Forums/Armchair-GM

Laine to the NYI

Created by: jimmyjets
Team: 2019-20 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 6, 2019
Published: Sep. 6, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Jets have zero interest in Leddy, Bellows or Dal Colle, Wilde is too risky to be the main peice of a Laine trade and the Jets want a now player so they target Pulock over Dobson.

I view the trade as Pulock + Wahlstrom for Laine but then the Islanders need to shed cap to fit Laine's contract. It cost Toronto a 1st to get rid of $6M in capspace so the Jets take on Martin and Griess (.926 sv%) and move back Brossoit (.925 sv%) saving $2M on backup goalie and about $5.5M in space overall and in exchange for taking the players we get the Islanders 2020 1st.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$7,000,000
Trades
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$80,582,500$0$272,500$917,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 6
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
UFA - 5
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
UFA - 7
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,125,000$4,125,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,916,667$2,916,667
C
UFA - 2
$741,667$741,667
RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,280,000$2,280,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the New York Islanders
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,150,000$3,150,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 5
$775,000$775,000 (Performance Bonus$60,000$60K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$7,600,000$7,600,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
UFA - 1
$4,333,333$4,333,333
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000
RW
RFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 6, 2019 at 10:09 a.m.
? San Jose Sharks ?
Incoming NYI fans saying no and offering scraps instead cause “wE DoNT WaNT TO OffER QuAliTy cAuSE LAinE iS 1 DimEnsiOnAl”
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Sep. 6, 2019 at 10:26 a.m.
NYI
Quoting: Ccc
Incoming NYI fans saying no and offering scraps instead cause “wE DoNT WaNT TO OffER QuAliTy cAuSE LAinE iS 1 DimEnsiOnAl”

No, but you are going to get NYI fans (including me) saying we're not trading our top-pairing defenseman, our top prospect, and a 1st round pick for a guy who is good but needs to get PAID. Even if this was fair (it's not), the Islanders trading Martin and Greiss to shed cap makes no sense. We don't have a cap problem this year, it's next year, so we'd have to give you guys like Clutterbuck, Komarov, or Ladd if you want to take a cap dump.

I'm also not sure why you wouldn't be interested in Leddy, Bellows, or Wilde. Leddy is a top-4 defenseman on a good contract. Bellows had an off year but he's still a good prospect. Bode Wilde was a steal at his draft spot and is looking like a legit top-4 prospect. Those guys are valuable. MDC I kind of get, but he looked solid last year.
Sep. 6, 2019 at 10:33 a.m.
? San Jose Sharks ?
Quoting: slapshot723
No, but you are going to get NYI fans (including me) saying we're not trading our top-pairing defenseman, our top prospect, and a 1st round pick for a guy who is good but needs to get PAID. Even if this was fair (it's not), the Islanders trading Martin and Greiss to shed cap makes no sense. We don't have a cap problem this year, it's next year, so we'd have to give you guys like Clutterbuck, Komarov, or Ladd if you want to take a cap dump.

I'm also not sure why you wouldn't be interested in Leddy, Bellows, or Wilde. Leddy is a top-4 defenseman on a good contract. Bellows had an off year but he's still a good prospect. Bode Wilde was a steal at his draft spot and is looking like a legit top-4 prospect. Those guys are valuable. MDC I kind of get, but he looked solid last year.

I think Griess is weird and same with Martin don’t get me wrong. I think the isle like them a lot and don’t need to move them or for this certain trade as Griess is gonna he looked at a lot this year and Martin has really thrived with NYI. But as for Wahl and Pulock. Laine is an elite scorer (notice how I say scorer) and he can become a generational shooter (his potential). You can choose pulock or Dobson but one has to go. Bellies and Wilde are great but I’ve heard to many isles fans not give raving reviews on the two in recent time. Leddy also had a down year (mainly offensively). The jets want impactful young guys as Laine is an impactful young guy. Giving those other guys you names as cap dumps is the correct proposal rather than what this AGM suggested but the value is there. Maybe take the first out and change it idk but pulock or Dobson would have to be going back I’d think.
tsyls liked this.
Sep. 6, 2019 at 10:41 a.m.
Quoting: Ccc
I think Griess is weird and same with Martin don’t get me wrong. I think the isle like them a lot and don’t need to move them or for this certain trade as Griess is gonna he looked at a lot this year and Martin has really thrived with NYI. But as for Wahl and Pulock. Laine is an elite scorer (notice how I say scorer) and he can become a generational shooter (his potential). You can choose pulock or Dobson but one has to go. Bellies and Wilde are great but I’ve heard to many isles fans not give raving reviews on the two in recent time. Leddy also had a down year (mainly offensively). The jets want impactful young guys as Laine is an impactful young guy. Giving those other guys you names as cap dumps is the correct proposal rather than what this AGM suggested but the value is there. Maybe take the first out and change it idk but pulock or Dobson would have to be going back I’d think.

100% Pulock or Dobson is going back or there is no trade.
Ccc liked this.
Sep. 6, 2019 at 10:51 a.m.
If the Isles make a trade for Laine that includes Pulock or Dobson, Lou needs to be fired immediately (and I love Lou and what he's done for this team so far). Including either of those guys for a player like Laine (Yes, he's a great goal scorer, but yes he is also a one dimensional player) is terrible asset management and hurts the team more than it helps.

Leddy and some combination of Mayfield/Wilde/Wahlstrom/Bellows/JHS/MDC and picks should be more than enough to get Laine.
Sep. 6, 2019 at 10:58 a.m.
Isles7
Quoting: Hockeygoalie53
If the Isles make a trade for Laine that includes Pulock or Dobson, Lou needs to be fired immediately (and I love Lou and what he's done for this team so far). Including either of those guys for a player like Laine (Yes, he's a great goal scorer, but yes he is also a one dimensional player) is terrible asset management and hurts the team more than it helps.

Leddy and some combination of Mayfield/Wilde/Wahlstrom/Bellows/JHS/MDC and picks should be more than enough to get Laine.

Laine is an elite goal scorer but everything else about his game is “replacement level” quality.

Still not opposed to trading for him, but if WPG GM asks for one of pulock or Dobson, you move on. Not worth it.
Sep. 6, 2019 at 11:19 a.m.
jimmyjets

It isn't. We don't need any Left D or Wingers and futures aren't ideal either as we have Buff, Wheeler and Little that are going to start declining. Our window is now so we need a today 1b C or top 4 RHD or else it makes no sense to the jets.

To elaborate for LHD we have Morrissey, Niku (Ahl Defenseman of the year in his rookie season), Stanley (1st round pick), Samberg (2nd round pick) and Heinola (1st round pick) as near ready players. Adding more players to this backlog doesn't help as we then need to make additional trades to get the parts we do need in a young 2c (preferably a 1b type) or a top pair RHD. If we're not getting either of those things there is no trade to be made. We don't need even 5 quarters for a dollar here through volume of lower end prospects and picks.

If you don't want to move Pulock or Dobson I get it, but then there is no trade. It sounds like that's the case so there shouldn't be anymore Laine to the Isles proposals on here.
Sep. 6, 2019 at 1:14 p.m.
Quoting: jimmyjets
It isn't. We don't need any Left D or Wingers and futures aren't ideal either as we have Buff, Wheeler and Little that are going to start declining. Our window is now so we need a today 1b C or top 4 RHD or else it makes no sense to the jets.

To elaborate for LHD we have Morrissey, Niku (Ahl Defenseman of the year in his rookie season), Stanley (1st round pick), Samberg (2nd round pick) and Heinola (1st round pick) as near ready players. Adding more players to this backlog doesn't help as we then need to make additional trades to get the parts we do need in a young 2c (preferably a 1b type) or a top pair RHD. If we're not getting either of those things there is no trade to be made. We don't need even 5 quarters for a dollar here through volume of lower end prospects and picks.

If you don't want to move Pulock or Dobson I get it, but then there is no trade. It sounds like that's the case so there shouldn't be anymore Laine to the Isles proposals on here.

Ok, but just because it's not what WPG wants in a trade, doesn't mean it's not fair value for Laine. Just like WPG may think Pulock or Dobson for Laine is fair because they want a RHD, but the Isles won't do it because it's not what they want for their team.

Second, you said your window is now, you don't hink Leddy will help your D more than any of those young guys who may struggle in their first year? Plus, Wahlstrom could theoretically make the team this year with a strong camp. Wilde is likely to be NHL ready next season, but like Wahlstrom, could make the team this year with a strong camp so neither of them is as far off as you think.

Third, no one is going to offer a #1 D, #2 C and draft picks for Laine, it's just not happening for a guy whose only asset is to score goals. It's also becoming increasingly obvious WPG doesn't want to pay Laine what he's asking and even more likely (given recent reports) Laine does not want to stay in WPG long term.

Lastly, the rumored ask for Laine is an NHL D-man, B Prospect and a draft pick. There is also a rumored Isles package of Mayfield, Bellows, Wilde, a 1st and a 2nd... so WPG fans may want to start tempering their expectations on what a Laine return is going to look like.
Sep. 6, 2019 at 1:52 p.m.
jimmyjets
Ok, but just because it's not what WPG wants in a trade, doesn't mean it's not fair value for Laine. Just like WPG may think Pulock or Dobson for Laine is fair because they want a RHD, but the Isles won't do it because it's not what they want for their team.

Second, you said your window is now, you don't hink Leddy will help your D more than any of those young guys who may struggle in their first year? Plus, Wahlstrom could theoretically make the team this year with a strong camp. Wilde is likely to be NHL ready next season, but like Wahlstrom, could make the team this year with a strong camp so neither of them is as far off as you think.

Third, no one is going to offer a #1 D, #2 C and draft picks for Laine, it's just not happening for a guy whose only asset is to score goals. It's also becoming increasingly obvious WPG doesn't want to pay Laine what he's asking and even more likely (given recent reports) Laine does not want to stay in WPG long term.

Lastly, the rumored ask for Laine is an NHL D-man, B Prospect and a draft pick. There is also a rumored Isles package of Mayfield, Bellows, Wilde, a 1st and a 2nd... so WPG fans may want to start tempering their expectations on what a Laine return is going to look like.

To be clear, under no circumstances to I think the Jets should trade Laine unless we are adding to him to get one even better player.

Unfortunately for Laine as an RFA without arb rights all he can do is sit out the season and Chevy won't fold like Dubas did. I'd rather control Laine for his age 25 season than his age 21 season so if he wants to sit the year he can. If someone decides to try to white knight the situation and offersheet him we'll match. Rumours are rumours and for sure aren't coming out of TNSE. If the rumoured offers were really enough than the trade would already be done. Just something to think about to temper your expectations.

The Jets don't want to move Laine, don't have to move Laine and don't have to bend to the contract that Laine wants as he has no rights other than playing in the KHL (for less than what the Jets would pay), sitting out the year or accepting a contract that is fair and works for the Jets. Even if it ends up being a one year "show me" deal. They did that with Hellebuyck and then paid him when he put up numbers. They bridged JMo and will pay him now that he's our #1 D.

People can ask for whatever they want, but if they want to play hockey in the best league in the world making multiple millions of dollars they also need to either entice an offersheet like Aho or work with the team that has their rights for a deal that works for everyone. Once they become a UFA they can go to the highest bidder and play wherever you want, but you need to earn that right.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll