Don't be mean to me
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$7,800,000
Trades
NJD
    Nylander
    TOR
    1. Johansson, Marcus ($2,250,000 retained)
    2. Severson, Damon
    3. Studenic, Marian
    4. 2020 2nd round pick (NJD)
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    Recapture Fees
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$79,500,000$56,611,668$0$7,235,000$22,888,332

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the New Jersey Devils
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    C
    UFA - 2
    $7,800,000$7,800,000
    RW
    UFA - 6
    $749,167$749,167 (Performance Bonus$92,500$92K)
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,325,000$2,325,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $1,800,000$1,800,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    $2,875,000$2,875,000
    C
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
    C
    RFA - 3
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LW
    UFA - 4
    $757,500$757,500 (Performance Bonus$92,500$92K)
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $2,550,000$2,550,000
    LW, C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    NTC
    UFA - 2
    $1,416,667$1,416,667
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    G
    NTC
    UFA - 4
    $850,000$850,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $2,437,500$2,437,500
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $2,666,667$2,666,667
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    LD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $810,000$810,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    RW
    RFA - 2
    $1,725,000$1,725,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Nov. 30, 2018 at 12:15 p.m.
    #LeafsFever
    If you want a shot at William Nylander, and I am not sure how much the Devils are actually in on this, it will cost Damon Severson, Michael McLeod and your top-10 protected 1st round draft pick in 2019.
    Nov. 30, 2018 at 12:18 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Seem too little to offer the Leafs especially if you think Nylander is 7.8m player (which he isn't)
    Nov. 30, 2018 at 12:21 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    As a Caps fan, I have seen what Johansson can do on a really good 2nd line. On the Leafs, he just about replaces Nylander. Severson fills a bigger need for the Leafs. Then you're throwing in some stuff, too, which is nice. The only possible hangup I see here is Nylander's asking price, which I don't know.
    ScottRoth and Smitty426 liked this.
    Nov. 30, 2018 at 12:37 p.m.
    dudedude336
    Quoting: MG1986
    If you want a shot at William Nylander, and I am not sure how much the Devils are actually in on this, it will cost Damon Severson, Michael McLeod and your top-10 protected 1st round draft pick in 2019.

My god hes not hockey Jesus lol no one is going to part the trade piece seas to obtain his rights. Leafs have next to no leverage in this.
    Nov. 30, 2018 at 12:41 p.m.
    #LeafsFever
    Quoting: dudedude336
    My god hes not hockey Jesus lol no one is going to part the trade piece seas to obtain his rights. Leafs have next to no leverage in this.

Leafs have all the leverage. They are winning without him and there are already teams desperate for a bounce-back December. Devils, Flyers are in a similar boat with that. I would say that offer is extremely fair for what you'd be getting. This isn't going go to be low-ball dealing. If you want an elite player, you're going to have to give up significant pieces.
    Eli liked this.
    Nov. 30, 2018 at 12:45 p.m.

No it wont!
    Severson, McLeod and a piece yes, but not a top 10 protected! Dubas can ask for it, but he won't get it. Nor should he. Where the Devs are currently, that's a top 5 pick, no way Shero does that. If the rumor was correct it was a top 4 D (Sevs), top 6 F (Zacha). When you all scream Zacha is not a top 6, add a small piece. If you argue McCleod is getting his first game on the big team tonight, add a small piece. In both cases its not a top 10 protected 2019 pick.
    He may sign with the Leafs but its come down to the final day and $330K is the stumbling block! Not a lovefest for sure

Bob McKenzie said the trade market for Nylander’s been shrinking because of the high cap hit for this season if he signs before the deadline.
    “So if Nylander gets a contract in the high-sixes from the Leafs with an AAV (average annual value) of $6.8 or $6.9 million.
    The first-year cap hit is going to be up around $9.5 million. The Leafs love that because a high cap hit doesn’t hurt them and then you get lower cap hits in the remaining years.
    For teams like the Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks and Minnesota Wild that have interest in Nylander, they can’t afford a $9.5 million cap hit this year.”

This limits the number of teams with that kind of cash on hand. Jersey, Carolina, Rangers, Avs, Mtl, NYIs, Philly.
    They are in win now mode right now!

If they plan on signing him, they will most probably have to move a good piece and a contract to make room for the big contract signings of AM, MM, WN next year.
    Nov. 30, 2018 at 12:49 p.m.
    #LeafsFever
    Quoting: Smitty426
    No it wont!
    Severson, McLeod and a piece yes, but not a top 10 protected! Dubas can ask for it, but he won't get it. Nor should he. Where the Devs are currently, that's a top 5 pick, no way Shero does that. If the rumor was correct it was a top 4 D (Sevs), top 6 F (Zacha). When you all scream Zacha is not a top 6, add a small piece. If you argue McCleod is getting his first game on the big team tonight, add a small piece. In both cases its not a top 10 protected 2019 pick.
    He may sign with the Leafs but its come down to the final day and $330K is the stumbling block! Not a lovefest for sure

Bob McKenzie said the trade market for Nylander’s been shrinking because of the high cap hit for this season if he signs before the deadline.
    “So if Nylander gets a contract in the high-sixes from the Leafs with an AAV (average annual value) of $6.8 or $6.9 million.
    The first-year cap hit is going to be up around $9.5 million. The Leafs love that because a high cap hit doesn’t hurt them and then you get lower cap hits in the remaining years.
    For teams like the Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks and Minnesota Wild that have interest in Nylander, they can’t afford a $9.5 million cap hit this year.”

This limits the number of teams with that kind of cash on hand. Jersey, Carolina, Rangers, Avs, Mtl, NYIs, Philly.
    They are in win now mode right now!

If they plan on signing him, they will most probably have to move a good piece and a contract to make room for the big contract signings of AM, MM, WN next year.

Are we understanding each other when I say top-10 protected pick. It means that the 1st rounder is conditional, that if the Devils end up in the top-10 of drafting, the pick would be unprotected for 2020. You are right about that counter-argument about Zacha, he is not a top-6, may not even be a top-9. Severson, McLeod and a 2019 protected 1st does it. Fine, we'll give you Gauthier as well :P hahah
    Eli liked this.
    Nov. 30, 2018 at 12:56 p.m.
    dudedude336
    Leafs have all the leverage. They are winning without him and there are already teams desperate for a bounce-back December. Devils, Flyers are in a similar boat with that. I would say that offer is extremely fair for what you'd be getting. This isn't going go to be low-ball dealing. If you want an elite player, you're going to have to give up significant pieces.

Okay let me throw a scenario at you.

Leafs don't sign, don't trade, he sits, leafs get nothing in a year where they aren't winning anything in the postseason with that defense. Then they have 3 to sign next year and you best believe AZ will offer sheet the bajesus out of Matthews.

Everyone knows Dubas NEEDS to trade him, pretty obvious they cant afford him. That's not leverage.
    corsiagainst liked this.
    Nov. 30, 2018 at 12:57 p.m.
    #LeafsFever

Leafs don't sign, don't trade, he sits, leafs get nothing in a year where they aren't winning anything in the postseason with that defense. Then they have 3 to sign next year and you best believe AZ will offer sheet the bajesus out of Matthews.

Everyone knows Dubas NEEDS to trade him, pretty obvious they cant afford him. That's not leverage.

One way or another, I fully believe the Leafs will trade Nylander, if not in the next 2 days, by the 2019 draft. So there will be plenty of room to counter that bajesus offer, but I expect Matthews will be signed to a new pretty immediately after the season is none. None of this BS negotiation.
    Eli liked this.
    Nov. 30, 2018 at 1:31 p.m.

This makes so much sense. I don't understand how leaf fans think they have all the leverage. Each day closer to the deadline they loose leverage, especially with potential offer sheets for Matthews and Marner in the next year. The Leafs obviously have their eyes on Lord Stanley for this year and having Nylander would be a huge help, or recouping some assets for him to help the Defense would also help. What doesn't help them this year is not being able to sign or trade Nyldaner (which would be poor asset management on Dubas' part).
    Nov. 30, 2018 at 1:55 p.m.
    Who adds what?

The Leafs can drag this on for up to four years and then still trade Nylander for a late 1st or whatever he's worth after three seasons abroad. He's worth more today, coming off of two 61 point NHL seasons as a 22 year old, than he will be next summer if he doesn't play this year, so Nylander has some leverage in his salary negotiations.

If he signs a team-unfriendly contract, then Toronto will play him this year and trade either him or Marner next summer so it has room to keep some defensemen. In spite of what a lot of fans post on here, Marner and Nylander are each very good, and Toronto should be pretty happy with whichever of them decides to stick around, but it can get something decent back for whichever doesn't. I think Marcus Johansson and Damon Seversson are young guys with high ceilings who have had some recent struggles. If Toronto can get both, plus some more stuff, for Nylander, that seems fair to me.

Johansson peaked two years ago with 24 goals and 58 points. Nylander can get three more points a year, but Johansson can get three more goals. There's a huge age difference of six years, but Damon Severson on the Leafs' power play gives them a right shot defenseman who can really play the puck, so he'll get some significant points, in that role.

The down side of this trade for Toronto is that Johansson is only signed for one more year, but they can fix that, and given the bad numbers he's put up in New Jersey, he won't need a raise, and the team can pick the term.

Leafs trolls like to say that no deal is fair, but this is a really good one for Toronto. It doesn't help New Jersey this year, but as Nylander keeps improving, I do think they win it, long term.... but that's after Toronto signs M&M, so it's immaterial.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll