Forums/Armchair-GM

Two Free Agents and Two Trade Ideas to Consider

Created by: OldNYIfan
Team: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 12, 2019
Published: Apr. 12, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
All the recent 2019 Boston posts I've seen have Acciari at $1M or less, so this offer ought to persuade him. Ditto Agostino (although there is one outlier, but several posts omit him entirely).

In the draft, the new GM might want to choose a prospective replacement for Sekera, in which case at least three of Broberg, Harley, Robertson and York should be available at #12; or he might go for a forward, in which case Caufield and Suzuki, among others, should still be on the board.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
2$1,750,000
2$1,250,000
2$800,000
Trades
EDM
  1. Eriksson Ek, Joel [RFA Rights]
  2. Zucker, Jason
  3. 2019 1st round pick (MIN)
MIN
  1. Bear, Ethan
  2. 2019 1st round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Bean, Jake
  2. 2019 1st round pick (CAR)
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$76,112,498$0$1,230,000$6,387,502
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 7
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 6
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,950,000$1,950,000
RW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,835,000$2,835,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
RW
RFA - 2
$1,150,000$1,150,000
C
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
G
UFA - 2
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$870,000$870,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 12, 2019 at 4:52 p.m.
How do you justify those free agent caps? Agostino more than Chiasson?? Acciari also?? I know its not big deal but considering how money EDM has left to play with it could make a big difference.

Also I feel your overvaluing the Minny trade way too much. It wouldn't cost that much to move up from 12th to 8th.
Apr. 12, 2019 at 5:03 p.m.
Banned
Yikes. Klefbom might not be the best d-man in the league, but that d-core looks scary bad without him.
OldNYIfan and bunnymcfoo liked this.
Apr. 12, 2019 at 5:14 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: F50marco
How do you justify those free agent caps? Agostino more than Chiasson?? Acciari also?? I know its not big deal but considering how money EDM has left to play with it could make a big difference.

Also I feel your overvaluing the Minny trade way too much. It wouldn't cost that much to move up from 12th to 8th.

OMG! Now that you've opined that Edmonton might have to pay Chiasson $1.5M or even $1.75M, I won't be able to sleep tonight. Or do you think he should get Pasta money?

Your view of the Wild trade will be music to the ears of Minnesota guys (especially @TanSor ) who have floated the Zucker-plus-number-12 idea and been rejected by Oilers commenters.
TanSor liked this.
Apr. 12, 2019 at 5:35 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: jonesryan
Yikes. Klefbom might not be the best d-man in the league, but that d-core looks scary bad without him.

With or without Klefbom, that defense is weak, and you can't trade them all away. In that context, and assuming the Zucker acquisition, I still think that there's merit to Nugent-Hopkins for Pesce and then getting other assets for Klefbom.
TanSor liked this.
Apr. 12, 2019 at 6:04 p.m.
Edmonton has no reason to make that Klefbom trade. Bean is putting up about the same points pace in the AHL as Bear and Jones are, and the Oilers have two even better prospects coming out of junior this year in Bouchard and Samorukov. They don't need Bean.

Also, because of the number and quality of defense prospects I see them drafting predominantly forwards this year.

And what did you do with Puljujarvi?
MJ87, OldNYIfan and TanSor liked this.
Apr. 12, 2019 at 7:06 p.m.

People underestimate the value of moving up in a draft. If a team likes a player they will give up the necessary assets. Last year the rangers gave up a second rounder to move up 4 spots in the bottom 1st round(26th to 22nd I believe). Obviously the closer you get to the top the higher the price.
Apr. 12, 2019 at 7:30 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: CD282
Edmonton has no reason to make that Klefbom trade. Bean is putting up about the same points pace in the AHL as Bear and Jones are, and the Oilers have two even better prospects coming out of junior this year in Bouchard and Samorukov. They don't need Bean.

Also, because of the number and quality of defense prospects I see them drafting predominantly forwards this year.

And what did you do with Puljujarvi?

The Klefbom trade is effectively "forced" (for cap reasons) by the Zucker acquisition.

I think Puljujarvi might start realizing his potential if he played alongside a fellow countryman (Barkov, Aho, Koivu, etc.), so I was trying to work him into the first trade and couldn't to my satisfaction, and then just forgot about him. Other than Nail Yakupov, who I understand was a real jerk, I don't like to see the label "bust" put on anyone.
TanSor, CD282 and bunnymcfoo liked this.
Apr. 12, 2019 at 10:41 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
OMG! Now that you've opined that Edmonton might have to pay Chiasson $1.5M or even $1.75M, I won't be able to sleep tonight. Or do you think he should get Pasta money?

Your view of the Wild trade will be music to the ears of Minnesota guys (especially @TanSor ) who have floated the Zucker-plus-number-12 idea and been rejected by Oilers commenters.

Well Im not wrong am I? Chiasson is a 20 goal scorer. Won a Stanley cup just last year. Making less than Agostino whose an AHL journeyman and Acciari whose a pretty average 4th liner. I even mentioned that I understand that it isn't a big deal, just considering EDM has 1.3M left in cap, it may end up realistically being almost zero if a guy like Chiasson gets what he should be getting. Probably around 2M. Look at other guys getting 2M+. Martinook, Reider, Janmark, Vesey.

As for the Zucker trade, both Zucker and EK together just to move up 4 spots? I mean Bear is decent but he's the least valuable piece in this deal.... If you really want to move up, by all means. I just don't think the difference between 12 and 8th is going to be worth what they're losing. There are pretty darn good players at 12th and Zucker is easily worth minimum a late 1st at the TDL. Throw on top of that EK, a former 1st round pick who with Staal and Koivu getting up their in age could start getting some more top 6 minutes at center.
Apr. 12, 2019 at 11:58 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Well Im not wrong am I? Chiasson is a 20 goal scorer. Won a Stanley cup just last year. Making less than Agostino whose an AHL journeyman and Acciari whose a pretty average 4th liner. I even mentioned that I understand that it isn't a big deal, just considering EDM has 1.3M left in cap, it may end up realistically being almost zero if a guy like Chiasson gets what he should be getting. Probably around 2M. Look at other guys getting 2M+. Martinook, Reider, Janmark, Vesey.

As for the Zucker trade, both Zucker and EK together just to move up 4 spots? I mean Bear is decent but he's the least valuable piece in this deal.... If you really want to move up, by all means. I just don't think the difference between 12 and 8th is going to be worth what they're losing. There are pretty darn good players at 12th and Zucker is easily worth minimum a late 1st at the TDL. Throw on top of that EK, a former 1st round pick who with Staal and Koivu getting up their in age could start getting some more top 6 minutes at center.

My reason(s) for paying Chiasson only twice what he's getting this year is his history: (1) this is his 5th team in 7 years, (2) he won a Stanley Cup and his team wouldn't even offer him a contract at the League minimum, which he had to take, and (3) no one but Edmonton seems to have been interested in him. There's something about him that you and I just don't know. For the record, last summer I had him signing as a free agent on several of my posted teams at $1.5M or $2M.

As to the Minnesota trade, my esteemed colleague @TanSor posted a couple of efforts to move up based solely upon Zucker, and most of the fans of the teams he selected thought Zucker alone was insufficient. To me, removing the two other players is indeed a fair price, as you imply.
TanSor liked this.
Apr. 13, 2019 at 12:39 a.m.
My reason(s) for paying Chiasson only twice what he's getting this year is his history: (1) this is his 5th team in 7 years, (2) he won a Stanley Cup and his team wouldn't even offer him a contract at the League minimum, which he had to take, and (3) no one but Edmonton seems to have been interested in him. There's something about him that you and I just don't know. For the record, last summer I had him signing as a free agent on several of my posted teams at $1.5M or $2M.

As to the Minnesota trade, my esteemed colleague @TanSor posted a couple of efforts to move up based solely upon Zucker, and most of the fans of the teams he selected thought Zucker alone was insufficient. To me, removing the two other players is indeed a fair price, as you imply.

Yes but that was before this year. This season changed a lot for him don't you think? Career highs usually will do that. Earned a 1.2M deal back when he came off a 35 and 26 point season. He was trending downhill ever since thus probably had to take what was given to him. This year showed that he can be effective.

Yeah I feel some of the Minny guys may be sulking on what seems to be a bad season and a GM that is making bad moves left and right. Zucker may not be an all star but he's got value. Minny may have to either eat some cap or take a contract back but I'd think that is less a problem than getting as much value back as possible. Plus Minny fans seem to feel a retool/rebuild in necessary. If that's the case, all the more reason to keep EK. He's too young to give up on. IMO
TanSor and OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 13, 2019 at 11:15 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Yes but that was before this year. This season changed a lot for him don't you think? Career highs usually will do that. Earned a 1.2M deal back when he came off a 35 and 26 point season. He was trending downhill ever since thus probably had to take what was given to him. This year showed that he can be effective.

Yeah I feel some of the Minny guys may be sulking on what seems to be a bad season and a GM that is making bad moves left and right. Zucker may not be an all star but he's got value. Minny may have to either eat some cap or take a contract back but I'd think that is less a problem than getting as much value back as possible. Plus Minny fans seem to feel a retool/rebuild in necessary. If that's the case, all the more reason to keep EK. He's too young to give up on. IMO

I agree with everything you say here. My only comment (and it's not a dissent) is that my figure for Chiasson was based not on my personal evaluation of what he should be paid but on the way he has been paid in the past.
Rocky liked this.
Apr. 13, 2019 at 12:24 p.m.
I agree with everything you say here. My only comment (and it's not a dissent) is that my figure for Chiasson was based not on my personal evaluation of what he should be paid but on the way he has been paid in the past.

Sure I guess. I mean he got what he deserved based on his production. He played better this year. That should get him paid higher. Whatever we're bantering over peanuts. Lol
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 13, 2019 at 1:17 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Sure I guess. I mean he got what he deserved based on his production. He played better this year. That should get him paid higher. Whatever we're bantering over peanuts. Lol

Yeah, but he played better last year than he had the two previous years, and he had to take a pay cut. That's what puzzles me. In any event, you're right, we're talking about peanuts.
F50marco liked this.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 6:41 a.m.
The Klefbom trade is effectively "forced" (for cap reasons) by the Zucker acquisition.

Sure, but no doubt you could get a much better return - say a high end forward prospect. Also, if you badly need the $3.3M you get from trading Klefbom, you could always buyout Sekera and NOT degrade your young defense corps.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 11:07 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Sure, but no doubt you could get a much better return - say a high end forward prospect. Also, if you badly need the $3.3M you get from trading Klefbom, you could always buyout Sekera and NOT degrade your young defense corps.

You know, I think that you're absolutely right -- look at the Muzzin acquisition. I should have added one of Carolina's 82 left-handed-shot forward prospects.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 11:34 a.m.
You know, I think that you're absolutely right -- look at the Muzzin acquisition. I should have added one of Carolina's 82 left-handed-shot forward prospects.

Good comp. I think Klefbom could get more than Muzzin though due to age (25 vs 30) and contract (4 years left vs 1.3).

TOR 1st = CAR 1st (likely similar picks if both lose in the 1st round)
Durzi > Bean (NHLe 28 vs 25, RD vs LD)
Grundstrom = ?

Necas, maybe? Necas has a few more points/game in the AHL this year, but Grundstrom has more goals/game. And that's just getting you to Muzzin's value, not to Klefbom's... and of course as I pointed out Edmonton has no interest in Bean anyhow, so you'd have to substitute a forward there. But then - why is CAR trading for a defenseman anyhow? I thought they were stacked?

Anyhow, the MIN trade is the kind of thing a team does when it is trying to Win Now, while the CAR trade indicates Rebuild. It can't be both.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 11:44 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Good comp. I think Klefbom could get more than Muzzin though due to age (25 vs 30) and contract (4 years left vs 1.3).

TOR 1st = CAR 1st (likely similar picks if both lose in the 1st round)
Durzi > Bean (NHLe 28 vs 25, RD vs LD)
Grundstrom = ?

Necas, maybe? Necas has a few more points/game in the AHL this year, but Grundstrom has more goals/game. And that's just getting you to Muzzin's value, not to Klefbom's... and of course as I pointed out Edmonton has no interest in Bean anyhow, so you'd have to substitute a forward there. But then - why is CAR trading for a defenseman anyhow? I thought they were stacked?

Anyhow, the MIN trade is the kind of thing a team does when it is trying to Win Now, while the CAR trade indicates Rebuild. It can't be both.

Carolina has Hamilton, Faulk, Pesce and van Riemsdyk on the right but only Slavin and then de Haan on the left, so I think that they might like Klefbom.

Zucker is signed for four more years, so I think that the Minnesota trade is a good move for Edmonton's future.

Edmonton would have an interest in Bean if they traded Klefbom.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 12:18 p.m.
Carolina has Hamilton, Faulk, Pesce and van Riemsdyk on the right but only Slavin and then de Haan on the left, so I think that they might like Klefbom.

Zucker is signed for four more years, so I think that the Minnesota trade is a good move for Edmonton's future.

Edmonton would have an interest in Bean if they traded Klefbom.

Trading a 25-year-old defenseman on an amazing contract for picks / prospects is not what a team that wants to make the playoffs does though. I don't see them trading Kelfbom at all, nor do they have to in order to free up cap as I showed earlier. And Bean doesn't move the needle any more than Caleb Jones or Dmitri Samorukov do - not an area of need in Edmonton at all.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll