Forums/Armchair-GM

What A Realistic Pietrangelo Trade Might Look Like

Created by: Trevorchef
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 26, 2019
Published: Nov. 26, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
IF YOU RESPOND TO THIS WITHOUT READING THIS DESCRIPTION YOU WILL MISS THE POINT ENTIRELY.

Okay, I have been seeing a lot of this floating around lately. I think that it is important to realize that there are a lot more teams other than the Leafs that would be competing for the services of Pietrangelo IF the Blues decide that they want to move him.

They way that I see it, the Blues are completely in the drivers seat here. I personally think that the Blues have made their intentions clear by not extending him. (I could be way off the mark here but that is just my personal feeling on the situation). Which leads me to believe that they have two options. They could...

1. Keep Petro for another cup run and let him walk in the summer.
2. Trade him at or before the deadline and augment their already solid group in other areas.

I will use the relatively standard "deadline acquisition package" that teams typically use for upper level soon to be UFA's.

1st Round Pick + Top Nine Roster Player + Upper Level Prospect

Please keep in mind that this is not a want on my part. It is just some realistic expectations that may or may not come to pass should they decide to trade him.

Most of what I have seen thus far has been seriously lopsided in value leaning towards the Leafs. Pietrangelo is an elite top pairing RHD that plays in all situations.

Also of note, I think that there are other teams that could put together better packages than the Leafs are prepared to table. Again, just my opinion.

Now... Leaf fans will be screaming and yelling about how much of an overpay this is. The fact of the matter is, this is they type of return that the Blues would be expecting, (and probably will get from somebody), in a Pietrangelo trade.

They would still have to clear cap space to facilitate a deal like this so for this instance, I will remove Cody Ceci's contract in a trade with the Anaheim Ducks.
(THIS IS JUST FOR ILLUSTRATION PURPOSES AND NOT A LEGITIMATE TRADE SUGGESTION).

As you can see, this is a steep price to pay for a UFA. BUT, someone WILL pay it if the Blues decide to make Pietrangelo available.

I hope the Leafs choose not to go down this road.

I hope this puts an end to all of the Cody Ceci + Jeremy Bracco + Tor 2nd for Alex Pietrangelo BS, but it probably won't.
Trades
TOR
  1. 2020 6th round pick (ANA)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$81,022,143$0$70,000$477,857
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 26, 2019 at 10:33 a.m.
Quoting: Brigid1011
I still think there’s a deal to be made between the Sabres and Leafs for an RD. Seems more likely than a deal for AP/Parayko.

I agree with that. Both teams have excess in the other teams areas of need.
deleted_12392840 liked this.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 10:40 a.m.
Edited Nov. 26, 2019 at 10:55 a.m.
Quoting: Trevorchef
Exactly my thinking. Thanks for your feedback. (More importantly, thank you for actually reading the description and not just responding blindly with Blue Tinted Goggles).

I read the description and agree. But what about adding Muzzin to the trade you have or swap out Bracco for Lily, as I think they will want something else added to the trade. Before you slaughter me we would still have Rielly, Dermott and we could call up Sandin for the left side. It also helps solve the cap situation instead of being forced to trade Ceci as teams won't be lining up to help us free up cap space so we can upgrade our biggest weakness. I like Muzzin but I think this could make sense if the front office doesn't want to extend him and he also won the cup (twice but the first time he was mostly on the bench). What are your thoughts? Also great discussion! It's always nice to see people getting involved in these types of ACGMs compared to the usual BS ones. Good job ?
Nov. 26, 2019 at 10:59 a.m.
I honestly dont think this is enough on the leafs end. obviously 2021 picks arent a hot commodity, so while it is a first round pick its not for 2 years. If the prospect needs 2-3 years of developing thats 5 years away. 2020 draft is stacked with talent especially the 1st round and alot of that might be able to step in right away. If petro gets traded its to a team with a 2020 first or multiple. Ide also expect them to ask for sandin and not liljegren. I also dont see blues trading their franchise dman. There will be a faithful attempt to resign him or he walks in FA. Unless this team just bottoms out. then anythings up in the air.
Trevorchef and mokumboi liked this.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 11:01 a.m.
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
I read the description and agree. But what about adding Muzzin to the trade you have or swap out Bracco for Lily, as I think they will want something else added to the trade. Before you slaughter me we would still have Rielly, Dermott and we could call up Sandin for the left side. It also helps solve the cap situation instead of being forced to trade Ceci as teams won't be lining up to help us free up cap space so we can upgrade our biggest weakness. I like Muzzin but I think this could make sense if the front office doesn't want to extend him and he also won the cup (twice but the first time he was mostly on the bench). What are your thoughts?

Well, since I am against the trade for Pietrangelo anyways, I would probably not change it much to be honest. Unless there were a trade that the Blues really liked that also benefitted the Leafs.

I think that the Leafs will re-sign Muzzin. At least, I think that they should re-sign Muzzin.

Barrie will walk as a UFA and Dermott will be re-signed. The key for me is having a legit top pairing RHD to play with Rielly, or with Muzzin should the Leafs decide to trade Rielly. (Not likely and certainly not a popular decision from an optics perspective).

I am all for trades that make this Leafs team better. Why they were not in on defensman like Colin Miller and Henri Jokiharju in the offseason is beyond me but, I digress.

The guy that I really would like to see the Leafs target is David Savard from Columbus. I'd take this all day and twice on Sundays...

Rielly / Savard
Muzzin / Barrie
Dermott / Holl
Nov. 26, 2019 at 11:02 a.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: Jack_
I get what youre saying and i also dont think getting petro is a good idea. hes not a great penalty killer but hes still very good. the leafs wont trade sandin but maybe look at lilly even though i thing its a bad idea. With stlouis having a weak left side a think it would be a good idea for a rielly+ for paryako. maybe rielly and bracco? I feel dermott is ready to step up into the top 4 at this point and rilly having a similar contract to parayko helps both teams. stl already has Faulk and if they were to resign their captain there would be no room for parayko

Faulk is doing nothing to convince anyone in the Blues FO that he could replace Parayko or Petro. He's been pretty brutal.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 11:07 a.m.
Kings v5 GM
Quoting: A_K
Faulk is doing nothing to convince anyone in the Blues FO that he could replace Parayko or Petro. He's been pretty brutal.

he has never been that great, im not sure why stl made that trade but he has the extension so they kind of have to make it work
Nov. 26, 2019 at 11:13 a.m.
mokumboi
Add me to the list who say that: 1) I agree with much of what you said in the description, 2) Sandin (LD) rather than Liljegren (RD) would be the Blues' pick of the two & 3) it is not correct to say the Blues have sent a message by not re-upping Petro. They are trying and will continue to try for an extension, but are also walking a cap tightrope.

I'll also add that they probably won't be too gonzo after Kap. They'd likely prefer Johnsson or Mikheyev (which opens up other problems regarding the TML cap situation).

In summation, I doubt the Blues would trade Petro and will likely find a way to get him re-signed. And even if they can't, I doubt these teams are a good trade fit, because TML probably wouldn't want to give up what the Blues would demand.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 11:14 a.m.
mokumboi

He hasn't been that poor. And it's fair to say he's still adapting to our system and new partners (which have switched far too often so far).
Nov. 26, 2019 at 11:14 a.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: Jack_
he has never been that great, im not sure why stl made that trade but he has the extension so they kind of have to make it work

For sure, but making it work won't be moving Parayko, it would be keeping him and Petro since we don't have replacements for them. Armstrong wanted to have a little negotiating power on his side but I'm hoping he's smart enough to see that the team won't be very good without Pietrangelo and he has a bunch of 28+ yr old guys with term on their deals. I think he's gonna have to keep Petro around or he runs the risk of being mediocre for the next 3-4 yrs. That's the absolute worst thing to be in the NHL.
Jack_ and Trevorchef liked this.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 11:17 a.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: mokumboi
He hasn't been that poor. And it's fair to say he's still adapting to our system and new partners (which have switched far too often so far).

I hope he keeps adapting and improving but I wouldn't count on him carrying one of our top two pairs from what I've seen. He has a good amount of skill but he hasn't played very smart and he loves to kill plays with turnovers/shots to the breadbasket/blocked shots/etc.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 11:17 a.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Add me to the list who say that: 1) I agree with much of what you said in the description, 2) Sandin (LD) rather than Liljegren (RD) would be the Blues' pick of the two & 3) it is not correct to say the Blues have sent a message by not re-upping Petro. They are trying and will continue to try for an extension, but are also walking a cap tightrope.

I'll also add that they probably won't be too gonzo after Kap. They'd likely prefer Johnsson or Mikheyev (which opens up other problems regarding the TML cap situation).

In summation, I doubt the Blues would trade Petro and will likely find a way to get him re-signed. And even if they can't, I doubt these teams are a good trade fit, because TML probably wouldn't want to give up what the Blues would demand.

Thanks for the feedback. For the record, I did not say that the Blues had "sent a message". I only offered my opinion on my perception of their intentions which I qualified may not be on target.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 11:33 a.m.
mokumboi
Edited Nov. 26, 2019 at 4:21 p.m.
I hope he keeps adapting and improving but I wouldn't count on him carrying one of our top two pairs from what I've seen. He has a good amount of skill but he hasn't played very smart and he loves to kill plays with turnovers/shots to the breadbasket/blocked shots/etc.

Yeah, his shot accuracy has been quite disappointing thus far. Either right into the gut or high, it seems. By and large, he's cleaned up his play inside both blue lines and is skating the puck better. I'm sure his shot will come around, but it's hella-aggravating at the moment because we need all hands on deck offensively with Vladdy and Blais out.
A_K liked this.
Nov. 26, 2019 at 1:32 p.m.
Quoting: Trevorchef
Well, since I am against the trade for Pietrangelo anyways, I would probably not change it much to be honest. Unless there were a trade that the Blues really liked that also benefitted the Leafs.

I think that the Leafs will re-sign Muzzin. At least, I think that they should re-sign Muzzin.

Barrie will walk as a UFA and Dermott will be re-signed. The key for me is having a legit top pairing RHD to play with Rielly, or with Muzzin should the Leafs decide to trade Rielly. (Not likely and certainly not a popular decision from an optics perspective).

I am all for trades that make this Leafs team better. Why they were not in on defenseman like Colin Miller and Henri Jokiharju in the offseason is beyond me but, I digress.

The guy that I really would like to see the Leafs target is David Savard from Columbus. I'd take this all day and twice on Sundays...

Rielly / Savard
Muzzin / Barrie
Dermott / Holl

I get your against it, so are most if not all blues fans. But both front offices would disagree. My comment was about other team's not wanting to take Ceci's contract so we can add Petro or in other words, it would cost us more to move him in a separate deal which I'd rather not do. I get it can be a bit counterproductive too trade Muzzin but it would help St. Louis especially if they would be interested in extending him.

Again, I've stated on multiple occasions that our teams don't lineup well for a trade but I can't see Armstrong wasting his time scouting us if things weren't close or if it was a small deal as some suggested, otherwise what kid of message would that send to his scouting staff?

I would be all for a deal headlined by Rielly and Parayko but I don't see the blues moving him. Shoutout too Jack for thinking outside the box though.

I for one couldn't be happier that we didn't get Collin Miller... He's overrated on here but Jokiharju would have been a great pick up.

I've followed Savard since he entered the league and have always liked him. Unfortunately CBJ will want too much for him to be worth our while, and though it's extremely unlikely my dream would be to get Seth Jones. Him and Rielly would be the best D pairing in the league IMHO. I do realize it's not going to happen though. But imagine

Rielly/Jones
Dermot/Holl (or a FA signing like DeMelo to form a shutdown pair)
Sandin/Liljegren

One can dream can't he lol.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll