Forums/Armchair-GM

Betterall helps the Leafs and Jackets with cap space

Created by: GMTD
Team: 2019-20 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 14, 2019
Published: Apr. 14, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I combined two trades from this post to make the TML trade https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1116715 I sort of doubt Dubas and Betterall would be trading partners and I think Toronto would want more than a first, but the comments were in general positive when this trade was posted.
I used this post as a model for the Ristolainen trade: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1116680
Bogosian and Sheary will be UFA's at the end of the season. I am giving them as much PP time as I can to inflate their stats so they can be traded at the 2020 TDL. Then Olofsson and Pilut can be brought up to take their place. Thompson as I write this is playing really well in Rochester he may be brought up soon as well. Regardless, I do not see either Sheary or Bogosian with the Sabres next year.
Finally, Granlund, Wennberg and Brown were among the top PK forwards for VAN, COL and TML respectively adding depth to the Sabres PK. No one on the VAN or TML team had more PK time than Tanev or Zaitsev respectively.
Betterall is trading defenseman scoring for defensive defenseman, while picking up 3 defensive minded forwards who can score a few goals occasionally.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$1,800,000
1$1,800,000
1$1,800,000
1$1,800,000
1$1,800,000
1$1,800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
8$8,000,000
Trades
BUF
  1. Brown, Connor
  2. Kadri, Nazem
  3. Zaitsev, Nikita
Additional Details:
The Sabres get 2nd line center, PK RW and a shut down defenseman
TOR
  1. 2019 1st round pick (SJS)
Additional Details:
The Leafs get cap space and a first.
BUF
  1. Wennberg, Alexander
Additional Details:
Buffalo makes this trade to add depth to the center position.
CBJ
  1. Scandella, Marco ($2,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Columbus makes this trade to add a LHD, reduce the cap and move an under-performing player
BUF
  1. Granlund, Markus [RFA Rights]
  2. Tanev, Christopher
  3. 2019 2nd round pick (VAN)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the STL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$78,391,667$0$3,700,000$4,108,333

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 7
$3,650,000$3,650,000
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$4,900,000$4,900,000
C
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,800,000$1,800,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LD/RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$4,450,000$4,450,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$3,387,500$3,387,500
RD
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$812,500$812,500
RD
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 14, 2019 at 7:33 p.m.
While Bogosian will be treated Tanev will play, in the second half of the season they'll switch places. squinty smile
GMTD and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Apr. 14, 2019 at 7:35 p.m.
And why does Columbus need yet another LHD to go behind Werenski, Murray, Nutivaara, Kukan and the Russian we just signed? Also we probably won’t need the cap space this year with Duchene, Dzingle, Panarin and Bobrovsky not likely to be back.
GMTD liked this.
Apr. 14, 2019 at 7:36 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Easy no from Toronto. Yes the leafs get cap space but nothing besides a late first to show for it.
GMTD liked this.
Apr. 14, 2019 at 8:11 p.m.
Eichel Tower
Thank you all for your comments. All very helpful.

Quoting: Cheesesauce
While Bogosian will be treated Tanev will play, in the second half of the season they'll switch places. squinty smile

A team can never have too many RHD. Yup both Tanev and Bogosian seem to injury prone. What about the value of the trade, is the talent exchange fair?
Quoting: Ajp_18
And why does Columbus need yet another LHD to go behind Werenski, Murray, Nutivaara, Kukan and the Russian we just signed? Also we probably won’t need the cap space this year with Duchene, Dzingle, Panarin and Bobrovsky not likely to be back.

OK, you know your team better than I do. I buggered, I was lazy and only looked at CF for Right Left. I did not see Murray among the LTIR and only Werenski, Kukan and Harrington were listed as LHD. OK, then that trade does not work, my bad. You also know your team, I would have thought clearing $2,900,000 next year and $5,900,000 the next 3 years would help sign at least 2 or 3 of the players you mentioned. I know Murray is injured, I guess he may be ready to come back soon. BTW, about 25 year ago Torts was in the Buffalo system and being groomed to be Muckler's replacement. I always root for the teams he is coaching, he is one of the best. We lost him when Management decided to make a publicity move and keep Ted Nolan and fired Muckler.
Quoting: Jamiepo
Easy no from Toronto. Yes the leafs get cap space but nothing besides a late first to show for it.

I will not disagree with you. I saw a similar trade by a TML fan https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1116715 with feed back that TML would need to add. I thought it was too good to be true as I mentioned in the comments.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Apr. 14, 2019 at 8:20 p.m.
Quoting: GMTD
A team can never have too many RHD. Yup both Tanev and Bogosian seem to injury prone. What about the value of the trade, is the talent exchange fair?.

Yes, RHD never a lot, but to keep a in team Tanev and Bogosian together I don't really want. It is difficult to assess the value of the deals, Risto is still young and its value at the moment I do not understand, also I can not say the cost of Tanev, he again could not play the full season, maybe we could get Tanev without giving Risto, and Risto used in trade to strengthen the top 6.
GMTD liked this.
Apr. 14, 2019 at 8:40 p.m.
rickdabeaut
Leafs do not want to loose 3 roster players for a late 1st which may or may not be in the lineup 2-3 years down the road. Somebody should mushroom slap you for that proposal young lady!
GMTD liked this.
Apr. 14, 2019 at 8:42 p.m.
Eichel Tower
Yes, RHD never a lot, but to keep a in team Tanev and Bogosian together I don't really want. It is difficult to assess the value of the deals, Risto is still young and its value at the moment I do not understand, also I can not say the cost of Tanev, he again could not play the full season, maybe we could get Tanev without giving Risto, and Risto used in trade to strengthen the top 6.

I do not know if you read the description but all of the forwards and defensemen have good possession stats and kill penalties. I wanted to put improve the goals against, show case Bogosian and Sheary, and give the kids a chance to learn the game in Rochester. I know it is a small sample but Thompson has 5 goals in just 7 games. Pilut seems to have completely lost his game since he was brought up to Buffalo. I said it at the beginning of the season, I would have kept Mittelstadt, Thompson and Pilut in Rochester as long as possible, if not the entire season. While Pilut looked really good initially, he lost it after a while. Thompson and Mittelstadt while occasionally making good plays would often look bemused on the ice. While Ullmark looked great at the start of the season, the league learned and exploited his weak points (five hole, wrap around, and low shots). I liked a lot of what I saw about Housley (always calm behind the bench, never berated the players after a game, played right handed skaters on the right and left on the left), I was very disappointed that Ristolainen's defense did not improve while Housley was the coach. I may have over rated the Sabres in these trades but this is a much better defensive team while adding Kadri adds scoring depth (he also wins nearly 55% of his faceoffs). BTW you make really good comments, unlike some of the Sabre faithful.
Apr. 14, 2019 at 8:45 p.m.
Eichel Tower
Quoting: rickdabeaut
Leafs do not want to loose 3 roster players for a late 1st which may or may not be in the lineup 2-3 years down the road. Somebody should mushroom slap you for that proposal young lady!

Thank you for your comment.
I saw the trade posted by a Leaf fan and it seemed to fly reasonably well, so I re-posted it. I have received sufficient feedback to know that the original post was weak (if you read my description, I mentioned I borrowed it and said TML would want more). You can check the URL for the original post. BTW, please do not slap me, I am too pretty to slap! laugh
Apr. 14, 2019 at 8:52 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Thank you all for your comments. All very helpful.

A team can never have too many RHD. Yup both Tanev and Bogosian seem to injury prone. What about the value of the trade, is the talent exchange fair?

OK, you know your team better than I do. I buggered, I was lazy and only looked at CF for Right Left. I did not see Murray among the LTIR and only Werenski, Kukan and Harrington were listed as LHD. OK, then that trade does not work, my bad. You also know your team, I would have thought clearing $2,900,000 next year and $5,900,000 the next 3 years would help sign at least 2 or 3 of the players you mentioned. I know Murray is injured, I guess he may be ready to come back soon. BTW, about 25 year ago Torts was in the Buffalo system and being groomed to be Muckler's replacement. I always root for the teams he is coaching, he is one of the best. We lost him when Management decided to make a publicity move and keep Ted Nolan and fired Muckler.

I will not disagree with you. I saw a similar trade by a TML fan https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1116715 with feed back that TML would need to add. I thought it was too good to be true as I mentioned in the comments.

It was after Kadri laid that stupid hit which he will be suspended for on Monday. Just fans venting.

If it weren’t for Buffalo being in the same division the two teams could be trade partners.

As much as everyone likes to hate on zaitsev he would actually pair up with dahlin very well. Much better than Risto or montour IMO.
GMTD and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Apr. 14, 2019 at 9:42 p.m.
I do not know if you read the description but all of the forwards and defensemen have good possession stats and kill penalties. I wanted to put improve the goals against, show case Bogosian and Sheary, and give the kids a chance to learn the game in Rochester. I know it is a small sample but Thompson has 5 goals in just 7 games. Pilut seems to have completely lost his game since he was brought up to Buffalo. I said it at the beginning of the season, I would have kept Mittelstadt, Thompson and Pilut in Rochester as long as possible, if not the entire season. While Pilut looked really good initially, he lost it after a while. Thompson and Mittelstadt while occasionally making good plays would often look bemused on the ice. While Ullmark looked great at the start of the season, the league learned and exploited his weak points (five hole, wrap around, and low shots). I liked a lot of what I saw about Housley (always calm behind the bench, never berated the players after a game, played right handed skaters on the right and left on the left), I was very disappointed that Ristolainen's defense did not improve while Housley was the coach. I may have over rated the Sabres in these trades but this is a much better defensive team while adding Kadri adds scoring depth (he also wins nearly 55% of his faceoffs). BTW you make really good comments, unlike some of the Sabre faithful.

Yes, I read the description. I don't mind adding Tanev, but I don't really understand why you put him on the third line with McCabe? Tanev can play 20+ minutes and be a good partner for Dahlin, he is a decent defensive defender, Montour, on the contrary, is an offensive defender and does not mix well with Dahlin, IMO. I have a twofold feeling about Housley, maybe he's a good guy, but as the head coach of the NHL team, I don't know, there's a doubt. Bylsma was too hard, Housley on the contrary seems to have been too soft with the players, maybe there needs to be a balance somewhere to pricenot somewhere to praise, but I have questions not only to the Club, the coaching staff overall, the coach of the defense, the goaltenders coach. I now look at the New York islanders and see a great coach with his system, which for a couple of months one of the worst defenses in the League turned into one of the best, there is still our Lehner on fire, happy for him. Your team is not bad, but does it make sense to take two centers? I think Casey is good in the center, I see a huge potential. My opinion next season: Casey - 3C, less difficult minutes, the right partners on the wings of Casey, he's very smart, he needs to add physics, but it's completely doable in one summer. And another opinion about Olofsson, I think this guy is ready for the NHL, he is 23, he has four years of experience playing at a serious level (SHL), he has a great shot, I think he would look good on the wing of Jack or Casey, and I would share Reinhart and Eichel to better balance the lines, Sam played well in the link with ROR, just he needs a good center, Kadri for this fit.
GMTD liked this.
Apr. 14, 2019 at 11:03 p.m.
Eichel Tower
Edited Apr. 15, 2019 at 10:03 a.m.
Yes, I read the description. I don't mind adding Tanev, but I don't really understand why you put him on the third line with McCabe? Tanev can play 20+ minutes and be a good partner for Dahlin, he is a decent defensive defender, Montour, on the contrary, is an offensive defender and does not mix well with Dahlin, IMO. I have a twofold feeling about Housley, maybe he's a good guy, but as the head coach of the NHL team, I don't know, there's a doubt. Bylsma was too hard, Housley on the contrary seems to have been too soft with the players, maybe there needs to be a balance somewhere to pricenot somewhere to praise, but I have questions not only to the Club, the coaching staff overall, the coach of the defense, the goaltenders coach. I now look at the New York islanders and see a great coach with his system, which for a couple of months one of the worst defenses in the League turned into one of the best, there is still our Lehner on fire, happy for him. Your team is not bad, but does it make sense to take two centers? I think Casey is good in the center, I see a huge potential. My opinion next season: Casey - 3C, less difficult minutes, the right partners on the wings of Casey, he's very smart, he needs to add physics, but it's completely doable in one summer. And another opinion about Olofsson, I think this guy is ready for the NHL, he is 23, he has four years of experience playing at a serious level (SHL), he has a great shot, I think he would look good on the wing of Jack or Casey, and I would share Reinhart and Eichel to better balance the lines, Sam played well in the link with ROR, just he needs a good center, Kadri for this fit.

I messed up the defensive pairings, you are correct, Tanev should be with Dahlin. I do not know how Betterall pried Montour out of Anaheim for only a first and Guhle. Once he joined the team he was our best defenseman. BTW, your idea for the defense is much better, Dahlin - Tanev; Zaitsev - Montour; McCabe - Bogosian. My friend that is solid defense. I do not like to play two same handed defensemen but with Montour skating ability and Zaitsev shut down skills it will have to do. I know this would never happen but it is fun to think about. I agree with your assessment of Housley, maybe he was too soft and easy going. As to Lehner, I put all of his problems on DATM. He knew Lehner had demons impacting his performance and still traded for him. He did nothing to address that issue and finally had to be released. Are you aware that Lehner gives Betterall credit for his recovery? Going into rehab, and having Mitch Korn as his GK coach certainly helped as well. I put Casey on the 2nd line to give the team two good lines. I felt the third line of Rodrigues - Wennberg - Brown would be a good shut down line along with Granlund - Larsson - Okposo. Wennberg, Brown and Granlund also add a little scoring than Wilson, Girgensons, Sobotka and Pominville. I agree with your assessment of Olofsson and maybe the Sabres do not need to add the secondary scoring I have in this post. Have you seen Tage Thompson, 5 goals in 7 games in Rochester.
SalamiCheese and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Apr. 14, 2019 at 11:08 p.m.
Eichel Tower
It was after Kadri laid that stupid hit which he will be suspended for on Monday. Just fans venting.

If it weren’t for Buffalo being in the same division the two teams could be trade partners.

As much as everyone likes to hate on zaitsev he would actually pair up with dahlin very well. Much better than Risto or montour IMO.

Yup, over reacting to a player who actually tries to defend a team mate that is such a bad idea. As you point out unlikely that Buffalo would be a trading partner with Toronto. I completely agree about Zaitsev, when I make a post I try to think of a way to get him. Now all of that being said, what do you think would be fair offer for those three players. I really like this team, good first line, Kadri will make Mittelstadt and Sheary score more, but most of all I love the bottom six. They can control the puck, stop the other team from scoring and they can score a few themselves. Make me an offer, as I said in my description, I did not think it was enough, I was borrowing a trade from a different post and listen to the reaction from other Leaf fans.
GenXHockey and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 12:35 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Yup, over reacting to a player who actually tries to defend a team mate that is such a bad idea. As you point out unlikely that Buffalo would be a trading partner with Toronto. I completely agree about Zaitsev, when I make a post I try to think of a way to get him. Now all of that being said, what do you think would be fair offer for those three players. I really like this team, good first line, Kadri will make Mittelstadt and Sheary score more, but most of all I love the bottom six. They can control the puck, stop the other team from scoring and they can score a few themselves. Make me an offer, as I said in my description, I did not think it was enough, I was borrowing a trade from a different post and listen to the reaction from other Leaf fans.

I have a couple ideas.

Toronto Maple Leafs
Kadri
Brown
Zaitsev

Buffalo Sabres
Montour

Or

Buffalo Sabres
Nylander
Nelson
SJS 1st

Personally I think the first trade is better for both teams.
GMTD liked this.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 10:33 a.m.
I have a couple ideas.

Toronto Maple Leafs
Kadri
Brown
Zaitsev

Buffalo Sabres
Montour

Or

Buffalo Sabres
Nylander
Nelson
SJS 1st

Personally I think the first trade is better for both teams.

LOL no, Montour not available. Is the first deal better for Buffalo? In what universe? Montour is very good and I value him above Risto, you overestimate your players. Zaitsev with his contract not getting good offers, Brown will get 4-5 pick possible value is only Kadri, but he's a weirdo
GMTD liked this.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 10:51 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
LOL no, Montour not available. Is the first deal better for Buffalo? In what universe? Montour is very good and I value him above Risto, you overestimate your players. Zaitsev with his contract not getting good offers, Brown will get 4-5 pick possible value is only Kadri, but he's a weirdo

I think Risto needs to be in a second pair role and montour/dahlin could end up bad just like using Risto improperly. Tanev or zaitsev would be a decent partner for dahlin but tanev is always hurt. My idea would be to keep Risto and have him paired with McCabe. What I like about it better than the second option is they keep the first and nylander... which is more than they gave up for montour. To be honest I’m still not convinced that montour would pair well with Reilly.

The value I put on players is Kadri 1st and an A/B prospect, brown 2nd, and zaitsev maybe a 4th or 5th. He has been great all year. You will hear a lot of complaints about his contract but that is why he has no value. If he were making 3.5m he would have some. If it’s Risto that you want to move (which I think might be a mistake) I would swap nylander for Kadri in this deal.

I think Risto has a lot of potential and needs to be properly deployed.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 11:04 a.m.
I think Risto needs to be in a second pair role and montour/dahlin could end up bad just like using Risto improperly. Tanev or zaitsev would be a decent partner for dahlin but tanev is always hurt. My idea would be to keep Risto and have him paired with McCabe. What I like about it better than the second option is they keep the first and nylander... which is more than they gave up for montour. To be honest I’m still not convinced that montour would pair well with Reilly.

The value I put on players is Kadri 1st and an A/B prospect, brown 2nd, and zaitsev maybe a 4th or 5th. He has been great all year. You will hear a lot of complaints about his contract but that is why he has no value. If he were making 3.5m he would have some. If it’s Risto that you want to move (which I think might be a mistake) I would swap nylander for Kadri in this deal.

I'm sure Risto will be traded but not Montour, Dahlin will not to play with Montour, it does not make sense. Yes, Tanev it will be a good partner for Dahlin, but again, it's not clear how many games per season he will be able to play, I like Zaitsev, he certainly has cons, including his contract, but I don't want to trade the Montour, 10/10 at the beginning I will trade Risto, not the Montour, I think Botterill thinks so too.
GMTD liked this.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 11:44 a.m.
Eichel Tower
You both make excellent points, because you both actually follow the game your opinions are not very divergent. While I am sure Toronto would love to have Montour, Cheasesause is 100% correct, IMO he has played better than Ristolainen and was maybe the best Sabre defenseman once he joined the team (he had the most goals, assists and points with the lowest +/- among Dahlin, Ristolainen and Montour) and will not get traded. Jamiepo I will not question your evaluation of the Leaf players, over all just a little higher than I would value them but not enough to get into a food fight. I rearranged the defensive pairings as Cheesesause suggested and while I do not like having 2 RHD paired together, Dahlin - Tanev and Zaitsev - Montour pairs offensive with defensive players.

As a final note Jamiepo, while you would accept Montour for Kadri, Brown and Zaitsev, keep in mind Montour went to Buffalo for Guhle and first. So in a sense, a first and Nelson may be the same value as Montour, but I do not want to get into a spitting contest over this, just an observation.

I'm sure Risto will be traded but not Montour, Dahlin will not to play with Montour, it does not make sense. Yes, Tanev it will be a good partner for Dahlin, but again, it's not clear how many games per season he will be able to play, I like Zaitsev, he certainly has cons, including his contract, but I don't want to trade the Montour, 10/10 at the beginning I will trade Risto, not the Montour, I think Botterill thinks so too.
SalamiCheese and GenXHockey liked this.
Apr. 15, 2019 at 12:01 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Sabres stole montour in my opinion. Leafs cap space also figures in on the trades. So that is completely debatable how hard sabres would negotiate and try to bend us over the barrel too. I like your line up though.

Personally I would leave tanev out and target Gaudette instead. I find him very undervalued in Vancouver based on trades I’ve seen him included in.

Would love to see Buffalo in the playoffs next year, I grew up 10 minutes from the peace bridge and I know how great their fans are.
GMTD liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll