Forums/Armchair-GM

Greatest All Time Lineup

Created by: Agent_Of_R9
Team: 2019-20 Custom Team
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 10, 2019
Published: Jul. 10, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is my team consisting the greatest players of all time, not just in the NHL, but in the entirety of the sport. Please comment your opinion regarding selections. All ideas are welcomed. The coach I have picked to coach this team is Scotty Bowman.
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$999,999,999$383,738,462$0$0$616,261,537

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Howe, Gordie
$23,500,000$23,500,000
Gretzky, Wayne
$25,000,000$25,000,000
Richard, Maurice
$22,000,000$22,000,000
Lafleur, Guy
$20,000,000$20,000,000
Lemieux, Mario
$24,500,000$24,500,000
Beliveau, Jean
$21,500,000$21,500,000
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,538,462$9,538,462
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
Jagr, Jaromir
$15,000,000$15,000,000
Messier, Mark
$19,000,000$19,000,000
Yzerman, Steve
$18,000,000$18,000,000
Hull, Bobby
$18,000,000$18,000,000
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Orr, Bobby
$23,000,000$23,000,000
Roy, Patrick
$16,500,000$16,500,000
Lidstrom, Nicklas
$22,000,000$22,000,000
Bourque, Raymond
$21,000,000$21,000,000
Tretiak, Vladislav
$15,000,000$15,000,000
Potvin, Denis
$20,000,000$20,000,000
Coffey, Paul
$21,500,000$21,500,000
Harvey, Doug
$20,000,000$20,000,000

Special Teams

Power Play 1
Howe, G.
Lemieux, M.
Richard, M.
Orr, B.
Gretzky, W.
Power Play 2
Lafleur, G.
Hull, B.
Coffey, P.
Penalty Kill 1
Yzerman, S.
Howe, G.
Lidstrom, N.
Orr, B.
Penalty Kill 2
Messier, M.
Gretzky, W.
Harvey, D.
Potvin, D.

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 10, 2019 at 4:09 p.m.
looks good other than Tretiak. I know he was great internationally but its hard to list him with guys like Brodeur, Hasek, etc. who were dominant NHL goalies
Jul. 10, 2019 at 4:10 p.m.
Bcarlo25
truth be told, I'm pretty inclined to leave guys off this team if they were scoring goals before the goalies actually wore equipment.
Jul. 10, 2019 at 4:12 p.m.
AvsFan19
I'd take Sakic over Yzerman but I am biased.
mhockey91 liked this.
Jul. 10, 2019 at 4:12 p.m.
Meow
Hasek is the GOAT.
Jul. 10, 2019 at 4:18 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: mhockey91
looks good other than Tretiak. I know he was great internationally but its hard to list him with guys like Brodeur, Hasek, etc. who were dominant NHL goalies

Thank you for the recommendation. Personally, I think Brodeur is a little overrated because he played in front of a stellar defense during his days with the Devils and faced a very small amount of high danger chances. Hasek would have made this team however I believe Tretiak at his best was more impressive. The performances against some of the greatest Canadian players of all time where he made world class save one after another was truly iconic and deserving to have his name recognized as one of the greatest goalies ever.
mhockey91 liked this.
Jul. 10, 2019 at 4:21 p.m.
Quoting: chrisdouglasavs19

burnaby Joe was the GOAT
Jul. 10, 2019 at 4:24 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Bcarlo25
truth be told, I'm pretty inclined to leave guys off this team if they were scoring goals before the goalies actually wore equipment.

Well, the game of ice hockey has no doubt become more developed and advanced compared to where it was 50 years ago. However, every era had it’s competition and produced it’s stars, yet while you can argue that this current period is far more impressive than hockey in the 50s, we should still honour the legends as this is an all time team. Players like Richard, Howe, Beliveau and Hull were not only exceptional talents during their peaks, they also did many things whiched helped revolutionized the way hockey is played.
Jul. 10, 2019 at 4:27 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast

Both were excellent players during their days, but personally I believed Yzerman’s playing style really helped the shape up the role of a dominant 2 way centre.
Jul. 10, 2019 at 4:28 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: BrandonDubinskyGOAT
Well, the game of ice hockey has no doubt become more developed and advanced compared to where it was 50 years ago. However, every era had it’s competition and produced it’s stars, yet while you can argue that this current period is far more impressive than hockey in the 50s, we should still honour the legends as this is an all time team. Players like Richard, Howe, Beliveau and Hull were not only exceptional talents during their peaks, they also did many things whiched helped revolutionized the way hockey is played.

yaaa, but I'm pretty tempted to put Ovechkin over a guy like Guy Lafleur who scored his goals when there were like 14 goals a period. If you look at scoring compared to the competition at the time, I'm just not impressed with a lot of the old timers.
Jul. 10, 2019 at 4:28 p.m.
Thank you for the recommendation. Personally, I think Brodeur is a little overrated because he played in front of a stellar defense during his days with the Devils and faced a very small amount of high danger chances. Hasek would have made this team however I believe Tretiak at his best was more impressive. The performances against some of the greatest Canadian players of all time where he made world class save one after another was truly iconic and deserving to have his name recognized as one of the greatest goalies ever.

Brodeur was overrated? Not only did he have great fundamentals, they actually changed the game because of his stick handling and implemented the trapezoid behind the net. Serious question though. You think his defence was better than Roy's in Montreal or Colorado? Really though, I think you did a great job here! You had a lot of players to pick from and I think you did really well. I myself wouldn't change much.
Agent_Of_R9 liked this.
Jul. 10, 2019 at 4:35 p.m.
yaaa, but I'm pretty tempted to put Ovechkin over a guy like Guy Lafleur who scored his goals when there were like 14 goals a period. If you look at scoring compared to the competition at the time, I'm just not impressed with a lot of the old timers.

maybe, but you also have to appreciate these guys who played through injuries all the time. Guys were taking elbows to the head all the time ( especially when Howe was on the ice ) or how about Bobby Baun who fractured his ankle and then played the game and scored a over time goal without any freezing. You have to respect the game that was played, and the players of those eras. The goalies may have wore less equipment, but so did the players.
Jul. 10, 2019 at 5:25 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast

Thank you for commenting, indeed you have a point. The skill level and intensity of hockey in the past is not as impressive as it is today. However, I think it’s important that we learn to understand and appreciate the pioneers of the game who made way to help develop hockey the way it is today. The truth is, as hockey players in the present, we’ll always look down at those in the past because they don’t have the luxury or advancements we have. For example, 50 years from now, the players will think that this current generation of hockey players were so unimpressive because who knows how different and improved the game will be in the future. As you can see, I did not put many old timers on my team. However, since this is an all time team, it just didn’t seem right to leave off generational stars like Howe and Richard. I understand you don’t like Lafleur, but he was the biggest star of the 70s. He was what Ovechkin is today.
Jul. 10, 2019 at 6:21 p.m.

Brodeur over Tretiak. I'd say brett hull over bobby hull
mhockey91 liked this.
Jul. 10, 2019 at 6:22 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Due to nature of positons., there are too many centres. But please Gordie Howe and Guy LafLeur are RWs, and Bobby Hull a LWer. Really the can't argue with any of the players, although goalies would debatable with Plante, Hall and Sawchuk on many folks lists.
mhockey91 liked this.
Jul. 10, 2019 at 6:45 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown

Quoting: palhal
Due to nature of positons., there are too many centres. But please Gordie Howe and Guy LafLeur are RWs, and Bobby Hull a LWer. Really the can't argue with any of the players, although goalies would debatable with Plante, Hall and Sawchuk on many folks lists.

There were many great goalies, but I think Tretiak was the most impressive because many times throughout his career, he single handedly bailed out his team’s defense against some of the greatest teams in history such as Canada as well the dynasty of the Bruins and Flyers in which his team (Russia and CSKA Moscow) were heavily outplayed. Not many goalies can boast that.

As for Brett Hull, I felt that indeed he was an elite player during his time, but he was overrated and wasn’t good enough in making this team. He was very much a one dimensional goal scorer who had an excellent release, but not much other attributes. He wasn’t a great skater, lacked speed, agility, vision and creativity. He wasn’t great at possessing the puck either as his stick handling and puck skills were average. I felt he was carried by some highly skilled and intelligent players like Oates, Niewendyk and Fedorov as they could drive the play for him and create chances. Brett Hull for me is the equivalent of Pippo Inzaghi in soccer, great scorer but he only did it by standing and waiting. He wasn’t anywhere close to the player his father was as Bobby revolutionized the role of a sniper with his speed, explosiveness and quick release.

As for the wingers, I purposely put the right handers on the left and left handers on the right. Personally, I feel one can be more dangerous to play on the off wing.
Jul. 10, 2019 at 6:50 p.m.

dude won 3 art Rosses and 2 harts. he was so dominate in his prime
Jul. 10, 2019 at 7:02 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Edited Jul. 10, 2019 at 7:10 p.m.
dude won 3 art Rosses and 2 harts. he was so dominate in his prime

No doubt he was a grest player but I didn’t believe he should be on this team. For a player who only had a good shot, that’s not enough individual skills to make it.
Jul. 10, 2019 at 7:24 p.m.
No doubt he was a grest player but I didn’t believe he should be on this team. For a player who only had a good shot, that’s not enough individual skills to make it.

It wasn't just his shot tho. His driving the puck ability was unparallel. And his insane capability to lead a team, and get to the dirty areas. He had IQ about the game a good shot, good pass, and a good drive of the puck. It wasn't just a shot. His dad Bobby was just a shot.
Jul. 10, 2019 at 7:58 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
It wasn't just his shot tho. His driving the puck ability was unparallel. And his insane capability to lead a team, and get to the dirty areas. He had IQ about the game a good shot, good pass, and a good drive of the puck. It wasn't just a shot. His dad Bobby was just a shot.

Honestly, I’m not sure about that. I will have to watch his games again. All I remember is that he liked to wait in the slot or half wall for his teammates to drive the play and set him up for a chance. He wasn’t a great skater and didn’t have much speed or agility, plus his puck skills were unspectacular. He couldn’t deke and dangle his way through players and generate attack on his own. Honestly from everything I’ve seen and read regarding him, he was a one dimensional goal scorer who got carried by the likes of Oates, Niewendyk and Fedorov, all of whom were incredibly skilled and capable individual players. I actually just watched an interview with Brett regarding his career and he even admitted, he didn’t have the skating, movement or puck skills to play at an elite level, but he relied on his shot and strong positioning to receive passes and get the puck in the net. I’ve seen Bobby play and he was much more than what you described. He was well known for his skating, explosiveness, agility, puck protection skills and shot.
Jul. 23, 2019 at 2:49 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast

Quoting: Smithcd995

Hasek is the GOAT.

Quoting: palhal

Please check out my all time Czech Republic team and let me know in the comment section what you think of my selections! https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1345965

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll