Forums/Armchair-GM

Sign Trouba to an Offer Sheet

Created by: burla13
Team: 2019-20 Tampa Bay Lightning
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 29, 2018
Published: Aug. 29, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I realize this team is also over the cap, and it strengthens my thought that Toronto will quickly be the best team in the NHL, without much argument, but Tampa needs to do something to get better. Yzerman has been looking for a RHD forever, I have thought about a Point trade, but Tampa people say this will not happen, I trust them more than myself, because I do not listen to Tampa radio enough to know his true value.
Taking Trouba for a 1st 2nd and 3rd is a complete steal and it can be done with an offer sheet, one that Winnipeg cannot match with Laine, Wheeler, Connor and Morrissey. If they decide to keep Myers, whoch would be good then they have even less cap space. i think Tampa steals Trouba and then uses the off season to find a home for either Johnson or Killorn.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$5,000,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
1$850,000
6$8,333,333
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$4,450,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
Trades
TBL
    This pick goes to Ottawa along with half of Callahan's contract, he goes back to NYR to play with Hendrick and try and turn things around.
    NYR
    1. Callahan, Ryan
    2. 2021 3rd round pick (TBL)
    TBL
      Trouba at 9 x 7, PK Subban, 1 less year.
      WPG
      1. 2020 1st round pick (TBL)
      2. 2020 2nd round pick (TBL)
      3. 2020 3rd round pick (TBL)
      TBL
        Trouba.
        WPG
        1. 2021 1st round pick (TBL)
        Buyouts
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the TBL
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        23$82,000,000$84,622,498$0$1,532,500-$2,622,498
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        $4,450,000$4,450,000
        C, LW, RW
        UFA - 6
        $8,500,000$8,500,000
        LW, C
        NMC
        UFA - 5
        $9,500,000$9,500,000
        RW
        UFA - 8
        $5,300,000$5,300,000
        LW, RW
        NTC
        UFA - 3
        $5,000,000$5,000,000
        C, RW
        UFA - 3
        $833,333$833,333
        RW
        RFA - 2
        $5,250,000$5,250,000
        C, LW, RW
        UFA - 4
        $5,000,000$5,000,000
        RW, C, LW
        NTC
        UFA - 5
        $4,450,000$4,450,000
        RW, LW
        NTC
        UFA - 4
        $728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
        C, LW
        UFA - 1
        $850,000$850,000
        C, LW, RW
        UFA - 2
        $700,000$700,000
        LW
        UFA - 1
        $700,000$700,000
        C
        UFA - 2
        $700,000$700,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $7,875,000$7,875,000
        LD
        NMC
        UFA - 6
        $8,333,333$8,333,333
        RD
        UFA - 7
        $3,500,000$3,500,000
        G
        UFA - 1
        $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
        LD/RD
        UFA - 1
        $1,150,000$1,150,000
        G
        UFA - 1
        $6,750,000$6,750,000
        LD
        NTC
        UFA - 7
        $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
        RD
        RFA - 2
        $700,000$700,000
        LD/RD
        UFA - 1
        $700,000$700,000
        RD
        UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Aug. 29, 2018 at 10:27 p.m.
        Chicago
        Taking Trouba for a 1st 2nd and 3rd is a steal, because you're giving incorrect compensation. It's 4 firsts. Not that. There are many great tools on this site including an offer sheet compensation calculator. Plug in 9 million for 7 years and you'll realize its total salary/5 years.
        CD282 liked this.
        Aug. 29, 2018 at 10:28 p.m.
        wpg
        R realize Tampa is strapped on cash as well? 9 mil is something they can't afford

And truthfully I wouldn't be surprised if Chevy matches
        Aug. 29, 2018 at 10:30 p.m.
        Log off the internet
        That’s way too much money for Trouba and you didn’t even do the compensation correctly
        CD282 liked this.
        Aug. 29, 2018 at 10:43 p.m.
        Burla
        Quoting: NickC1988
        Taking Trouba for a 1st 2nd and 3rd is a steal, because you're giving incorrect compensation. It's 4 firsts. Not that. There are many great tools on this site including an offer sheet compensation calculator. Plug in 9 million for 7 years and you'll realize its total salary/5 years.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2018/05/2018-offer-sheet-compensation.html

You are correct there should be a 2nd first there. Thats my bad. 2 firsts a 2nd and 3rd. That's worth a number 1 D
        Aug. 29, 2018 at 10:44 p.m.
        Burla
        Quoting: Hedman77
        That’s way too much money for Trouba and you didn’t even do the compensation correctly

Yeah sorry it should be 2 firsts. My bad.
        Aug. 29, 2018 at 10:55 p.m.
        Log off the internet
        Quoting: burla13
        Yeah sorry it should be 2 firsts. My bad.

https://www.capfriendly.com/offer-sheet-calculator
        Aug. 29, 2018 at 10:57 p.m.
        Burla

Yeah 2 firsts a 2nd and a 3rd.
        9 is between 8.1 and 10.1 lol.
        I fixed it
        And I think that is good value.
        And I think Trouba with Hedman would be a great pair.
        Aug. 29, 2018 at 10:58 p.m.
        Log off the internet
        Yeah 2 firsts a 2nd and a 3rd.
        9 is between 8.1 and 10.1 lol.
        I fixed it
        And I think that is good value.
        And I think Trouba with Hedman would be a great pair.

you know there's a salary cap right?
        Aug. 29, 2018 at 11:07 p.m.
        Burla
        you know there's a salary cap right?

Yeah that is why you need to move Killorn and maybe Johson. I wanted Panarin too but then Stevie doesnt get his RHD.
        Those Miller and McDounagh deals are going to start hurting soon.
        Aug. 29, 2018 at 11:27 p.m.
        Log off the internet
        Yeah that is why you need to move Killorn and maybe Johson. I wanted Panarin too but then Stevie doesnt get his RHD.
        Those Miller and McDounagh deals are going to start hurting soon.

I think you’re underestimating the severity of our cap situation. Killorn and Johnson will need to be moved in most future Tampa AGMs WITHOUT signing a 9M RFA
        Aug. 29, 2018 at 11:30 p.m.
        Chicago
        https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2018/05/2018-offer-sheet-compensation.html

You are correct there should be a 2nd first there. Thats my bad. 2 firsts a 2nd and 3rd. That's worth a number 1 D

Use the cap friendly calculator... It's four 1sts.
        Aug. 29, 2018 at 11:39 p.m.
        Burla
        I think you’re underestimating the severity of our cap situation. Killorn and Johnson will need to be moved in most future Tampa AGMs WITHOUT signing a 9M RFA

May I ask. I am a Leaf fan and playing with their car isnt fun anymore, can I ask or can you link me to what you think they should do?
        How do they compete in 2020 when sergachev has to get paid too?
        I'm just asking I would like to see your ideas!
        Aug. 29, 2018 at 11:43 p.m.
        it's a dumb contract to offer trouba. he isn't a top five dman in league. certainly tampa doesn't have the cap. trouba is just one year from being ufa. the jets would welcome getting so many picks.
        Aug. 29, 2018 at 11:50 p.m.
        Black Lives Matter
        First, offer sheets don't happen anymore. Second, you have to give up 4 1sts at that contract, so it's not even the right compensation. And you're over the cap.
        Aug. 29, 2018 at 11:55 p.m.
        Burla
        Quoting: rangersandislesfan
        First, offer sheets don't happen anymore. Second, you have to give up 4 1sts at that contract, so it's not even the right compensation. And you're over the cap.

Yes I know.
        They would do 6 years 50 million so it isn2 firsts a 2nd and a 3rd.
        You have to trade either Killorn or Johnson.
        Tampa is in trouble.
        Aug. 30, 2018 at 12:50 a.m.
        Yes I know.
        Tampa is in trouble.

I don't think Tampa's in as much trouble as people like to say. Stralman's not getting $4.5m again, and Girardi and Coburn are leaving after this season (or getting a very small short-term contract after everything else is managed). If you undo all of these trades, we'd be around $70,000 over the cap, and we can have 13 forwards instead of 14 to fit. Then, in the expansion draft, they likely protect Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Palat, Gourde, Miller (or Johnson), and Cirelli (and then Hedman, Sergachev, McDonagh for defense, and Vasilevskiy in goal). It would make by far the most sense for Seattle to take whoever is exposed from Miller/Johnson (and otherwise, those are significant assets that the Lightning would have no problem moving, and if Johnson refuses to move, Miller's NTC is modified, so it's not a full NTC). They have the prospects to make up for that loss, and that should open up space to re-sign everyone (Callahan gets less money (or no money), Carle's buyout expires, the cap goes up, etc.) giving them more than enough to re-sign Sergachev, Vasilevskiy, and Cirelli.

If Trouba wants more money than Hedman, he can go somewhere else; we can contend for a Cup without touching the lineup at this point anyway. That being said, if we don't take on a massive contract that we can't afford to address something that we may not even need that badly, we can stay under the cap. And the Leafs don't have any Selke-contender at the level of Point, or any Norris contender at the level of Hedman, and we have the deeper prospect pool (yes, the Leafs won the AHL, but their AHL team has several players who are in their prime already and will likely never make the NHL beyond the fourth line even though they're quite capable in the AHL against less talented competition). Nylander, Marner, and Marleau on wing doesn't even come close to Kucherov, Gourde, and Palat. Vasilevskiy's also elite and will likely get more consistent. The Leafs beat us badly on scoring centers (though Cirelli has a ton of potential), and maybe offensive production by defensemen depending on how their prospects develop, but we beat them with wingers, defensive forwards, defensive defensemen, and goaltending. It will be competitive between them, it remains to be seen how Tavares fits into the lineup, and you can't predict how some players will develop, but to say that the Leafs are objectively a "better" team, for now, is simply not true.
        Aug. 30, 2018 at 8:15 a.m.
        Burla
        Quoting: I_Know_Nothing_About_Hockey_Or_Any_Sport2
        I don't think Tampa's in as much trouble as people like to say. Stralman's not getting $4.5m again, and Girardi and Coburn are leaving after this season (or getting a very small short-term contract after everything else is managed). If you undo all of these trades, we'd be around $70,000 over the cap, and we can have 13 forwards instead of 14 to fit. Then, in the expansion draft, they likely protect Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Palat, Gourde, Miller (or Johnson), and Cirelli (and then Hedman, Sergachev, McDonagh for defense, and Vasilevskiy in goal). It would make by far the most sense for Seattle to take whoever is exposed from Miller/Johnson (and otherwise, those are significant assets that the Lightning would have no problem moving, and if Johnson refuses to move, Miller's NTC is modified, so it's not a full NTC). They have the prospects to make up for that loss, and that should open up space to re-sign everyone (Callahan gets less money (or no money), Carle's buyout expires, the cap goes up, etc.) giving them more than enough to re-sign Sergachev, Vasilevskiy, and Cirelli.

If Trouba wants more money than Hedman, he can go somewhere else; we can contend for a Cup without touching the lineup at this point anyway. That being said, if we don't take on a massive contract that we can't afford to address something that we may not even need that badly, we can stay under the cap. And the Leafs don't have any Selke-contender at the level of Point, or any Norris contender at the level of Hedman, and we have the deeper prospect pool (yes, the Leafs won the AHL, but their AHL team has several players who are in their prime already and will likely never make the NHL beyond the fourth line even though they're quite capable in the AHL against less talented competition). Nylander, Marner, and Marleau on wing doesn't even come close to Kucherov, Gourde, and Palat. Vasilevskiy's also elite and will likely get more consistent. The Leafs beat us badly on scoring centers (though Cirelli has a ton of potential), and maybe offensive production by defensemen depending on how their prospects develop, but we beat them with wingers, defensive forwards, defensive defensemen, and goaltending. It will be competitive between them, it remains to be seen how Tavares fits into the lineup, and you can't predict how some players will develop, but to say that the Leafs are objectively a "better" team, for now, is simply not true.

Great post man. I love the passion, because the way you described the is how I describe the Leafs. So here are some questions

I gave gourde 4 and a 1 year deal. If he has another season like he did will he want more?
        What will Vaselevski want the next year because Tampa has 2 years at a great number, 3.5
        I have to assume he want Hellebuck money.
        Last Sergachev at the same time as Vaselevski.
        Let us say the cap goes up to 85, in 2020 which seems fair. Especially with a 650million dollar fee to come in (I want the cap up, I'm a Leaf fan!).
        I am almost over now, and sergachec will want 4, 5? Mayne 6?
        I like your expansion idea, I dont think he gets taken but if I a Tampa after 2 more years McDonagh will be 31 with 6 more years. I think you entice them to take him and then pay Sergachev his money and give Cal Foote what I think Liligren will get out of entry level 3.5 over 5 years.

To you comments on the wing, I disagree. Kucherov is 1st Marmer and Nylander are better than yanni gourde and palat. Look at their stats and advanced number. I'll give you Gourde being 4th but then the Leafs have an Andrea's Johnsson and we dont even know how good he is going to be.
        The Leafs have the best centers and right wingers in the NHL , if you want read my forum, leads have the best right ring.
        You say Selke I say human. Point might win a selke, Hyman is the best defensive forward on either team, but because he doesnt play center he wont win.
        The goalies cancel but Freddy has 3 more years at 5. The Leafs are younger, faster and more cost efficient. Spray man I want to see these team play against each other in the 2nd round for the next 10 years. But even with Tampa having the best D now.
        In 3 years when the Leafs roll out.
        Reilly-Zaitsev
        Dermott-Liljegren
        Sandin-Holl/Jordan Subban/Ozzi
        Rosen
        They will have younger fast cheaper D. And when you have the best centers in the nhl you want young, fast and cheap D.
        Aug. 30, 2018 at 1:22 p.m.
        Black Lives Matter
        Yes I know.
        Tampa is in trouble.

So? Winnipeg would just match it and get completely stuck with the cap, and would not want to trade with the Lightning. Offer sheets are not happening.
        Aug. 30, 2018 at 2:45 p.m.
        Burla
        Quoting: rangersandislesfan
        So? Winnipeg would just match it and get completely stuck with the cap, and would not want to trade with the Lightning. Offer sheets are not happening.

They haven't for a long time and seemingly never do. But if Tampa wants to succeed, it's crazy Stakos hasn't won a cup. They may look at this as their last chance to really add an asset to this core.
        You cant keep doing the same thing, eventually this team will get old. Trouba might get them that 1 cup, and if you win a cup I think it's worth it.
        Again I go back to Dallas and Iginla. Sure Calgary got their franchise player for years to come. But Dallas won the cup. And they would make that trade 100 more times if it wins them a cup.
        Aug. 30, 2018 at 10:16 p.m.
        Great post man. I love the passion, because the way you described the is how I describe the Leafs. So here are some questions

I gave gourde 4 and a 1 year deal. If he has another season like he did will he want more?
        What will Vaselevski want the next year because Tampa has 2 years at a great number, 3.5
        I have to assume he want Hellebuck money.
        Last Sergachev at the same time as Vaselevski.
        Let us say the cap goes up to 85, in 2020 which seems fair. Especially with a 650million dollar fee to come in (I want the cap up, I'm a Leaf fan!).
        I am almost over now, and sergachec will want 4, 5? Mayne 6?
        I like your expansion idea, I dont think he gets taken but if I a Tampa after 2 more years McDonagh will be 31 with 6 more years. I think you entice them to take him and then pay Sergachev his money and give Cal Foote what I think Liligren will get out of entry level 3.5 over 5 years.

To you comments on the wing, I disagree. Kucherov is 1st Marmer and Nylander are better than yanni gourde and palat. Look at their stats and advanced number. I'll give you Gourde being 4th but then the Leafs have an Andrea's Johnsson and we dont even know how good he is going to be.
        The Leafs have the best centers and right wingers in the NHL , if you want read my forum, leads have the best right ring.
        You say Selke I say human. Point might win a selke, Hyman is the best defensive forward on either team, but because he doesnt play center he wont win.
        The goalies cancel but Freddy has 3 more years at 5. The Leafs are younger, faster and more cost efficient. Spray man I want to see these team play against each other in the 2nd round for the next 10 years. But even with Tampa having the best D now.
        In 3 years when the Leafs roll out.
        Reilly-Zaitsev
        Dermott-Liljegren
        Sandin-Holl/Jordan Subban/Ozzi
        Rosen
        They will have younger fast cheaper D. And when you have the best centers in the nhl you want young, fast and cheap D.

I have no idea about Gourde's personal needs and what kind of term he would want. I was sort of thinking 3-4 years with $4-$4.5m would be reasonable, and we wouldn't be able to afford any more than that. If he replicates his performance from last season, that's definitely taking a discount. I think he wants to stay in Tampa, and as long as he can contend for a Cup, I don't think it's that unreasonable for him to agree to that discount.

I see Gibson or Hellebuyck as a comparable for Vasilevskiy. Last season was still his first year as a starter, and he'll have to replicate it this season before he can get that contract, but his numbers two seasons ago were also really good, so it seems unlikely that this season was just a fluke. Once he proves it, I think his value should be about the same as Gibson's. Obviously salaries are expected to rise with the cap, but in a tax free state, $6.5m would hopefully be enough. Unlike Gourde, though, they couldn't just let Vasilevskiy walk if he asked for too much.

Sergachev is almost impossible to predict at this point. He was heavily sheltered and started almost exclusively in the offensive zone and played the power play, which made it easy for him to score. He handled that role as well as anyone could, but next season, I would expect him to play more minutes in a less sheltered role. He'll most likely be on a pairing with McDonagh. With Stralman last year, that pairing was able to shutdown top players for a limited amount of time (so Hedman didn't have to do everything). If McDonagh-Sergachev can continue to play that role and Sergachev can still produce offensively, he'll be worth a ton. But, considering we've only seen him in a heavily sheltered role, there's not much to predict based on, and I think his next salary could fall anywhere from $2.5m to $6m depending on his performance.

Cirelli is another similar variable. He had an impressive streak right after he was called up, but didn't produce as much during the playoffs. Some have compared him to players like Point, while other analysts suggest that he's already reached his ceiling. I don't see him getting more than $5m, unless he actually produces at Point's level (offensively and defensively) for the next two seasons and the playoffs.

I've heard that they may want McDonagh or Johnson to leave in the expansion draft. The latter is from Spokane and may like the idea of playing in Seattle, close to his home. McDonagh has a large cap hit, and may not be necessary in a few years when Foote, Cernak, and Masin are ready to play at an NHL level. I agree with your prediction for Foote, but that's another variable since we have no idea how he'll perform.

Kucherov is definitely the best winger, at least from an offensive standpoint, and it's not close. Gourde and Nylander had similar production last year, but there are key differences as Nylander is more proven (while Gourde had a really high shooting percentage), and Gourde will probably spend most of next season on the third line (he played a lot with Point on the second line last season, and thrived with that role, but so did Palat and Johnson). Then again, it is possible that Cooper will redo the lines completely and Gourde will be getting second line minutes with Point. Gourde is also the Lightning's best forechecking player (I'm not sure who plays that type of role for the Leafs). As for Palat, offensively, he's definitely not close to Marner or Nylander, but he's really good defensively. I'm not familiar enough with the Leafs to say that Nylander and Marner aren't also good in that respect, but the Palat-Point-Johnson pairing completely shutdown the Bergeron line. I distinctly remember in the playoffs last season, after the Bruins iced the puck against the Leafs, the Leafs put out the Matthews line. The Leafs lost that faceoff and the Bruins scored almost immediately. The announcers kept commenting that Babcock had taken a huge risk in putting out that line, which clearly didn't pay off. Hyman was on that line too, if I recall correctly. Obviously, with Tavares (who is more responsible defensively), the lines are completely changed, but putting out your top line should never be that much of a risk, no matter who else is on the ice. Granted, the Palat-Point-Johnson line was on a hot streak during the last four Bruins games, but it definitely appeared that Palat was at least as good defensively as Hyman. That being said, I'm not overly familiar with Hyman and I don't know if his play against Boston is really reflective of his skillset as a whole. It's true that centers are favored to win the Selke, but my point is that the Leafs don't have a shutdown line like the Lightning were able to create with the Palat-Point pairing.

If I'm correct, Reily is much better offensively than defensively, and Zaitsev is more defensive-oriented but is decent offensively as well. That's not a bad top pairing, and both players will be in their primes in three years from now. The Lightning's defensive composition isn't exactly clear (it's obvious that Girardi, who played with Hedman last season, won't be in that role in three years), so it's hard to compare, but Hedman won the Norris Trophy, and though I expect him to decline, in three years, I still think he'd be the best defenseman on either team. Sergachev, Cernak, Masin, Foote, Liljegren, Dermott, Sandin, Subban, Rosen, etc. haven't played enough at an NHL level to warrant a comparison. The former two are the only ones who have played at an NHL level, and Sergachev was very sheltered. In three years, the Leafs will have the younger defense, but it's too early to predict if the prospects will develop well and that will translate into an ideal defense to support the best group of centers in the League. The same can be said for the Lightning's defensive prospects, though.

I'm not saying that the Lightning are objectively a better team, but I don't think it's fair to say that the Leafs are either. I think the Lightning are better right now, but the Leafs will probably be better within a couple of years as Hedman and Stamkos age and the Leafs continue to improve. But both teams have several variables which will determine if they're the better team this season, and how their cap situation turns out in the future. For the Lightning, it's possible that Sergachev continues his production offensively but is effective defensively in a less sheltered role, Cirelli puts up Point-level stats, Gourde replicates last season, and Vasilevskiy continues his pace; I'd have trouble not predicting them to win the Cup in that case, but managing the salary cap afterwards would be an absolute nightmare. For the Leafs, it remains to be seen how Tavares fits in their system, and they're relying on promising defensive prospects making the jump to the NHL effectively, which may or may not actually happen. If it does, within a few years, the Leafs will undoubtedly be better as they have younger players on cheaper contracts (but you'd have to be really good with drafting and have a better GM than Yzerman to keep that open).

That being said, I cannot imagine a more entertaining playoff series than the Lightning-Leafs series which we'll likely see several times over the next few years.

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll