Forums/Armchair-GM

Deadline with Nashville

Created by: pdunham
Team: 2020-21 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 24, 2021
Published: Feb. 24, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I'm a Preds fan looking to get feedback from Boston fans.

I've made some edits based on early feedback including breaking the trades apart a bit.
Trades
BOS
    Future Considerations, i.e. we'll eat some cap for you
    NSH
    1. Moore, John
    2. 2021 3rd round pick (BOS)
    NSH
    1. Beecher, John [Reserve List]
    2. 2021 2nd round pick (BOS)
    Additional Details:
    Pick becomes a 2022 1st round if Boston makes conference finals
    BOS
    1. Ekholm, Mattias
    2. 2021 4th round pick (NSH)
    NSH
    1. Ritchie, Nick
    2. Vaakanainen, Urho
    3. 2021 1st round pick (BOS)
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the BOS
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$81,168,389$964,222$2,300,000$331,611
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Boston Bruins
    $6,125,000$6,125,000
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $6,875,000$6,875,000
    C
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2
    $6,666,667$6,666,667
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $3,675,000$3,675,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Nashville Predators
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,600,000$1,600,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    C, RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 6
    $3,100,000$3,100,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $1,275,000$1,275,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,350,000$1,350,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,900,000$4,900,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $3,687,500$3,687,500
    LD
    UFA - 4
    $2,850,000$2,850,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $2,250,000$2,250,000 (Performance Bonus$1,250,000$1M)
    G
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,250,000$1,250,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
    RD
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Nashville Predators
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $2,600,000$2,600,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    Taxi Squad
    $800,000$800,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $769,167$769,167 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
    RW, C
    RFA - 2
    $725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    G
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    C, LW
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 24, 2021 at 7:21 p.m.
    Ekholm alone returns at least the 1st with no playoff conditions
    villenash and gmgb liked this.
    Feb. 24, 2021 at 7:55 p.m.
    I'm not really sure how to breakdown this trade lol.

Ekholm = Zboril + 2nd + Kase
    Granlund = Ritchie + Moore + 3rd

I'm just not sure why there are so many pieces involved here. I don't think Boston would have much interest in Granlund, nor are they looking to move Ritchie. Honestly if NSH were to target a d-man from Boston in an Ekholm deal, it's probably Vaak because he NHL ready and expansion draft exempt
    Feb. 24, 2021 at 8:32 p.m.
    As a Preds fan, I'm not sure why they'd want to do this. No 1st, no prospects, just a bunch of middle of the lineup guys. And two of them are arbitration eligible RFAs.

*Just as an FYI, conditional picks based on a player re-signing aren't allowed anymore. Just performance related conditions now.
    uphillmoss and BruinsCharlies liked this.
    Feb. 25, 2021 at 1:19 a.m.
    why would krecji be first line???
    Feb. 25, 2021 at 11:18 a.m.
    Quoting: gmgb
    As a Preds fan, I'm not sure why they'd want to do this. No 1st, no prospects, just a bunch of middle of the lineup guys. And two of them are arbitration eligible RFAs.

*Just as an FYI, conditional picks based on a player re-signing aren't allowed anymore. Just performance related conditions now.

Did not know that could no longer be a condition, thanks for the info. Seems as though you are suggesting Preds could get additional value I'll make some changes and see what you think.
    Feb. 25, 2021 at 11:53 a.m.
    Quoting: ON3M4N
    I'm not really sure how to breakdown this trade lol.

Ekholm = Zboril + 2nd + Kase
    Granlund = Ritchie + Moore + 3rd

I'm just not sure why there are so many pieces involved here. I don't think Boston would have much interest in Granlund, nor are they looking to move Ritchie. Honestly if NSH were to target a d-man from Boston in an Ekholm deal, it's probably Vaak because he NHL ready and expansion draft exempt

You're right, I thought Zboril was still on his ELC so the swap to Vaak makes sense as the Preds won't need to protect him from Seattle and will want to protect Josi, Ellis, and Fabbro.

I think Boston has to give up a 3rd just to rid themselves of the Moore contract, mind you it's likely to be a late 3rd. 2.75M for another 2.5 years for a guy that at this point barely cracks an NHL lineup and is likely a 7D isn't something a lot of teams are going to want to do.

Granlund fetched the 2014 #11 overall pick in Fiala just 2 years ago. I think the Preds will be looking for at least a 2nd and a prospect for him.
    Feb. 25, 2021 at 12:59 p.m.
    Banned
    Bruins reject all 3...
    John Moore isnt a capo dump (as he keeps proving), but if you WANT to dump him, its a 6th tops
    The Ekholm trade is close in value, but bruins have said they are not moving away from their young dmen yet.
    That bottom one is just bad on value and pieces.
    Feb. 25, 2021 at 1:43 p.m.
    Quoting: pdunham
    You're right, I thought Zboril was still on his ELC so the swap to Vaak makes sense as the Preds won't need to protect him from Seattle and will want to protect Josi, Ellis, and Fabbro.

I think Boston has to give up a 3rd just to rid themselves of the Moore contract, mind you it's likely to be a late 3rd. 2.75M for another 2.5 years for a guy that at this point barely cracks an NHL lineup and is likely a 7D isn't something a lot of teams are going to want to do.

Granlund fetched the 2014 #11 overall pick in Fiala just 2 years ago. I think the Preds will be looking for at least a 2nd and a prospect for him.

few things to unwrap here:

Why does Boston have to rid themselves of Moore? His cap hit isn't cripple the team and if they really wanted they could send him through waivers to the Taxi squad and save around $1 million a year. His lack of cracking the line-up could be due to Boston being pretty deep on the LD. For years it was Chara, Krug and Grz. Now this year they have Lauzon, Grz, Zboril, Vaak & Moore all trying to get playing time at LD.

As for Granlund, what he fetched 2 years ago is irrelevant. The guy was still a UFA roughly 2 weeks before training camp opened, so teams weren't banging down he door to sign him. A 2nd a prospects could be fair value, but that's not really how the trade breaks out here with Boston. Lets say the 3rd is to take Moore. That leaves Ritchie for Granlund. Ritchie is younger, cheaper (for now) and currently have a career year. Why does Boston trade Ritchie for Granlund?
    Feb. 25, 2021 at 2:37 p.m.
    Quoting: ON3M4N
    few things to unwrap here:

Why does Boston have to rid themselves of Moore? His cap hit isn't cripple the team and if they really wanted they could send him through waivers to the Taxi squad and save around $1 million a year. His lack of cracking the line-up could be due to Boston being pretty deep on the LD. For years it was Chara, Krug and Grz. Now this year they have Lauzon, Grz, Zboril, Vaak & Moore all trying to get playing time at LD.

As for Granlund, what he fetched 2 years ago is irrelevant. The guy was still a UFA roughly 2 weeks before training camp opened, so teams weren't banging down he door to sign him. A 2nd a prospects could be fair value, but that's not really how the trade breaks out here with Boston. Lets say the 3rd is to take Moore. That leaves Ritchie for Granlund. Ritchie is younger, cheaper (for now) and currently have a career year. Why does Boston trade Ritchie for Granlund?

Boston doesn't have to rid themselves of Moore, but it's certainly not a great contract for a guy struggling to break into the lineup and Boston seems to be up against the cap, so I figured some relief to fit in other pieces at the deadline may be attractive.

Granlund's situation was a bit more complicated than nobody wanted him. He was in Europe and had issues getting back to north america due to visa status as a result of COVID. Also, we all know that it was a weird year for free agency, lots of guys took short deals, lower money, and signed late.

Also, I changed the trades to break them out a bit and changed some pieces.

Yes the 3rd is for Moore, Boston is poised to make a cup run so picks this year should be very late in the round. May still be an overpayment as you have suggested given Boston isn't desperate for cap space so it should probably be a later round pick if at all.

I'm using the Muzzin trade (Toronto traded a 1st, Grudstrum, and Durzi) as a comparable for Ekholm. My thought was 1st, Ritchie, and Vaak but I realize they are higher value than Grundstum and Durzi so I've added a 4th rounder coming back to Boston, but could also see Moore here if the Bruins want to try to save cap space.

Grunlund I change as well to late first round prospect of Beecher and a 2nd (conditional 1st if Boston makes conference finals). Again might be too much, maybe drop the pick a round or two?

Thanks for your feedback.
    Feb. 25, 2021 at 2:45 p.m.
    Quoting: pdunham
    Boston doesn't have to rid themselves of Moore, but it's certainly not a great contract for a guy struggling to break into the lineup and Boston seems to be up against the cap, so I figured some relief to fit in other pieces at the deadline may be attractive.

Boston has the 7th most cap space in the NHL

Quote:
    Granlund's situation was a bit more complicated than nobody wanted him. He was in Europe and had issues getting back to north america due to visa status as a result of COVID. Also, we all know that it was a weird year for free agency, lots of guys took short deals, lower money, and signed late.

His visa had nothing to do with him being a UFA with about 10 days till camp opened. There were a lot of other European players that didn't seem to have an issue

Quote:
    Also, I changed the trades to break them out a bit and changed some pieces.

Yes the 3rd is for Moore, Boston is poised to make a cup run so picks this year should be very late in the round. May still be an overpayment as you have suggested given Boston isn't desperate for cap space so it should probably be a later round pick if at all.

Don't see what poised to make a cup run has to do with this. Boston was just in the SCF a few years ago and won the Presidents trophy last year, clearly John Moore isn't hindering the team.

Quote:
    I'm using the Muzzin trade (Toronto traded a 1st, Grudstrum, and Durzi) as a comparable for Ekholm. My thought was 1st, Ritchie, and Vaak but I realize they are higher value than Grundstum and Durzi so I've added a 4th rounder coming back to Boston, but could also see Moore here if the Bruins want to try to save cap space.

Why does Boston trade Ritchie whose having a career year and filling a void on the 1PP that the team has needed for year?

Quote:
    Grunlund I change as well to late first round prospect of Beecher and a 2nd (conditional 1st if Boston makes conference finals). Again might be too much, maybe drop the pick a round or two?

Thanks for your feedback.

Again don't see Boston having interest in Granlund and don't see a fit there.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll