SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Injury retirement?

Dec. 8, 2020 at 1:52 p.m.
What happens to the cap situation for a team if a player like Ferland retires because of injury?
Dec. 8, 2020 at 2:45 p.m.
torontos finest
LTIR until his contract expires. Zetterberg, Hossa and Franzen are all retired yet still cost their various teams a salary/cap hit each season.
Dec. 8, 2020 at 3:19 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
That player becomes a LTIR contract like Zetterberg, Boychuk, Gaborik, Hossa, Niskanen ( suspended without pay )
Dec. 8, 2020 at 4:10 p.m.
Thanks
Dec. 9, 2020 at 8:58 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
That player becomes a LTIR contract like Zetterberg, Boychuk, Gaborik, Hossa, Niskanen ( suspended without pay )

If niskanen actually turns his papers in, i think his contract just becomes null. idk if it would go into ltir status. he doesnt have an injury so he cant exactly be put anywhere except an active roster. they can keep his cap hit. but i think with niskanen (rare example) his money just comes off the books. Where as guys with major injuries (callahan, boychuk, hossa, savard, gaborik, etc.) they just throw on LTIR and pay out the rest of their contract with most of that being paid by insurance claims until the contract is up or bought out.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Dec. 9, 2020 at 9:31 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
If someone officially retires, their contract gets voided and they don’t get paid or count against the cap. This is the case with Niskanen and probably Boychuk. (Since he did officially announce retirement.) And for the handful of backdiving deals that are now illegal in the NHL, there may be a cap recapture penalty for the team that signed the contract. (ie. Weber, Suter, Parise, Luongo)

If someone has a career ending injury, they could stay on LTIR and get paid the remainder of their contract by insurance. Having a player on LTIR allows teams to exceed the cap by the amount of their contract. So essentially it’s the same as if they didn’t have the contract anymore, except the team can’t accrue cap space. (Or accrue less of it if they’re further away from the cap.) This has happened with Zetterberg, Kesler, Gaborik, Hossa, Franzen, and others.
hanson493 liked this.
Dec. 9, 2020 at 10:10 a.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: hanson493
If niskanen actually turns his papers in, i think his contract just becomes null. idk if it would go into ltir status. he doesnt have an injury so he cant exactly be put anywhere except an active roster. they can keep his cap hit. but i think with niskanen (rare example) his money just comes off the books. Where as guys with major injuries (callahan, boychuk, hossa, savard, gaborik, etc.) they just throw on LTIR and pay out the rest of their contract with most of that being paid by insurance claims until the contract is up or bought out.

As I said Niskanen is right now suspended without pay since he has retired but still is under contract
Dec. 9, 2020 at 10:14 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
As I said Niskanen is right now suspended without pay since he has retired but still is under contract

yeah but even if he is "under contract" if he officially retires and turns his retirement papers in, his contract just vanished. theres some back and forth between the team. he is suspended without pay right now because the team is trying to get him to come back.

edit: CF doesnt even have him on the team if you look at the depth chart. as i said his contract is gone and so is the cap hit.
Dec. 9, 2020 at 1:07 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: hanson493
yeah but even if he is "under contract" if he officially retires and turns his retirement papers in, his contract just vanished. theres some back and forth between the team. he is suspended without pay right now because the team is trying to get him to come back.

edit: CF doesnt even have him on the team if you look at the depth chart. as i said his contract is gone and so is the cap hit.

If you look at the Flyers team page he’s listed as suspended without pay
Dec. 9, 2020 at 5:52 p.m.
Bergland retired (basically quit) midseason a couple of years ago in BUF. They terminated his contract for cause and it disappeared.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll