SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Is Hyman Better than Tom Wilson

Aug. 25, 2018 at 8:53 p.m.
Burla
I know I am late to the party, and I dont want to get into the cap it speaks for itself. Is Hyman a better player?
Looking at the stats in only 180 games Hyman has 74 point, always playing with Matthews and Nylander. He is propped up by his linemates Matthews 63 points, Nylander 61, Hyman 40, all even strength and shorthanded, no pp time.

Okay Tom Wilson 391 games 104 points, now that is awful and literally is .266 ppg and that is bad.
Hyman is at a respectable 0.41 that isn't bad.

Now to be fair I had no clue Wilson was in the League in 13-14 and 14-15.
Hyman wasn't even close to the NHL, so let's subtract those 2 years. 149 games 27 points, that's fair, leaving his last 3 years, no longer in entry level the last 2 years actually Wilson was on a 2 by 2 deal.

77 points in 242 games, okay that is still .319 and that was with Ovechkin and Backstrom, they were both on the top line.
Zach is 2 years older, so I could be proven wrong and Wilson has 50-60 point in the next 3 or 4 years, d ot course he got paid because of 15 points in 21 games and a cup. I can't argue that, the leafs don't have one.

But Hyman was 4 in 7 on a line with Auston Matthews and William Nylander both only had 2 points.

At that pace Hyman would get 12 in 21, but what if Mathews converted more than 1 of 27 shooting in those games, does Hyman has 5, 6 points, he could have more.

We do not know where they are going, Wilsom could have a career high 60 points, or a career high 35, especially when Ovi retires.

Is Hyman better than Wilson, your thoughts..
Aug. 25, 2018 at 10:18 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Hyman is better than Wilson, yes.
burla13 liked this.
Aug. 25, 2018 at 10:22 p.m.
Burla
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Hyman is better than Wilson, yes.

Hahahaha well I love the vindication (even though I realize it is a lot of what others have said before) just wanted some feedback. So thank you.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Aug. 26, 2018 at 12:47 a.m.
Banned
Edited Aug. 26, 2018 at 12:54 a.m.
Like we discussed it’s a little too early. Hyman played the entire year with Matthews and had 5 more points in 4 more games than Wilson. Wilson didn’t get an entire year playing w kuzy or backstrom so it would be hard to say what his numbers would look like. People generally don’t like Wilson and like to trash him but he’s actually a pretty solid player and does the ugly stuff that helps free up kuzy and ovi. I like Hymans game but imo Wilson offers more and its very primitive to strictly look at stats for a grinders when they offer way more. He’s probably the caps best pk player. Also had .75 Ppg this playoffs. Is a top 10 guy in hits every year.

Imo Wilson is better. He’s 2 years younger just won the cup. He looked amazing in the playoffs and if he stays in a top 6 role I can see him putting up 40-50 points easily. He might even see some power play time.

Also I see you said he played 242 games with Backy and ovi? He played at most 40 games (guessing but I’m feel this is very close to the actual number)with them total. Your information isn’t accurate at all. About 80% of those games he played with..... beagle mike Richards eller latta...... far from Backy and kuzy
Aug. 26, 2018 at 12:57 a.m.
Burla
Quoting: capsin9
Like we discussed it’s a little too early. Hyman played the entire year with Matthews and had 5 more points in 4 more games than Wilson.
Matthews missed 20 games, just as an aside.
Aug. 26, 2018 at 1:02 a.m.
Burla
Why pay him right away, like if he asked for that number and they just caved it doesn't make mush sense.
Like if they gave him a one year 4.5 million dollar deal, which I think most people would still call an overpayment and see what he does.
If he gets 50 points then 5.1 is the number because he will not get Forsbergs 6x6.

Can you agree that is Tom Wilson is a career 30-40 point guy that this is a bad contract?

One playoff run, although clearly important does not define how a guy will play for the nest 10 years. At least that is what Dustin Browns agent must be laughing about.
Aug. 26, 2018 at 1:02 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: burla13

Still doesn’t trump the first 70% of the season Wilson played w beagle or eller
Aug. 26, 2018 at 1:06 a.m.
Banned
Why pay him right away, like if he asked for that number and they just caved it doesn't make mush sense.
Like if they gave him a one year 4.5 million dollar deal, which I think most people would still call an overpayment and see what he does.
If he gets 50 points then 5.1 is the number because he will not get Forsbergs 6x6.

Can you agree that is Tom Wilson is a career 30-40 point guy that this is a bad contract?

One playoff run, although clearly important does not define how a guy will play for the nest 10 years. At least that is what Dustin Browns agent must be laughing about.

He wanted a 2 year deal for 3.75 and the caps wanted him long term and that’s what he and his agent decided was fair. I can’t argue bc idk how he’ll do in a top 6 role for an entire season. But I think you look at points and try to make that correlate with his pay. Wilson Is a young lucic. Idk of you remember how good he was when he was younger but that my way comparison. Caps took a risk and imo they paid him 1 million too much but if he scores 40-45 this season and 45-55 next season he would probably get more and they risk losing him in free Agenc

The contract info is what I was reading from various sources
Aug. 26, 2018 at 1:08 a.m.
Banned
He wanted a 2 year deal for 3.75 and the caps wanted him long term and that’s what he and his agent decided was fair. I can’t argue bc idk how he’ll do in a top 6 role for an entire season. But I think you look at points and try to make that correlate with his pay. Wilson Is a young lucic. Idk of you remember how good he was when he was younger but that my best comparison. Caps took a risk and imo they paid him 1 million too much but if he scores 40-45 this season and 45-55 next season he would probably get more and they risk losing him in free Agenc

The contract info is what I was reading from various sources

Also you said why pay him right away the guy has played 391 nhl games. He’s 24. He’s been playing in the nhl about as long as a elite 18 year old.... difference being he really needed 2 years in Hershey to develop his game but instead he was forced into a bottom 6 (4th line to be more realistic ) role.
Aug. 26, 2018 at 8:36 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I'm a Hyman supporter, but don't think he is as good as Wilson. Folks look at Hyman scoring stats and think he a dragging that line down because he usually plays with Matthews and Nylander. Fact is rarely plays the PP.
Even strength, the Hyman/Matthews/Nylander line is very good, and Hyman is a big part of it.
burla13 liked this.
Aug. 26, 2018 at 12:24 p.m.
Burla
Also you said why pay him right away the guy has played 391 nhl games. He’s 24. He’s been playing in the nhl about as long as a elite 18 year old.... difference being he really needed 2 years in Hershey to develop his game but instead he was forced into a bottom 6 (4th line to be more realistic ) role.

Is that in itself poor management? Why force a kid into rough bottom 6 minutes when he could develop his skills in the A?
Aug. 26, 2018 at 4:18 p.m.
Banned
Is that in itself poor management? Why force a kid into rough bottom 6 minutes when he could develop his skills in the A?

I think it was more Oates than management but I agree
Aug. 26, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.
Burla
I think it was more Oates than management but I agree

Also upon further research, I found a few great contracts for players who scored more points than Tom Wilson.
Dave Bolland with a career-high of 47 points 5.5 x 5 years, he was 30 so maybe this was less logical, but he still won 3 cups and those checking players that win cups get paid.

The better I think though is David Clarkson, signed by my favourite team, after a 30 goal season and a trip to the cup final! 28 and a career high of 46 points, 11 more than tom Wilson, had 12 points on the way to a cup loss frown, but he was a heart and soul guy so the leafs gave him 7 YEARS at 5,250,000 and remember much like Mr. Wilson, this was a bargain because Edmonton offered 7 per year.

The fact that the contracts were close and Clackson at least scored 30 goals once, Wilson has a career high of 14.

This is my final point, from here we will see what Tom Wilson gets this year, but if he doesn't get 40 points, Washington will be sweating.
Aug. 27, 2018 at 11:12 a.m.
Below Market Value
I think Tom Wilson is the better player, more skill, but he comes with more risks. He's good for about 150 PIM every season, which hurts the team and reduces his effectiveness on the ice. However, he also draws a lot of penalties, which helps his team. Hyman is probably the safer choice, since he doesn't pose the risk of pissing off officials and taking penalties, but Wilson has the higher upside. Both are complementary players that can kill penalties.

Hyman:

Pros: Penalty killer, fewer penalties taken, draws penalties, safer bet
Cons: Less skill, could finish better

Wilson:

Pros: More skill, draws a lot of penalties, kills penalties
Cons: Takes a lot of penalties, bad rep with refs
krakowitz and burla13 liked this.
Aug. 27, 2018 at 1:34 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Tom Wilson is going to be the more productive player, but he is going to be in the penalty box a lot. However, he is an excellent penalty killer and complements Washington's top guys very well. Hyman complements the Leafs top guys very well. I'm sure Leafs fans are going to prefer Hyman over Wilson, and Caps fans will prefer Wilson over Hyman. I, as a Caps fan who watches Wilson all the time, sees Wilson as a player who is great at driving the play, getting behind the goal line, forcing turnovers, and sets the tone with physicality (even though that line gets crossed every now and then).

The pace that Wilson was at playing with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov to me shows that he is the better player than Hyman playing with Matthews and Nylander. But that's my Caps fan opinion.
burla13 liked this.
Aug. 27, 2018 at 3:23 p.m.
Burla
Quoting: krakowitz
Tom Wilson is going to be the more productive player, but he is going to be in the penalty box a lot. However, he is an excellent penalty killer and complements Washington's top guys very well. Hyman complements the Leafs top guys very well. I'm sure Leafs fans are going to prefer Hyman over Wilson, and Caps fans will prefer Wilson over Hyman. I, as a Caps fan who watches Wilson all the time, sees Wilson as a player who is great at driving the play, getting behind the goal line, forcing turnovers, and sets the tone with physicality (even though that line gets crossed every now and then).

The pace that Wilson was at playing with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov to me shows that he is the better player than Hyman playing with Matthews and Nylander. But that's my Caps fan opinion.

And I am a Leafs fan so I am more willing to hear from someone who sees him every day. I just thought it was a great debate because they both play checking roles on top lines and it is an interesting comparison.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll