Forums/Armchair-GM

Read description and big Minnie trade

Created by: Copenhagen
Team: 2020-21 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 15, 2020
Published: Apr. 16, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Big trade with the Wild. What do you think of trading our beloved Nuge. He is still young and the Wild need better centers.
Who needs to go as I clearly have to many players.
Make the best lines.
Man am I Covid bored and tried to fit a bunch of players under the cap.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,000,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,000,000
3$3,000,000
3$1,500,000
1$750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,000,000
1$1,500,000
1$1,500,000
3$4,000,000
1$1,500,000
Trades
EDM
    CBO
    EDM
    1. 2020 5th round pick (LAK)
    LAK
    1. Russell, Kris
    Additional Details:
    After 3.5 million paid by Oilers
    TOR
    1. Benning, Matthew
    2. 2021 3rd round pick (EDM)
    Additional Details:
    Oilers retain 500k
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    25$81,500,000$81,028,532$341,534$730,000$471,468
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Minnesota Wild
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $12,500,000$12,500,000
    C
    UFA - 6
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LW, RW, C
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 5
    $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Minnesota Wild
    $1,487,500$1,487,500
    C
    UFA - 1
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    RW
    UFA - 4
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,167,000$4,167,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $4,166,666$4,166,666
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $5,600,000$5,600,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $850,000$850,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
    RD
    RFA - 3
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $875,000$875,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,150,000$2,150,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RD
    UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 16, 2020 at 12:22 p.m.
    Quoting: F50marco
    1) I want Puljujarvi. Teams want Puljujarvi. They just don't want to have to pay the asking price for him.
    2) Its not completely unheard of that a players signs a deal he wouldn't have normally signed to help facilitate a trade. Although 3 years at 1M is probably not realistic. He would want a short term term deal.
    3) Puljujarvi will not sign an OS UNLESS he knows EDM will not match. The price has to be high enough that EDM gets the price no one wants to pay. If its at a price they aren't happy with they will simply keep him and force him to play with his new contract. So its not easy.
    4) Edmonton has already resorted to knowing they will probably lose the future JP trade. Knowing this, why would they make it easy for anyone? This is the same thing with Andersson and the NYR. This is more about letting the player and future players know that you can't just sulk out of the organization. If it costs them a slightly better pick, than so be it. The ramifications of not doing it might be more costly in the long run if players know they can just refuse to sign and then be traded somewhere else.

There is more to the JP situation than meets the eye. If EDM didn't care about anything and just wanted to get rid of him, a deal would happened a long time ago.

That was my mistake, I thought on this site you have to sign them before you trade them, I will try it the other way next time. I thought the site had a glitch like when I try to eat less than 50% of Bennings cap hit, it wont let me for some reason either.
    Apr. 16, 2020 at 12:22 p.m.
    14m in dead cap
    Quoting: Copenhagen
    Nuge is definitively the best player in the deal. Not sure what you are talking about. Center over winger with the same stats always trumps.

It doesn't when the center is about to be a UFA and the winger was finally showing some consistency at being the high end talent he was drafted to be. Edmonton won't be able to afford Nuge, if they Wild want him, just sign him to deal Edmonton can't afford when he's a UFA and keep their young winger.
    Apr. 16, 2020 at 12:23 p.m.
    1) I want Puljujarvi. Teams want Puljujarvi. They just don't want to have to pay the asking price for him.
    2) Its not completely unheard of that a players signs a deal he wouldn't have normally signed to help facilitate a trade. Although 3 years at 1M is probably not realistic. He would want a short term term deal.
    3) Puljujarvi will not sign an OS UNLESS he knows EDM will not match. The price has to be high enough that EDM gets the price no one wants to pay. If its at a price they aren't happy with they will simply keep him and force him to play with his new contract. So its not easy.
    4) Edmonton has already resorted to knowing they will probably lose the future JP trade. Knowing this, why would they make it easy for anyone? This is the same thing with Andersson and the NYR. This is more about letting the player and future players know that you can't just sulk out of the organization. If it costs them a slightly better pick, than so be it. The ramifications of not doing it might be more costly in the long run if players know they can just refuse to sign and then be traded somewhere else.

There is more to the JP situation than meets the eye. If EDM didn't care about anything and just wanted to get rid of him, a deal would happened a long time ago.

You are 100% correct in everything you said. and there is definitely more than meets the eye
    Apr. 16, 2020 at 12:25 p.m.
    Quoting: kingsfaninSD
    Kings don't want or need Russell, pass.

Did you see your D next year. Russel for 1.5 million is excellent.
    Apr. 16, 2020 at 12:25 p.m.
    That was my mistake, I thought on this site you have to sign them before you trade them, I will try it the other way next time. I thought the site had a glitch like when I try to eat less than 50% of Bennings cap hit, it wont let me for some reason either.

Ahh. Yeah they don't have to BUT they technically could still do your scenario minus the 3 year contract at only 1M which I think JP would refuse and I would agree with him. Its kind of rare but who knows.
    Copenhagen liked this.
    Apr. 16, 2020 at 12:28 p.m.
    Quoting: JayTea
    It doesn't when the center is about to be a UFA and the winger was finally showing some consistency at being the high end talent he was drafted to be. Edmonton won't be able to afford Nuge, if they Wild want him, just sign him to deal Edmonton can't afford when he's a UFA and keep their young winger.

Sure thing and another 10 teams can sign him as well. Its all how you want your team built i guess. With 3rd and 4th line centerman is fine. I just tried to do an absolutely fair trade here. Nuge for Fiala and Samurukov and Poolparty for EE
    Apr. 16, 2020 at 12:29 p.m.
    Not at the expense of the offensive player they need far more. If they trade for a center, it'll be a top 4 defenseman going out.

Nuge has more points every year than Fiala. So I am not sure what you are saying and he is 2 way player too.
    Apr. 16, 2020 at 12:31 p.m.
    14m in dead cap
    Nuge has more points every year than Fiala. So I am not sure what you are saying and he is 2 way player too.

And this is where I exit this conversation. You don't understand the difference between different players being older or taking different development paths or having different linemates and only look at points? lololol
    Apr. 16, 2020 at 12:37 p.m.
    And this is where I exit this conversation. You don't understand the difference between different players being older or taking different development paths or having different linemates and only look at points? lololol

Yah well you think a winger has more value than a center with the same production. Than I cant help you. 4 years age difference only. Its like comparing Datsyuk and Iginla. Both great player but I take Datsyuk every time. Good luck with the rebuilding of your team. I will find another fair trade that works.
    Apr. 16, 2020 at 12:59 p.m.
    If Nuge re-signs in Edmonton, he needs to fire his agent.

Why? Edmonton was one of the best teams in the league down the stretch and has a very bright future.

He's certainly not staying in Edmonton at the same cap hit

Nobody said he would.

given the needs Edmonton has to address, do they really want to sink $7m+ to keep him around?

Yes, I think they do. Of course, they have another whole season to decide whether or not he's worth it, but at this point I'd put money on Holland being willing to pay him $7M+.

The ACGM above has a bunch of unlikely scenarios to free up cap space that won't happen. Flat cap and a CBO? Kings taking a guy they don't need just because?

This has nothing to do with me - or re-signing Nuge a year from now. Russell's $4M contract will be done by then.

The ACGM above has a bunch of unlikely scenarios to free up cap space that won't happen. Flat cap and a CBO? Kings taking a guy they don't need just because?

Plus Nuge is pretty much who he is at this point, he's in his prime.

What is he though? When he got moved to wing (and finally got some decent linemates), his offense exploded. He scored at a pace of 1.37 P/GP over the last 30 games, good for 6th best pace in the NHL.
    Copenhagen liked this.
    Apr. 16, 2020 at 1:08 p.m.
    Quoting: CD282
    Why? Edmonton was one of the best teams in the league down the stretch and has a very bright future.

Nobody said he would.

Yes, I think they do. Of course, they have another whole season to decide whether or not he's worth it, but at this point I'd put money on Holland being willing to pay him $7M+.

This has nothing to do with me - or re-signing Nuge a year from now. Russell's $4M contract will be done by then.

What is he though? When he got moved to wing (and finally got some decent linemates), his offense exploded. He scored at a pace of 1.37 P/GP over the last 30 games, good for 6th best pace in the NHL.

Usually Defensive centers are not past their prime when they are 27. They usually play until 35 at least. Nuge played with crap players for how many years. I love Nuge and I was thinking about cap space for Oilers here. Jaytea wanted Nuge for Dumba in his post. We dont need more D man and they certainly need centers. Build through the middle. It was a fair trade even if you CD wouldnt do it. It would be hard for Oilers to do as well. Fans would revolt lol
    Apr. 16, 2020 at 1:16 p.m.
    Found it. It is the button beside. "Trade away player rights" So I dont have to sign the player first. Thanks everyone.
    CD282 liked this.
    Apr. 16, 2020 at 2:02 p.m.

1. If the asking price was the good 'ole FC's, I doubt anyone trades for him. Every team already has never-where's or head cases on the roster, not many want more.
    2. Sign and trades do not happen.
    3. I feel that Edmonton wants the Puljujarvi story to end and would not match any offer sheet that he is given.
    4, How can you lose a trade when the guy that you are sending out has no value?

5-ish. You are assuming that other teams want Yakopov v2.0, but nobody does.
    Apr. 16, 2020 at 3:37 p.m.
    Quoting: Yojimbo
    1. If the asking price was the good 'ole FC's, I doubt anyone trades for him. Every team already has never-where's or head cases on the roster, not many want more.
    2. Sign and trades do not happen.
    3. I feel that Edmonton wants the Puljujarvi story to end and would not match any offer sheet that he is given.
    4, How can you lose a trade when the guy that you are sending out has no value?

5-ish. You are assuming that other teams want Yakopov v2.0, but nobody does.

Hmm disagree with almost all of this. No way to prove one way or another so its kind of a moot point to say definitively to anything but the only thing I can say is what I would do.

- I still want Puljujarvi. If I was a GM I would still want this guy. I'd like to believe that there is a chance someone else in the NHL shares my thought process on him.
    - The sign and trade thing is just in theory. There isn't anything stopping a team from doing it IF they wanted to. Either way this was just to make the 1x3 contract work but that is besides the point here. IDC either way for this it wasn't an important part. I even said JP wouldn't probably sign that. He'd want 1 or max 2 years at that money.
    - If Edm wanted the JP thing to end, he'd already be gone...... They lose nothing by keeping him and hoping he turns it around if he's worthless right? They gain at the very least hope for him to dominate to the point someone, like me for example, takes an interest in him. Giving him away for a 7th round pick is pointless.
    - JP has value. Value is determined by what someone is willing to pay. If it doesn't match what EDM wants, then the trade doesn't happen, that's all. That doesn't mean he has no value. He doesn't have the value EDM is wanting for him is all. They are keeping the value expected for him high so that future players cannot not just hold out to get what they want.
    - Literally two other teams acquired Yakupov after his EDM days. Soooo yeah Im pretty sure there are teams still interested. Just not in the price EDM is willing to let him go for.

No one can prove one way another, can only say what we would do. If I would do it, there's at least a chance another team is also interested. One thing is for sure, you cannot possibly say for sure that no team is interested.
    CD282 liked this.
    Apr. 17, 2020 at 10:30 a.m.
    Did you see your D next year. Russel for 1.5 million is excellent.

Why are you trading him then? Kings are going to let their young D play next year and don't need someone who is making $4 million for slowing down the team. 1.5 may be the actual cash but the $4 million cap hit is way too high.
    Apr. 17, 2020 at 11:32 a.m.
    Why are you trading him then? Kings are going to let their young D play next year and don't need someone who is making $4 million for slowing down the team. 1.5 may be the actual cash but the $4 million cap hit is way too high.

We are trading him for the exact reason you said. We have a young D this is Nhl ready and will be brought up. In fact we have so many D right now and our GM just drafted another D in the last draft. Not sure why, but I am not the actual GM and have no control. That is a great idea to play all your young D at once said no one ever. Good luck
    Apr. 17, 2020 at 1:39 p.m.
    We are trading him for the exact reason you said. We have a young D this is Nhl ready and will be brought up. In fact we have so many D right now and our GM just drafted another D in the last draft. Not sure why, but I am not the actual GM and have no control. That is a great idea to play all your young D at once said no one ever. Good luck

Didn't say they were going to play all at once, get the facts straight
    Apr. 17, 2020 at 1:51 p.m.
    Didn't say they were going to play all at once, get the facts straight

Well you got only 4 D signed for next year, so you better get signing.
    Doughty
    Anderson
    Roy
    McDermid
    But you have 1 RFA in Walker, so you need 3 or 4 more signed or brought up.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll