get a feel for what it would actually take to get a good team friendly contract playing top pairing RHD minutes. Plus it is the offseason and what else am I to do? As I have said in previous comments, this is just an excersise to find out what players are worth to the CapFriendly community.

Fair enough, but if you are asking Carolina fans what any of their defenceman are worth, they'll always say ridiculous things. Pesce isn't worth a 1st and Nylander, he isn't worth a 1st or Nylander. Especially from Toronto since they have a lot of young RHD that may or may not be worth playing bigger minutes.
tmljk22 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll