Forums/Armchair-GM

Tom Wilson: Much Better Than You Think

Created by: ClockReads2113
Team: 2018-19 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 3, 2018
Published: Aug. 3, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Here's an article diving deep into Wilson's skill level and how we can live up to his new contract. Just skip to the video section of the article if you aren't convinced.

https://novacapsfans.com/2018/08/02/is-tom-wilson-worth-it-a-deep-dive-into-hockeys-most-controversial-player/
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$69,590,962$82,500$1,100,000$9,909,038
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$9,538,462$9,538,462
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
UFA - 7
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
UFA - 6
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
LW
UFA - 1
$6,700,000$6,700,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,415,000$2,415,000
C
UFA - 5
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 7
$650,000$650,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
UFA - 5
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 8
$6,100,000$6,100,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$650,000$650,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LD
NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:25 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: capsin9
oh you didn't have to say anything negative bc I called you out before you could......hahaha its funny bc you def 100% came trolling around once you saw his name haha did you read dudes article? how do you feel after reading it?

So explain how its trolling because I disagree with your opinion?
Bluejackets2000 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:25 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: A_K
https://www.capfriendly.com/comparables/tom-wilson-8801

which of these guys is worse than Tom Wilson?

thats a better question for after this season.....? tom Wilson wasn't utilized in a top line role for the majority of his career...till last half of the season and playoffs....time will tell
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:26 p.m.
Banned
he's mad bc I called him out b4 he could troll bc his last 20 post have been all about Wilson ......hes obsessed and having a hard time coming to terms with it...

you too are a little too obsessed...its also weird

For me its just a lot of fun to watch the hate just fume out when you hit the Wilson signing with the cold hard truth that this is just irrational emotions.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:28 p.m.
Quoting: ClockReads2113
This just shows you didn't read a word of it. It has numbers and literal video showing his skill level. You know, things that aren't subjective. Take a read.

There are sites that use numbers and literal video showing that the Earth is flat. Coming up with a conclusion and then picking and choosing data to support it does not make it true.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:29 p.m.
So many caps fans trying to justify his contract only means one thing...deep down they know that it really sucks and is going to hamstring the Capitals come 2019 capital budget review (pun intended). They might have to have a fire sale on the steps of MCI center, or better yet put signs out on some of the players that read "free to a good home".
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:33 p.m.
Banned
There's literal numbers and visuals showing his top 6 skill. How the hell are they bias? It doesn't matter what those other lines looked like without Wilson, the point is they all had positive impacts with him on it. The argument of "well Wilson away from them is bad" is just stupid, because when he's with them they are good to great. That is literally all that matters. If Wilson scores 50 points next season are you still just going to say "Well all he does is play with good players"? It doesn't matter. The only thing that does matter is he produces like a top 6 player. Komarov has never scored more than 22 5v5 points in a season. If anyone was saying he was top 6 then they are dumb.

Quote:
There is no rational argument that can be made to justify this contract and it will be an Albatross around the neck of the Caps as soon as November.

Yes there is a rational argument: this freakn article. Okay come November when Wilson already has 10+ 5v5 points we'll see what you have to say.

Where are the stats about what Ovie and Kuznetsov did without Wilson? All this article does is poor through the most positive stats this guy can find about Wilson. It barely talks about his past production other than washing it by saying he wasn't ready for the NHL. And besides that, if you want to say this isn't a bias article than this one is 100% fair and not bias at all.

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2018/7/23/17595564/toronto-maple-leafs-auston-matthews-goals-nhl-debut-elite-nhl-stats-toronto-maple-leafs-analysis

I honestly can't wait to hear what you have to say about this article I just posted. Its going to be amazing.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:34 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: LoganOllivier
I read the whole article and I also explained why I called it a bias fan article that leaves out all counter points to the contrary and then listed the arguments I've already received in regards to the Wilson signing.

As for evidence given to me, again I'll reiterate the only evidence I've ever had presented to me is the following.

He scored the 96th amount of 5v5 points if you include the playoffs. Which no one should do because the reffing in the playoffs is non existent. Refs put away their whistles and let guys do basically anything as long as you don't shoot the puck over the glass, or break your stick over a guys body with a slash. That helps Wilson big time because he can really man handle people and get away with it. Half of what he did in the playoffs will get him a penalty in the regular season, which is why he has more PIMs than anyone else.

He produced as a top 6 forward when he played with top 6 player which makes him a top six winger. Leo Komarov out scored him when he was on the top line in TO and he's not worth the 3 million he's getting paid in New York.

Since I compared him lets talk about comparables because he definitely has comparables. Matt Martin, Cal Clutterbuck, Leo Komarov etc, 4th line guys who can skate, kill penalties and hit everything that moves. Only according to Caps fans we can't use those guys because.......the only real understandable reason that I can figure out on this one is this, you can't use those guys as comparables because it hurts our feelings because it might be true and that means our beloved Wilson is just the vest 4th line banger in the league.

The funniest part of this whole arguement is when I have tried to lay out his past production as an example as to why this crazy contract is to bad. Hilariously, caps fans tell me we can't use that because he scored points for 1 half season and a very good playoff run. So that's that, he's worth 5 million because...... we are using a super small sample size and going with it because it feels good and we won the cup. That's really all this is, Wilson was a playoff hero and is being rewarded.

Good luck watching this years Fernando Pisani be exactly what he is for the next 6 years, a 4th liner who had a huge playoff that one time.

at this point agree to disagree. none of those guys could defend a Crosby or a top line superstar..... Wilson is better but there no real point in debating this.....none of the guys you named could produce like he did in the playoffs have done that ever......but great point

I bring up the playoffs bc its 5x harder to produce there then in reg season
Bluejackets2000 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:35 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Bluejackets2000
So many caps fans trying to justify his contract only means one thing...deep down they know that it really sucks and is going to hamstring the Capitals come 2019 capital budget review (pun intended). They might have to have a fire sale on the steps of MCI center, or better yet put signs out on some of the players that read "free to a good home".

Bang on, its an emotional signing that happens every time someone wins the Cup. Chicago did that so many times. Marcus Kruger anyone? How about Fernando Pisani.
hockeyfanatic05 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:38 p.m.
Banned
Bang on, its an emotional signing that happens every time someone wins the Cup. Chicago did that so many times. Marcus Kruger anyone? How about Fernando Pisani.

Cups teams always do that. Pittsburgh did it the past 2 seasons. But at least I'm not biased enough to admit that my team signed Johnson to a awful contract unlike caps fans who think they signed Wilson to a good contract
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:39 p.m.
Banned
at this point agree to disagree. none of those guys could defend a Crosby or a top line superstar..... Wilson is better but there no real point in debating this.....none of the guys you named could produce like he did in the playoffs have done that ever......but great point

I bring up the playoffs bc its 5x harder to produce there then in reg season

None of his comparables have ever played with players like Ovie and Kuznetsov but I'll again say this. Wilson is the best 4th line banger in the league, that is not without value. However, the reason he is top line in Washington is not because he's that good but because there is no one else that showed they can have Chemistry with them.

By the way, Crosby vs Wilson is a joke. Crosby skates circles around him and he has about 1000 times the skill. Also Komarov has played a tonne of minutes, against guys like Crosby and Ovie and every other top player in this league and he's been very successful at shutting them down. He's way better than Wilson when it comes to playing defence. Wilson I think likely has a bit more skill but to be honest if he played with Kuznetsov and Ovie, I'd wager he'd put up comparable or better numbers than Wilson and be a far better PK guy and way better defensively at 5v5.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:39 p.m.
Banned
Yes there is a rational argument: this freakn article. Okay come November when Wilson already has 10+ 5v5 points we'll see what you have to say.

Where are the stats about what Ovie and Kuznetsov did without Wilson? All this article does is poor through the most positive stats this guy can find about Wilson. It barely talks about his past production other than washing it by saying he wasn't ready for the NHL. And besides that, if you want to say this isn't a bias article than this one is 100% fair and not bias at all.

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2018/7/23/17595564/toronto-maple-leafs-auston-matthews-goals-nhl-debut-elite-nhl-stats-toronto-maple-leafs-analysis

I honestly can't wait to hear what you have to say about this article I just posted. Its going to be amazing.[/quote]

Matthews is not a top 5 center............ he's the dry hump of a mcdcvid ...nate mckinon is way better also Sid geno backstrom kuzy kope stammer berg.........
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:42 p.m.
Banned

I honestly can't wait to hear what you have to say about this article I just posted. Its going to be amazing.

Matthews is not a top 5 center............ he's the dry hump of a mcdcvid ...nate mckinon is way better also Sid geno backstrom kuzy kope stammer berg.........[/quote]

You clearly didn't read this article. LOL

Wilson is probably much better than Matthews, because he scored so many 5v5 points.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:42 p.m.
Banned
Edited Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:48 p.m.
Quoting: Bluejackets2000

could be worse though .....they could have dub.....a stud like panerin on his way out and 0 cups or 1st round victories ......also an all star goalie who chokes

Wilson signing isn't great but better to overpay slightly after winning then to overpay after not winning at all....?

that being said caps where in a similar situation last 2 years ........hopefully you guys can flip him for a huge return
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:45 p.m.
Banned
could be worse though .....they could have dub.....a stud like panerin on his way out and 0 cups or 1st round victories ......also an all star goalie who chokes

Wilson signing isn't great but better to overpay slightly after winning then to overpay after not winning at all....?

Can you explain why you think people troll all the time? People are going to disagree with you. Thats not trolling, just called having a different opinion
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:45 p.m.
Banned
Matthews is not a top 5 center............ he's the dry hump of a mcdcvid ...nate mckinon is way better also Sid geno backstrom kuzy kope stammer berg.........

Wilson is probably much better than Matthews, because he scored so many 5v5 points.[/quote]

wilson is not elite and I know that but he's not terrible

you told me Matthews is the best center or top 5 in the nhl......thats just not true.... I'm sorry
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:50 p.m.
Banned
you troll bc you come into a thread and call a guy a 4th line player and people will disagree ......... you went so far that today you said I sucked Wilsons dick thats just not healthy.....and trolling

trolling is when you go into a conversation trying to provoke an argument ..... you do this

Kind of like how your first post was about me? Thats trolling. And yeah when you constantly talk about how good wilson was in the playoffs and you totally disregard his entire career and you cant even handle when someone says something bad about Wilson, then ya I'm going to figuratively say you suck his dick. Im the biggest Crosby fan in the world, but I do not get that insensitive and butthurt when people say something bad about him
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:51 p.m.
Banned

Wilson is probably much better than Matthews, because he scored so many 5v5 points.

wilson is not elite and I know that but he's not terrible

you told me Matthews is the best center or top 5 in the nhl......thats just not true.... I'm sorry[/quote]

I actually didn't say anything about Matthews, I just posted a fan article that lists a bunch of positive stats and makes outrageous claims. You then proceeded to, and this is after you criticized me for apparently not reading the article (I totally read the article), not read the article and instead smash Matthews as a dry hump of McDavid and listed a bunch of guys that are way better.

If you want to know what I think of Matthews I'll tell you. It'll be a rational description where I'll focus on his strengths and weaknesses but I won't be making any claims that he is the best player in the league. I do think he's in same atmosphere as McDavid, not as good but he's definitely also a generational talent and I'd put Matthews a head of any other centres around his age, minus McDavid. But most top hockey analysts say the same thing so I'm not special.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:56 p.m.
Banned
you troll bc you come into a thread and call a guy a 4th line player and people will disagree ......... you went so far that today you said I sucked Wilsons dick thats just not healthy.....and trolling

trolling is when you go into a conversation trying to provoke an argument ..... you do this

Trolling is when you make insanely ridiculous statements with the entire desire to cause people to get pissed off. Calling Wilson a 4th liner isn't a troll job, its taking a snapshot of his career and placing him exactly where he belongs. Wilson is not more valuable than someone like Zack Hyman, a guy many say should be on the 4th line but has found chemistry with Matthews and therefore gets the sweet gig of riding shotgun. It doesn't make him a top 6 winger, it makes him a bottom 6 winger who has chemistry with top line players. When his contract (2.25 million which should really sting for caps fans but doesn't because they are too emotional about Wilson) is up he may ask for money in the 5+ range and if I am the GM in Toronto, I trade him immediately because I can find a bottom 6 guy who can kill penalties that may or may not have chemistry with my top line for way less than 5+.

These are all reasonable arguments about a contract that not many people outside of Washington are calling anything but extremely overpriced.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 1:05 p.m.
I read the whole article and I also explained why I called it a bias fan article that leaves out all counter points to the contrary and then listed the arguments I've already received in regards to the Wilson signing.

As for evidence given to me, again I'll reiterate the only evidence I've ever had presented to me is the following.

He scored the 96th amount of 5v5 points if you include the playoffs. Which no one should do because the reffing in the playoffs is non existent. Refs put away their whistles and let guys do basically anything as long as you don't shoot the puck over the glass, or break your stick over a guys body with a slash. That helps Wilson big time because he can really man handle people and get away with it. Half of what he did in the playoffs will get him a penalty in the regular season, which is why he has more PIMs than anyone else.

So you didn't read it. Because 96th amount of 5v5 points does NOT include the playoffs. That was just from all last regular season, including the time he was in bottom 6. If you include just the last 82 games of the season that does include the playoffs, he ranks 27th in 5v5 points. And LOL to your "refs put the whistles away so his points don't count" haha

Quote:
He produced as a top 6 forward when he played with top 6 player which makes him a top six winger. Leo Komarov out scored him when he was on the top line in TO and he's not worth the 3 million he's getting paid in New York.

Again, Komarov never scored more than 22 5v5 points in a season, ever. That would have ranked him 197th among forwards last season. That's not top 6 production.

Quote:
Since I compared him lets talk about comparables because he definitely has comparables. Matt Martin, Cal Clutterbuck, Leo Komarov etc, 4th line guys who can skate, kill penalties and hit everything that moves. Only according to Caps fans we can't use those guys because.......the only real understandable reason that I can figure out on this one is this, you can't use those guys as comparables because it hurts our feelings because it might be true and that means our beloved Wilson is just the vest 4th line banger in the league.

Top 5v5 points among Komarov (22), Martin (17), and Clutterbuck (25). So closest is Clutterbuck but outside that 25, in 10 seasons, he never got more than 18. Wilson has hit 18, 20, 32 just in the last 3 seasons. So no, they aren't close to comparbles.

Quote:
The funniest part of this whole arguement is when I have tried to lay out his past production as an example as to why this crazy contract is to bad. Hilariously, caps fans tell me we can't use that because he scored points for 1 half season and a very good playoff run. So that's that, he's worth 5 million because...... we are using a super small sample size and going with it because it feels good and we won the cup. That's really all this is, Wilson was a playoff hero and is being rewarded.

99 games is not a small sample size. And as the article points out, it probably was too big of a gamble to go $5M, but it doesn't mean he can't live up to that contract.

Quote:
Good luck watching this years Fernando Pisani be exactly what he is for the next 6 years, a 4th liner who had a huge playoff that one time.

There could be a chance it was a fluke, but on the evidence based in the article, I doubt it. Going to be fun coming back to this convo if Wilson puts up an even better season than last.
capsin9 and bags92 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 1:06 p.m.
Quoting: biglite351
There are sites that use numbers and literal video showing that the Earth is flat. Coming up with a conclusion and then picking and choosing data to support it does not make it true.

This just in: facts are not allowed to make a point. This is truly Trump's America.
capsin9 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 1:14 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: hockeyfanatic05
Kind of like how your first post was about me? Thats trolling. And yeah when you constantly talk about how good wilson was in the playoffs and you totally disregard his entire career and you cant even handle when someone says something bad about Wilson, then ya I'm going to figuratively say you suck his dick. Im the biggest Crosby fan in the world, but I do not get that insensitive and butthurt when people say something bad about him

no i understand 35 points isn't great but thats not why he got that $$$ it was he's performance the last half of the season and playoffs......ive said this deal isn't really judge able till after this season

if he puts up 35 this year top line minutes then this deal is horrible if he scores 20 goals and 50-60 points it looks 100% good
Aug. 3, 2018 at 1:20 p.m.
Banned
So you didn't read it. Because 96th amount of 5v5 points does NOT include the playoffs. That was just from all last regular season, including the time he was in bottom 6. If you include just the last 82 games of the season that does include the playoffs, he ranks 27th in 5v5 points. And LOL to your "refs put the whistles away so his points don't count" haha

Quote:

Again, Komarov never scored more than 22 5v5 points in a season, ever. That would have ranked him 197th among forwards last season. That's not top 6 production.

Quote:

Top 5v5 points among Komarov (22), Martin (17), and Clutterbuck (25). So closest is Clutterbuck but outside that 25, in 10 seasons, he never got more than 18. Wilson has hit 18, 20, 32 just in the last 3 seasons. So no, they aren't close to comparbles.

Quote:

99 games is not a small sample size. And as the article points out, it probably was too big of a gamble to go $5M, but it doesn't mean he can't live up to that contract.

Quote:

There could be a chance it was a fluke, but on the evidence based in the article, I doubt it. Going to be fun coming back to this convo if Wilson puts up an even better season than last.

The only way I'll eat my words, and I'm big enough of a person to admit when I am wrong, is if he scores 20 goals or 50 points next year. He won't because I don't think Ovie will be nearly as dominant as he was last year. He's getting up there and each year his 5v5 play will diminish but he'll score a tonne on the PP for several years yet. So each year Wilson will have to do more than he's done with less help. Its a recipe for disaster and it won't end well. If I am wrong though and Wilson scores 50 points this season, I'll happily admit that I am wrong.

One thing though I think you should move away from is the whole 5v5 point total thing. Its an outlier season, his average will remain around 20 5v5 points a year and he's not good enough to play on the PP and doesn't get points while killing penalties so he isn't an elite penalty killer. He also gives up the most PK opportunities on the team and league if I read that right in your famed article so that is a negative as well.

Here is the point I've always tried to make and this goes far beyond Wilson. The guys who make him appear to be a top 6 winger are Ovie and Kuznetsov, not Wilson. Its the same everywhere. Matt Moulsen got paid big by the Islanders because he scored 40+ off sick passes from Tavares, was Moulsen worth what he got paid? Sure, as long as he was playing with Tavares, the moment he wasn't he struggled to score in the double digits. Wilson has never scored much on his own and needs the right people to make him as effective as he was in the playoffs and also I will say the reffing in the playoffs is garbage. Its both ways, refs let everything go and its not a good thing. Speed and skill make way for size and strength because the refs let clutching and grabbing go in the playoffs. That's why Boston won when they did, Vancouver was a way better team but by the time they got to the finals, the big bad bruins were allowed to do what ever they wanted (The Canucks also did that) and just out muscled the smaller more skilled Canucks.

Don't take that as I think the Capitals are undeserving of their win, they played fantastic and Ovie's performance throughout the playoffs was inspiring. I just think what Wilson did in the playoffs isn't what he will do in the regular season because he'd get penalties or longer suspensions for a lot of the questionable plays he does on a regular basis. What should worry you more than anything is the classic, now that he is getting paid a lot he may feel the need to prove himself, and for a player with his style and skill set, I can see him getting a big suspension for a huge and dirty hit happening very quickly. If that happens or if he starts squeezing the stick at all, all of this will turn really fast.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 1:22 p.m.
Banned
no i understand 35 points isn't great but thats not why he got that $$$ it was he's performance the last half of the season and playoffs......ive said this deal isn't really judge able till after this season

if he puts up 35 this year top line minutes then this deal is horrible if he scores 20 goals and 50-60 points it looks 100% good

And that is why every calls it terrible. Because you are literally banking on this player being more than he has ever been in his career! One good streak on a hot playoff run doesn't mean thats what he is. Bet on what he's shown so far, not what you hope he'll be someday.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 1:29 p.m.
Banned
And that is why every calls it terrible. Because you are literally banking on this player being more than he has ever been in his career! One good streak on a hot playoff run doesn't mean thats what he is. Bet on what he's shown so far, not what you hope he'll be someday.

he was only giving a bottom 6 role 3rd line was the highest ...so yeah he put up those numbers.....

but unlike all the players you named when given a top line role he thrived and didnt look out of place....he did very well.....dsp played on the top line and it caused ovi and kuzy slow their pace down and it wasn't a good mix...

Wilson hopped on that line and produced and made those 2 better so yeah I would bank on that as well......remember Wilson wanted a 2 year deal for less Washington wanted him signed long term bc he is good

youll see
Aug. 3, 2018 at 1:31 p.m.
Banned
he was only giving a bottom 6 role 3rd line was the highest ...so yeah he put up those numbers.....

but unlike all the players you named when given a top line role he thrived and didnt look out of place....he did very well.....dsp played on the top line and it caused ovi and kuzy slow their pace down and it wasn't a good mix...

Wilson hopped on that line and produced and made those 2 better so yeah I would bank on that as well......remember Wilson wanted a 2 year deal for less Washington wanted him signed long term bc he is good

youll see

Oh I am sure what I'll see.

And I know I am saying this into a vacuum and you'll not hear it but I'll say it anyways.

The comparable guys I have mentioned, haven't ever played with the calibre of players that Wilson did so they are comparables who just never received such a fortuitous opportunity.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll