Forums/Armchair-GM

I Guess Pietrangelo is Possible

Created by: bunnymcfoo
Team: 2020-21 Vegas Golden Knights
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 25, 2020
Published: Sep. 26, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Look, as a Sharks fan I feel dirty as hell about doing this -and- it's nothing even close to reality, but I wanted to see if I could make the numbers work in any way that even remotely resembles "not absolute crack". As a mortal enemy of the Knights, it's in my best interest if Pietro signs, like, not just not with the Knights but as far away from the Pacific as possible. I'd really like to see him in the Atlantic division - I would LOVE to see him sign with the Panthers, as an example, but the rumors say he wants the Knights. Sigh.

Anyway, this tells me that it's *theoretically* possible for the Knights to get him if the team was prepared to make some *drastic* moves AND he was willing to do 8x7 with a full NMC for, idk, the first five years and a M-NTC with a 10 to 15 team no trade list for the last two years.

I hate that this possibility even exists, no matter how incredibly far-fetched it may be. Please go play in the Eastern conference, Pietro. Maybe go wear crop tops in North Carolina with Joel Edmundson! (I don't care where, just stay out of the Pacific division!)
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$775,000
2$2,000,000
1$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
7$8,000,000
5$4,000,000
2$850,000
Trades
VGK
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (DAL)
Additional Details:
the 2nd is for Tuch
OTT
  1. Fleury, Marc-André
  2. Tuch, Alex
  3. 2020 1st round pick (VGK)
  4. 2021 1st round pick (VGK)
Additional Details:
Gonna take a hell of a lot to move Fleury, but I figure that the Sens take this and then buy him out, play him as backup for a year and *then* buy him out, or bury him in the minors.
DET
  1. Martinez, Alec
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
I feel like you're gonna have to pay someone to take that cap hit - he's not bad, by any means, but woof is he expensive
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$81,174,105$285,772$850,000$325,895
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,900,000$5,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 7
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LW
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,200,000$5,200,000
LD/RD
UFA - 5
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
UFA - 7
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 5
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 2
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
LD
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, RW
RFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 26, 2020 at 1:37 a.m.
What an overpay to move fleury lol
BStinson liked this.
Sep. 26, 2020 at 1:41 a.m.
oh how i suffer
Edited Sep. 26, 2020 at 2:47 a.m.
Quoting: mhockey91
What an overpay to move fleury lol

I wouldn't take that cap hit for less than a couple of low as hell firsts, but I also have ptsd around overpayed underwhelming goalies wink

But this being an overpayment is not what I want to hear - I want to hear "you couldn't pay me enough to take that contract" etc etc thereby making it harder to get Pietro.
Sep. 26, 2020 at 2:02 a.m.
NoWah49
idk why it would take so much to move him. Flower had a .905 this year which isn't horrible
Sep. 26, 2020 at 2:09 a.m.
As a wings fan I'd accept that trade.
Rusty_Bottles and bunnymcfoo liked this.
Sep. 26, 2020 at 2:17 a.m.
OC Guinness Boys
At first look, troll post. But way too much explanation for these dopey moves.

Ah, Sharks fan. It all makes sense.
DillBaley liked this.
Sep. 26, 2020 at 2:21 a.m.
oh how i suffer
Edited Sep. 26, 2020 at 2:47 a.m.
Quoting: NoWah49
idk why it would take so much to move him. Flower had a .905 this year which isn't horrible

Yeah, but the goalie market is wiiiiide open this year, there's a cap freeze, and there's multiple teams that will not be spending to cap - all of which makes moving a contract with a $7 million cap hit potentially difficult. Like, I'd rather take a chance on one of the seven or eight goalies who are available who had better numbers than he did - although, to be fair, none of them played as many games as him. I'd absolutely try for Markström or Lehner or Khudobin - they've all been stellar in both the regular season and the playoffs and wouldn't cost me seven freaking million dollars.

That said, if the Knights buy him out I would absolutely want him to come play for the Sharks, if only for the hilarity of the situation!
NoWah49 liked this.
Sep. 26, 2020 at 2:24 a.m.
oh how i suffer
Quoting: Rusty_Bottles
At first look, troll post. But way too much explanation for these dopey moves.

Ah, Sharks fan. It all makes sense.

My first sentence was literally "it's nothing even close to reality but I wanted to see if I could make the numbers work" - not every AGM roster has to be 100% serious business. It's literally a game we play about a game that's played professionally and as it's only a game, why you heff to be mad?

But you stay classy, my dude!
Sep. 26, 2020 at 2:25 a.m.
oh how i suffer
Quoting: aedoran
As a wings fan I'd accept that trade.

As someone related to most of a small town of Wings fans in Michigan, I would hope so!
Sep. 26, 2020 at 2:35 a.m.
OC Guinness Boys
Quoting: bunnymcfoo
My first sentence was literally "it's nothing even close to reality but I wanted to see if I could make the numbers work" - not every AGM roster has to be 100% serious business. It's literally a game we play about a game that's played professionally and as it's only a game, why you heff to be mad?

But you stay classy, my dude!

If you qualify these trades as being “not realistic” what does it matter if you could make the numbers work?
Sep. 26, 2020 at 2:45 a.m.
oh how i suffer
Edited Sep. 26, 2020 at 2:57 a.m.
If you qualify these trades as being “not realistic” what does it matter if you could make the numbers work?

I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of trades put forth in this here forum on this here website are unrealistic, but even if the terms of these trades were overwrought, the fact is that if the Knights moved those three contracts and Pietrangelo accepted $8m for 7 years and protection (which I genuinely don't think is outside the realm of possibility given that there's only so many contending teams that have cap room) they could make it work with him.

I had fun with this, I (sadly) proved to myself that it's (sadly) within the realm of possible for him to land in Vegas, and I gave myself a nice distraction from watching the Stars lose. Why are you letting your knickers get into such a twist over this?

EDIT: ALSO, we live in a world of miracles and wonders where wild as hell things happen all the time - Joe Pavelski and Corey Perry are teammates and playing in the cup finals with the Dallas Stars in Edmonton in freaking September. Hell has literally frozen over, etc etc and all things are now possible. Not probable, mind, but certainly possible.

EDIT 2, ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: Is it the Del Zotto thing that pissed you off? Because man, you really have to chill. It doesn't matter if he leaves, the Ducks don't need him - y'all have the 6 OA pick in a hella deep draft year, on top of already having a butt-load of good prospects. I'm sure that all of California is going to continue to blow next season too, which means even more] good picks for Anaheim. I know it hurts to let it go, let it go, but let the Vegas Knights of this far-flung weird ass parallel universe have Michael. They clearly need him more than y'all do.
Sep. 26, 2020 at 3:17 a.m.
OC Guinness Boys
I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of trades put forth in this here forum on this here website are unrealistic, but even if the terms of these trades were overwrought, the fact is that if the Knights moved those three contracts and Pietrangelo accepted $8m for 7 years and protection (which I genuinely don't think is outside the realm of possibility given that there's only so many contending teams that have cap room) they could make it work with him.

I had fun with this, I (sadly) proved to myself that it's (sadly) within the realm of possible for him to land in Vegas, and I gave myself a nice distraction from watching the Stars lose. Why are you letting your knickers get into such a twist over this?

EDIT: ALSO, we live in a world of miracles and wonders where wild as hell things happen all the time - Joe Pavelski and Corey Perry are teammates and playing in the cup finals with the Dallas Stars in Edmonton in freaking September. Hell has literally frozen over, etc etc and all things are now possible. Not probable, mind, but certainly possible.

EDIT 2, ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: Is it the Del Zotto thing that pissed you off? Because man, you really have to chill. It doesn't matter if he leaves, the Ducks don't need him - y'all have the 6 OA pick in a hella deep draft year, on top of already having a butt-load of good prospects. I'm sure that all of California is going to continue to blow next season too, which means even more] good picks for Anaheim. I know it hurts to let it go, let it go, but let the Vegas Knights of this far-flung weird ass parallel universe have Michael. They clearly need him more than y'all do.

The ****in’ hell? What are you talking about?
Sep. 26, 2020 at 3:36 a.m.
oh how i suffer
The ****in’ hell? What are you talking about?

Oh good lord. Okay. All seriousness, no humor:

1) I wanted to see if there were contracts that Vegas could theoretically move to make cap space for Pietrangelo's sure-to-be-large contract.
2) If Vegas was able to move Flower, Tuch, and Martinez, that would, indeed, give them enough cap space to potentially sign two goalies, a 7D, and a 3rd line RW, in addition to Pietro.
3) These trades weren't extremely well thought out because my priority was finding teams that could absorb those cap hits, not in actually figuring out fair returns, because:
4) I was curious and this was a fun "what if" puzzle I was fiddling around with to distract myself from the Stars losing.
5) Buddy, you have got to learn to lighten up. If you can't find your chill out without help, I highly recommend Wyld marionberry gummies.

also:
6) Your former captain and my former captain are teammates playing for the Stanley Cup in the most unlikely playoffs the NHL has ever seen. My trades were mildly ridiculous and not hyper considered, but literally anything is possible in this wild and weird-ass world we're currently living in.
Sep. 26, 2020 at 3:47 a.m.
If you want someone to take on the entire flurry contract I could see it being expensive but I think that deal works without tuch
Sep. 26, 2020 at 3:51 a.m.
OC Guinness Boys
Oh good lord. Okay. All seriousness, no humor:

1) I wanted to see if there were contracts that Vegas could theoretically move to make cap space for Pietrangelo's sure-to-be-large contract.
2) If Vegas was able to move Flower, Tuch, and Martinez, that would, indeed, give them enough cap space to potentially sign two goalies, a 7D, and a 3rd line RW, in addition to Pietro.
3) These trades weren't extremely well thought out because my priority was finding teams that could absorb those cap hits, not in actually figuring out fair returns, because:
4) I was curious and this was a fun "what if" puzzle I was fiddling around with to distract myself from the Stars losing.
5) Buddy, you have got to learn to lighten up. If you can't find your chill out without help, I highly recommend Wyld marionberry gummies.

also:
6) Your former captain and my former captain are teammates playing for the Stanley Cup in the most unlikely playoffs the NHL has ever seen. My trades were mildly ridiculous and not hyper considered, but literally anything is possible in this wild and weird-ass world we're currently living in.

Do you live in Richmond Annex? I feel I’ve met you.
Sep. 26, 2020 at 4:06 a.m.
oh how i suffer
Quoting: Theozler
If you want someone to take on the entire flurry contract I could see it being expensive but I think that deal works without tuch

Yeah, but if they want to be able to afford Pietrangelo, they're going to need more than just Flower's 7 million off the books. Most of the Vegas forwards have M-NTC with a variety of number of teams on them, so while it might make more sense to try and move Stastny's final year at $6.5 million, that's a) going to be harder to do than moving someone with no trade restrictions, especially when most of the teams that can absorb a large cap hit this year are probably on everyone's no trade list, and b) it's easier to replace a winger, even a damn good winger, than it is to replace a 2C.

None of that is to say that I think they should move Tuch - he's 24, has a crap ton of potential that is still developing, was a goddamn speedy beast during the playoffs this year, and I think in about two seasons his $4.75m contract that runs until 2026 is going to be an absolute steal. Just, you know. At the end of the day there's only so many large contracts a team can handle and sacrifices sometimes get made.
Sep. 26, 2020 at 4:17 a.m.
oh how i suffer
Edited Sep. 26, 2020 at 4:35 a.m.
Do you live in Richmond Annex? I feel I’ve met you.

Since I live a couple hours to the east of the Bay Area and don't typically spend a lot of time chilling with Ducks fans when I make it to games, I can say with some measure of confidence that you've missed out on the actually extremely delightful experience of meeting me. That said, if you're ever at the Tank for a Ducks game after it's safe to go to hockey games again I'd totally be down to get a beer and argue in person about dumb **** like theoretical Vegas rosters.

I actually had a ticket to the Sharks v. Ducks last game of the season. I'm still extremely sad that Covid killed those plans - I was going to get a Dole Whip and toast either Gibson or Miller over their inevitable shut-out of the Sharks. frown Also, there was going to be a Hertl bobblehead. frown Alas.
Sep. 26, 2020 at 4:27 a.m.
OC Guinness Boys
Since I live a couple hours to the east of the Bay Area and don't typically spend a lot of time chilling with Ducks fans when I make it to games, I can say with some measure of confidence that you've missed out on the actually extremely delightful experience of meeting me. That said, if you're ever at the Tank for a Ducks game after it's safe to go to hockey games again I'd totally be down to get a beer and argue in person about dumb **** like theoretical Vegas rosters.

I actually had a ticket to the Sharks v. Ducks last game of the season. I'm still extremely sad that Covid killed those plans - I was going to get a Dole Whip and toast either Gibson or Miller over their inevitable shut-out of the Sharks. frown

Roseville. I knew it!
Sep. 26, 2020 at 4:34 a.m.
oh how i suffer
Roseville. I knew it!

Oh, hey! I did live there for a couple of years back in the late aughts! But nope. I'm somewhere in the nebulous region between Roseville and Reno.

Roseville's cool tho. They've got pretty decent ice and for a while I had a wistful pipe dream that the Barracuda might move there.
Sep. 26, 2020 at 4:42 a.m.
OC Guinness Boys
Oh, hey! I did live there for a couple of years back in the late aughts! But nope. Close, but no cigar.

Roseville's cool tho. They've got pretty decent ice there and for a while I had a wistful pipe dream that the Barracuda might move there.

Score one for me, right? That counts.
bunnymcfoo liked this.
Sep. 26, 2020 at 4:47 a.m.
oh how i suffer
Score one for me, right? That counts.

Ehhhhhhhh, I don't know, that's kind of like Seguin almost but not quite getting a goal tonight. But sure, why not? You pick up a point!

I'm gonna go crash out now, but you have a good weekend!
Rusty_Bottles liked this.
Sep. 26, 2020 at 6:57 a.m.
I think you are vastly overestimating what it would take to move Fleury--the two teams with the most cap space actually need a goalie (Det & Ott). I think a draft pick plus Tuch would be sufficient as a sweetner. Keep the extra 1st rounder instead of gaining 2nd this year.
bunnymcfoo liked this.
Sep. 26, 2020 at 7:17 a.m.
Keep dreaming and stop projecting your fears about what it would take to move those awful Sharks contracts.
Sep. 26, 2020 at 8:29 a.m.
Banned
Detroit accepts, Wouldn't mind hometown kid Alex Martinez on the roster to mentor the younguns.
bunnymcfoo liked this.
Sep. 26, 2020 at 12:56 p.m.
oh how i suffer
Edited Sep. 26, 2020 at 4:30 p.m.
Quoting: DillBaley
Keep dreaming and stop projecting your fears about what it would take to move those awful Sharks contracts.

There's not a thing on earth that's gonna move 2/3 of our terrible defense contracts for at least 3-4 years, and the only real option to move Burns before that point is the Seattle draft. Any Sharks fan who says otherwise is dreaming - but that doesn't change the fact that if the Knights want Pietrangelo they're going to have some difficult choices about which contracts to move.

Thanks for your *super* helpful comment tho!
Sep. 26, 2020 at 2:55 p.m.
There's not a thing on earth that's gonna move 2/3 of our terrible defense contractsfornat least 3-4 years and the only real option to move Burns before that point is the Seattle draft. Any Sharks fan who says otherwise is dreaming - but that doesn't change the fact that if the Knights want Pietrangelo they're going to have some difficult choices about which contracts to move.

Thanks for your *super* helpful comment tho!

Here's something helpful: this is quite possibly the WORST AGM I've seen yet, and is tantamount to blatant trolling. Nobody in their right mind actually thinks MAF, who is more than capable as a 1b, would take Tuch and 2 1sts to move the last 2 years of his contract or that MAF should be buried in the minor league.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll