Forums/Armchair-GM

What dubas will do to improve this team

Created by: PuckPal
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 24, 2019
Published: Apr. 24, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
First I cannot believe Babcock threw his players under the bus after last nights game. Yes some players could have found a way to score this series but did he really put them in a position to. Tavares and Marner were no more than a checking line the way he sent them out the whole series and is that their fault...no. I hope babcock realizes that he played right into an inferior teams hands. So no babcock this is about 95% your fault and i hope Dubas/Shanahan hold you and your staff accountable.
So the way i'd correct this is have a long frank conversation with the coaching staff next week and find out what went wrong and fire the coaches that caused this. Yes that could mean babcock but Dubas built a team that had everything they needed to go long in the playoffs or at least beat the bruins and this coaching staff blew it especially on the PK and PP. So i honestly think next week D.J. Smith and Jim Hiller are fired not only cause they didn't make the PP and PK as strong as it could have been but....wait thats all we need don't let the door hit yah.
2nd have a long talk with babcock and explain to him how he should really read the analytic reports they produce so he may realize putting your most skilled players on the ice when you need a goal does give you a better chance to win.
3rd, have a long talk with Marleau on his future with the leafs. I love he leadership and his mentorship ablity but he no longer can out skate the other players and all season he struggled to play at even a 3 line level. If he wasn't a future HOF and babcock not wanting to look stupid for pleading for him for 3 years he would have been probably in the box by game 4. 4th, trade Kadri and Brown i like them both but other players are either better and cheaper or more reliable not to get suspended.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$9,500,000
2$4,000,000
3$3,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,000,000
Trades
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$82,113,032$0$132,500$386,968
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$1,950,000$1,950,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 24, 2019 at 7:58 p.m.
Banned
I can it's what Babcock does best, Man i'm glad he's no longer coaching Detroit.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 8:19 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Marleau hasn’t missed a game in 10 years. He’s on ltir now? Ya okay
CaptainFlynnt liked this.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 8:21 p.m.
to the OP

you need to use paragraphs in description, so haters like bcarlo will be able to read.....
Apr. 24, 2019 at 8:22 p.m.
Habs
Lost to an inferior team? The Bruins were the 3rd best team in the league and the leafs took them to game 7.

Don't know where leafs fans get this sense of entitlement, no playoff series wins in the past 15 years yet some were planning the parade as soon as they signed Tavares.

Fire everyone. Trade everyone. Implode again. Good ideas.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 8:24 p.m.
Edited Apr. 24, 2019 at 8:31 p.m.
Dubas should be fired before he overpays 3 more star players (Marner, Kappy and Johnnson)

Leafs=11.6 - Matthews, 11 - Taraves, 9? - Marner,6.9 - Nylander…..meanwhile in
Boston=7.2 - Krejci, 6.9 - Bergeron, 6.7 - Pastrnak, 6.1 - Marchand.....Or
TBay=9.5 - Kucherov, 8.5 - Stamkos, 5.8 - Callahan, 8+? - Point.....Or the
Pens=9.5 - Malkin, 8.7 - Crosby, 6.8 - Kessel, 5.3 - Hornqvist….or
Wash= 9.6 - Ovie, 7.8 - Kuznetsov, 6.7 - Backstrom, 5.8 - Oshie...or even
Phi=8.3 - Giroux, 8.2 - Voracek, 7 - JVR, 4.4 - Couturier

PLUS Dubas had known since Xmas that his playoff opponent was the Bruins and yet he still didn't prepare his team to be playoff ready for the B's (trading a good defensive 4th liner to Winnipeg for a smallish potentially skilled 4th liner, when he already had Ennis for that role...also not picking up DSP off waivers from Washington because he wanted to carry 3 extra Marlie Dmen, Marincin, Holl and Oz? ).
Apr. 24, 2019 at 8:30 p.m.
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Dubas should be fired before he overpays 3 more star players (Marner, Kappy and Johnnson)

Even EDM with 8 x 12,5M and 8 x 8,5M looks like AHL contracts with what Dubarelli has done with Matthews. But watch out....ppl with blue blinders on can be after you, im chased by them pretty much on the site by claiming Matthews is massivelly overpayed....

Did my Homework here : https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1097785
Apr. 24, 2019 at 8:31 p.m.
Quoting: CaptainFlynnt
Lost to an inferior team? The Bruins were the 3rd best team in the league and the leafs took them to game 7.

Don't know where leafs fans get this sense of entitlement, no playoff series wins in the past 15 years yet some were planning the parade as soon as they signed Tavares.

Fire everyone. Trade everyone. Implode again. Good ideas.

We lost this series due to 3 things one of the worst officiated game in over a decade (not my words but that of a former Head of Refs), A PP that was not properly implemented and a PK that for some genuis idea had a winger taking faceoffs. Even with thise obstacles if babcock had not underestimated the intelligence of the opposition we would have won this series. You won this series on flucky luck and bad offiating so yes your team was inferior and should really think of sending a nice giftbasket to the game 2 refs cause they won you this series.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 8:36 p.m.
Habs
Quoting: PuckPal
We lost this series due to 3 things one of the worst officiated game in over a decade (not my words but that of a former Head of Refs), A PP that was not properly implemented and a PK that for some genuis idea had a winger taking faceoffs. Even with thise obstacles if babcock had not underestimated the intelligence of the opposition we would have won this series. You won this series on flucky luck and bad offiating so yes your team was inferior and should really think of sending a nice giftbasket to the game 2 refs cause they won you this series.

First of all I'm not a Bruins fan I'm a habs fan so don't attack "my team" lol.

Game 2 was the one game I didn't watch, but it is playoffs and refs have always been known to put the whistles away in playoffs, not sure why it's worth complaining about. I think the blown goalie interference review in game 5 offsets those two games anyways.

Other than that the officiating was great. I watched every game after game 2 and it was clear that the NHL sent a message to the officials because they were calling perfect games in my opinion. The players had to clean there act up. Toronto had a 3-2 series lead and blew it. Boston outplayed them in both of the last games and it's as simple as that.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 8:39 p.m.

PLUS Dubas had known since Xmas that his playoff opponent was the Bruins and yet he still didn't prepare his team to be playoff ready for the B's (trading a good defensive 4th liner to Winnipeg for a smallish potentially skilled 4th liner, when he already had Ennis for that role...also not picking up DSP off waivers from Washington because he wanted to carry 3 extra Marlie Dmen, Marincin, Holl and Oz? ).

Comparing contracts signed 3, 4, 5 or 6 years ago is lazy and embarrassing. Look at percentage of cap etc.
PuckPal and Ryminister_27 liked this.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 8:41 p.m.
Habs

I was gonna go off on Dubas too, but I'm glad you already did it. Terrible deals for Matthews (would expect this cap hit for an 8 year deal, they only got 5 and he didnt even have to take a discount lol) and Nylander (hold out all season just to give him $7M anyways lol). Then they traded assets for Muzzin (which is fine however given their cap situation did they really need to pay that much for someone who's contract would screw them with the cap next season? Wouldn't it have been wiser to pay less for a rental player?). Dubas is destroying this team.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 8:43 p.m.
First of all I'm not a Bruins fan I'm a habs fan so don't attack "my team" lol.

Game 2 was the one game I didn't watch, but it is playoffs and refs have always been known to put the whistles away in playoffs, not sure why it's worth complaining about. I think the blown goalie interference review in game 5 offsets those two games anyways.

Other than that the officiating was great. I watched every game after game 2 and it was clear that the NHL sent a message to the officials because they were calling perfect games in my opinion. The players had to clean there act up. Toronto had a 3-2 series lead and blew it. Boston outplayed them in both of the last games and it's as simple as that.

What goalie interference call?? You talking about the goal where Rask leaned over the line and got rubbed and then l8r on the game the bruins were clearly offside but they gave them the goal anyways? That part of the game. And about the officating did they put their whistles away when Pavlavski got hit last night? They did in game 2 when Debrysk punched Dermott blooding his nose and Pasternak gave Pasarnek 2 min on the same type a play they gave Kadri a deserving game musconduct. But your right they just completely were being fair and penalized the leafs just as fairly as the bruins that game.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 8:46 p.m.
Quoting: Bcarlo25
Marleau hasn’t missed a game in 10 years. He’s on ltir now? Ya okay

The point of Marleau in LTIR was we retires. But thats if he really is honest with himself.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 8:47 p.m.
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
Comparing contracts signed 3, 4, 5 or 6 years ago is lazy and embarrassing. Look at percentage of cap etc.

You got me a few of these, but Pastrnak and Marchand are in year 2 of their contracts, along with Kuznutsov and Kucherov contract starts next season.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 8:49 p.m.
Quoting: DiehardRedWingsFan58
I can it's what Babcock does best, Man i'm glad he's no longer coaching Detroit.

Quoting: DiehardRedWingsFan58

Any chance you could expand on that? I've been reading some comments from Red Wing fans today and it seems alot of the frustrations that some of us have with him shouldn't be a surprise.. that it was the same complaints when he was with Detroit.

For my part, I became a fan of Babcock when he took a leaf team of mostly rookies deep in a series against the Caps. I thought he was a guy that motivated that year and would give kids with talent opportunities over vets with less skill. I don't know where that dude went?? And now his rhetoric just kinda drives me. The only part of the series that really bothered me was his closing presser.. subtle shots at players, walking out after the first tough question directed at his decisions.. turned the TV off at that point.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 8:51 p.m.
Bcarlo25
The point of Marleau in LTIR was we retires. But thats if he really is honest with himself.

He’s still on the cap if he’s retired.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 8:54 p.m.
Habs
What goalie interference call?? You talking about the goal where Rask leaned over the line and got rubbed and then l8r on the game the bruins were clearly offside but they gave them the goal anyways? That part of the game. And about the officating did they put their whistles away when Pavlavski got hit last night? They did in game 2 when Debrysk punched Dermott blooding his nose and Pasternak gave Pasarnek 2 min on the same type a play they gave Kadri a deserving game musconduct. But your right they just completely were being fair and penalized the leafs just as fairly as the bruins that game.

You know the goalie interference call, Hyman pushed off the dman into rask and interfered with him. That was no goal all season, but that went the leafs way. If you think rask initiated contact then you are delusional. The point is you can pretend the refs were against you, but that's never the case.

Why are you bringing up game 2 when I said I didn't watch it. I said the refs called a great series the remaining 5 games. Why are you bringing up Pavelski? What does that have to do with BOS-TOR? (Don't answer these questions, they're rhetorical).

You can continue to blame everyone and everything and make excuses, but in the end the better team won.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 9:11 p.m.
Banned
Babcock is the most overrated coach in the league. This is his 4th straight 1st round exit. Anybody here could coach team Canada. He has on old time hockey mentality. I'm not even a Leafs fan nor an Islanders fan but Barry Trotz is the best coach in the league hands down. Look at how he put Nashville on the map, won a cup in Washington and turned the Islanders into a what could be a Cinderella team. He maximizes players potential and commands respect. His players buy into his system. Leafs need to hire a shrink to get Boston out of their heads and fire that dinosaur Babcock if they expect to advance. Players aren't the problem in Toronto.
PuckPal liked this.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 9:12 p.m.
You know the goalie interference call, Hyman pushed off the dman into rask and interfered with him. That was no goal all season, but that went the leafs way. If you think rask initiated contact then you are delusional. The point is you can pretend the refs were against you, but that's never the case.

Why are you bringing up game 2 when I said I didn't watch it. I said the refs called a great series the remaining 5 games. Why are you bringing up Pavelski? What does that have to do with BOS-TOR? (Don't answer these questions, they're rhetorical).

You can continue to blame everyone and everything and make excuses, but in the end the better team won.

I brought game 2 so you can understand to gap between what the bruins were allowed to do to the leafs and what the leafs were allowed to do back. And also they weren't Chara was literally allowed to punch people right in front of a ref mulitple times this series without a penalty? Thats what is fair i'll leave you with this if it was Montreal in that series and the bruins literally were allowed to bloody, and punch your players and they were not penalized even though there are clear rules about it you would say it was a fair refed series?
Also, you think a goal that didn't even win the game when they gave them back the goal when they were clearly offside is compensation for playing a part in Kadri's suspension? (it was thats why the league only gave him 3-5 games thats a fact it's been leaked by insiders that they agreed that refs were completely one sided that game) anyways i hope if the habs ever do get back to the playoffs you don't have to have half your roster injured due to greesy dirty play.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 10:35 p.m.
Habs4life
No matter how the Bruins play in the playoffs or how bad the refs are. Montreal still wins game 7. Most of the time. The leafs had a great coach and GM combo and they let LOU go. I'am sure it was because he had no plan for Tavares coming to the leafs this year. The man had a plan and now its all gone. Let the fall from grace start.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 11:00 p.m.
Quoting: Captain_Koivu_
No matter how the Bruins play in the playoffs or how bad the refs are. Montreal still wins game 7. Most of the time. The leafs had a great coach and GM combo and they let LOU go. I'am sure it was because he had no plan for Tavares coming to the leafs this year. The man had a plan and now its all gone. Let the fall from grace start.

Its always a joy to see MON winning Game 7......was it MLB ?
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Apr. 25, 2019 at 4:11 a.m.
Quoting: Captain_Koivu_

So when you were playing NHL 19 how many players did you trade to pull that off?
Apr. 25, 2019 at 7:38 a.m.
Habs
I brought game 2 so you can understand to gap between what the bruins were allowed to do to the leafs and what the leafs were allowed to do back. And also they weren't Chara was literally allowed to punch people right in front of a ref mulitple times this series without a penalty? Thats what is fair i'll leave you with this if it was Montreal in that series and the bruins literally were allowed to bloody, and punch your players and they were not penalized even though there are clear rules about it you would say it was a fair refed series?
Also, you think a goal that didn't even win the game when they gave them back the goal when they were clearly offside is compensation for playing a part in Kadri's suspension? (it was thats why the league only gave him 3-5 games thats a fact it's been leaked by insiders that they agreed that refs were completely one sided that game) anyways i hope if the habs ever do get back to the playoffs you don't have to have half your roster injured due to greesy dirty play.

Sounds like the leafs are too soft for the playoffs. You can't expect the refs to save you everytime there is a scrum after the whistle.

Everyone said the leafs should add grit at the deadline. They didn't. They're grittiest forward took a selfish suspension for the 2nd time in a row against the Bruins.

If it was MTL yes I'd probably be mad, but I wouldn't be calling for heads either. Fire everyone. Trade everyone. Implode again. Good ideas.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll