Forums/Armchair-GM

1 transaction to round out the team

Created by: Hamburglar44
Team: 2018-19 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 27, 2018
Published: Sep. 27, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think Maatta is a fine player on a team that isn't build around speed, transition and good puck skills. He still has some trade value and unfortunately, with the Johnson n Oleksiak contacts, there's too much money being spent on defense imo. Mattaa has terrible, terrible, terrible foot speed and that translates to poor decisions with the puck. Without the puck, he has sort of adjusted his defensive style to compensate. I know people here think for his age and contract, he's a bargain, but he isn't. He peaked in his 2nd season and after all the health issues, he regressed and I don't see him improving.
Trades
PIT
  1. Duchene, Matt ($1 retained)
OTT
  1. Määttä, Olli
  2. 2019 1st round pick (PIT)
  3. 2019 2nd round pick (PIT)
  4. 2020 3rd round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
Duchenne is not happy in Ottawa and they know he won't resign with them and are withholding salary this season for the extra pick towards their rebuild.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$79,500,000$76,496,666$0$982,500$3,003,334
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$5,999,999$5,999,999
RW, C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$734,167$734,167 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,800,000$6,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$1,875,000$1,875,000
LW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 5
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 5
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$2,137,500$2,137,500
LD/RD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 27, 2018 at 5:21 p.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
Yup!
Sep. 27, 2018 at 5:32 p.m.
Banned
You're out of your mind, there is no way Melnyk retains that dollar.
awesome and Sidstick87 liked this.
Sep. 27, 2018 at 5:35 p.m.
Hockey God Genius
I give u 5 stars for the 1 dollar retained, lol
Sep. 27, 2018 at 7:04 p.m.
Go Bruins Go
The 1 dollar wasn’t on purpose right? That’s what happens to me when I tried having Ott retain on Stone for a mil
Sep. 27, 2018 at 7:09 p.m.
Pop Pop
A decemt d and 3 picks seems like alot to watch duchene come and go in the same season.
Sep. 27, 2018 at 7:26 p.m.
would have been more open to this type of trade for LAST season, when the team really needed a 3c and would have had Duchene for two years.
BUT now they have plenty of centers(if they made that trade they would be starting SIX NHL caliber centers, with 4 of the 6 six being top 2 line centers on all but a few other teams) and would only have Duchene for one year(at 5.99million, Ottawa is known for being cheap so even that ONE dollar might not be acceptable)
Sep. 27, 2018 at 7:52 p.m.
AHL Emissary
Maatta's no world beater but trading him and a bevy of picks for a rental is foolish, especially when it's not known if Johnson, Oleksiak, or Riikola can competently lock down the 2LD spot Olli filled last season. If he's made expendable at some point, well then he's expendable, but until he's shown to be redundant there's no point trying to shuffle him off for no long term help in return.
Sidstick87 and awesome liked this.
Sep. 27, 2018 at 8:31 p.m.
Hockey God Genius
Quoting: Jake_H
Maatta's no world beater but trading him and a bevy of picks for a rental is foolish, especially when it's not known if Johnson, Oleksiak, or Riikola can competently lock down the 2LD spot Olli filled last season. If he's made expendable at some point, well then he's expendable, but until he's shown to be redundant there's no point trying to shuffle him off for no long term help in return.

Maatta doesnt get the fair value , IMO he should get .... Hes not the best skater but the dude is a hell of a D-man and people always seem to forget that hes only 23 still. But the reason everyone is trading 1 of our Dmen is bc of how good Riikola has been in every preseason game.... I still cant get over how good the kid is already in every aspect of his game. He his a silky smooth skater, can push the puck, i dont think hes made 1 bad decision with puck, hes great defensively , and he can hit.
Sep. 27, 2018 at 9:04 p.m.
Quoting: Sidstick87
Maatta doesnt get the fair value , IMO he should get .... Hes not the best skater but the dude is a hell of a D-man and people always seem to forget that hes only 23 still. But the reason everyone is trading 1 of our Dmen is bc of how good Riikola has been in every preseason game.... I still cant get over how good the kid is already in every aspect of his game. He his a silky smooth skater, can push the puck, i dont think hes made 1 bad decision with puck, hes great defensively , and he can hit.

if they trade maata now they would be starting both rikkola and Johnson, neither of which has proven themselves solid during the regular season yet. I agree he gets criticized more than he deserves, mostly because he legitimately is slow which stands out when the team is faster. He did also regress after initially playing very well, but last season he did rebound a bit to be better again. So while it wouldn't be a bad thing to deal maata, this isn't the time or the deal to do it in.
Sidstick87 liked this.
Sep. 27, 2018 at 11:57 p.m.
Banned
It's bad enough Maatta was the ones who gave up the game winning goal vs Washington last year in the playoffs because he's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow and is an easy target to apply pressure on which leads to hasty decisions and more than 50% are liable. The pre-season games he's in been in so far this year see him get blown by from guys that aren't even NHL regulars. Like I said previously, his best days are behind him. He has had numerous seasons to work on his foot speed. He's nothing special and he's overpaid. His advanced statistics make his D-partner worse and if Gonchar hasn't fixed him by now, it's never gonna happen. All of you who think he's worth keeping are gonna wish you traded him while he's worth something instead of waiting around like they did with Derrick Pouliot.
Sep. 28, 2018 at 1:03 a.m.
GM67
I agree about Maatta and have posted this same sentiments. He's good player but for another team. Riikola replaces him and then some and for less money. Move him now before his value plummets and a trade to Ottawa can work as you mentioned because they need to recognize that veteran and experienced players want OUT of Ottawa and they better figure this out quick before they loose all leverage. Nice post.
Sep. 28, 2018 at 8:25 a.m.
Quoting: Hamburglar44
It's bad enough Maatta was the ones who gave up the game winning goal vs Washington last year in the playoffs because he's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow and is an easy target to apply pressure on which leads to hasty decisions and more than 50% are liable. The pre-season games he's in been in so far this year see him get blown by from guys that aren't even NHL regulars. Like I said previously, his best days are behind him. He has had numerous seasons to work on his foot speed. He's nothing special and he's overpaid. His advanced statistics make his D-partner worse and if Gonchar hasn't fixed him by now, it's never gonna happen. All of you who think he's worth keeping are gonna wish you traded him while he's worth something instead of waiting around like they did with Derrick Pouliot.

So... a guy that has an NHL job gets and is playing solely to get the rust off is blown past by a guy that is working his butt off to try to earn a NHL job... in an otherwise completely meaningless game? Whhhaaaaaaattt? Yeah, trade that bum!
Sep. 28, 2018 at 11:31 a.m.
AHL Emissary

You do know that he's coming off a season where he played all 82 games and tied his career high in points, right? He's not gonna get pushed out the back door for a mid-round pick and a warm body.
awesome liked this.
Sep. 29, 2018 at 6:50 p.m.
You do know that he's coming off a season where he played all 82 games and tied his career high in points, right? He's not gonna get pushed out the back door for a mid-round pick and a warm body.

if he realized that he probably wouldn't have suggested the trade. But that would take him actually paying attention.
Sep. 29, 2018 at 8:53 p.m.
AHL Emissary
Quoting: awesome
if he realized that he probably wouldn't have suggested the trade. But that would take him actually paying attention.

Right? I'm not trying to say Maatta is an elite defensemen or that he's not a bit pricy for what he brings, but everyone is so fixated on the one bad year in five he's had, plus the bad moves that stick out for all defensemen if you're staring. He's averaged 0.34 points per game over his career minus the atrocious 2016 season, and here's a list of players he beat in shot attempts at 5v5 over the last three years: Shattenkirk, Schmidt, Karlsson, Trouba, Kelfbom, Hamhuis, Cole, Schultz, Brodie, Ekblad, Suter, Carlson, Vlasic, Provorov, Vatanen, Dumba, Brodin, Barrie, and McDonagh. Now almost all of those guys have a heavier workload and tougher assignments, but that doesn't change the fact that Maatta has a top 50 SAT differential the last few seasons (including his garbage year). He's a good defenseman who isn't a perfect fit but is still valuable to the team and system.
Sep. 29, 2018 at 11:38 p.m.
Banned
Right? I'm not trying to say Maatta is an elite defensemen or that he's not a bit pricy for what he brings, but everyone is so fixated on the one bad year in five he's had, plus the bad moves that stick out for all defensemen if you're staring. He's averaged 0.34 points per game over his career minus the atrocious 2016 season, and here's a list of players he beat in shot attempts at 5v5 over the last three years: Shattenkirk, Schmidt, Karlsson, Trouba, Kelfbom, Hamhuis, Cole, Schultz, Brodie, Ekblad, Suter, Carlson, Vlasic, Provorov, Vatanen, Dumba, Brodin, Barrie, and McDonagh. Now almost all of those guys have a heavier workload and tougher assignments, but that doesn't change the fact that Maatta has a top 50 SAT differential the last few seasons (including his garbage year). He's a good defenseman who isn't a perfect fit but is still valuable to the team and system.

Oh, I pay attention. How many times must you see him getting blown by or making piss poor decisions with the puck when under pressure to realize he's not as good as you think? And for 4mil per year, it makes it worse. Maybe his salary is my focal point bc I expect more for that price. Imo he's a 3mil player and yes that 1mil makes a difference in a cap restricted league. That list of defensemen isn't a good comparison bc a lot of them are offensively minded and a few are straight trash and/or are on awful teams.
You don't classify Maatta as an elite defenseman yet you lumped into a group of defenseman where around half are to try n prove a point. Then say he won't get pushed out for a warm body (Duchesne isn't a warm body). Apparently you didn't the trade. All you Yinzers are ridiculous with the hometown views on players. Every single Pittsburgher adores all their players no matter how good or bad they are. You guys probably all have a Craig Adams bobblehead on your mantels. Maatta is the second coming of Rob Scuderi. Fyi, I don't think Hagelin, Johnson or Oleksiak are worth their contracts either so bring all the hate ya want, It'll be more of a proving point.
Sep. 30, 2018 at 10:58 a.m.
AHL Emissary
quote=Hamburglar44;597799]Oh, I pay attention. How many times must you see him getting blown by or making piss poor decisions with the puck when under pressure to realize he's not as good as you think? And for 4mil per year, it makes it worse. Maybe his salary is my focal point bc I expect more for that price. Imo he's a 3mil player and yes that 1mil makes a difference in a cap restricted league. That list of defensemen isn't a good comparison bc a lot of them are offensively minded and a few are straight trash and/or are on awful teams.
You don't classify Maatta as an elite defenseman yet you lumped into a group of defenseman where around half are to try n prove a point. Then say he won't get pushed out for a warm body (Duchesne isn't a warm body). Apparently you didn't the trade. All you Yinzers are ridiculous with the hometown views on players. Every single Pittsburgher adores all their players no matter how good or bad they are. You guys probably all have a Craig Adams bobblehead on your mantels. Maatta is the second coming of Rob Scuderi. Fyi, I don't think Hagelin, Johnson or Oleksiak are worth their contracts either so bring all the hate ya want, It'll be more of a proving point.[/quote]

I didn't lump him in and say, "See!?! He has better shots than Karlsson therefore he's better than Karlsson!!!" There are differences in system, strength of team, and talent that account for a lot of the disparity, so if you wanna take the shallowest glance at what people are trying to say and turn it into, "lol yinzer dumb" then go ahead. Maatta is a solid 2nd pairing defenseman that given his contract, age, and on ice production is worth a UFA like Duchene almost by himself, but you throw in the entire top of a draft along with him. Then you turn around and imply, "oh you better not wait or he'll only get what Pouliot got" when Pouliot couldn't crack the roster and Maatta is an established five-year NHL vet at 24. Your valuation on Maatta as a player and a trade chip is terrible.

Also I've never lived in or around Pittsburgh, so there goes your yinzer argument.
awesome liked this.
Sep. 30, 2018 at 2:13 p.m.
Oh, I pay attention. How many times must you see him getting blown by or making piss poor decisions with the puck when under pressure to realize he's not as good as you think? And for 4mil per year, it makes it worse. Maybe his salary is my focal point bc I expect more for that price. Imo he's a 3mil player and yes that 1mil makes a difference in a cap restricted league. That list of defensemen isn't a good comparison bc a lot of them are offensively minded and a few are straight trash and/or are on awful teams.
You don't classify Maatta as an elite defenseman yet you lumped into a group of defenseman where around half are to try n prove a point. Then say he won't get pushed out for a warm body (Duchesne isn't a warm body). Apparently you didn't the trade. All you Yinzers are ridiculous with the hometown views on players. Every single Pittsburgher adores all their players no matter how good or bad they are. You guys probably all have a Craig Adams bobblehead on your mantels. Maatta is the second coming of Rob Scuderi. Fyi, I don't think Hagelin, Johnson or Oleksiak are worth their contracts either so bring all the hate ya want, It'll be more of a proving point.

if he is overpaid slightly that's different from being trash like a trade like this would indicate. Rust is overpaid by 500k-1mil but he isn't being traded for a bag of pucks. Hagelin is overpaid 1-2mil but isn't being traded for a bag of pucks. Oleksiak got much more than I expected but that contract since he still relatively new can turn out good or bad, I am not sure yet. Johnson is overpaid by at least a million, if you switched him and maata in the trade and got Ottawa to retain salary(which wouldn't happen) to make the move cap neutral....I might actually be ok with that deal.
Sep. 30, 2018 at 7:34 p.m.
Banned
Seriously reported me??? Very typical!!!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll