Forums/Armchair-GM

My view of realistic hall trade

Created by: JeffW
Team: 2019-20 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 8, 2019
Published: Dec. 8, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Although I'd rather not trade for hall, I dont wanna go up against hall-oreilly-tarasenko in the playoffs..

I also think unless hall signs a team friendly 4-5 year deal he probably walks in UFA, fortunately he says he wants to win which he will get the chance in colorado for the next few years.

Byram is off limits in any trade, I know jersey needs a defenseman so I'd be willing to swap timmins for kaut in this trade as long as hall came with that extension

I know Jersey fans wont think this is enough but they are being forced to trade hall which makes him worth less assets in a trade.

People may also reference the mark stone trade and brunstrom, however if you look at vegas this year their defense is terrible and they could definately use brunstrom, possibly more than stone
Trades
NJD
  1. Compher, J.T.
  2. Kaut, Martin
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (COL)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$72,759,761$0$3,532,500$8,740,239
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$5,571,429$5,571,429
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
UFA - 4
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
UFA - 6
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,975,000$1,975,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$885,833$885,833 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
RW
UFA - 4
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RD
UFA - 2
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
UFA - 2
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$950,000$950,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,450,000$3,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$735,000$735,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,600,000$2,600,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
RFA - 1
$1,450,000$1,450,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 8, 2019 at 11:15 a.m.
I am on the same line of thinking as you...I know they keep on saying Devils want young D prospects in any Hall trade but the teams involved like Blues, Yotes, Edmonton...Blues and Yotes dont have those to give away and Edmonton has in Bouchard and Broberg but they cant afford to move. In this package ( I am not a fan of moving Compher but avs have another D prospects that are not worthy on D in Zhuravlyov and helleson). I think they are going to get a quantity over quality deal

Thats why the mention of Byram is just so silly by Devils fans, no other team has a Byram level prospect so you arent getting one from the Avs, you wont be getting it from any other team.

Stars didnt include Heiskanen in any Karlsson talks, Sens didnt include Chabot in Duchene talks,Knights didnt include Glass in any Karlsson or Stone talks, Avs didnt include Makar in any Karlsson talks Why do Devils fans think they can get Byram in trade talks? The NHL just doesnt work that way.
Price_is_the_goat liked this.
Dec. 8, 2019 at 11:24 a.m.
Quoting: coga16
I am on the same line of thinking as you...I know they keep on saying Devils want young D prospects in any Hall trade but the teams involved like Blues, Yotes, Edmonton...Blues and Yotes dont have those to give away and Edmonton has in Bouchard and Broberg but they cant afford to move

Thats why the mention of Byram is just so silly by Devils fans, no other team has a Byram level prospect so you arent getting one from the Avs, you wont be getting it from any other team.

Stars didnt include Heiskanen in any Karlsson talks, Knights didnt include Glass in any Karlsson or Stone talks, Avs didnt include Makar in any Karlsson talks
Why do Devils fans think they can get Byram in trade talks? The NHL just doesnt work that way

Because hes the best case scenario, and the media looks at colorado and sees the great defense they have and says they can afford to ship a good dman out... but why would they, byram could be a stud, hall will be 32 when byram negotiates his next deal, elc contracts on stud players are how good teams win cups.

Sure taylor hall could help them make a push this year, but 2 years down the road it could be byram that helps them make that push.. but which is harder to find a potential top 2 dman under control for the next 6 years or a 30 year old uFA winger that would play on your 2nd line 2nd pp unit?
Dec. 8, 2019 at 11:30 a.m.
Pmwalker
Timmons
Bowers
2020 first.

For

Hall

That’s my guess on the deal
Dec. 8, 2019 at 11:33 a.m.
I am on the same line of thinking as you...I know they keep on saying Devils want young D prospects in any Hall trade but the teams involved like Blues, Yotes, Edmonton...Blues and Yotes dont have those to give away and Edmonton has in Bouchard and Broberg but they cant afford to move. In this package ( I am not a fan of moving Compher but avs have another D prospects that are not worthy on D in Zhuravlyov and helleson). I think they are going to get a quantity over quality deal

Stars didnt include Heiskanen in any Karlsson talks, Sens didnt include Chabot in Duchene talks,Knights didnt include Glass in any Karlsson or Stone talks, Avs didnt include Makar in any Karlsson talks Why do Devils fans think they can get Byram in trade talks? The NHL just doesnt work that way.

i think hall would want to sign in colorado. he's wasted his career with crappy teams. he wants to win a cup. colorado can help him achieve that. so say he only wants to sign with colorado, than the power shifts to sakic and he can dictate the return to jersey. kinda like stone and ottawa. so its a pretty good trade
Dec. 8, 2019 at 11:34 a.m.
Quoting: JeffW
Because hes the best case scenario, and the media looks at colorado and sees the great defense they have and says they can afford to ship a good dman out... but why would they, byram could be a stud, hall will be 32 when byram negotiates his next deal, elc contracts on stud players are how good teams win cups.

Sure taylor hall could help them make a push this year, but 2 years down the road it could be byram that helps them make that push.. but which is harder to find a potential top 2 dman under control for the next 6 years or a 30 year old uFA winger that would play on your 2nd line 2nd pp unit?

thats my point...what they would have to outbid in terms of D level prospects, you dont need a Byram to do that with the teams rumoured to be in the deal. Other teams wont be parting with their top top D prospect either....Yotes wont move Victor Soderstrom....Edmonton wont move Bouchard, maybe they move Broberg but there is small to no chance he reups there so they are just giving away Broberg for a rental? No clue who the Blues top D prospect is, I think all their best young guys are already on the roster and they arent touching their NHL roster. Devils dont want to trade him in the East so they really limited their return packages, then when you factor in the will Hall resign with that team and does that team have the Cap space to do so. The landing spots are even smaller.

Devils dont really much negotiation power in trade talks, they lost a lot of leverage already with limiting their return partners
Dec. 8, 2019 at 11:37 a.m.
Quoting: Price_is_the_goat
i think hall would want to sign in colorado. he's wasted his career with crappy teams. he wants to win a cup. colorado can help him achieve that. so say he only wants to sign with colorado, than the power shifts to sakic and he can dictate the return to jersey. kinda like stone and ottawa. so its a pretty good trade

oh I dont mind the trade at all, I think its very workable and if that was the deal I would be cool with the move. And I think he would re-up in Colorado, if it was only a 6 year deal under 11m then it works, if he is asking for the moon and more than Panarin money bc 1 elite season is setting his value despite being surrounded by good to average seasons his whole career. Sorry not worth that money

Just was talking more in general about how rampant this site and twitter have been throwing Byram into Hall 1 for 1 of Byram++ for Hall proposals, there is no barometer for that sort of return for a rental, so no way Avs are going to make that move especially with how resaved Sakic is as a GM
Dec. 8, 2019 at 11:46 a.m.
Quoting: Pmwalker
Timmons
Bowers
2020 first.

For

Hall

That’s my guess on the deal

I think they ask for Kaut instead. Hughes, Nico, and Zacha are already their 3 Top9 young Cs for a while, not sure where Bowers would fit as a pure C.
Price_is_the_goat and JeffW liked this.
Dec. 8, 2019 at 11:47 a.m.
oh I dont mind the trade at all, I think its very workable and if that was the deal I would be cool with the move. And I think he would re-up in Colorado, if it was only a 6 year deal under 11m then it works, if he is asking for the moon and more than Panarin money bc 1 elite season is setting his value despite being surrounded by good to average seasons his whole career. Sorry not worth that money

Just was talking more in general about how rampant this site and twitter have been throwing Byram into Hall 1 for 1 of Byram++ for Hall proposals, there is no barometer for that sort of return for a rental, so no way Avs are going to make that move especially with how resaved Sakic is as a GM

if hall was like 23, than yeah trading Byram makes sense. his best year are yet to come at age 23. but he's 28 so trading a stud doesn't make sense.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Dec. 8, 2019 at 11:50 a.m.
Quoting: Price_is_the_goat
if hall was like 23, than yeah trading Byram makes sense. his best year are yet to come at age 23. but he's 28 so trading a stud doesn't make sense.

he is 29 at the start of next season when an extension kicks in...Its a dangerous long term contract to hand out bc you never know what happens to guys as soon as they hit 32 if they age well or fall off a cliff.
Its the reality of Hall. You arent moving a franchise 1D level prospect for a guy at his age and this point of his career
Dec. 8, 2019 at 12:09 p.m.
Pmwalker
If I’m Sakic and looking at a future top pairing of Byrum and Makar there’s nothing that’s gonna convince me to deal either one. Definitely not Hall.
JeffW liked this.
Dec. 8, 2019 at 12:18 p.m.
Quoting: Pmwalker
If I’m Sakic and looking at a future top pairing of Byrum and Makar there’s nothing that’s gonna convince me to deal either one. Definitely not Hall.

Exactly and devils are in no way in a position to even ask that, they have the expiring asset that doesn’t want to sign there, they don’t want to trade him to the east and the longer they wait the more risk they take on letting him play either getting injured or slumping

They will risk losing him for nothing if they set the value sky high.
Pmwalker liked this.
Dec. 8, 2019 at 1:09 p.m.
Byram is a potential everything, lets not make him Paul Coffey before he steps on the ice for his first game as a pro! If Hall were 23, I wouldn't be trading him for Byram, you'd have to add a ton!
The Devils have an elite (still) winger who can still be a game-changer by himself, given the right opportunity, they can ask for whatever they want! If Shero gets more than he wants from an eastern team he will do it. Without a NTC/NMC Shero does not have his hands tied. Colo is a good fit because of the cap space, and young players available. If you think Shero just caves, your nuts. He can just as easily be moved to a western team that the AVs need to go through to get further in the POs, Sakic will have to consider that regardless of whatever keyboard GM here thinks.
Dec. 9, 2019 at 12:39 p.m.
Tweaky
Byram may be the ask, but no other team has a D prospect on that level that is at all available (or should be, looking at you EDM). No other Western team even has a D prospect on the same level as Timmins that is in a position to be moved. That is the bar that Sakic has to beat with his offer. What is the best package the competition can put together, when a top D prospect is a requirement? Arizona has Soderstrom, but their pipeline is thin on D, so not likely to give up their best. Calgary has a decent top 8, but nothing of note in the system after that....and Gio is getting old. Dallas has Harley, but very unlikely they are willing to give him up given their lack of D depth. Edmonton absolutely cannot afford to give up any D prospects, so Broberg and Bouchard are off the table. Minnesota does not have any D prospects even close to the level we are discussing. Surprisingly, neither does Nashville. SJS has Markley and Knyazev, but again...not enough depth at D to give them up (after their top 3/4 it drops off quick). STL has the depth, but no good D prospect. VGK is not going to make the same mistake twice....they cannot afford to give up their top D prospect two years in a row. VAN does nto have the depth or the prospects. As for WPG, Heinola might qualify, but they are gong to need a Buff replacement....soon. And LAK, ANA and CHI are all non-starters for Hall, IMO
JeffW liked this.
Dec. 9, 2019 at 12:54 p.m.
Quoting: tweaky
Byram may be the ask, but no other team has a D prospect on that level that is at all available (or should be, looking at you EDM). No other Western team even has a D prospect on the same level as Timmins that is in a position to be moved. That is the bar that Sakic has to beat with his offer. What is the best package the competition can put together, when a top D prospect is a requirement? Arizona has Soderstrom, but their pipeline is thin on D, so not likely to give up their best. Calgary has a decent top 8, but nothing of note in the system after that....and Gio is getting old. Dallas has Harley, but very unlikely they are willing to give him up given their lack of D depth. Edmonton absolutely cannot afford to give up any D prospects, so Broberg and Bouchard are off the table. Minnesota does not have any D prospects even close to the level we are discussing. Surprisingly, neither does Nashville. SJS has Markley and Knyazev, but again...not enough depth at D to give them up (after their top 3/4 it drops off quick). STL has the depth, but no good D prospect. VGK is not going to make the same mistake twice....they cannot afford to give up their top D prospect two years in a row. VAN does nto have the depth or the prospects. As for WPG, Heinola might qualify, but they are gong to need a Buff replacement....soon. And LAK, ANA and CHI are all non-starters for Hall, IMO

Agreed, except hall has no say where he gets traded, but I assume those teams would need an extension in order to give up prospects...

Some nobody writer posted an article that said the trade would involve girard but I cant see joe moving the guy he wanted so bad during the duchene trade, not to mention who he just signed long term, especially when byram isnt NHL ready

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll