Forums/Armchair-GM

2020-21 RFAs

Created by: Trickster
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 12, 2020
Published: Jan. 12, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think Bracco and Timashov will get traded, I really like Timashov so this sucks.

Mikheyev, because of the injury I think he signs only 1 year show me deal.

Dermott, I think he will be bridged now to 2 year deal to sign him long term after... bridging him on 2 years keeps him as RFA.

Engvall, I think he will also be bridged but to a 3 year deal.
Small chance he signs also a 1 year deal at 925k but I am betting on him signing for 3 years.

Double K, I think he will signed to be the goalie exposed to Seattle as Woll and Scott show potential to surpass him.

Gauthier, he has earned a new deal with Leafs with his increased speed as that was the knock on him in the past.

I signed some other guys that I think will be useful if injuries happen which they always do.

I do not think every RFA will be back.

Would love to hear others input on these.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$850,000
2$900,000
2$2,500,000
3$1,250,000
2$900,000
3$900,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
1$1,250,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
9$83,500,000$11,450,000$0$0$72,050,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$850,000$850,000
RW, LW
UFA
$900,000$900,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
C
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$900,000$900,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 14, 2020 at 9:21 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster
Back to hockey now...

Pick one of the following:

Trade for UFA D man

OR

Trade for D man you envision being Rielly's partner for next year and beyond

Ahh so soon... I was just getting started lol. Seriously though I don't want any rentals unless we can get one very cheap but I still want to trade away our expiring contracts and see what we can do in FA or look at trade options in the offseason to see who's available and what it would cost to get MO long term partner.
Trickster and Trickster liked this.
Jan. 14, 2020 at 9:23 p.m.
Brainf fart, SWR?

Simone Wood-Richardson he was part of the Mets deal for Stroman.
Trickster liked this.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 7:44 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
Yeah, but I don't think the Dodgers would want it like that... Don't get me wrong they should be dubbed WS champs twice but I think they'd rather earn it so to speak.

So Alex gone from Boston.
Mets let go Beltran after only hiring in November

Whose next?
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 7:57 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Simone Wood-Richardson he was part of the Mets deal for Stroman.

Whose next?

And just heard players are going to be suspended too.
No names yet.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 10:34 p.m.

Whose next?

Corra was inevitable and just saw that Beltran was let go, apparently, Altuve is denying cheating.... That would be a massive blow to find out the best 2nd baseman in baseball was cheating. But I'll wait till the rulings come out. I'm kinda mixed on this because don't get me wrong I wanted to see the players get punished also but I thought MLB would let them off because they'd want them to step forward in the future which will be harder and it's not fair for another team that had nothing to do with it get penalized by losing a player for a predetermined amount of time.

Other than that, I'm not sure who's next, but it will be very telling and I think we're going to hear some names we don't want to/didn't expect i.e. Altuve. I also think well hear other team's and players from other teams or at least I did before Manfred decided to go after the players....then again maybe they already know more? I like I said, I want to see the players get punished but I wanted to see how many team's they could unearth in this.

How many other teams do you think have been cheating?
Trickster liked this.
Jan. 16, 2020 at 10:37 p.m.
And just heard players are going to be suspended too.
No names yet.

I also heard that Huston is interviewing Gibby for their manager position.
Jan. 17, 2020 at 1:20 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Corra was inevitable and just saw that Beltran was let go, apparently, Altuve is denying cheating.... That would be a massive blow to find out the best 2nd baseman in baseball was cheating. But I'll wait till the rulings come out. I'm kinda mixed on this because don't get me wrong I wanted to see the players get punished also but I thought MLB would let them off because they'd want them to step forward in the future which will be harder and it's not fair for another team that had nothing to do with it get penalized by losing a player for a predetermined amount of time.

Other than that, I'm not sure who's next, but it will be very telling and I think we're going to hear some names we don't want to/didn't expect i.e. Altuve. I also think well hear other team's and players from other teams or at least I did before Manfred decided to go after the players....then again maybe they already know more? I like I said, I want to see the players get punished but I wanted to see how many team's they could unearth in this.

How many other teams do you think have been cheating?

More then being speculated.
It is just the way it is.

I want the hammer dropped on the players too.
OldNYIfan and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jan. 17, 2020 at 2:23 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

Here are two simple adjustments:

1. Baseball is, more than any other major sport, statistics-intensive. Therefore, any batting statistic for a Houston player relating to the third, fourth and fifth game of the World Series should have an asterisk attached to it.

2. Houston gets no home games for the next two post-seasons; let them play on a neutral field of a non-playoff team (or teams, could rotate) so that those fans could get to see post-season games.
Jan. 17, 2020 at 11:05 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Yo @Sign_em_up000000

Any insight on this Ruben guy that Jays signed???
Jan. 18, 2020 at 1:27 p.m.
Jangle29
Most of these guys will be 700k minimum
Trickster and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jan. 18, 2020 at 1:56 p.m.
Yo @Sign_em_up000000

Isn't he Miguel Tejada's son? Or at least I thought he was.
Jan. 18, 2020 at 4:49 p.m.

Quoting: OldNYIfan
Here are two simple adjustments:

1. Baseball is, more than any other major sport, statistics-intensive. Therefore, any batting statistic for a Houston player relating to the third, fourth and fifth game of the World Series should have an asterisk attached to it.

2. Houston gets no home games for the next two post-seasons; let them play on a neutral field of a non-playoff team (or teams, could rotate) so that those fans could get to see post-season games.

Okay, but if it means that players wouldn't come forward in the future would you still want them punished?

Also, a question for both of you and @oneX what do you guys think of banning the Astros from postseason play? Hear me out on this one, by banning them from the playoffs all incentive to cheat would be gone IMO. The players want to win so they would be deterred managers and coaching staff are already deterred from cheating after the 1-year bans handed out and gm's wouldn't want to cheat either for the same reasons. Also, if a player is set to hit FA the acquiring team would not have their services for the postseason until the ban is over. If a player is arb eligible they could lose those rights as well, IMO, that would get rid of cheating in the game.

In this case, you could band them for either 1,2 or 3 years and the penalties only become more severe each time a team gets caught. You may not like it but I think it would be effective.... I mean, would you cheat if that was the punishment? And it punishes the players like you guys want. I'm guessing I'll get a thumbs down on this one, oh well just an idea.
OldNYIfan and Trickster liked this.
Jan. 18, 2020 at 4:54 p.m.
I like your idea too!

@OldNYIfan 's idea punishes ownership because they don't get direct revenues from playoff games which is a good idea as well.
Jan. 18, 2020 at 4:57 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Okay, but if it means that players wouldn't come forward in the future would you still want them punished?

Also, a question for both of you and @oneX what do you guys think of banning the Astros from postseason play? Hear me out on this one, by banning them from the playoffs all incentive to cheat would be gone IMO. The players want to win so they would be deterred managers and coaching staff are already deterred from cheating after the 1-year bans handed out and gm's wouldn't want to cheat either for the same reasons. Also, if a player is set to hit FA the acquiring team would not have their services for the postseason until the ban is over. If a player is arb eligible they could lose those rights as well, IMO, that would get rid of cheating in the game.

In this case, you could band them for either 1,2 or 3 years and the penalties only become more severe each time a team gets caught. You may not like it but I think it would be effective.... I mean, would you cheat if that was the punishment? And it punishes the players like you guys want. I'm guessing I'll get a thumbs down on this one, oh well just an idea.

In a perfect world, this would be true justice.

You'll get as old as I am waiting for it to happen.

I'll even improve on your idea: instead of a blanket ban for one year, which wouldn't hurt them if they don't make the playoffs, what about a ban the next time the team qualifies for the playoffs?

Bet you'd only have to impose that ban once.
Jan. 18, 2020 at 4:59 p.m.
Yo @Sign_em_up000000

Well, there's no such thing as a bad minor league signing right lol. Seriously, he's not an upgrade on Urena in terms of play and age but he doesn't take up a spit on the 40 or 26 man roster so that's a bonus and at this point in his career he'll likely be a veteran mentor in Buffalo, although I thought the same thing about Sogard last year. The first thing that came to mind when Isaw we signed him was the 2015 NLDS (I believe that was the year) when Utley slid into 2nd base and broke his leg that took him like a year to a year and a half to recover from.

At this point in his career, his defence is average(ish) and his bat is no wear to be found. I think he breaks with the Bissons after ST and Espinal either gets the 26th spot or starts with Buffalo too until he's needed if we get another middle infielder.

One thing I really wanted to see this offseason was for Drury to be DFA'D and sign Holt to replace him but that ain't happening now?
Trickster liked this.
Jan. 18, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
Quoting: oneX
Isn't he Miguel Tejada's son? Or at least I thought he was.

No, he might be related to him but his father was a mechanic and his mother was a secretary iirc.
Jan. 18, 2020 at 5:19 p.m.
In a perfect world, this would be true justice.

You'll get as old as I am waiting for it to happen.

I'll even improve on your idea: instead of a blanket ban for one year, which wouldn't hurt them if they don't make the playoffs, what about a ban the next time the team qualifies for the playoffs?

Bet you'd only have to impose that ban once.

That's what I'm talking about!

My idea was anyone caught cheating (players) would hurt their future financial earnings, let's use Springer as an example... Let's say the Astros get a 1year ban from the playoffs like the 1-year bans for Himch and Lunow or a 2year ban like the draft picks lost or a 3-year ban because they've been cheating for 3 years (probably longer but you get my point), in Springers case a 1-year ban doesn't hurt him as much but a 2-year or 3-year ban and any team looking at him in GA next year would be hesitant to sign him because he wouldn't be eligible for the playoffs and in this case would have lost his arb rights for this year (likely carrying the same AAV as last year or potentially less, IMO, that would deter players from cheating in the future and owners would make sure that their team isn't cheating because they forfeit their picks in those years.

Also, that's why want to see the amount a team (owner) can be fined to $50 mill @oneX is right it may not be that much to Crane but how many owners can afford to pay that? Look at the Rays payroll last year or Oakland or Cleveland etc. Those owners couldn't afford a fine that big so they would be more careful who they hire and would monitor their teams more closely. IMO, the punishment should be viewed more as a deterrent for other teams going forward because the punishment will only get worse the more team's get caught. Another thing Manfred could do is fine players who are already under contract like Altuve for example.

From a neutral party, what do you think of the Blue Jay's off-season so far? And can you give me more insight into what to expect from Ryu going forward? I know he doesn't have overpowering stuff but he's effective and he has a good pitching arsenal also I expect him to not be as effective coming to the AL East but he should be the best pitcher for us next year.
OldNYIfan and Trickster liked this.
Jan. 18, 2020 at 6:39 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
That's what I'm talking about!

My idea was anyone caught cheating (players) would hurt their future financial earnings, let's use Springer as an example... Let's say the Astros get a 1year ban from the playoffs like the 1-year bans for Himch and Lunow or a 2year ban like the draft picks lost or a 3-year ban because they've been cheating for 3 years (probably longer but you get my point), in Springers case a 1-year ban doesn't hurt him as much but a 2-year or 3-year ban and any team looking at him in GA next year would be hesitant to sign him because he wouldn't be eligible for the playoffs and in this case would have lost his arb rights for this year (likely carrying the same AAV as last year or potentially less, IMO, that would deter players from cheating in the future and owners would make sure that their team isn't cheating because they forfeit their picks in those years.

Also, that's why want to see the amount a team (owner) can be fined to $50 mill @oneX is right it may not be that much to Crane but how many owners can afford to pay that? Look at the Rays payroll last year or Oakland or Cleveland etc. Those owners couldn't afford a fine that big so they would be more careful who they hire and would monitor their teams more closely. IMO, the punishment should be viewed more as a deterrent for other teams going forward because the punishment will only get worse the more team's get caught. Another thing Manfred could do is fine players who are already under contract like Altuve for example.

From a neutral party, what do you think of the Blue Jay's off-season so far? And can you give me more insight into what to expect from Ryu going forward? I know he doesn't have overpowering stuff but he's effective and he has a good pitching arsenal also I expect him to not be as effective coming to the AL East but he should be the best pitcher for us next year.

I think Ryu is in the sweet spot of his career. He's been around long enough to have learned that real long-term success at pitching requires out-thinking the batters and therefore acquiring the skills necessary to win (i.e., a sufficient inventory of pitches and knowing when to use each one). When you're young and can blow hitters away, all you need is that fastball and one type of breaking ball, but once you're no longer able to overpower hitters with pure speed, you need more than two pitches. I think you'll be happy with Ryu for at least a couple of years.
oneX and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jan. 18, 2020 at 7:22 p.m.
I think Ryu is in the sweet spot of his career. He's been around long enough to have learned that real long-term success at pitching requires out-thinking the batters and therefore acquiring the skills necessary to win (i.e., a sufficient inventory of pitches and knowing when to use each one). When you're young and can blow hitters away, all you need is that fastball and one type of breaking ball, but once you're no longer able to overpower hitters with pure speed, you need more than two pitches. I think you'll be happy with Ryu for at least a couple of years.

I couldn't agree more! I think he was the smart play for us in terms of bang for your buck and the fact that he didn't have a QO attached to him. Cole would have likely cost us $400-420mill on a 10-12 year deal and that's IF he would have even considered us, Strausberg I wouldn't touch with his injury history and again what it would have cost (we have to overpay to get most to consider coming here) and Odorizzi accepted his QO so that took us out of that convo.

Wheeler made sense but with having to forfeit the 45th oa pick and international bonus pool money it wasn't worth it (plus I like Ryu more). I think our FO got it right with ryu and I think Roark is getting overlooked by a lot of people. I don't expect him to be something he's not but after going through 21 different starters (I know the opener strategy played a large part in that) he can give us consistent a bite unspectacular results and being able to rely on him to pitch every 5th day will go along way to helping stabilize our rotation IMO.

Would you say our off-season has been a success or failure so far?

Edit: I just saw we signed Panik and Dull to minor league deals. I'm kinda in shock Panik chose to come here but if he makes our roster he'll earn $2.85 so it's likely more than other teams would be willing to offer.

Thanks for the input it's much appreciated! ?
OldNYIfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll