$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
UFA
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 3
$850,000$850,000
G
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 12, 2018 at 12:34 p.m.
Big John T
Nylander won't get that much to be a UFA that soon

That's the worst D in the league. Go back through Philly's drafts to see what it takes to assemble a decent one.
If Corrado and Carrick weren't good enough defensively for Babcock, then Rosen will never play a full season

I don't see the logic of sacrificing at the weak point of your roster, the team needs to spend more on D. The forwards have been good enough to score in the playoffs for years now, and hitting pause or reset to draft and develop your way out of the Marleau cap crunch will suck.
Oct. 12, 2018 at 12:59 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: tatatavares

That's the worst D in the league. Go back through Philly's drafts to see what it takes to assemble a decent one.
If Corrado and Carrick weren't good enough defensively for Babcock, then Rosen will never play a full season

I don't see the logic of sacrificing at the weak point of your roster, the team needs to spend more on D. The forwards have been good enough to score in the playoffs for years now, and hitting pause or reset to draft and develop your way out of the Marleau cap crunch will suck.

6.8m is pretty damn close. It’s the kappy contract he missed on.
palhal and LeafsNation2479 liked this.
Oct. 12, 2018 at 1:15 p.m.
Banned

Who are you even a fan of? Every day this guy is on here ripping the Leafs in every way possible but claims to be a Leafs fan.

1) The Leafs are far from the worst defensive team in the League. They have a guy who's 24 and could be a Norris contender this year. They have 2-3 really good defensive prospects who are only a couple years out from contributing, and their offense is just unmatched. Why sacrifice your strengths to overpay to fill a hole that isn't as big as everyone says it is?

It would be one thing if they didn't have any prospects coming in that could be answers on the blueline, then you have to overpay but with Liljegren and Sandin coming in the very near future, why pay a kings ransom for an older player that maybe has 3-5 good years left before they are on their way out of the league? Why not, for an example, spend much less at the deadline for a guy who will upgrade the top pairing by allowing Hainsey to move further down the line? If you can give me a reasonable explanation as to why that isn't a great idea, I'd be happy to hear it.
Oct. 12, 2018 at 1:42 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

This is kinda getting foolish about the worse defence in the league. Same GAA as Cup winning Washington last year. Same as Columbus as with Jone and Bob. Vegas went to the finals with a no name defence.

So this bit about the worse defence in the league, c;mon are really trolling for reaction because it doesn't appear to factually correct.
LeafsNation2479 liked this.
Oct. 12, 2018 at 2:11 p.m.
Big John T
Quoting: palhal
This is kinda getting foolish about the worse defence in the league. Same GAA as Cup winning Washington last year. Same as Columbus as with Jone and Bob. Vegas went to the finals with a no name defence.

So this bit about the worse defence in the league, c;mon are really trolling for reaction because it doesn't appear to factually correct.

I'm not speaking long term, just next season. It takes the current roster, and adds players that couldn't earn a spot on it.
You can count on simple predictions like that.

Nylander may be out, but the Leafs are tied with Ottawa for last place in goals allowed: 20 in 5 games. (it'd be less in GA/G, but still near the bottom)
But no one recognizes it because Tavares + Matthews + Rielly are smashing records in offence

My point is that the playoffs are a different beast. The Leafs really haven't had trouble in the regular season, even with much worse rosters than the current one.
The team needs to make changes in a way that makes a difference for the playoffs. Tavares is an amazing addition there.

I would look to the relentless buzzing swarm Vegas ran as a defence that didn't lean as heavily on the D. If the Leafs could add Nate Schmidt or Jay Bouwmeester, I'd change my tune completely. As it stands, there is nothing there to stabilize the backend and it will crush their spirits when the games matter.

When Marner's wrist is bruised up like a grapefruit and your team isn't getting PP time, you need to survive somehow.
Oct. 12, 2018 at 2:15 p.m.
Big John T
How about this:

Run a poll with this D roster listed.
Ask the 30 other teams if they would trade their bluelines with the Leafs straight up.
I can't think of one team that would see it as an upgrade.

If that's the case, you have to agree it's the worst D in the league. You can only argue that it doesn't matter, but that's why I highlight the playoffs because it will matter then
Oct. 26, 2018 at 12:39 p.m.
How about this:

Run a poll with this D roster listed.
Ask the 30 other teams if they would trade their bluelines with the Leafs straight up.
I can't think of one team that would see it as an upgrade.

If that's the case, you have to agree it's the worst D in the league. You can only argue that it doesn't matter, but that's why I highlight the playoffs because it will matter then

Leafs with a defense core of Reilly-Hainsey, Gardiner-Zaitsev, Dermott, Polak, Holl, Carrick last season gave up less goals than Pitt, Wsh, Tampa. So I really do not think that the Leafs defense is that bad. Its more of a team defense issue as a 5 man unit. Getting rid of Carrick and Polak will help the Leafs this season. But Sandin and Liljegren will be good dmen for a long time.
Oct. 26, 2018 at 1:10 p.m.
Banned
I'm not speaking long term, just next season. It takes the current roster, and adds players that couldn't earn a spot on it.
You can count on simple predictions like that.

Nylander may be out, but the Leafs are tied with Ottawa for last place in goals allowed: 20 in 5 games. (it'd be less in GA/G, but still near the bottom)
But no one recognizes it because Tavares + Matthews + Rielly are smashing records in offence

My point is that the playoffs are a different beast. The Leafs really haven't had trouble in the regular season, even with much worse rosters than the current one.
The team needs to make changes in a way that makes a difference for the playoffs. Tavares is an amazing addition there.

I would look to the relentless buzzing swarm Vegas ran as a defence that didn't lean as heavily on the D. If the Leafs could add Nate Schmidt or Jay Bouwmeester, I'd change my tune completely. As it stands, there is nothing there to stabilize the backend and it will crush their spirits when the games matter.

When Marner's wrist is bruised up like a grapefruit and your team isn't getting PP time, you need to survive somehow.

This guy would change his tune if the Leafs picked up Bouwmeester, who has been a healthy scratch this season. Pining for the good old days, maybe they can convince Chelios to come out of retirement.
Oct. 26, 2018 at 1:13 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: LeafsNation2479
Leafs with a defense core of Reilly-Hainsey, Gardiner-Zaitsev, Dermott, Polak, Holl, Carrick last season gave up less goals than Pitt, Wsh, Tampa. So I really do not think that the Leafs defense is that bad. Its more of a team defense issue as a 5 man unit. Getting rid of Carrick and Polak will help the Leafs this season. But Sandin and Liljegren will be good dmen for a long time.

Arguing with this guy is about as fruitless as a task can be. He just spouts off a bunch of Defence stuff that doesn't really make sense and is almost impossible to follow. Zero relevent information is used and he'll angrily insult people who disagree with him.
Oct. 31, 2018 at 11:01 a.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
Arguing with this guy is about as fruitless as a task can be. He just spouts off a bunch of Defence stuff that doesn't really make sense and is almost impossible to follow. Zero relevent information is used and he'll angrily insult people who disagree with him.

actual real life stats over a full season are FACTS. Something that you dont have in your argument. You provided an opinion and I replied with FACTS.

The only thing in this convo that is irrelevant is your opinion.

SO unless you have stats to prove that the Leafs didnt have a better defense than PITT, WSH, or Tampa then you lose. By the way, Tampa's PK was bottom 5 in the NHL (28th to be exact) last year and the Leafs were 11th. WSH was 15th on PK, Pitt was 17th on PK. And like i said before all those teams gave up more goals as well. SO if it wasnt the defense, then it was probably Dominek Hasek in net. lol
Oct. 31, 2018 at 11:05 a.m.
Banned
actual real life stats over a full season are FACTS. Something that you dont have in your argument. You provided an opinion and I replied with FACTS.

The only thing in this convo that is irrelevant is your opinion.

SO unless you have stats to prove that the Leafs didnt have a better defense than PITT, WSH, or Tampa then you lose. By the way, Tampa's PK was bottom 5 in the NHL (28th to be exact) last year and the Leafs were 11th. WSH was 15th on PK, Pitt was 17th on PK. And like i said before all those teams gave up more goals as well. SO if it wasnt the defense, then it was probably Dominek Hasek in net. lol

I was not at all directing that at you boss, sorry if it came across that way. I was talking about that tatatavares guy. I completely agree with you.
LeafsNation2479 liked this.
Oct. 31, 2018 at 1:06 p.m.
I was not at all directing that at you boss, sorry if it came across that way. I was talking about that tatatavares guy. I completely agree with you.

my bad.
Oct. 31, 2018 at 1:10 p.m.
Banned
my bad.

No worries, I could have made that more clear. That guy is hilarious though, TO could win the presidents trophy and be a win away from winning the cup and he'll still say stuff like "Toronto has no chance becuase they don't have, and I'll be clear on this, with the death star where it is, and remember the Oilers were in the same boat, McDavid is definitely a player on a team, defence, they should trade Nylander and Marner, old school hockey sounds. If you don't get what I am trying to say, you're as smart as Kyle Dumbass."

The really crazy thing, is that I'm not even exaggerating that much.
Dec. 7, 2018 at 6:18 p.m.

LOOK WHO IS WRONG? Nylander got 6.9. BYE!
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:50 p.m.
Big John T
LOOK WHO IS WRONG? Nylander got 6.9. BYE!

Is 6.9 that different than 7?
Was it not a 6 year deal?
Everyone would say I was bang on bud

It's settled for now, but the consequences aren't over (relative to the consensus $6 x 8 on here). He'll be traded before his contract is done. Probably impossible during his $10 million season. There is no rush, but all things being equal it would be better to not hesitate and give the team a chance in the playoffs by investing the return + cap space on the blueline... instead of waiting until Marleau's contract is up and the Bruins have bounced the Leafs 2x more from the first round
Jan. 28, 2019 at 8:58 p.m.
Big John T
This guy would change his tune if the Leafs picked up Bouwmeester, who has been a healthy scratch this season. Pining for the good old days, maybe they can convince Chelios to come out of retirement.

Bouwmeester had a huge dropoff this season. I hadn't seen the Blues play yet, big whoop-dee-doo if you never knew Bouwmeester was an excellent top pairing defensive/puck moving RHD until then.
And it was never a single option with me, but with you it was always a hard sell about fringe guys from the Canadiens.
Jan. 28, 2019 at 10:29 p.m.
Banned
Bouwmeester had a huge dropoff this season. I hadn't seen the Blues play yet, big whoop-dee-doo if you never knew Bouwmeester was an excellent top pairing defensive/puck moving RHD until then.
And it was never a single option with me, but with you it was always a hard sell about fringe guys from the Canadiens.

What are you even talking about?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll