Forums/Armchair-GM

additional moves likely to happen

Created by: pharrow
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 12, 2020
Published: Jul. 12, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Not a whole lot out there at 3RD. I usually go with TVR but here we are going to go with DeMelo.
Cheap, short contract to PK and fill in some spare minutes.

I don't think there is anyone of quality the penguins can sign in FA to play RW.
3.7 million with no cap room to spare just doesn't cut it.
That number could be smaller if Simon makes more than MIN.
So we are at an impasse there. Which is why I have put Poulin there. It is what it is. No roster is hole free. Unless youth can fill it.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,500,000
1$800,000
6$3,000,000
5$4,500,000
2$870,000
2$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,200,000
Trades
PIT
    There are a number of teams looking for 3C help. MIN is one of them. Lot of trades with him going that way. NJ could be another route. He goes no cost virtually little to no risk as the contract is 1 year. Gamble for whoever takes him. If he's healthy he can play. It's a big if. If he's not, LTIR the contract is covered by insurance no big deal.
    PIT
      This is going to be a little to nothing depth move for WPG.
      Clearly chad doesn't hold some great value, but he's a decent depth piece who can fill in. He isn't waivers eligible so he's going to a team that needs a 7th guy. He probably goes on waivers next year to a team needing help so will move him along. The penguins will hold onto Riikola instead as their 7th guy.
      PIT
        Not sure what the return is going to be but I'm pretty sure Sam is traded. He's not able to crack the lineup here, the forward group is just too deep on the LW and C.
        But that isn't a knock on Sam. He's a good player and finding his feet. The real issue with him is he only has 10 games of waiver eligibility left. That is gonna be an issue.
        I'm not sure he passes through waivers without being picked up somewhere. A team looking for speed and depth on the 4th line will pick him up.
        So he will be moved out.
        It could be you see him attached to a jack johnson trade. As Sam has 3rd line potential. He just needs to keep breaking into his own. He reminds me of a lot of Sundqvist, he just needs a full time shot to get his feet wet. He'll be a fairly productive cheap player when he does go somewhere.
        PIT
        1. Nemeth, Patrik
        Additional Details:
        at first glance I know people will think this trade is crazy.
        But the truth is I don't think POJ is in the long term plans of the penguins. I also don't think Nemeth has DET in his long term plans either. DET picks up a longer term solution for LD that they have control over. They take JJ as the cost of that. JJ is one year and a buy out. He's also been a really healthy defense man his whole career. Something DET needs at this point. As their defense is usually the walking IR.
        It works out well in the long run for both teams. As DET ends up with a 2nd pairing guy at reasonable cost for years and the ability to keep him for 6 years at least.
        Buried
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the ANA
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the PIT
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        23$81,500,000$75,678,509$0$1,882,500$5,821,491
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
        $5,500,000$5,500,000
        LW, RW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 3
        $9,500,000$9,500,000
        C
        NMC
        UFA - 2
        $3,500,000$3,500,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 2
        $4,500,000$4,500,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 4
        $8,700,000$8,700,000
        C
        NMC
        UFA - 5
        $894,167$894,167
        C, LW
        RFA - 4
        $3,000,000$3,000,000
        C, LW
        UFA - 2
        $764,167$764,167 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
        C
        RFA - 3
        $5,300,000$5,300,000
        RW
        NTC
        UFA - 3
        $1,000,000$1,000,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        $750,000$750,000
        C, LW
        UFA - 1
        $3,500,000$3,500,000
        LW, RW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 5
        $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
        LW
        UFA - 2
        $800,000$800,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 1
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $4,100,000$4,100,000
        LD
        M-NTC
        UFA - 3
        $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
        RD
        UFA - 1
        $4,025,175$4,025,175
        LD
        UFA - 5
        $7,250,000$7,250,000
        RD
        M-NTC, NMC
        UFA - 2
        Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
        $1,500,000$1,500,000
        LD
        UFA - 1
        $1,200,000$1,200,000
        RD
        UFA - 4
        $2,500,000$2,500,000
        G
        UFA - 3
        $870,000$870,000
        LD
        UFA - 2
        $4,500,000$4,500,000
        G
        UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 5:42 a.m.
        You'd probably need to sweeten the pot more than that to get Detroit to take a contract thats more than 2 years long on. Theres plenty of other players we could take for better value with shorter term contracts.
        aedoran liked this.
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 7:05 a.m.
        Banned
        Quoting: Seider53
        You'd probably need to sweeten the pot more than that to get Detroit to take a contract thats more than 2 years long on. Theres plenty of other players we could take for better value with shorter term contracts.

it's one year and a buy out.
        And if you see this happening at TDL it's not even a year.
        The buyout cost is the same as playing him a year. so it's a wash.
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 7:08 a.m.
        Quoting: pharrow
        it's one year and a buy out.
        And if you see this happening at TDL it's not even a year.
        The buyout cost is the same as playing him a year. so it's a wash.

That's nearly $1mil of dead cap space for 4 years after the first season... I just don't understand why we would do that when we could take on contracts that only last one or two years, and just let them expire before we need to resign any major contracts.
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 7:56 a.m.
        Banned
        That's nearly $1mil of dead cap space for 4 years after the first season... I just don't understand why we would do that when we could take on contracts that only last one or two years, and just let them expire before we need to resign any major contracts.

it's less than 1 million for 2 of those years. And because you make it up with a rookie contract LD capable of playing 2nd pairing minutes.
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 8:19 a.m.
        Detroit currently has 2 LD Nemeth and Dekeyser, the rest are all prospects. Nemeth isn't great but I'd take him over JJ, Nemeth is cheaper and only 1yr left on his contract. Now JPO could be a good NHL defenseman but he is at least 2-3 years. Value wise it's a fair trade but its one that Detroit can afford to make at this point. Maybe later in the offseason after the draft
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 8:51 a.m.
        Min is not looking for a 3C at all. We have Eriksson Ek, he's the perfect 3C. We need a top 6 center, not a bottom 6 center.
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 9:00 a.m.
        it's less than 1 million for 2 of those years. And because you make it up with a rookie contract LD capable of playing 2nd pairing minutes.

Detroit needs to swing for the fences, their prospect pipeline has a fair few potential bottom 9 forwards and bottom 4 D, they need someone with a shot to be the difference maker at the top. So realistically, its picks or reclamation projects.
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 9:02 a.m.
        Not enough money for DeMelo. He will get at least $2,25M if not $3M on a multi-year deal.
        SevenLeg liked this.
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 9:09 a.m.
        Banned
        Detroit needs to swing for the fences, their prospect pipeline has a fair few potential bottom 9 forwards and bottom 4 D, they need someone with a shot to be the difference maker at the top. So realistically, its picks or reclamation projects.

you will never get that for Rental Nemeth.

Detroit lacks real defense prospects with substance that can be ready in 1 year. That's an end of conversation on that.

Quoting: bhavikp27
        Not enough money for DeMelo. He will get at least $2,25M if not $3M on a multi-year deal.

I don't think his play has earned him that. He had 0 points in 10 games with WPG. How his playoffs go will be telling.
        Only 10 assists in 50 games with OTT.
        And while defense men are worth more than just their points at times. He's a 3rd pairing guy on most teams.
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 9:17 a.m.
        you will never get that for Rental Nemeth.

Detroit lacks real defense prospects with substance that can be ready in 1 year. That's an end of conversation on that.

The aim is not to have the defenceman ready in a Year. Next year is a write off already. Debatably so is the year after. in 22/23 We can reasonably hope that Hronek and Seider have matured into safe top 4 guys. A minimum of one of McIsaac, Tuomisto, Johansson or Lindstrom should be in that top 4 too. That fourth spot is probably a vet. The position of Need is a top 2 guy. PO Joseph is not that.

Yes Rental Nemeth does not get that, but then we don't take a cap dump in return for Nemeth and instead keep him as a stop gap, using our cap space elsewhere.
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 9:31 a.m.
        Banned

I don't think you really get it.
        They aren't taking a cap dump for Nemeth. They are taking it for POJ.
        I also think it's more than a fair offer. You won't have anyone hand you a decent defensive prospect for nothing. There is always a cost.
        DET has no choice but to build through prospects. 20 million in bad contracts next year. No FA is walking into that.
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 9:34 a.m.
        Banned
        Quoting: TanSor
        Min is not looking for a 3C at all. We have Eriksson Ek, he's the perfect 3C. We need a top 6 center, not a bottom 6 center.

there are no 2C available in FA.
        unless you are giving up an arm in a leg in a trade for one, you probably aren't finding one.
        It is what it is. At the end of the day you still need someone who can play center.
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 9:35 a.m.
        I don't think you really get it.
        They aren't taking a cap dump for Nemeth. They are taking it for POJ.
        I also think it's more than a fair offer. You won't have anyone hand you a decent defensive prospect for nothing. There is always a cost.
        DET has no choice but to build through prospects. 20 million in bad contracts next year. No FA is walking into that.

Right, but what I am saying is that if they are taking a cap dump POJ isn't what they need. They need to swing for the fences, and their best path to that is acquiring draft picks. The value on the trade probably isn't too bad, but Detroit is not your trade partner here.
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 9:35 a.m.
        there are no 2C available in FA.
        unless you are giving up an arm in a leg in a trade for one, you probably aren't finding one.
        It is what it is. At the end of the day you still need someone who can play center.

We'll likely use Brodin or Dumba to get one. If that doesn't come to fruition, we'll just re-sign Galchenyuk to a 1 year prove it deal since he actually looked pretty good at center for us instead of giving up assets in a trade like we'd have to do for Bjugstad
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 9:40 a.m.
        Banned
        We'll likely use Brodin or Dumba to get one. If that doesn't come to fruition, we'll just re-sign Galchenyuk to a 1 year prove it deal since he actually looked pretty good at center for us instead of giving up assets in a trade like we'd have to do for Bjugstad

i hardly call lat round picks assets.
        And Galchenyuk is not a good player. Bjugstad when healthy is a pretty productive player. His problem is health issues. And when he's not healthy it's to LTIR. Which is covered by insurance.
        You act like you are losing something here. You should be embarrassed. It's like nothing. MIN can only win on the deal. There is no real loss here.
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 9:41 a.m.
        Banned
        Right, but what I am saying is that if they are taking a cap dump POJ isn't what they need. They need to swing for the fences, and their best path to that is acquiring draft picks. The value on the trade probably isn't too bad, but Detroit is not your trade partner here.

you are just arguing for argument sake.
        Swing for the fences with late 2nd round picks. While passing up a 1st rounder developed to NHL playing level. With that mentality DET will never win.
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 9:49 a.m.
        i hardly call lat round picks assets.
        And Galchenyuk is not a good player. Bjugstad when healthy is a pretty productive player. His problem is health issues. And when he's not healthy it's to LTIR. Which is covered by insurance.
        You act like you are losing something here. You should be embarrassed. It's like nothing. MIN can only win on the deal. There is no real loss here.

Uh ok? I'm not embarrassed at all and I'd appreciate if you don't tell me how to feel. Galchenyuk was very solid for us and I'll die on that hill and if you can get a player for free without giving up anything then losing late round picks for a similar player is absolutely losing assets.
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 9:50 a.m.
        you are just arguing for argument sake.
        Swing for the fences with late 2nd round picks. While passing up a 1st rounder developed to NHL playing level. With that mentality DET will never win.

If you look at Detroit's depth chart, its not like they have no D prospects of the calibre of POJ. Its that Seider is their only likely top 2 potential D-man. They need another, and POJ is not that. Maybe they take Drysdale at 4 this year, but then they miss out on the top 6 line driving forward that they lack. Put simply POJ does not fill a position of need for Detroit in particular. They need to look at both the value of trades, but the direction it takes them in. That offer might be better suited to New Jersey or LA for example.
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 10:17 a.m.
        Banned
        If you look at Detroit's depth chart, its not like they have no D prospects of the calibre of POJ. Its that Seider is their only likely top 2 potential D-man. They need another, and POJ is not that. Maybe they take Drysdale at 4 this year, but then they miss out on the top 6 line driving forward that they lack. Put simply POJ does not fill a position of need for Detroit in particular. They need to look at both the value of trades, but the direction it takes them in. That offer might be better suited to New Jersey or LA for example.

LOL yeah keep arguing to argue.
        Dekeyser will be on IR every year. Nemeth will be gone at the end of next year. And then you have all of nothing because no quality FA is going to come to a team that has 20 and 14 million in bad contracts with aged bad players and is constantly finishing in last place.
        POJ fills a need for DET. 2LD. period.
        You don't have one. He's a better prospect than both your current LD prospects that are 19 and 20. And Cholowski is a bust was poorly developed.

But you be you.
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 10:19 a.m.
        Banned
        Uh ok? I'm not embarrassed at all and I'd appreciate if you don't tell me how to feel. Galchenyuk was very solid for us and I'll die on that hill and if you can get a player for free without giving up anything then losing late round picks for a similar player is absolutely losing assets.

I can't help but laugh at you when you are clutching onto Galchenyuk as "help"
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 11:23 a.m.
        I can't help but laugh at you when you are clutching onto Galchenyuk as "help"

That's what you took away from everything I've said? Not that we need a top 6 C and will likely use Brodin or Dumba to make that happen? Not that we shouldn't be giving up assets for a player that doesn't really help us?

I can't blame you for your opinion on Galchenyuk, seems like you're a Pens fan and he looked horrendous in Pittsburgh. Once he was traded to the Wild he looked much better, and I think it was because he fit our system better. He's definitely not the top 6 center we need, but like I said before he will most likely be our last resort option if we can't land the top 6 C that we need in a trade instead of moving picks (even if they're late picks) for a bottom 6 C like Bjugstad. Not to mention he'll almost certainly be cheaper than Bjugstad, I can't imagine Galchenyuk gets more than $2M on a 1 year prove it deal.

Also, if Guerin really wanted Bjugstad, don't you think he would have pushed for him instead of Galchenyuk when we made the Zucker trade?
        gregb569 liked this.
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 11:38 a.m.
        Banned
        That's what you took away from everything I've said? Not that we need a top 6 C and will likely use Brodin or Dumba to make that happen? Not that we shouldn't be giving up assets for a player that doesn't really help us?

I can't blame you for your opinion on Galchenyuk, seems like you're a Pens fan and he looked horrendous in Pittsburgh. Once he was traded to the Wild he looked much better, and I think it was because he fit our system better. He's definitely not the top 6 center we need, but like I said before he will most likely be our last resort option if we can't land the top 6 C that we need in a trade instead of moving picks (even if they're late picks) for a bottom 6 C like Bjugstad. Not to mention he'll almost certainly be cheaper than Bjugstad, I can't imagine Galchenyuk gets more than $2M on a 1 year prove it deal.

Also, if Guerin really wanted Bjugstad, don't you think he would have pushed for him instead of Galchenyuk when we made the Zucker trade?

to answer your question no. The penguins always thought they would get him back to play 3C. That didn't happen and it has caused a depth issue at center for them. McCann is a LW that's where they see him not at center. He's forced there now. That isn't what they wanted. Just like in an ideal world they don't trade him. But cap is a real problem.

And you keep talking about trading for a 2C. who? what team is giving one up? You realize there are a half dozen teams all looking for a legit 2C right?
        It just isn't that easy. To think you are giving up something on Bjugstad here is laughable. 5th or 6th round picks mean almost nothing. You are talking about players with a 5% or less chance of making the NHL. They are basically throw ins because you have to have something going back. It shows how sad this site has become when people think giving up a late round pick for a guy who actually plays for you is "giving up assets". You're high.
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 1:40 p.m.
        Johnson, Joseph for Nemeth

This doesn't help the Penguins. After stupidly gaining up Addison, Joseph is the only defense prospect worth a dang. Marino and Pettersson are young, but Letang isnt.
        Throwing away Joseph to move Johnson is folly.

Plus, the coaches like Johnson. People need to accept that and move on. Sure, $3.25M for him is $1M too much, but you dont throw away your only D prospect to move that. It's simply not necessary (to move him).
        TySmith4Norris and gregb569 liked this.
        Jul. 12, 2020 at 8:56 p.m.
        Banned
        Quoting: Yojimbo
        Johnson, Joseph for Nemeth

This doesn't help the Penguins. After stupidly gaining up Addison, Joseph is the only defense prospect worth a dang. Marino and Pettersson are young, but Letang isnt.
        Throwing away Joseph to move Johnson is folly.

Plus, the coaches like Johnson. People need to accept that and move on. Sure, $3.25M for him is $1M too much, but you dont throw away your only D prospect to move that. It's simply not necessary (to move him).

crosby likes johnson...there is a difference.

And Like I said. I don't think the penguins have POJ in their plans.
        I highly doubt he ever wears a sweater for the penguins.
        Jul. 13, 2020 at 7:37 a.m.
        gregb569
        This terribly bad

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll