SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Edmonton Oilers signed Mikko Koskinen (3 Years / $4,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 22, 2019 at 3:59 a.m.
Elias Pettersson and the Canucks love this three year deal! Chiarelli is the proverbial drowning man and every other team and player's agent are throwing him lead weights.
kafle22 liked this.
Jan. 22, 2019 at 3:02 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
I hope this gets more no’s than Tom Wilson
Jan. 22, 2019 at 4:37 p.m.
It's an overpayment by 1.5M
Jan. 22, 2019 at 5:21 p.m.
Quoting: Hedman77
This week, on Days of our Oilers..

Like sands through the hour glass......
kafle22 liked this.
Jan. 22, 2019 at 9:57 p.m.
2 years at 3.25 mil/year

That's what a good contract would look like, but also closer to the end of the year when he's proven he can be consistently good for a season. The contract he has isn't that, but it also isn't too big of an overpay, which is saying something for this GM and this franchise. The biggest issue is the timing. The team has been so up and down lately, and the downs are really low. Basically sealing in your starter going forward, with the team barely holding a .500 record together... doesn't seem like a sound move. But let's face it, Chia is definitely close to being fired, so a few drastic and risky moves are almost expected. All that said, I voted Yes because I'm a hopeless Oilers fan and maybe this is a great contract for what is basically Rinne.
Jan. 23, 2019 at 6:40 a.m.
Quoting: HockeyWise
SOMEONE STOP THE MAN ! I'm not even an Oilers fan but I can feel the pain. So sorry guys...

edit : it has a no-trade clause I'M DEAD HAHAHAHAHHAH

I can't even remember the last time a Goalie his age (30) was traded w/ a cap hit over $4M. It almost never happens. Clearly Chiarelli loves unmovable overpaid veteran players on long term contracts).
Jan. 23, 2019 at 6:42 a.m.
Quoting: oilersfan089
2 years at 3.25 mil/year

That's what a good contract would look like, but also closer to the end of the year when he's proven he can be consistently good for a season. The contract he has isn't that, but it also isn't too big of an overpay, which is saying something for this GM and this franchise. The biggest issue is the timing. The team has been so up and down lately, and the downs are really low. Basically sealing in your starter going forward, with the team barely holding a .500 record together... doesn't seem like a sound move. But let's face it, Chia is definitely close to being fired, so a few drastic and risky moves are almost expected. All that said, I voted Yes because I'm a hopeless Oilers fan and maybe this is a great contract for what is basically Rinne.

Clearly Talbot has no future in EDM after this season.
Jan. 23, 2019 at 9:46 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: rebecca
The difference between the two is, of course, the track record of experience in the KHL in the previous 5 seasons (and 2 years in Liiga prior to that).

13/14 (KHL) - 41g | 1.70 | .939
14/15 (KHL) - 50g | 2.10 | .923
15/16 (KHL) - 41g | 2.42 | .915 | (WC’s) - 8g | 1.13 | .947
16/17 (KHL) - 23g | 2.08 | .916
17/18 (KHL) - 29g | 1.57 | .937 | (OG’s) - 5g | 1.62 | .932

Recent Awards:
KHL Most Valuable Goalie (15)
KHL Goalie of the Month (2x)
KHL Goalie of the Week (7x)
Gagarin Cup Champion (15 & 17)
Gagarin Cup Playoffs Best Sv% (16)
Gagarin Cup Playoffs Best GAA (17)
World Championship Silver Medal (14 & 16)
World Championship Best Goalie (16)
World Championship All-Star Team (16)
World Championship Top 3 on Team (16)

Koskinen has shown that he can excel in the 2nd best League in the World and has held his own through his first 25+ NHL game’s on return to NA. If it were someone without that extensive track record then it would be an absurd deal, but in such a context it makes a bit more sense. Compare to the 3y deal for Kovalchuk - at least with Koskinen there is 4+ months of recent NA work to support such a signing, so I would say it is lower risk than the Kings’ signing. He has shown that he can be an average goalie (and he is being paid “average”, to even a bit below). With his experience and track record there’s the possibility for more.

It’s not as bad a signing as it initially appears.

It is an awful signing. The KHL may be the 2nd best league in the world but it it miles below the NHL. You don't pay a goalie $4.5 mil per year on 27 games. EDM probably could have got Varlamov for that price in the offseason.
rebecca liked this.
Jan. 23, 2019 at 12:01 p.m.
OnlyLeafs
Chia's last move could not have been better. This is the knee-jerk garbage we have come to expect from the bald-headed franchise assassin
Jan. 23, 2019 at 5:31 p.m.
Quoting: DirtyDangles
It is an awful signing. The KHL may be the 2nd best league in the world but it it miles below the NHL. You don't pay a goalie $4.5 mil per year on 27 games. EDM probably could have got Varlamov for that price in the offseason.

Goalies are a bit different when comparing quality of the two leagues. Everybody knows goalies tend to develop slower and some only reach top level in their late 20s - early 30s. Some spend time playing for all sorts of teams in different leagues around the world, but the important thing is that they keep on playing and keep their confidence levels up. Put a confident goalie who is above average in net on a good team and I could really care less where he played last year.
Jan. 23, 2019 at 5:32 p.m.
Quoting: OnlyLeafs
Chia's last move could not have been better. This is the knee-jerk garbage we have come to expect from the bald-headed franchise assassin

I doubt it's his last move. He'll finish off the season most likely, and most likely be fired after another post season miss. (EDIT: Oh ****, he actually was fired today! My bad)
OnlyLeafs liked this.
Jan. 23, 2019 at 6:57 p.m.
Simpleton
Chia is gone.

I do agree with the salary and term proposed by oilersfan089.
Jan. 24, 2019 at 9:13 a.m.
Banned
Goalies are a bit different when comparing quality of the two leagues. Everybody knows goalies tend to develop slower and some only reach top level in their late 20s - early 30s. Some spend time playing for all sorts of teams in different leagues around the world, but the important thing is that they keep on playing and keep their confidence levels up. Put a confident goalie who is above average in net on a good team and I could really care less where he played last year.

So you think playing against inferior offenses means nothing? You could have got a much more proven goalie for cheaper in the offseason that signing this guy to more than he should get on a team who is already in cap trouble.
Jan. 24, 2019 at 4:02 p.m.
Why did EDM ownership allow this deal if they were gonna fire Chiarelli the next day? Or was this contract the last straw? So many unanswered questions.
Jan. 24, 2019 at 4:09 p.m.

The point is, why pay him $4.5M when he'd probably sign for $3M. Why didn't Chiarelli ever bother to negotiate? Did he even know that there's a Salary Cap? Shame on EDM ownership for signing off on these irresponsible contracts. They've basically assured us that EDM will suck for at least the next couple seasons while they rebuild through the draft. If they'd stuck to that plan from the start of McDavid's career they'd already be a playoff team and they'd have cap space.
Jan. 24, 2019 at 4:37 p.m.
You could have got a much more proven goalie for cheaper in the offseason....

I doubt it. Maybe for a similar price though. Like I said before, a 2 year deal at around 3 mil aav would have been better, and also wait until closer to the end of the season. Playing against inferior offenses? It's all relative to the competition, especially for goalies. Worse team in front of him, worse players attacking...it evens out and the goalies still see good chances that require good goaltending. You could argue the KHL team he played on was stacked as well, so he probably already was playing with an advantage compared to other KHL goalies, but I'm not going to make such a claim with the limited data on KHL stats. He's clearly a capable goalie by what he's shown so far though. 4+mil per year for 3 is steep though, definitely an overpay at this point, but not surprising considering it's Edmonton and that's very typical.

I'm generally curious though as to who you think would be available at that price range that is "much more proven".
Jan. 24, 2019 at 4:47 p.m.
Banned
I doubt it. Maybe for a similar price though. Like I said before, a 2 year deal at around 3 mil aav would have been better, and also wait until closer to the end of the season. Playing against inferior offenses? It's all relative to the competition, especially for goalies. Worse team in front of him, worse players attacking...it evens out and the goalies still see good chances that require good goaltending. You could argue the KHL team he played on was stacked as well, so he probably already was playing with an advantage compared to other KHL goalies, but I'm not going to make such a claim with the limited data on KHL stats. He's clearly a capable goalie by what he's shown so far though. 4+mil per year for 3 is steep though, definitely an overpay at this point, but not surprising considering it's Edmonton and that's very typical.

I'm generally curious though as to who you think would be available at that price range that is "much more proven".

I would take Lehner in a heartbeat at that price. He may get more on the open market but then again there are not that many teams looking for starting goalies. Varlamov should be around there unless someone wants to overpay. I would even go as far to say I would take Howard over Koskinen
Jul. 14, 2020 at 7:38 p.m.
Kafle
Quoting: Brian2016
Why did EDM ownership allow this deal if they were gonna fire Chiarelli the next day? Or was this contract the last straw? So many unanswered questions.

Because bob nicholson has no clue on how hockey actually works
Brian2016 liked this.
Jul. 16, 2020 at 12:05 p.m.
goalies are voodo. So who knows

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit