Forums/Armchair-GM

Cost to Acquire Pesce One more year of tanking

Created by: HOCKEYBOY448
Team: 2019-20 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 24, 2019
Published: Apr. 24, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What needs to be added to the Carolina trade? (Winnepeg 1st or something else) Some may say I'm overvaluing Pesce, but he is a legit top pairing RH defenseman, who is signed to an affordable contract and is the perfect shutdown complement to Skjei, which really helps the right side for us. Plus I'd prefer him over the Trouba or Karlsson route (far more expensive). The Tampa trade gives them some cap relief, while giving them a very steady and reliable fourth line winger in Fast who is defensively responsible, while the Rangers take Callahan for Raddysh and the upgrade from 2nd round pick to 1st round. I prefer to keep the cap flexibility for now and see how this team shakes out, maybe selling at the deadline one last time for the 2020 draft, before things turn the corner for us.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
2$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,600,000
3$2,300,000
2$1,150,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Kakko, Kaapo
3$925,000
Trades
CAR
  1. Andersson, Lias
  2. Day, Sean
  3. Kreider, Chris
  4. Pionk, Neal [RFA Rights]
  5. 2019 2nd round pick (NYR)
NYR
  1. Callahan, Ryan
  2. Raddysh, Taylor
  3. 2019 1st round pick (TBL)
TBL
  1. Fast, Jesper
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (TBL)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$69,069,443$0$482,500$13,930,557
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
Kakko, Kaapo
$925,000$925,000
$2,275,000$2,275,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$3,600,000$3,600,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
UFA - 5
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
UFA - 5
$8,500,000$8,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2
$833,333$833,333
LD
UFA - 2
$2,300,000$2,300,000
RD
UFA - 1
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
G
UFA - 1
$5,700,000$5,700,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,350,000$4,350,000
LD/RD, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 24, 2019 at 9:53 p.m.
I am one of those people who would say you are overpaying for Pesce. Personally, I think Kreider and Pionk is enough but I'm sure there are some who would disagree.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 9:55 p.m.
Quoting: nfc
I am one of those people who would say you are overpaying for Pesce. Personally, I think Kreider and Pionk is enough but I'm sure there are some who would disagree.

You see I would normally think so too and wouldn't want to give up more, but those kind of guys are at a premium and I don't know if I trust the draft to give us such a defenseman, remember how Dylan McIlrath turned out. (Kind of suffering from PTSD on that one still).
Apr. 24, 2019 at 10:05 p.m.
Quoting: HOCKEYBOY448
You see I would normally think so too and wouldn't want to give up more, but those kind of guys are at a premium and I don't know if I trust the draft to give us such a defenseman, remember how Dylan McIlrath turned out. (Kind of suffering from PTSD on that one still).

I think its safe to say (knock on wood) that the rags have learned their lesson since then. But I also think that Carolina really does need scoring help on the wing and Kreider would be a perfect way of addressing that need. They would still have Faulk, Hamilton, and Van Reimsdyk on the right side while adding Pionk who has top 4 potential (I think he is better suited as the 5/6 D which he would be in Carolina). Defense on the left side is still strong with Slavin and De Haan with Fleury and Bean coming up. Defense would be fine. But, I get how Pesce is on one of the most team friendly deals in the league and that would take a bit extra to get. Just think adding Lias is an overpayment. Adding Vlad (with some retained salary) or Vesey would make more sense. Or a 3rd.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 10:21 p.m.
I think its safe to say (knock on wood) that the rags have learned their lesson since then. But I also think that Carolina really does need scoring help on the wing and Kreider would be a perfect way of addressing that need. They would still have Faulk, Hamilton, and Van Reimsdyk on the right side while adding Pionk who has top 4 potential (I think he is better suited as the 5/6 D which he would be in Carolina). Defense on the left side is still strong with Slavin and De Haan with Fleury and Bean coming up. Defense would be fine. But, I get how Pesce is on one of the most team friendly deals in the league and that would take a bit extra to get. Just think adding Lias is an overpayment. Adding Vlad (with some retained salary) or Vesey would make more sense. Or a 3rd.

You know if that could get the trade done, I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could keep Lias and send Vlad 50% retained instead.
Apr. 24, 2019 at 10:23 p.m.

Kreider got 1 year remaining, so you need to add Lias Anderson. If Kreider is extended, Pionk Kreider Namesnikov maybe 2nd/3rd round pick should do it. Pesce at 4M for years is a bargain
Apr. 24, 2019 at 11:11 p.m.
Quoting: Poehling
Kreider got 1 year remaining, so you need to add Lias Anderson. If Kreider is extended, Pionk Kreider Namesnikov maybe 2nd/3rd round pick should do it. Pesce at 4M for years is a bargain

Maybe you put a preliminary deal of Kreider, Namestnikov (50% retained), and Pionk for Pesce in place. Then you allow Carolina to discuss an extension with Kreider before they accept to determine if he'll sign long term because if he won't then the deal is dead. If Kreider and Carolina agree to a 6x6 I bet they would pull the trigger on it. Pionk I'm guessing would get about 2x2 and then Vlad's next deal would depend on how he performs.
GilgimeshGurpgork liked this.
Apr. 25, 2019 at 10:39 a.m.
DanzhastheTouch

Your first sentence says it all. Why you are handing Carolina Chris Kreider, is beyond me. And I don't want to hear about him being a pending UFA. Any one of five UFA forwards fits the bill. In fact, if you trade them Pionk, that also is giving them a player they have an abundance of in Charlotte.

Namestnikov, Day, and the Rangers' own (not the acquired) second round picks for the next two drafts, likely seals the deal.
Apr. 25, 2019 at 11:08 a.m.
Quoting: danzhock10
Your first sentence says it all. Why you are handing Carolina Chris Kreider, is beyond me. And I don't want to hear about him being a pending UFA. Any one of five UFA forwards fits the bill. In fact, if you trade them Pionk, that also is giving them a player they have an abundance of in Charlotte.

Namestnikov, Day, and the Rangers' own (not the acquired) second round picks for the next two drafts, likely seals the deal.

If I were "handing" them Kreider I would've suggested trading him straight up for Van Reimsdyk. Where did I ever say we had to trade him because he is an upcoming UFA? Oh, right, I didn't. Do you know who Brett Pesce is? Top pair right shot D are at a premium in the league right now, and Pesce is that. He is young and on a great contract. Now if Carolina would accept a one for one swap of Kreider for Pesce I would do that in a heartbeat, but they wouldn't.

And as for that deal you are convinced would seal the deal, you must be delusional. Namestnikov is at best a low tier 2nd line player and realistically better suited for 3rd line duty. Day spent a lot of time in the ECHL last season. THE ECHL. It'll be a long time before he sees any time in the NHL, if he ever even makes it. So basically the best piece they get would be the rangers second. Carolina would laugh in our face at that offer.
GMTD liked this.
Apr. 25, 2019 at 11:59 p.m.
DanzhastheTouch
Do you know who Brett Pesce is?

You must be the nimrod every body keeps warning me about?

No, enlighten me. Wait, I'll enlighten YOU instead. 2013 3rd round pick from Tarrytown, NY (66th pick overall)..right shot defenseman who the Rangers missed by not having a first or second round pick that draft. Instead they picked Anthony Duclair and Pavel Buchnevich in that round. Of course, then, the Rangers didn't need a defenseman at the time; and Pesce was still relatively raw at this point.

I guess the real question is, do YOU know Chris Kreider? While your smartaas response only shows you might think you have stones, you can easily get them hammered into dust by not knowing that a speedy power forward, who can shoot, pass and check is more than enough to garner a first round pick--in fact TWO (see Kane, Evander), shows you ain't close to meeting the price.

I like Pesce, but Kreider is undervalued by the nimrods like you on this site, who swear your little nerdboards matter at all.

Go to bed.. school's in the morning!
Apr. 26, 2019 at 2:19 p.m.
Quoting: danzhock10
You must be the nimrod every body keeps warning me about?

No, enlighten me. Wait, I'll enlighten YOU instead. 2013 3rd round pick from Tarrytown, NY (66th pick overall)..right shot defenseman who the Rangers missed by not having a first or second round pick that draft. Instead they picked Anthony Duclair and Pavel Buchnevich in that round. Of course, then, the Rangers didn't need a defenseman at the time; and Pesce was still relatively raw at this point.

I guess the real question is, do YOU know Chris Kreider? While your smartaas response only shows you might think you have stones, you can easily get them hammered into dust by not knowing that a speedy power forward, who can shoot, pass and check is more than enough to garner a first round pick--in fact TWO (see Kane, Evander), shows you ain't close to meeting the price.

I like Pesce, but Kreider is undervalued by the nimrods like you on this site, who swear your little nerdboards matter at all.

Go to bed.. school's in the morning!

Ahhhh someone's rattled eh? Resorting to attempt to insult me while making zero intelligent counter points goes to show the kind of person you are. Hate to break it to ya bud, but you're on here too. And seeing as you're giving input it seems as if you think your opinion matters at all, which it doesn't! Now let me stoop down to your level, **** aas bicth.

Sick transformers user pic by the way you fukin twat. Have fun living in your folks basement the remainder of your useless existence. Get bent loser.

Night night!
GilgimeshGurpgork liked this.
Apr. 27, 2019 at 12:00 a.m.
DanzhastheTouch
Ahhhh someone's rattled eh? Resorting to attempt to insult me while making zero intelligent counter points goes to show the kind of person you are. Hate to break it to ya bud, but you're on here too. And seeing as you're giving input it seems as if you think your opinion matters at all, which it doesn't! Now let me stoop down to your level, **** aas bicth.

Sick transformers user pic by the way you fukin twat. Have fun living in your folks basement the remainder of your useless existence. Get bent loser.

Night night!

Rattled by YOU?!? The window licker?!? Not a chance, peanut brittle. You couldn't offend me if you tried. Since I'm a homeowner and self-employed, you can enjoy licking the crack and give the window a rest.

You clearly are the negative Nick they warn us all to drop in Thundercats memes..dissing my Transformers user pic. Get bent?? I bend my secretary every night, and she loves that I've got The Touch!

Night, night. Go right to sleep.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll