Forums/Armchair-GM

Pittsburgh Talk to Me

Created by: TelegramSam
Team: 2021-22 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 9, 2021
Published: Jun. 9, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Oilers have four bothersome contracts.
No one will trade for Neal - he gets bought out.
Turris is trivial - he can be buried for 500 grand.
Koskinen still has value; he's just overpaid. Stick it out for one more year.
That leaves Kassian. Not a huge overpay, but the term is annoying and makes a buyout or salary retention deal unattractive. Some team might have use for him as part of the right package. Is this the right team and package?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,250,000
2$1,300,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,500,000
3$3,500,000
5$5,500,000
5$5,500,000
1$2,500,000
3$3,250,000
1$2,500,000
1$1,250,000
1$2,500,000
Trades
EDM
    Expansion draft.
    Pick thrown in to keep Caleb Jones.
    SEA
    1. Benson, Tyler [RFA Rights]
    2. 2021 6th round pick (PIT)
    EDM
    1. 2021 7th round pick (WSH)
    Additional Details:
    Pittsburgh AGMs, that's the package. Kassian (no salary retained), Kahun's rights (word is Gino likes him) and a 2nd. Is this worth anything at all to you? I mean anything other than a cap dump the other way. Any roster player? A 7th round pick? Anything? Or does it represent negative value that holds no interest at all?
    PIT
    1. Kahun, Dominik [RFA Rights]
    2. Kassian, Zack
    3. 2022 2nd round pick (EDM)
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the EDM
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$79,408,506$669,339$1,307,500$2,091,494
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 5
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $12,500,000$12,500,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $1,175,000$1,175,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 8
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 4
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 4
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,300,000$1,300,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 2
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $834,167$834,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
    C
    RFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
    LW, C
    RFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,600,000$5,600,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $4,167,000$4,167,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 4:25 p.m.
    Pens are the best
    If the pens trade zucker and pettersson and still have cap space to sign coleman, hyman, or saad. And have cap space to trade for Deslauries and a 3rd line RD. Then yeah pens accept
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 4:32 p.m.
    EDM seemed very hesitant to move out picks, so I dont know if they do this. Pens would also have to get rid of some cap, but maybe a deal where Zucker goes to EDM could work?
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 4:40 p.m.
    Quoting: Marcsnack
    EDM seemed very hesitant to move out picks, so I dont know if they do this. Pens would also have to get rid of some cap, but maybe a deal where Zucker goes to EDM could work?

I'm a little nervous about Zucker re. term and the possibility that he's about to fall off the cliff production-wise.
    But there's risk on both sides - I wonder if Zucker for Kassian + Kahun works.
    Radu47 liked this.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 4:41 p.m.
    Quoting: TelegramSam
    I'm a little nervous about Zucker re. term and the possibility that he's about to fall off the cliff production-wise.
    But there's risk on both sides - I wonder if Zucker for Kassian + Kahun works.

Zucker is a bit more expensive, but less term. Kassian's contract is a bigger risk IMO. Also, Zucker started to really pick it up in the playoffs.
    Radu47 liked this.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 5:17 p.m.
    Vegan Commie Hipster
    Seems very fair to say Kassian is overpaid by 2.4M$ as he fits every definition of a league minimum player (healthy scratches aplenty, meh, aging) 🤷‍♂️

Even his skillset is increasingly archaic 🤕

I could see him in the KHL fairly soon
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 5:20 p.m.
    Vegan Commie Hipster
    It's very slept on how well Benson has scored in the AHL in his early 20s; his numbers are up there with a lot of very highly appraised prospects 👀
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 5:24 p.m.
    Quoting: Radu47
    It's very slept on how well Benson has scored in the AHL in his early 20s; his numbers are up there with a lot of very highly appraised prospects 👀

And I might be wrong to be hanging on to the hope of Jones' development. Kraken might just take Benson without incentive.
    uphere liked this.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 5:35 p.m.
    I don’t think there is a fit unless Edmonton gives up quite a bit. I mean pens would have to send a contract back like Zucker so they can not only take on Kassian full cap hit, but also sign Kahun to make the deal worth it. Which means the pens would definitely want at least a 1st rounder added on to the deal. Zucker isn’t as bad as fans claim he is. Malkin started the year extremely out of shape and brought everyone that ended up on his line down. Zucker picked it up just before his injury and after he came back. He was simply snake bitten. But the offensive pressure was definitely there. He was one forward that laid it all out on the line and showed a ton of heart in the playoffs. I think he’d be a good addition to Edmonton’s speed game and would do wonders on McDavid’s LW. Being with Malkin who doesn’t play as much of a north/south speed game I think had a lot to do with Zuckers production too. When he first came over and was on a line with Crosby, he was almost a PPG player. He is also a good locker room guy and leader.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 6:08 p.m.
    Simpleton
    Dumping Kassian's contract probably isn't a priority for the Oilers, but they would probably be happy to move him if the right deal comes along.

I think Uncle Kenny has Yamamoto's qualifying offer ready and that he has an idea of what it is going to cost him to sign Larson, Barrie, RNH, and maybe even re-up Nurse. I believe he is developing his strategy for the offseason based on that knowledge (I'm not convinced RNH and Barrie will be back). Surely Holland has his protection list close to complete, although negotiations with his key UFAs are probably leaving the last couple of spots unconfirmed right now. Undoubtedly, he's talking with other GMs now and getting a feel for how the trade market is going to look ahead of the expansion draft.

The Oilers are probably looking for a better goaltender, ideally before the buyout window opens. If this effort is successful, Holland has the option of selling low on Koskinen or buying him out, at the expense of risking the loss of Stuart Skinner to the Kraken. I think Seattle may have other very attractive options to pick from though.

Kassian will probably be left exposed during the expansion draft, and I believe RNH and Larsson will influence on whether Seattle picks him. If RNH remains a free agent, the Oilers may protect one of Archibald, Kahun, or Khaira. If Larsson remains a free agent, the Oilers may protect Jones. The Kraken may prefer Kassian over Lagesson, Russell, one of the other Oiler forwards, an Oiler goaltender, taking a risk on Klefbom, or a risk in selecting an Oiler free agent (they can always tender an offer when the free agent window opens). If the Kraken pick Kassian, then so be it. If they don't then I'm sure Holland will remain open to listening to reasonable offers. The only scenario in which I see a cap dump occurring is if Edmonton overextends itself with UFAs, or needs to clear space in order to swing a trade for a significant asset.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 6:14 p.m.
    Banned
    There is no deal between PIT and EDM that makes sense around Kassian at all.
    These horrible ideas of Zucker for Kassian are total nonsense. They will never make that deal.
    You guys are stuck with that contract. It was bad when they signed it and worse now. But you got to live with it.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 8:03 p.m.
    Quoting: Pensfan89
    I don’t think there is a fit unless Edmonton gives up quite a bit. I mean pens would have to send a contract back like Zucker so they can not only take on Kassian full cap hit, but also sign Kahun to make the deal worth it. Which means the pens would definitely want at least a 1st rounder added on to the deal. Zucker isn’t as bad as fans claim he is. Malkin started the year extremely out of shape and brought everyone that ended up on his line down. Zucker picked it up just before his injury and after he came back. He was simply snake bitten. But the offensive pressure was definitely there. He was one forward that laid it all out on the line and showed a ton of heart in the playoffs. I think he’d be a good addition to Edmonton’s speed game and would do wonders on McDavid’s LW. Being with Malkin who doesn’t play as much of a north/south speed game I think had a lot to do with Zuckers production too. When he first came over and was on a line with Crosby, he was almost a PPG player. He is also a good locker room guy and leader.

That was a lot of interesting and useful information. Thank you, it is appreciated.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 8:09 p.m.
    Quoting: uphere
    Dumping Kassian's contract probably isn't a priority for the Oilers, but they would probably be happy to move him if the right deal comes along.

I think Uncle Kenny has Yamamoto's qualifying offer ready and that he has an idea of what it is going to cost him to sign Larson, Barrie, RNH, and maybe even re-up Nurse. I believe he is developing his strategy for the offseason based on that knowledge (I'm not convinced RNH and Barrie will be back). Surely Holland has his protection list close to complete, although negotiations with his key UFAs are probably leaving the last couple of spots unconfirmed right now. Undoubtedly, he's talking with other GMs now and getting a feel for how the trade market is going to look ahead of the expansion draft.

The Oilers are probably looking for a better goaltender, ideally before the buyout window opens. If this effort is successful, Holland has the option of selling low on Koskinen or buying him out, at the expense of risking the loss of Stuart Skinner to the Kraken. I think Seattle may have other very attractive options to pick from though.

Kassian will probably be left exposed during the expansion draft, and I believe RNH and Larsson will influence on whether Seattle picks him. If RNH remains a free agent, the Oilers may protect one of Archibald, Kahun, or Khaira. If Larsson remains a free agent, the Oilers may protect Jones. The Kraken may prefer Kassian over Lagesson, Russell, one of the other Oiler forwards, an Oiler goaltender, taking a risk on Klefbom, or a risk in selecting an Oiler free agent (they can always tender an offer when the free agent window opens). If the Kraken pick Kassian, then so be it. If they don't then I'm sure Holland will remain open to listening to reasonable offers. The only scenario in which I see a cap dump occurring is if Edmonton overextends itself with UFAs, or needs to clear space in order to swing a trade for a significant asset.

Yeah, I believe negotiations have already begun on re-signing Larsson. Which probably means "no" for Barrie who wants term. Who knows about RNH but he had a statistically poor year so maybe the Oilers can sign him for say, 5.5MM x 4-5 years which I think is fair-to-good value.

The Oilers value Kassian more than I or most AGMs do. I'd do a happy dance if the Kraken selected him.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 8:11 p.m.
    Quoting: pharrow
    There is no deal between PIT and EDM that makes sense around Kassian at all.
    These horrible ideas of Zucker for Kassian are total nonsense. They will never make that deal.
    You guys are stuck with that contract. It was bad when they signed it and worse now. But you got to live with it.

Thank you for your candor and I apologize for any inconvenience. I will try to keep all future nonsense to myself.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll