Forums/Armchair-GM

Maybe Marleau is moveable

Created by: GFD1996
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 2, 2019
Published: Apr. 4, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Polak addition is mostly for locker room chemistry and to fill out the roster - didn't want to have Duszak up and not playing - he should be developing in the minors
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,500,000
6$10,600,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$950,000
1$1,750,000
1$975,000
2$975,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2019 7th round pick (NJD)
TOR
  1. Hossa, Marián
Additional Details:
Arizona as a small market club are paying Hossa to basically not play at all - Marleau has 1 year at 6.25M and Hossa has 2 years at 5.275M. Arizona saves around 4M over a 2 year span, gain a draft pick and promising prospect and the Leafs clear up much needed cap room to sign other players. In addition, Marleau seems to be done and he can retire and waive his NMC and still get paid
ARI
TOR
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (EDM)
TOR
  1. Pesce, Brett
  2. Staal, Jordan ($1,500,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Retaining on Staal deal to match Kadri contract
TOR
    Future Considerations
    PHI
    1. Moore, Trevor
    2. Santini, Steven
    3. 2019 4th round pick (STL)
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$83,000,000$81,966,643$0$152,500$1,033,357

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $10,600,000$10,600,000
    RW
    UFA - 6
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 5
    $11,634,000$11,634,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $775,000$775,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $675,000$675,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $950,000$950,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $975,000$975,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 4
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $4,025,000$4,025,000
    RD
    UFA - 5
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
    $2,345,000$2,345,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
    $5,275,000$5,275,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $975,000$975,000
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 2:52 p.m.
    RETIRED
    Id prefer if TOR targeted Hamilton over Pesce.
    Lilgren + Johnsson + something <> Hamilton?
    GFD1996 liked this.
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 2:53 p.m.
    Sports and Tacos
    Marleau is moveable if he wants to be move. Which I don't think he does.
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 2:54 p.m.
    Gio's Leafs
    Quoting: ThatGuy
    Marleau is moveable if he wants to be move. Which I don't think he does.

Marleau is pretty much done and the Leafs are pretty good with getting guys to go away (Robidas Island). If they agreed with him that he was not going to be in the plans next season I'm sure he would waive immediately and retire while still getting paid
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 2:56 p.m.
    Gio's Leafs
    Quoting: McRanteskog
    Id prefer if TOR targeted Hamilton over Pesce.
    Lilgren + Johnsson + something <> Hamilton?

I personally like the cost certainty on Pesce and and he's better defensivley than Hamilton. Wouldn't mind either though... I think the either way CAR wants Johnsson/Kapanen to be involved for either player
    McRanteskog and dzad96 liked this.
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 2:59 p.m.
    Sports and Tacos
    Quoting: GFD1996
    Marleau is pretty much done and the Leafs are pretty good with getting guys to go away (Robidas Island). If they agreed with him that he was not going to be in the plans next season I'm sure he would waive immediately and retire while still getting paid

Pretty sure Marleau wants a Cup before he retires. I don't think he wants to just mail it in. You can't give a potential Hall of Famer the Jared Cowen Treatment.
    dzad96 liked this.
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 3:00 p.m.
    RETIRED
    I personally like the cost certainty on Pesce and and he's better defensivley than Hamilton. Wouldn't mind either though... I think the either way CAR wants Johnsson/Kapanen to be involved for either player

You make a valid point on the cost certainty of Pesce (to be honest i forgot his cap hit was 4mil!! what a steal!)
    GFD1996 and dzad96 liked this.
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 3:01 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Only way Marleau gets traded is if he retires, and then it's a cap move only. But what is with the trading of Hossa's contract? If he stays on LTIR, it kinda meaningless.
    dzad96 liked this.
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 3:02 p.m.
    Gio's Leafs
    Pretty sure Marleau wants a Cup before he retires. I don't think he wants to just mail it in. You can't give a potential Hall of Famer the Jared Cowen Treatment.

I respect Marleau but at the end of the day if you can't keep up and play than sorry, its a results based business. I think from his perspective too, he wouldn't want to be around knowing he was an anchor on the ice and on the cap. Even if he did stay and the Leafs made a run at the cup I don't think he has much left in the tank to keep up ...
    dzad96 liked this.
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 3:05 p.m.
    Sports and Tacos
    I respect Marleau but at the end of the day if you can't keep up and play than sorry, its a results based business. I think from his perspective too, he wouldn't want to be around knowing he was an anchor on the ice and on the cap. Even if he did stay and the Leafs made a run at the cup I don't think he has much left in the tank to keep up ...

If you force Marleau to retire, what does that say to other Free Agents looking to sign in the Off season?
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 3:05 p.m.
    Gio's Leafs
    Quoting: palhal
    Only way Marleau gets traded is if he retires, and then it's a cap move only. But what is with the trading of Hossa's contract? If he stays on LTIR, it kinda meaningless.

ARI is a much smaller club who doesn't have the financial capacity of TOR. Even though it doesn't affect their cap, paying out money is much more difficult for small teams... that's why they insiders and media members always talk about why owners of smaller markets (Carolina, Arizona, Ottawa, etc) don't spend to the cap - Toronto can handle paying out Hossa for 2 years much easier than ARI
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 3:07 p.m.
    It's tough too because Marleau is a great guy in the room and the rest of the team loves him. Would be nice if he could still be around in someway without costing so much on the cap. Either as a consultant, coach, or still a player if they could somehow get his cap hit down by trading him then retiring and signing for one mil or whatever. But that's cap circumvention. somehow give marleau the orpik treatment would be nice. Not likely possible tho.
    GFD1996 and blowing_the_zone liked this.
    Gio's Leafs
    If you force Marleau to retire, what does that say to other Free Agents looking to sign in the Off season?

Its not really "forcing" him this scenario only works out if he agrees to it of course. But its obvious to everybody and I'm sure to himself, that he's really dropping off and he wouldn't benefit staying on the team
    dzad96 liked this.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer

Don't know why you think the Leafs mistreated Cowan. They told him very early they were going to release him and said he was free to make a deal with any team. Cowan later said he was "unfit" and the league decided. Certainly the Leafs didn't mistreat him.
    Marleau certainly wants a Cup. Marleau has the choice if he wants to continue playing or retire. How is the Leafs mistreating him?
    dzad96 liked this.
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 3:08 p.m.
    Gio's Leafs
    Quoting: dzad96
    It's tough too because Marleau is a great guy in the room and the rest of the team loves him. Would be nice if he could still be around in someway without costing so much on the cap. Either as a consultant, coach, or still a player if they could somehow get his cap hit down by trading him then retiring and signing for one mil or whatever. But that's cap circumvention. somehow give marleau the orpik treatment would be nice. Not likely possible tho.

I'm 100% on board for after his contract expires next summer he joined as a consultant or assistant coach or whatever - but for now a Clarkson type deal may be beneficial IF he's on board with it
    dzad96 liked this.
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 3:12 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer

You can't force Marleau to retire. But you can leave him off the 23 man roster and then the Leafs would still be responsible for 6.5m cap hit. So if Marleau doesn't retire, the Leafs would be better off cap wise if was on the 23 man roster and playing well enough to 4th/5th line forward. Cap wise I'm sure the Leafs wish Marleau retires so his cap can traded. It's pretty simple really, but so many think the Leafs have a conspiracy against Marleau.
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 3:12 p.m.
    Sports and Tacos
    Its not really "forcing" him this scenario only works out if he agrees to it of course. But its obvious to everybody and I'm sure to himself, that he's really dropping off and he wouldn't benefit staying on the team

Yeah, he's fallen off like most players do at that age. He's not the first players to not be worth the money he's making on the back end of his deal. Do you think Backes is going to retire from Boston to "help them out"? Not a chance.

The facts are that he loves playing the game, he's like a father to all the kids in the TML room, and this is his best opportunity to him a cup and create a legacy for his career.
    dzad96 liked this.
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 3:14 p.m.
    Sports and Tacos
    Don't know why you think the Leafs mistreated Cowan. They told him very early they were going to release him and said he was free to make a deal with any team. Cowan later said he was "unfit" and the league decided. Certainly the Leafs didn't mistreat him.
    Marleau certainly wants a Cup. Marleau has the choice if he wants to continue playing or retire. How is the Leafs mistreating him?

Did I say the leafs mistreated him? I'm confused
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 3:17 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    ARI is a much smaller club who doesn't have the financial capacity of TOR. Even though it doesn't affect their cap, paying out money is much more difficult for small teams... that's why they insiders and media members always talk about why owners of smaller markets (Carolina, Arizona, Ottawa, etc) don't spend to the cap - Toronto can handle paying out Hossa for 2 years much easier than ARI

Tell me, how much money is Arizona (the actual team) is paying Hossa. If he's on LTIR the insurance company is paying all or most of Hossa remaining money, which actually is very small due to the front loaded nature of the contract. And certainly the Leaf don't want Hossa contract. There is the danger that he is deemed "fit", and the team that owns the contract is responsible for the 5.25m cap hit. That's the reason the Hawks traded him. Arizona can afford the unpaid cap hit, cap wise, but the Hawks probably can't.
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 3:20 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Did I say the leafs mistreated him? I'm confused

You wrote " You can't give a potential Hall of Famer the Jared Cowen Treatment." Now I'm confused.
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 3:22 p.m.
    Bcarlo25
    Arizona isn't paying Hossa. They would have to pay Marleau. And Marleau has a full NMC...sooooooo no.
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 3:30 p.m.
    Sports and Tacos
    You wrote " You can't give a potential Hall of Famer the Jared Cowen Treatment." Now I'm confused.

Yeah? They didn't want him, so they got rid of him.
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 3:35 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    Yeah? They didn't want him, so they got rid of him.

There big difference between Cowan (and most players) and a player who is has NMC and on plus 35 contract. Really has nothing to with Marleau's HOF status. Next year Marleau is still good enough to be on NHL roster, but Leafs are definitely crossing their fingers that he does retire so his cap hit can be traded. IMO the Leaf wouldn't have made the Muzzin trade unless they knew Marleau was retiring.
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 3:36 p.m.
    Gio's Leafs
    Yeah, he's fallen off like most players do at that age. He's not the first players to not be worth the money he's making on the back end of his deal. Do you think Backes is going to retire from Boston to "help them out"? Not a chance.

The facts are that he loves playing the game, he's like a father to all the kids in the TML room, and this is his best opportunity to him a cup and create a legacy for his career.

It's not really a scenario designed to help just the Leafs... if he agrees to retire than everyone wins- its all about how Patty feels... I don't see why he would have an issue if he feels like he can't keep up anymore - Plus a BIG part of this will be how the Leafs do this year... if they bow out in the first round how confident is he really gonna be that they will win the cup the year after with him on the team following 3 straight first round exits
    ThatGuy and blowing_the_zone liked this.
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 3:38 p.m.
    Gio's Leafs
    Quoting: Bcarlo25
    Arizona isn't paying Hossa. They would have to pay Marleau. And Marleau has a full NMC...sooooooo no.

who is paying Hossa? CapFriendly has his contract on Arizona's books
    Apr. 4, 2019 at 3:46 p.m.
    Gio's Leafs
    Tell me, how much money is Arizona (the actual team) is paying Hossa. If he's on LTIR the insurance company is paying all or most of Hossa remaining money, which actually is very small due to the front loaded nature of the contract. And certainly the Leaf don't want Hossa contract. There is the danger that he is deemed "fit", and the team that owns the contract is responsible for the 5.25m cap hit. That's the reason the Hawks traded him. Arizona can afford the unpaid cap hit, cap wise, but the Hawks probably can't.

So is Nathan Horton's Insurance company paying the bulk of his contract? Hossa also opened up about his skin condition that is career ending

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll