Forums/Armchair-GM

Pacioretty

Created by: BeterChiarelli
Team: 2020-21 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 9, 2020
Published: Dec. 9, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Kassian is included to make the cap work knowing that Neal kills the deal. The return Vegas gets is more substantial than what they lost Schmidt for, and all Edmonton asks is they retain a league-minimum amount in order to accommodate a full 23-man roster. There's the added benefit of Vegas not worrying about trading within the Canadian half of the Pacific division, as the two clubs are unlikely to meet until next season, similar to the Schmidt-to-VAN trade.

Vegas finds $3.1M in cap room and recoups some assets to fill in their prospect pool. I'd honestly be willing to go up to the 2022 1st Round Pick with more retention on Patches or a lesser prospect going their way. Pacioretty further elevates Edmonton's offensive prowess and his term is incredibly survivable.

Expansion protection in a 7-3-1 format, as the expectation is that Klefbom may be ineligible for expansion:

(7) RNH, Draisatil, Yamamoto, Pacioretty, McDavid, winner of Puljujarvi vs Kahun, Turris
(3) Nurse, Bear, Jones
(1) Koskinen
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,250,000
Trades
EDM
  1. Pacioretty, Max ($700,000 retained)
VGK
  1. Benson, Tyler
  2. Kassian, Zack
  3. 2022 2nd round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$80,760,699$341,534$730,000$739,301

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 5
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$6,300,000$6,300,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 6
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$975,000$975,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
G
NTC
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$875,000$875,000
LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 9, 2020 at 12:15 p.m.
That Paccioretty trade will not get it done. He is a good two way first line player, gonna need to add more
Dec. 9, 2020 at 12:20 p.m.
Quine? Ugh.

And no thanks on the patches trade. He's 32... I'd rather target Killorn out of Tampa Bay. Millions cheaper and plays the type of 2-way game that would compliment McDavid IMO.
Dec. 9, 2020 at 12:20 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Pond_Duck
That Paccioretty trade will not get it done. He is a good two way first line player, gonna need to add more

Depending on what Vegas is up to, they might not be able to take the best deal possible (see: Nate Schmidt).

I do mention that I'm willing to bump the 2nd to a 1st so long as Vegas retains a bit more. I genuinely expect Edmonton to push hard for Raanta by the trade deadline: need an asset somewhere to make that possible.
Pond_Duck liked this.
Dec. 9, 2020 at 12:23 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
Depending on what Vegas is up to, they might not be able to take the best deal possible (see: Nate Schmidt).

I do mention that I'm willing to bump the 2nd to a 1st so long as Vegas retains a bit more. I genuinely expect Edmonton to push hard for Raanta by the trade deadline: need an asset somewhere to make that possible.

Yes it does depend on what Vegas is willing to take, but I think it would benefit them if they just didn’t trade him and let him play this year. He played well during the playoffs, he showed he could be a valuable two way player.
Dec. 9, 2020 at 12:25 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: CD282
Quine? Ugh.

And no thanks on the patches trade. He's 32... I'd rather target Killorn out of Tampa Bay. Millions cheaper and plays the type of 2-way game that would compliment McDavid IMO.

Fourth line center that isn't Khaira and needs to really only play the penalty kill? There's an issue of affordability to be considered too.

I don't think any Tampa player is waiving to come to Edmonton given taxes, climate, and having just won a cup. Pacioretty's at least played in a higher-taxed market with a relatively similar climate, and it could be argued that Edmonton is closer to Vegas in terms of winning a cup than Tampa is. Both Killorn and Pacioretty have some inherent risk in declining with age, but I'm not super worried about Pacioretty given his term: Max put up nearly a point-per-game last season and has done nothing in Vegas but build upon his bad season in Montreal. I don't see many other ways of getting out of that awful Kassian deal while being able to upgrade the forwards up front. I'm all ears.
Dec. 9, 2020 at 12:34 p.m.
In Connor We Trust
I think Vegas would want Nurse for Pacioretty
Mark_Kelley liked this.
Dec. 9, 2020 at 12:40 p.m.
I’m just having trouble seeing a point behind adding max. Nuge and kahun can play top six lw spot. The term in his deal isn’t favourable kinda feels like a Neal 2.0. Better than Neal yea but age and term and cap hit I’d pass on
CD282 liked this.
Dec. 9, 2020 at 12:44 p.m.
Fourth line center that isn't Khaira and needs to really only play the penalty kill? There's an issue of affordability to be considered too.

I don't think any Tampa player is waiving to come to Edmonton given taxes, climate, and having just won a cup. Pacioretty's at least played in a higher-taxed market with a relatively similar climate, and it could be argued that Edmonton is closer to Vegas in terms of winning a cup than Tampa is. Both Killorn and Pacioretty have some inherent risk in declining with age, but I'm not super worried about Pacioretty given his term: Max put up nearly a point-per-game last season and has done nothing in Vegas but build upon his bad season in Montreal. I don't see many other ways of getting out of that awful Kassian deal while being able to upgrade the forwards up front. I'm all ears.

Your perspective on the Kassian deal is off, if you want to work on a problem I'd suggest you start there.
Timmah007 liked this.
Dec. 9, 2020 at 12:57 p.m.
Kovid Klaw
rather have haas over quine
Dec. 9, 2020 at 1:06 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Your perspective on the Kassian deal is off, if you want to work on a problem I'd suggest you start there.

No it's not. Until Holland moves that contract, it expires, or Neal is offloaded in some capacity, it will firmly be the second-worst contract on this team. I'd argue that Archibald's is the third-worst, and it it wasn't for Patrick Russell's inability to produce at the NHL level, I'd have him as the #4RW.

Overpaying for replaceable talent is a sin in this league, and it's one that Edmonton commits far too often for my liking. They overpaid Kassian in both term and AAV: with a possible Puljujarvi resurgence and Lavoie being less than 2 years away (could be as soon as training camp or next year's), Kassian's new contract has been nothing shy of a bad investment. All I have to do is look at his play outside of the small window in time where he was productive enough to push his price to where it is: he's an okay third-line forward, but comes with the risk of being suspended for chunks of the season or stuck in the penalty box. Would you rather have Kassian or Connolly?

Even if Puljujarvi flounders, Kassian should never have been a long-term option for a top-six winger. If his ask was too much, there were names on the market Edmonton would be much better off with in a similar role. More productive wingers that had more of a claim to a middle-six role than Zack were signed for less than he did this offseason. Covid be damned, it was still a bad investment.
Dec. 9, 2020 at 1:55 p.m.
Sharks would only move sorensen if it meant getting rid of his contract for a late pick or something like that. This kind of achieves the opposite. Would rather send him elsewhere where we don’t take on any extra cap.
Dec. 9, 2020 at 2:10 p.m.
No it's not. Until Holland moves that contract, it expires, or Neal is offloaded in some capacity, it will firmly be the second-worst contract on this team. I'd argue that Archibald's is the third-worst, and it it wasn't for Patrick Russell's inability to produce at the NHL level, I'd have him as the #4RW.

Overpaying for replaceable talent is a sin in this league, and it's one that Edmonton commits far too often for my liking. They overpaid Kassian in both term and AAV: with a possible Puljujarvi resurgence and Lavoie being less than 2 years away (could be as soon as training camp or next year's), Kassian's new contract has been nothing shy of a bad investment. All I have to do is look at his play outside of the small window in time where he was productive enough to push his price to where it is: he's an okay third-line forward, but comes with the risk of being suspended for chunks of the season or stuck in the penalty box. Would you rather have Kassian or Connolly?

Even if Puljujarvi flounders, Kassian should never have been a long-term option for a top-six winger. If his ask was too much, there were names on the market Edmonton would be much better off with in a similar role. More productive wingers that had more of a claim to a middle-six role than Zack were signed for less than he did this offseason. Covid be damned, it was still a bad investment.

Going after kass for being a bad contract feels like being too picky. He’s a solid option that can play anywhere in the line up to police the game his way which I’d rather see him in an oilers jersey than a rivals jersey even if that means paying him slightly more than the ideal amount. He’s a terrific skater tough as nails and very well liked in the dressing room. If want to trade him so be it but if the reason is because of his contract I’d have to say that’s for the wrong reasons.
CD282 liked this.
Dec. 9, 2020 at 2:13 p.m.
Sorensen is cheaper and having a massive year so far in Sweden with24 points in 14 games. I think I’ll keep him over Chiasson.
Dec. 9, 2020 at 2:49 p.m.

Kassian is producing 1st line number and being paid 3rd line money. There's nothing remotely bad about that contract. Sure it would have been lower if signed after COVID became a thing, but there was no way Holland could have predicted that.
Dec. 9, 2020 at 2:57 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Kassian is producing 1st line number and being paid 3rd line money. There's nothing remotely bad about that contract. Sure it would have been lower if signed after COVID became a thing, but there was no way Holland could have predicted that.

His career production is not first-line rate, and he quit producing at that rate when he signed his extension. Sample sizes.
Dec. 9, 2020 at 3:02 p.m.
There were 372 regular forwards in the NHL last year, 12 per team times 31 teams. Of those, Kassian was 58th in 5v5 P/60 (the top-93 players can be considered 1st liners). There were 193 forwards who earned more than $3.2M (AAV) last year, meaning that salary rate is a high-end 3rd line value.

Kassian is tied for 77th among NHL forwards for goals scored at 5v5 over the past 2 years, tied with guys like Barzal, Wheeler, Dadonov, Keller and Landeskog - all of whom played more minutes than he did. He's been full value for $3.2M. Whether he can keep that up over the next 4 years is anybody's guess, but even if he can't and gets relegated to the 3rd line he still won't be overpaid.
Dec. 9, 2020 at 3:07 p.m.
His career production is not first-line rate, and he quit producing at that rate when he signed his extension. Sample sizes.

He has played a grand total of 14 games since signing the extension and was 5th on the team in 5v5 scoring... what were you saying about small sample sizes??

tears of joy tears of joy tears of joy
Dec. 9, 2020 at 3:24 p.m.
Ban Price trades
He has played a grand total of 14 games since signing the extension and was 5th on the team in 5v5 scoring... what were you saying about small sample sizes??

tears of joy tears of joy tears of joy

If you open up the range of your scope (such as increasing the sample size?) Kassian ranks 99th overall in terms of 5v5 G/60 and 160th over a two-year span in 5v5 P/60. Opening it up to 3 years pushes him to 202nd in 5v5 P/60 overall and a G5v5 G/60 of 132nd overall. How are you seeing 1st line production from this?

What I see is that his recent production (which is good, don't get me wrong) has caused a noticeable bump in his overall ranking as a forward in the NHL. However, Kassian had a very hot November 2019, going 6-4-10. The man had more goals that month than he tends to have points in a month. I'm not suggesting that these 10 points must be ignored in order to perceive what Kassian truly is - they hold some weight - but there's a strong recency bias reflected in his contract.

Over the three-year period, Kassian most closely compares (in terms of 5v5 P/60) with Drake Caggiula, Artturi Lehkonen, Nick Ritchie, Jesperi Kotkaniemi, and Warren Foegele. None of these men make over $2.5M, and those that signed new deals are on one-year deals. Obviously there's a covid factor here, but if these are the comparable players, how do you justify the term? How does he swing a four-year deal?
Dec. 9, 2020 at 3:34 p.m.
If you open up the range of your scope (such as increasing the sample size?) Kassian ranks 99th overall in terms of 5v5 G/60 and 160th over a two-year span in 5v5 P/60. Opening it up to 3 years pushes him to 202nd in 5v5 P/60 overall and a G5v5 G/60 of 132nd overall.

... and his salary will be something like 190th. Seems about right.

What I see is that his recent production (which is good, don't get me wrong) has caused a noticeable bump in his overall ranking as a forward in the NHL. However, Kassian had a very hot November 2019, going 6-4-10. The man had more goals that month than he tends to have points in a month. I'm not suggesting that these 10 points must be ignored in order to perceive what Kassian truly is - they hold some weight - but there's a strong recency bias reflected in his contract.

Over the three-year period, Kassian most closely compares (in terms of 5v5 P/60) with Drake Caggiula, Artturi Lehkonen, Nick Ritchie, Jesperi Kotkaniemi, and Warren Foegele. None of these men make over $2.5M, and those that signed new deals are on one-year deals. Obviously there's a covid factor here, but if these are the comparable players, how do you justify the term? How does he swing a four-year deal?

As I showed above, he isn't getting paid commensurate with his hot 2019. He's produced at a 3rd line pace over the past 3 years (2nd liner in terms of goals) and he's being paid like a 3rd liner over the next 4 years. It was a decent contract pre-COVID. It was signed right after the NHL announced that the cap would be between $84.5 - 88.5M for 2020-21, so its completely dishonest to compare it to COVID contracts.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll