Forums/Armchair-GM

can canada get more nhl or ahl teams

Created by: Saskleaf
Team: 2019-20 Custom Team
Initial Creation Date: May 19, 2020
Published: May 19, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Is it crazy to think Canada get a new nhl team or ahl team? If we do, I think Quebec is the most likely. Next, an ontario team, such as toronto 2.0, Hamilton or Kitchener. And if a new team does not go to one of those 2 provinces, it goes to saskcatchewan, likely saskatoon. Then maybe the Maritimes, Halifax or ST johns. AHL teams might be more likely than nhl, I think. Ignore the players on here. By the way, expansion or relocate? I think expansion but you never know.
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
10$999,999,999$11,268,333$0$422,500$988,731,666
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$817,500$817,500
C, LW
RFA - 5
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$700,000$700,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$730,833$730,833 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$747,500$747,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
C, LW, RW
RFA - 3
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$925,000$925,000
RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$737,500$737,500
LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$809,167$809,167
RD
RFA - 4
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$755,833$755,833 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$795,000$795,000
RD
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 19, 2020 at 11:58 p.m.
Quoting: swinny
Agreed. But the Trashers were bought dirt cheap as well. Even with that infastructure in place, does the 'Peg get an expansion team?? I am gonna say no.

With the last bid for Quebec City - with a new arena and very strong QJMHL franchise making money in the Ramparts, AND Videotron being on of the backers of the bid,it was still no. If the Panthers were sold tomorrow to that group, and with that immediate infrastructure in place, does the NHL still say no?

Lastly Seattle HAD NO infastructure and all. Same with Vegas. Just owners with pockets deeper than the Marianas Trench. New buildings for both locations are being or were built. The NHL did not shy away, because that expansion fee could be handled.

Now is that a function of the financial standing of the potential owners? 🤷‍♂️. But Videotron makes money just like Molsons. Leaves you to wonder.....

Thrashers were bought dirt cheap bc their ownership group was basically having a civil war and the NHL needed to find an owernship group who can buy the team basically over night and be able to support the team....That thrashers situation was ugly and Winnipeg benefit from just being waiting patiently being in the right place a tt the right time.

Seattle and Vega have populations that dwarf Canadian cities and/or markets that the NHL saw major incentives to invest in. Canadian markets really don't check those boxes, it really doesnt grow the game. There was a major incentive to be the first pro team in Vegas...there is a major incentive to have another pro team in Seattle who has a population of the metropolitan area of 3.5m people. Just like Houston who has a population of 7m in the metro area......And thats their ultimate goal, expand their footprint in the US so they increase the leagues net worth in markets such as terse

I would love to see another Canadian team, but its just the reality right now...
May 20, 2020 at 12:00 a.m.
Quoting: Random2152
I think they are the ones who own it, or at least have some interest in it,

Quebecor has been vocal about wanting to bring back a team to QC, but who knows NHL might not want to do business with that group bc they have pissed them off. If its not them, a group of investors coming together, I would have my doubts for long term success in that market
May 20, 2020 at 12:04 a.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
Exactly. California alone has a bigger population then all of Canada; the marketing dollars aren't there, the TV contracts aren't there, and hockey is more a global sport then ever and more American players then ever and growing...hockey may be Canada's sport but that's like calling football Texas's sport. Canada's population alone is barely growing just doesn't make sense.

Even right now, it cant be great for Canadian ownership groups who have to pay their players salary in US dollars...Katz in Edmonton has to sign a 13m USD (18.1m CND) cheque to McDavid July 1. Leafs can handle it but July 1 they have 58.3m USD in Signing Bonus money....small ownership groups that is a huge strain to be able to do

Those signing bonus heavy contracts with a weak Canadian dollar has to be a nightmare for some Ownership groups.

Its just the time for another Canadian team especially if it wants to be competitive early
ChiHawk liked this.
May 20, 2020 at 12:08 a.m.
Quoting: coga16
Even right now, it cant be great for Canadian ownership groups who have to pay their players salary in US dollars...Katz in Edmonton has to sign a 13m USD (18.1m CND) cheque to McDavid July 1. Those signing bonus heavy contracts with a weak Canadian dollar has to be a nightmare for some Ownership groups.

Its just the time for another Canadian team especially if it wants to be competitive early

I just don't think a population of 36M can support a 7th team. Ticket sales, TV contracts, Advertising, Merchandise just aren't there to support one today let alone adding another. I could see one of the Canadian teams moving possibly but way too much money and population in other markets in the US.
May 20, 2020 at 12:09 a.m.
I just don't think a population of 36M can support a 7th team. Ticket sales, TV contracts, Advertising, Merchandise just aren't there to support one today let alone adding another. I could see one of the Canadian teams moving possibly but way too much money and population in other markets in the US.

well they already have 7 now, and they barely can with the Sens. I agree I just see the Sens being relocated within Canada as the only option for a new market
May 20, 2020 at 12:13 a.m.
Go leafs go
Exactly. California alone has a bigger population then all of Canada; the marketing dollars aren't there, the TV contracts aren't there, and hockey is more a global sport then ever and more American players then ever and growing...hockey may be Canada's sport but that's like calling football Texas's sport. Canada's population alone is barely growing just doesn't make sense.

If california has a bigger population than canada, why don't they have more teams? Simple answer. Canada like hockey more. Lets face it, not many people in california like to watch hockey. It makes more sense to put a team in Canada to me (even if it doesn't to Betman) because there is a higher density of fans.
May 20, 2020 at 12:25 a.m.
well they already have 7 now, and they barely can with the Sens. I agree I just see the Sens being relocated within Canada as the only option for a new market

Sorry mistyped 8th team. Yes, that's the issue, they can support 7 teams adding an 8th makes no sense with only 36M people
May 20, 2020 at 12:29 a.m.
Edited May 20, 2020 at 11:28 a.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
If california has a bigger population than canada, why don't they have more teams? Simple answer. Canada like hockey more. Lets face it, not many people in california like to watch hockey. It makes more sense to put a team in Canada to me (even if it doesn't to Betman) because there is a higher density of fans.

Thank you captain obvious but that's not the point. The point is Canada is not a very populated place to support 8 teams and advertisers and TV contracts know this. Just look at hockey night in canada compared to Monday night football, or Sunday night football...hell even Thursday night football. Hockey Night in Canada looks like a college division 2 TV production comparably. Hockey is becoming more popular worldwide, you have the US who's population is growing exponentially and hockey is as well in the US and then Canada's population is relatively stagnant so their market share is shrinking.
gregb569 liked this.
May 20, 2020 at 2:03 a.m.
Thrashers were bought dirt cheap bc their ownership group was basically having a civil war and the NHL needed to find an owernship group who can buy the team basically over night and be able to support the team....That thrashers situation was ugly and Winnipeg benefit from just being waiting patiently being in the right place a tt the right time.

Seattle and Vega have populations that dwarf Canadian cities and/or markets that the NHL saw major incentives to invest in. Canadian markets really don't check those boxes, it really doesnt grow the game. There was a major incentive to be the first pro team in Vegas...there is a major incentive to have another pro team in Seattle who has a population of the metropolitan area of 3.5m people. Just like Houston who has a population of 7m in the metro area......And thats their ultimate goal, expand their footprint in the US so they increase the leagues net worth in markets such as terse

I would love to see another Canadian team, but its just the reality right now...

Agreed again. Expansion is a US thing. Relocation is a different beast though. Not as much planning involved outside of a market with existing infastructure.

For me, I still believe the Vegas is a crap shoot (pun intended) with the NFL coming. I could be wrong. The Vegas market is unlike any other, and I give Bettman full marks for having the balls in having the NHL being the 2nd sports league to venture there (if you count the CFL lol, that was the first). Seattle for years imo was a natural fit for the league. Houston for sure on the short list. Too large a market not to be. But I do believe for that to work a new arena is needed. There is no need to "expand" the league in Canada or the financial footprint here. Too inherent to suggest it can be done. Any growth of the game takes place outside. But, unlike possible sites in the US where new arenas are needed, a couple Canadian cities have them.

So if an Arizona or a Miami relocates..... I can see Quebec as a very viable option. As an expansion franchise - no.
arafay liked this.
May 20, 2020 at 4:34 a.m.
One of the main reasons a relocation worked to WPG was the non hockey buisness opportunities in WPG that will help True North reach break even faster. The bigges example of which is True North square. It was also easiest to relocate to. However Vegas was a good new franchise as it created a hockey culture in that area.

Therefore, I think if there is a relocation (I’m looking at FLA) it’s probably to Quebec because it has much of what WPG had 9 years ago. I don’t want to say Quebec City is underdeveloped but like WPG it can be developed further. I don’t think the same can be said about Hamilton to the same extent as Hamilton is already a business hub. I also don’t think it would be too fair to quebec as they have been trying hard at a franchise for a while now. It’s also important to note that an established Canadian market will not get an expansion team because the nhl needs fallback cities for struggling teams like Florida and Arizona. It takes a lot of money and effort to relocate a franchise for the nhl so moving them around often cannot be done. If a team relocated it has to be to a sure bet place

If an expansion, probably a bigger US city.
May 20, 2020 at 6:05 a.m.
Sorry mistyped 8th team. Yes, that's the issue, they can support 7 teams adding an 8th makes no sense with only 36M people

It would depend on where it's located IMO. The Greater Golden Horseshoe has a population of over 9M with only 1 team, they could easily support another. The trouble is, the one team that's already there has veto power. And if you try to locate the team in the western portion of this region - Hamilton has been suggested here - both Toronto and Buffalo have veto power. Absolutely zero chance of Hamilton getting approved, IMO. Whether Hamilton, a somewhat depressed working class city, could support a team is a moot point.
May 20, 2020 at 6:18 a.m.
The Expansion Era is over. We're at 32 teams and that's where we'll stay for the foreseeable future. We may still see a relocation or two, but no Canadian location will be considered for a US franchise. Even with the Sens, I have a tough time seeing them moving to say Quebec City - I don't see how a pathway to sustainability is easier there than in Ottawa. The Senators need a fresh start via a new owner, not a new city.
May 20, 2020 at 7:18 a.m.
gregb569
Quoting: Skyraider112
Quebec should definitely get the Nordiques back. If not expansion than relocate Florida. Regina could work really well. Hamilton wouldn't be a bad idea either. Halifax is tricky just cause the economy in the Atlantic provinces is so fragile. A place like Mississauga would also work

Being from Halifax/Maritimes this is true. When the Moose had Mackinnon/Drouin those games were must see and selling out. Mind you, we were the best team in the CHL that year and tickets were under $50 dollars..

Not many people here can/will pay hundreds of dollars to most likely watch a crappy team
CD282 liked this.
May 20, 2020 at 10:35 a.m.
Quoting: swinny
Agreed again. Expansion is a US thing. Relocation is a different beast though. Not as much planning involved outside of a market with existing infastructure.

For me, I still believe the Vegas is a crap shoot (pun intended) with the NFL coming. I could be wrong. The Vegas market is unlike any other, and I give Bettman full marks for having the balls in having the NHL being the 2nd sports league to venture there (if you count the CFL lol, that was the first). Seattle for years imo was a natural fit for the league. Houston for sure on the short list. Too large a market not to be. But I do believe for that to work a new arena is needed. There is no need to "expand" the league in Canada or the financial footprint here. Too inherent to suggest it can be done. Any growth of the game takes place outside. But, unlike possible sites in the US where new arenas are needed, a couple Canadian cities have them.

So if an Arizona or a Miami relocates..... I can see Quebec as a very viable option. As an expansion franchise - no.

Only see Florida, I have a feeling that the league is tapped out at 32 right now and if teams do have to relocate...Sens or Florida to QC and Yotes to Houston, After the East and West are balanced when Seattle joins the league im going to assume they wont want to mess with that for a while
May 20, 2020 at 11:30 a.m.
Quoting: gregb569
Being from Halifax/Maritimes this is true. When the Moose had Mackinnon/Drouin those games were must see and selling out. Mind you, we were the best team in the CHL that year and tickets were under $50 dollars..

Not many people here can/will pay hundreds of dollars to most likely watch a crappy team

It's not just about selling tickets, it's about attracting advertisers to reach millions of people and getting a big TV contract.
May 20, 2020 at 11:38 a.m.
Only see Florida, I have a feeling that the league is tapped out at 32 right now and if teams do have to relocate...Sens or Florida to QC and Yotes to Houston, After the East and West are balanced when Seattle joins the league im going to assume they wont want to mess with that for a while

I agree that at 32 teams the league is tapped out for now and for the near future. Atlanta with now over 5M people in the area, could be a market that someone entertains again. The population has doubled since the Thrashers left.
May 20, 2020 at 12:10 p.m.
I agree that at 32 teams the league is tapped out for now and for the near future. Atlanta with now over 5M people in the area, could be a market that someone entertains again. The population has doubled since the Thrashers left.

Atlanta itself is a notorious bad city when it comes to supporting its teams, Its failed there twice and those are not accidents, Its just not a sports mad city that blindly supports its teams.
ChiHawk liked this.
May 20, 2020 at 2:10 p.m.
gregb569
It's not just about selling tickets, it's about attracting advertisers to reach millions of people and getting a big TV contract.

Agreed, which I would say is practically impossible for an Atlantic province.
May 20, 2020 at 4:39 p.m.
Quoting: gregb569
Agreed, which I would say is practically impossible for an Atlantic province.

Which is part of the reason Ottawa will continue to struggle. Unless a new market in Canada has at a bare minimum 500K die hard fans, not population but fans driving merchandising, TV viewership, tickets, then I don't see it.
May 20, 2020 at 4:54 p.m.

Nope. This mini expansion was with a plan for sure. Any relocation will need to ensure the East Wast balance.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll