Forums/Armchair-GM

What Could Have Been SCARY TEAM STILL

Created by: UpperDecker
Team: 2020-21 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 25, 2021
Published: Jan. 25, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Bowman could have had a much better landing spot right now if some different decision were not made. The saddest of them all is not being able to diagnose Bickell before having to trade his cap hit way with Tuevo. If the doctors could have done that prior Bicks could have been placed on LTIR with the Hawks and Tuevo could have stayed.

That said here are some other players that should still be with the team but were either traded for magic beans or Q did not like them.
Trades
CAR
    If Bickell would have been diagnosed in Chicago this trade never would have needed to be made.
    MTL
      Probably the second worst trade Bowman ever made
      NYR
        The clear worst trade of the Bowman era. Rumors say this is why JMD got fired because he demanded the trade to bring Saad back to support the star in Toews.
        WSH
          Q did not like Kempny and he was dealt as a result and won a Cup soon after.
          VGK
          1. Subban, Malcolm
          Additional Details:
          If the trade deadline would have lined up with the bubble tourny the Hawks never would have traded Lehner knowing they were heading back to the playoffs
          CHI
          CAR
          1. De Haan, Calvin
          Additional Details:
          Bowman would not make this trade if he still had Kempny.
          CHI
          COL
          1. Zadorov, Nikita
          Additional Details:
          Assuming the Panarin trade is reversed we would no longer have Saad to trade to Colorado for Zadorov. Also reverses the cap keep hit.
          CHI
          VAN
          1. Dach, Kirby
          2. Seabrook, Brent
          Additional Details:
          With Panarin deal never happening the Hawks probably never would have had a shot at drafting Dach. This deal would be sending that pick as compensation to take on the Seabrook hit.
          OTT
          1. Smith, Zack
          Additional Details:
          Assuming you never trade Panarin, Anisimov would have probably played better on the "Cold War Line" of 72-15-88
          CHI
          ARI
          1. Strome, Dylan
          Additional Details:
          With Danault in the system and never getting traded the Hawks probably don't draft Schmaltz they probably focus on the D. Either way they don't drat Schmaltz and in turn don't trade Schmaltz eventually for Strome.
          BUF
          1. Nylander, Alexander
          Additional Details:
          With the depth at wing the trade for Nylander would not be as likely made as D would be the pipeline especially with Seabrook gone.
          CHI
          MTL
          1. DeBrincat, Alex
          2. Shaw, Andrew
          Additional Details:
          By not trading Panarin the team would need to plan for his eventual paydday and thus never trading back for Shaw and most likley not being able to affor DeBrincat
          CHI
          DAL
          1. Janmark, Mattias
          Additional Details:
          Being strapped for cash Janmark would never get his offer from us this offseason.
          CHI
          COL
          1. Söderberg, Carl
          Additional Details:
          Center depth would not have been scarce and Soderberg would not be signed.
          CHI
          VGK
          1. Carpenter, Ryan
          Additional Details:
          Carpenter would never have been signed with plenty of C depth
          Retained Salary Transactions
          DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
          Logo of the CHI
          Logo of the CHI
          Logo of the CHI
          Logo of the CHI
          Logo of the CHI
          Logo of the CHI
          Logo of the CHI
          Logo of the CHI
          Logo of the CHI
          Logo of the CHI
          Logo of the CHI
          Logo of the CHI
          Logo of the CHI
          Logo of the CHI
          Logo of the CHI
          Logo of the CHI
          Logo of the CHI
          Logo of the CHI
          Logo of the CHI
          Logo of the CHI
          ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
          22$81,500,000$70,890,004$1,090,244$3,352,500$10,609,996
          Left WingCentreRight Wing
          Logo of the New York Rangers
          $11,642,857$11,642,857
          LW
          NMC
          UFA - 6
          Logo of the Ottawa Senators
          $4,550,000$4,550,000
          C, LW
          UFA - 1
          Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
          $2,625,000$2,625,000
          RW
          NMC
          UFA - 3
          $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
          C, LW
          UFA - 1
          $10,500,000$10,500,000
          C
          NMC
          UFA - 3
          Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
          $5,400,000$5,400,000
          LW, RW
          UFA - 4
          $3,700,000$3,700,000
          LW, RW
          UFA - 2
          Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
          $3,083,333$3,083,333
          C
          UFA - 1
          $842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
          LW, C, RW
          RFA - 2
          $725,000$725,000
          LW, RW
          UFA - 2
          $950,000$950,000
          C
          UFA - 1
          $1,000,000$1,000,000
          C
          UFA - 1
          Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
          $5,538,462$5,538,462
          LD
          NMC
          UFA - 3
          $3,850,000$3,850,000
          RD
          UFA - 2
          Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
          $5,000,000$5,000,000
          G
          M-NTC
          UFA - 5
          Logo of the Washington Capitals
          $2,500,000$2,500,000
          LD
          UFA - 2
          Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
          $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
          RD
          RFA - 1
          $800,000$800,000
          G
          UFA - 2
          $792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
          LD
          UFA - 1
          $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
          RD
          RFA - 2
          ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
          $880,833$880,833
          LW
          UFA - 1
          $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
          RD
          RFA - 3
          Taxi Squad
          $925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
          LD
          UFA - 2
          $880,833$880,833 ($0$0$0$0)
          RW, C
          RFA - 2
          $811,667$811,667 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
          LW, C
          RFA - 2
          $775,000$775,000 ($0$0$0$0)
          RW, LW
          UFA - 1
          $1,000,000$1,000,000 ($0$0$0$0)
          G
          UFA - 2
          $863,333$863,333 ($0$0$0$0)
          LD
          UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
          • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
          Jan. 25, 2021 at 12:12 p.m.
          you can also take romanov, he was the second round pick of the danault trade
          UpperDecker liked this.
          Jan. 25, 2021 at 12:15 p.m.
          Thanks I did not realize that! Stings even worse. Fleishman was such a bad move. We scratched him so much and to think how much lasting impact that move had. The Hawks need D and C help more than anything and those 2 could have been the glue.
          nickthehabsfan liked this.
          Jan. 25, 2021 at 12:25 p.m.
          Hats off to you! I understand this had to have taken a very long time to make and it’s very in depth and made well good work!
          UpperDecker liked this.
          Jan. 25, 2021 at 12:26 p.m.
          I think Debrincat stays over Kubalik tbh. We drafted him while we still had Panarin so that shouldnt be as big of an effect, and then they never trade for Kubalik instead
          Pond_Duck liked this.
          Jan. 25, 2021 at 12:28 p.m.
          Quoting: Pond_Duck
          Hats off to you! I understand this had to have taken a very long time to make and it’s very in depth and made well good work!

Thanks its such a buzz kill to see in a lot of ways. All things considered the Hawks would be better off with this plan no doubt.
          Pond_Duck and CannaHawk liked this.
          Jan. 25, 2021 at 12:31 p.m.
          Quoting: SlickWilly
          I think Debrincat stays over Kubalik tbh. We drafted him while we still had Panarin so that shouldnt be as big of an effect, and then they never trade for Kubalik instead

It's difficult to theorize because if the Hawks never make the orginal bad deal with the Habs sending Danault out the door would the repeat business have been there? I think that even if that deal is made when you go into that draft with Panarin and Tuevo on your roster and part of your long term plans are you drafting another undersized goal scoring wing with no ability to play on the PK? I don't think we have him in our system in any way if we kept Panarin and Tuevo. It would have been more D depth I think.
          Jan. 25, 2021 at 12:48 p.m.
          exo2769
          Quoting: HabsFan77
          you can also take romanov, he was the second round pick of the danault trade

Quoting: UpperDecker
          Thanks I did not realize that! Stings even worse. Fleishman was such a bad move. We scratched him so much and to think how much lasting impact that move had. The Hawks need D and C help more than anything and those 2 could have been the glue.

You guys are missing the fact that Danault was TERRIBLE for the Hawks and TERRIBLE for their AHL affiliate the Ice Hogs too. I'm dead serious. Credit goes to Danault 1,000%. He got the ice time he needed (not deserved) and made FULL use of it. He's a really good player today. The trade is terrible for Bowman because FIVE years happened since the trade. Bowman was going for the cup. I'm not upset at going for another cup.

Also, every single GM in the game can have this happen to them. Point out ONLY the mistakes and say... Look what could have been??? Oh Wow! You can't look at only the bad without the good.
          UpperDecker liked this.
          Jan. 25, 2021 at 12:53 p.m.
          Quoting: exo2769
          You guys are missing the fact that Danault was TERRIBLE for the Hawks and TERRIBLE for their AHL affiliate the Ice Hogs too. I'm dead serious. Credit goes to Danault 1,000%. He got the ice time he needed (not deserved) and made FULL use of it. He's a really good player today. The trade is terrible for Bowman because FIVE years happened since the trade. Bowman was going for the cup. I'm not upset at going for another cup.

Also, every single GM in the game can have this happen to them. Point out ONLY the mistakes and say... Look what could have been??? Oh Wow! You can't look at only the bad without the good.

100% agree at the time looked like the right move. I support Bowman and I think he gets way too much negative attention and not enough credit for being a big part of 3 Cups in less than a decade. I am not s spoiled Hawk fan that demands miracle transactions to take place in a cap era so we can win the Cup every year. The suffering occurring now is like paying the bill for an awesome dinner out with friends. It sucks to spend the cash but it was worth the experience 100% of the time!
          exo2769 liked this.
          Jan. 25, 2021 at 1:01 p.m.

Idk if I would say he was terrible. He was 22 years old with a close to 50% faceoff and had a 50% CF in 30% Offensive zone starts. It was hard to predict that he was going to become as offensively capable as he was, but it is also wrong to say that getting Dale Weise and Tomas Fleischmann would have been clear upgrades
          Jan. 25, 2021 at 1:02 p.m.
          forgot romanov and shmaltz
          Jan. 25, 2021 at 1:05 p.m.
          It's difficult to theorize because if the Hawks never make the orginal bad deal with the Habs sending Danault out the door would the repeat business have been there? I think that even if that deal is made when you go into that draft with Panarin and Tuevo on your roster and part of your long term plans are you drafting another undersized goal scoring wing with no ability to play on the PK? I don't think we have him in our system in any way if we kept Panarin and Tuevo. It would have been more D depth I think.

I think the Shaw trade is completely unrelated, it was a matter of shedding cap space, and it didn't necessarily have to be with the Habs. The thing about Debrincat is I suspect it was less about drafting for need and more about picking up the best player left on their board. I would assume at that point Panarin still figured into long term plans, and with Teuvo and Schmaltz both figuring to be centers, they would have still had need for a true winger
          exo2769 liked this.
          Jan. 25, 2021 at 1:09 p.m.
          exo2769
          Idk if I would say he was terrible. He was 22 years old with a close to 50% faceoff and had a 50% CF in 30% Offensive zone starts. It was hard to predict that he was going to become as offensively capable as he was, but it is also wrong to say that getting Dale Weise and Tomas Fleischmann would have been clear upgrades

OK, terrible might be strong, but there are definitely AHLers getting full PPG and can't translate to the NHL. Danault barely cracked 50%. Danault also got NHL time and didn't do anything with it. He even got time with Kane in 2015/2016 and didn't make anything of it. Terrible could be a bit strong. I hear you and I probably shouldn't say a young prospect like that was definitely terrible. He wasn't panning out like the Hawks wanted him to. The irony is that they actually did need a #3c. The reason he was traded was literally because Tanner Kero out worked him. That's a true story. Yes, hindsight is what is it, but that could equally be said for Danault's development. He would have never received the ice time needed to develop into a the VERY GOOD Centerman he is today.
          Jan. 25, 2021 at 1:22 p.m.
          OK, terrible might be strong, but there are definitely AHLers getting full PPG and can't translate to the NHL. Danault barely cracked 50%. Danault also got NHL time and didn't do anything with it. He even got time with Kane in 2015/2016 and didn't make anything of it. Terrible could be a bit strong. I hear you and I probably shouldn't say a young prospect like that was definitely terrible. He wasn't panning out like the Hawks wanted him to. The irony is that they actually did need a #3c. The reason he was traded was literally because Tanner Kero out worked him. That's a true story. Yes, hindsight is what is it, but that could equally be said for Danault's development. He would have never received the ice time needed to develop into a the VERY GOOD Centerman he is today.

I agree with the fact that his offensive potential was practically zero, and trading him for an upgrade would have been pretty fine. Former first round pick, getting his feet wet in the NHL, sold off to win another cup or make a deep run. The problem was more so who he was traded for. If he was traded for a guy with true offensive upside like Mikkel Boedker (the guy I wanted) or a true defenseman to serve as a replacement for Oduya because Daley and Ehrhoff clearly were not working out, it would have been a good deadline. Instead, he was traded for guys with pretty limited offensive potential, more defensive guys, which was basically who he was already. That's really where the problem lies in that deal. I don't think its as offensive as most people think it is, as you are suggesting, but I do think it was a pretty weird idea for who they got back
          exo2769 liked this.
          Jan. 25, 2021 at 3:03 p.m.
          I think the Shaw trade is completely unrelated, it was a matter of shedding cap space, and it didn't necessarily have to be with the Habs. The thing about Debrincat is I suspect it was less about drafting for need and more about picking up the best player left on their board. I would assume at that point Panarin still figured into long term plans, and with Teuvo and Schmaltz both figuring to be centers, they would have still had need for a true winger

My perspective goes back to the Danualt deal and that you would not have even drafted Schmaltz with that pick in 2014, if you felt Danault was the #3 if not #2 center at the time I feel that pick would have been for D help rather than Schmaltz.
          Jan. 25, 2021 at 3:30 p.m.
          Hawks Fan
          That defense is still bad. Though I imagine between mitchell, joker, and boker one of them plays LD. You can't play Carlson and sit Mitchell. I never understood why Teuvo went with Bickell. Why didn't they trade a prospect or a pick or simply buy Bickell out? I also never understood the MTL trades with Danault. The team was the #1 team in the Western Conference and everything was clicking. We didn't need Weiss and Fleischmann.
          UpperDecker liked this.
          Jan. 25, 2021 at 3:53 p.m.
          Quoting: Jco5ta5
          That defense is still bad. Though I imagine between mitchell, joker, and boker one of them plays LD. You can't play Carlson and sit Mitchell. I never understood why Teuvo went with Bickell. Why didn't they trade a prospect or a pick or simply buy Bickell out? I also never understood the MTL trades with Danault. The team was the #1 team in the Western Conference and everything was clicking. We didn't need Weiss and Fleischmann.

On the Bickell trade and why they included Tuevo is because he basically was it as far as a prospect/player at the time. The Hawks had already set a precedent that they would trade cusp players like Tuevo when they dealt away Sharp with Johns, Campbell with Hayes. Its just an awful situation anyway you look at it. Imagine if Bickell never gets sick and still plays at that dominant power forward level that got him paid and you have Tuevo and Panarin joining the team! Monster team that has the ability to go for that 4th Cup of the Decade.

So unfortunate that illness hit Bicks and to a lesser extent the future of the Hawks as it has currently been written.
          exo2769 and Jco5ta5 liked this.
          Jan. 25, 2021 at 4:05 p.m.
          exo2769
          On the Bickell trade and why they included Tuevo is because he basically was it as far as a prospect/player at the time. The Hawks had already set a precedent that they would trade cusp players like Tuevo when they dealt away Sharp with Johns, Campbell with Hayes. Its just an awful situation anyway you look at it. Imagine if Bickell never gets sick and still plays at that dominant power forward level that got him paid and you have Tuevo and Panarin joining the team! Monster team that has the ability to go for that 4th Cup of the Decade.

So unfortunate that illness hit Bicks and to a lesser extent the future of the Hawks as it has currently been written.

Unfortunate is right. Sucks for him most of all. He's got a tremendous story after hockey. I'm very happy to see him ice dancing now. For real though, not a joke. Happy for the guy!

From the selfish side. It would have been nice if the Hawks doctors found this. He only played 11 games for CAR...it's not like he went on a played a bunch and then found it. It was something like 90 days...ish and then diagnosed.
          UpperDecker liked this.
          Jan. 25, 2021 at 8:05 p.m.
          My perspective goes back to the Danualt deal and that you would not have even drafted Schmaltz with that pick in 2014, if you felt Danault was the #3 if not #2 center at the time I feel that pick would have been for D help rather than Schmaltz.

Schmaltz was drafted 2 years before Danault was dealt. Danault was never seen as going to be an offensive guy, his ceiling was seen as a defensive 3c with a completely different skill set than schmaltz. These things are not really related.
          Jan. 26, 2021 at 10:32 a.m.
          Backn 2da leff-JFK
          Dominik Kubalik played center in his league. So you could probably have 72-8-88 as a line and be more effective because AA’s 25% faceoff rate definitely wouldn’t be that difficult to do better than.
          Jan. 26, 2021 at 10:47 a.m.
          Quoting: PreemoForGM
          Dominik Kubalik played center in his league. So you could probably have 72-8-88 as a line and be more effective because AA’s 25% faceoff rate definitely wouldn’t be that difficult to do better than.

I doubt it. Also consider the gap between when Kubalik arrived and when we would have needed him. He is an offensive player and the wing is his spot. I doubt he could run center as well as he does wing.

The chemistry of the "Cold War Line" as I call it with 72-15-88 was amazing and Anisimov was actually worth his cap hit when playing between those stud wings.
          Jan. 26, 2021 at 12:07 p.m.
          Backn 2da leff-JFK
          Any center is worth their cap when you have ROTY and MVP as linemates. Seriously faceoffs got them destroyed in the playoffs because anisimov would be the easiest draw to win in the league going 1 for 7 at times. That’s why Toews at the center on that line was almost guranteed a goal in the regular season because they didn’t have to fight to get possession back every ****.
          Jan. 26, 2021 at 12:09 p.m.
          Backn 2da leff-JFK
          AA got bailed on by OTTAWA that’s how bad he is at center and that’s just how good 72 and 88 were.
          UpperDecker liked this.
          Jan. 26, 2021 at 2:10 p.m.
          Yeah and I think his greatest contribution of his career will be that he was the Russian helper that got Bread Man adjusted to the NHL.

To create a post please Login or Register
          Question:
          Options:
          Add Option
          Submit Poll