Forums/Armchair-GM

Friedman on the Sabres

Created by: Lenny54
Team: 2021-22 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 17, 2021
Published: Jun. 17, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Friedman did his weekly spot on the Instigators and he said that he has talked to eastern teams and the belief is that the Sabres want him out west and if an eastern team really wants him it is really going to cost them.

Reinhart is garnering a lot of talk...Columbus really likes him, Anaheim is in on both as most teams that are in on Eichel and if they don't get Eichel then they will go after Reinhart.

He said that there is a team that is looking at both but thinks the Sabre's get more if dealt separately. Also teams are asking about including Ristolainen in a trade with either one

He thinks the Sabres are going to get a high first rounder also bc most GM's aren't valuing this years draft.

He has talked to people that think LA is lying that they are no longer interested in Eichel

He did say that when Anaheim was in on Dubois that Zegras and Drysdale were off the table
Trades
BUF
  1. Comtois, Maxime [RFA Rights]
  2. Perreault, Jacob
  3. 2021 1st round pick (ANA)
  4. 2021 2nd round pick (ANA)
BUF
  1. Merzlikins, Elvis
  2. Voronkov, Dmitri [Reserve List]
  3. 2021 1st round pick (TOR)
  4. 2022 2nd round pick (CBJ)
CBJ
  1. Reinhart, Sam [RFA Rights]
  2. Ristolainen, Rasmus
  3. 2021 3rd round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
I think Columbus is a team that would be interested in Ristolainen should they trade Seth jones
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the COL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
13$81,500,000$36,261,416$113,916$932,500$45,238,584
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 6
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,050,000$3,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$894,167$894,167
RW
RFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$889,166$889,166
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
G
RFA - 1
$3,875,000$3,875,000
RD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,200,000$2,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 17, 2021 at 1:45 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Sabres shouldn't be the worried about trading Eichel to an Eastern conference. By the time the Sabres are nearly competitive, Eichel will be in the last year or two of this contract. Just get the best deal you can.
Devil liked this.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 1:49 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Sabres shouldn't be the worried about trading Eichel to an Eastern conference. By the time the Sabres are nearly competitive, Eichel will be in the last year or two of this contract. Just get the best deal you can.

That is true but I think if the Sabres demands are met they get the best deal out west.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 1:51 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Thank you for making this

Rangers will likely be out of the Eichel race with the price being raised for Eastern teams

I think the 5 best landing spots for Eichel are: LA, Anaheim, Vegas, Minnesota, Calgary
Lenny54 liked this.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 1:53 p.m.
I feel that unless we get certainty in contracts from both rienhart and risto, we’d rather not touch our red army prospect collection. As all 3 of them , 4 including Tarasov(goalie) are the pieces the team will be filled out with in the middle 6 roles down the line. All are killing it in the kHl. I think we’d move Bemner or foudy over any of the Russians.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 1:58 p.m.
No way Sabres send Eichel to Ducks without getting Zegras or Dysdale back in the deal. Comtois is a nice piece, a player I'd love on the Sabres, but he is not a center piece for Eichel type player.

In the Reinhart deal, Texier would need to be the piece I am getting, not the Russian.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 1:59 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Devil1122
Thank you for making this

Rangers will likely be out of the Eichel race with the price being raised for Eastern teams

I think the 5 best landing spots for Eichel are: LA, Anaheim, Vegas, Minnesota, Calgary

Here's my opinion...LA has the cap to sign UFAs so they wouldn't want to give futures for Eichel, so IMO LA doesn't give what Buffalo wants
Minni with their list of NTCs don't really have get cap for Eichel
Vegas is close to the cap. Don't know if they want to send a lot of their roster away just to obtain Eichel
Anaheim has to send cap back if Buffalo, and not sure if Ducks want to trade their prime prospects
Calgary would have to send Monahan back in trade. Not sure if the Sabres would want that.
I'm of the opinion, the Sabres are going to be disappointed with the trade returns. Teams just might have better ways to spend 10m without giving up good prospects. And the Sabres are in the position where they virtually have to trade both Eichel and Reinhart, the latter who can be a UFA next summer.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 2:05 p.m.
Barzals skateblade
I really don't understand why the Ducks and the Jackets are in on Eichel. Those are two teams that would be giving up so much to get Eichel that they would be as terrible as Buffalo when he plays there and Eichel wants to be on a contender imo. Also to say that Drysdale and Zegras are off the table for Eichel is wrong, they need to give one of them up (Prob Zegras) to get Eichel or else it's probably Comtois + plus lots of picks and lots of prospects which would be worse for Anaheim.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 2:10 p.m.
Quoting: Theo_nollaf
I really don't understand why the Ducks and the Jackets are in on Eichel. Those are two teams that would be giving up so much to get Eichel that they would be as terrible as Buffalo when he plays there and Eichel wants to be on a contender imo. Also to say that Drysdale and Zegras are off the table for Eichel is wrong, they need to give one of them up (Prob Zegras) to get Eichel or else it's probably Comtois + plus lots of picks and lots of prospects which would be worse for Anaheim.

Saying Zegras and Drysdale are off the table isn't wrong, its already been said that its clear they are both off the table, even in an Eichel trade.

What's wrong is saying they aren't off the table when its clear they are
Jun. 17, 2021 at 2:17 p.m.
Here's my opinion...LA has the cap to sign UFAs so they wouldn't want to give futures for Eichel, so IMO LA doesn't give what Buffalo wants
Vegas is close to the cap. Don't know if they want to send a lot of their roster away just to obtain Eichel
Anaheim has to send cap back if Buffalo, and not sure if Ducks want to trade their prime prospects
Calgary would have to send Monahan back in trade. Not sure if the Sabres would want that.
I'm of the opinion, the Sabres are going to be disappointed with the trade returns. Teams just might have better ways to spend 10m without giving up good prospects. And the Sabres are in the position where they virtually have to trade both Eichel and Reinhart, the latter who can be a UFA next summer.

Teams may have better ways of spending 10 Mil but when has that stopped a GM from giving up their better prospects? Come on if Matthews were on the market you think Toronto isn't going to want a boat load and they would get it. Of course your response will be Matthews is better than Eichel which may be true but remember it only takes one GM to want a player bad enough to give in to another teams demands. Eichel is still a top 10 center and very rarely is one available at 24 yo, if I'm Adams I don't give in and hold steady in what I want.
Time will tell and we should have an answer within the next month or so. Maybe they will kiss and make up lol...but not likely. Honestly, I think Reinhart is going to bring a good return
Jun. 17, 2021 at 2:25 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

LA always seems to be in the talks for big-name players. If they are willing to give Turcotte+prospect+8th pick for Eichel, that could make sense
The Wild surprisingly have 22 million in cap space for the offseason. If they have salary going back to Buffalo like Dumba or Greenway, they could afford Eichel
I agree with Vegas but they could trade one of their goalies to clear cap space for a center. Reinhart is a better fit for Vegas
Anaheim is making a hard push for Eichel. They might be willing to give up Comtois, some other mid tier prospects, + 3rd overall pick for Eichel
Calgary fans were willing to trade Tkachuk + pick for Eichel

I think Sabres will get a bit disappointed with the return, but they still get a solid return for both Reinhart and Eichel
Lenny54 and Chopper02 liked this.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 2:34 p.m.
LA always seems to be in the talks for big-name players. If they are willing to give Turcotte+prospect+8th pick for Eichel, that could make sense
The Wild surprisingly have 22 million in cap space for the offseason. If they have salary going back to Buffalo like Dumba or Greenway, they could afford Eichel
I agree with Vegas but they could trade one of their goalies to clear cap space for a center. Reinhart is a better fit for Vegas
Anaheim is making a hard push for Eichel. They might be willing to give up Comtois, some other mid tier prospects, + 3rd overall pick for Eichel

I think Sabres will get a bit disappointed with the return, but they still get a solid return for both Reinhart and Eichel

LA has so many centers in their pipeline that giving up Turcotte would not hurt them one bit. Eichel/Byfield/Vilardi would have them set for an ion of time and still have Madden etc.
Devil liked this.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 3:48 p.m.
Quoting: SadSabres90
No way Sabres send Eichel to Ducks without getting Zegras or Dysdale back in the deal. Comtois is a nice piece, a player I'd love on the Sabres, but he is not a center piece for Eichel type player.

In the Reinhart deal, Texier would need to be the piece I am getting, not the Russian.

And Sabres aren't getting Zegras or Drysdale, Anaheim has made that clear.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 4:51 p.m.
Quoting: Chopper02
And Sabres aren't getting Zegras or Drysdale, Anaheim has made that clear.

Which I why the Sabres aren't dealing him to Anaheim.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 4:54 p.m.
Quoting: Theo_nollaf

You're right about the Ducks. But the Bluejackets would still have a solid team around Jack. They have 3 first round picks, giving up 2 of those and Merzilikins plus a prospect gets the deal done.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 4:56 p.m.

Everyone needs to remember a healthy Jack Eichel on a good team is a 100 pt per year player. Teams will need to pay a price for him. These trades of a prospect, pick and roster player for him will not be enough. Its multiple picks, multiple prospects and a roster player to get it done.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 4:57 p.m.
Which I why the Sabres aren't dealing him to Anaheim.

I have a feeling Sabres fans are going to be sorely disappointed in any Eichel return.
KINGS67 liked this.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 5:04 p.m.
I have a feeling Sabres fans are going to be sorely disappointed in any Eichel return.

Some may, I won't be. Minnesota, Columbus and Philly can easily put together better offers for him. There are 8-10 team that are legit in on Eichel. Teams are getting a 25 yr old, Top 10 C, under contract for 5 more years and can produce 85-100 pts when healthy. The guy is going to net a substantial return.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 5:06 p.m.
Some may, I won't be. Minnesota, Columbus and Philly can easily put together better offers for him. There are 8-10 team that are legit in on Eichel. Teams are getting a 25 yr old, Top 10 C, under contract for 5 more years and can produce 85-100 pts when healthy. The guy is going to net a substantial return.

Depending on his injury. If it becomes too big of an issue then it doesn't matter what he was able to do.
Jun. 17, 2021 at 5:10 p.m.
Depending on his injury. If it becomes too big of an issue then it doesn't matter what he was able to do.

Its a fixable injury. A slipped disc isn't career ending, especially in the location its in. These teams have done and are doing their due dilligence on it.
Jun. 18, 2021 at 9:41 a.m.
Barzals skateblade
You're right about the Ducks. But the Bluejackets would still have a solid team around Jack. They have 3 first round picks, giving up 2 of those and Merzilikins plus a prospect gets the deal done.

I really don't think that the deal gets done without Laine. But even if it does, the Jackets are still a very bad team and they'll be essentially relying on Eichel to carry them to the Cup because there's no upside on this team. Columbus needs a rebuild, trading for Eichel would be tortuous to the entire team to be stuck in the middle and it would be terrible for their future. They have three picks, why not start there and create an actual contending franchise.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll