Forums/Armchair-GM

Wings Fans youre not getting what you think for Bertuzzi

Created by: MakeMarnerACentre
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 9, 2021
Published: Jul. 9, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Hes a 26 Year Old that just came off a herniated disc in his back with a career high 48 points.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$4,750,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Bertuzzi, Tyler [RFA Rights]
DET
  1. Abramov, Mikhail
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (TOR)
  3. 2022 1st round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
18$81,500,000$76,894,783$0$0$4,605,217
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 3
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 4
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 9, 2021 at 7:07 p.m.
Its amazing that ppl think just because you want something, you only have to pay a fair price to get it and the other side has to accept...

What world do you live in?

Detroit is within their right to ask for the moon if they want to. Your the team going to them for the player, not the other way around.

The only incentive for Detroit to come down in price is IF they are also inclined to move him. From what we've been told, that isnt the case. So the GM and in this case the fans here on CF would be silly to settle for anything less than an overpayment.
BStinson and Billy12Bob liked this.
Jul. 9, 2021 at 7:09 p.m.
Just because the wings may see the value in trading bertuzzi doesn't mean they will lose him for cheap. People act like the team has only two options, to accept the trade offered or sign him to an 8 year deal.

If they do decide to move him there are 30 other nhl teams.
BStinson, aedoran and Billy12Bob liked this.
Jul. 9, 2021 at 7:09 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: BStinson
How is basing a decision on periodic medical assessments a “crystal ball”? Where’s this A-/B+ prospect? Yzerman has routinely shown to be a savvy trader so this isn’t new.

How is basing a decision on periodic medical assessments a “crystal ball”? Where’s this A-/B+ prospect? Yzerman has routinely shown to be a savvy trader so this isn’t new.

Hirvonen is the prospect. If you haven’t seen him play you wouldn’t know how good he is.

Sports medical science is not going to give you a 4 year warranty like he’s a household appliance.
HappyKampfers liked this.
Jul. 9, 2021 at 7:12 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: F50marco
Its amazing that ppl think just because you want something, you only have to pay a fair price to get it and the other side has to accept...

What world do you live in?

Detroit is within their right to ask for the moon if they want to. Your the team going to them for the player, not the other way around.

The only incentive for Detroit to come down in price is IF they are also inclined to move him. From what we've been told, that isnt the case. So the GM and in this case the fans here on CF would be silly to settle for anything less than an overpayment.

Who’s to say this isn’t an overpayment? It’s considerably more than Kapanen returned which was thought to be robbery.
Jul. 9, 2021 at 7:13 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
Just because the wings may see the value in trading bertuzzi doesn't mean they will lose him for cheap. People act like the team has only two options, to accept the trade offered or sign him to an 8 year deal.

If they do decide to move him there are 30 other nhl teams.

But which ones are offering more? Personally I think if a team did offer more I’d tell Stevie to fill his boots and make another gm look bad.
Jul. 9, 2021 at 7:16 p.m.
Quoting: GenXHockey
Hirvonen is the prospect. If you haven’t seen him play you wouldn’t know how good he is.

Sports medical science is not going to give you a 4 year warranty like he’s a household appliance.

Maybe I’m a bit stricter on prospect grades but Hirvonen was massively hyped by Toronto at the start of the season (where vast majority of his production came). I’ve actually caught a few of his Liiga games but I’m not going to claim to be a Finish hockey follower. I’d rate Berggren as a A-/B+ prospect and reserve A for blue chippers like Seider. So no I don’t see Hirvonen in the same tier as Berggren and I also don’t buy the narrative “if you’ve seen him play you’d agree”. What kind of argument is that? How about you provide a scouting report to justify the claim or some independent scouting from HP or Athletic to confirm it?

Who said anything about a warranty? You’re just being salty because I called you out for an illogical post and can’t defend yourself. There’s a reason why teams have medical staff…
Billy12Bob liked this.
Jul. 9, 2021 at 7:19 p.m.
Trad Breliving
While I agree with the title, you also have to understand that Detroit has no reason to trade him. That means you’d have to overpay to get him.
GenXHockey and Billy12Bob liked this.
Jul. 9, 2021 at 7:22 p.m.
That’s fine, we probably won’t. YOU WON’T GET WHAT YOU THINK FOR BERT EITHER. It’s always a back and forth and usually an agreement in the middle.

But dear lord some of these low ball offers for Bert… it’s like some of you people are basing your trades off of NHL21 franchise mode, where you can easily rip off the CPU. Go look at the hundred Bert to Toronto posts over the last week alone. Engval, Dermot, and Mikheyev thrown in almost every trade. I’m jumping for joy one of these players finally wasn’t included in a trade for Bert…
Jul. 9, 2021 at 7:25 p.m.
Bertuzzi stinks. Next breathe, puts him on his 1st line on his ACGM.
BStinson liked this.
Jul. 9, 2021 at 7:27 p.m.
Quoting: LetsGoPens69
Bertuzzi stinks. Next breathe, puts him on his 1st line on his ACGM.

That’s about a half of the ACGMs. OP wants a player and then whatever respective fan base says it takes X and then OP berates said player.
Billy12Bob liked this.
Jul. 9, 2021 at 7:28 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Maybe I’m a bit stricter on prospect grades but Hirvonen was massively hyped by Toronto at the start of the season (where vast majority of his production came). I’ve actually caught a few of his Liiga games but I’m not going to claim to be a Finish hockey follower. I’d rate Berggren as a A-/B+ prospect and reserve A for blue chippers like Seider. So no I don’t see Hirvonen in the same tier as Berggren and I also don’t buy the narrative “if you’ve seen him play you’d agree”. What kind of argument is that? How about you provide a scouting report to justify the claim or some independent scouting from HP or Athletic to confirm it?

Who said anything about a warranty? You’re just being salty because I called you out for an illogical post and can’t defend yourself. There’s a reason why teams have medical staff…

I said if you watched him play because his stats are deceiving. Played limited minutes Till about the 2nd half of last season with assat. He’s also a pest and great in all 3 zones. Very high probability to be a middle six C/W in the nhl.

Hirvonen is a solid prospect. There are about 4-5 other prospects in that same range that he could be replaced with and I would be perfectly fine with that. Personally I would keep hirvonen over abramov and even Abruzzese.
Jul. 9, 2021 at 7:32 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

Didn’t see the last paragraph there. Not salty just pointing out that he had an injury that took him out an entire season. One that can not only be re aggravated but could in fact affect his game permanently. There’s always a degree of risk.
HappyKampfers liked this.
Jul. 9, 2021 at 7:38 p.m.
honestly I think that trade would already be my max giving up for bertuzzi depending on how highly both teams have abramov. I understand detroit fans POV but its just not worth the risk/price imo to pay much more for him
MakeMarnerACentre liked this.
Jul. 9, 2021 at 7:41 p.m.
Maybe you aren’t but I’m sure yzerman is.

I think he’s smart enough to weigh the two sides.

-keep him and roll the dice on his recovery to have a 30yr old player when this team is ready to start contending.

Move him pick up a 1st and 2nd with a solid prospect and open up cap space to take on a cap dump (lots of teams will be looking) and pick up another 1st and maybe even more.

I think it all really depends on how much interest he gets.

Yes Yzerman is smart and he was over 30 when he won his first cup. So he is going to base an opinion on age alone. Bertuzzi has 2 21goal seasons and was on pace for 30when he got injured. In an 82 game season that doesn't mean much but in a 56 game season that is significant. So trading a player like Bertuzzi below his value before seeing him play after an injury because he will be 30 when Detroit is contending. How smart is that? Do you really think Toronto is the only team that wants Bertuzzi.

Just because you think you know Yzerman. How many cap dumps has Yzerman taken as a GM? Before you bring up Staal really isn't a cap dump yes Detroit got a 2nd to take him but they needed another LHD and he played in every single game last season and averaged over 18mins a game. Now Yzerman not taking on any cap dumps I don't agree with especially since we will have at least 2 more seasons of a flat cap. just like last season there are plenty of players with 1yr left that teams are looking to unload. Some who knows Yzerman isn't going to make a statement about him taking on dumps because he has never really done it.

A comment by AyyPavy kind of opened my eyes. Now I do think Detroit would trade Bertuzzi and it wouldn't be anything crazy I think a 1 for 1 Bertuzzi for Sandin would do it. This is where the TML fans all go crazy because they don't wan to give up Sandin on about on the same level Detroit fans do ant to give up Bertuzzi.
Jul. 9, 2021 at 8:16 p.m.
leaf fan
Quoting: aedoran
HEY GENIUS WE AREN'T TRYING TO TRADE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

U respect everyone's opinion?
Jul. 9, 2021 at 8:58 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: aedoran
Yes Yzerman is smart and he was over 30 when he won his first cup. So he is going to base an opinion on age alone. Bertuzzi has 2 21goal seasons and was on pace for 30when he got injured. In an 82 game season that doesn't mean much but in a 56 game season that is significant. So trading a player like Bertuzzi below his value before seeing him play after an injury because he will be 30 when Detroit is contending. How smart is that? Do you really think Toronto is the only team that wants Bertuzzi.

Just because you think you know Yzerman. How many cap dumps has Yzerman taken as a GM? Before you bring up Staal really isn't a cap dump yes Detroit got a 2nd to take him but they needed another LHD and he played in every single game last season and averaged over 18mins a game. Now Yzerman not taking on any cap dumps I don't agree with especially since we will have at least 2 more seasons of a flat cap. just like last season there are plenty of players with 1yr left that teams are looking to unload. Some who knows Yzerman isn't going to make a statement about him taking on dumps because he has never really done it.

A comment by AyyPavy kind of opened my eyes. Now I do think Detroit would trade Bertuzzi and it wouldn't be anything crazy I think a 1 for 1 Bertuzzi for Sandin would do it. This is where the TML fans all go crazy because they don't wan to give up Sandin on about on the same level Detroit fans do ant to give up Bertuzzi.

I think Sandin for Bertuzzi in a 1 for 1 is more than fair. But I also think that Sandin might be the replacement for Reilly if he is asking for the moon. I think for that reason dubas may decide to shift his focus to a different player.

There are plenty of teams in a position to move players this off season. I think many of them would come much cheaper. Dvorak, rackell, forsberg and tarasenko come to mind. I think Bertuzzi or garland would probably be the better fits depending on his contract ask and cost to acquire.

Pretty decent ufa class as well.

I just took one look at the trade and wondered why it was getting **** on. It’s a decent offer. Maybe the title is a bit offensive but you have to admit that redwings fans shoot down everything. To me this is a win/win.

Toronto gives up assets they can afford to move, if they need to make a deadline deal they still have the top tier prospects to deal.

Detroit picks up a 1st a 2nd and in my opinion a solid prospect. They also get roughly 5m in cap space to bring in another 1st and possibly more. Another team might want to send money back. It’s not a horrible deal for either side. Especially with Toronto’s track record in the playoffs.
Jul. 9, 2021 at 9:50 p.m.
I said if you watched him play because his stats are deceiving. Played limited minutes Till about the 2nd half of last season with assat. He’s also a pest and great in all 3 zones. Very high probability to be a middle six C/W in the nhl.

Hirvonen is a solid prospect. There are about 4-5 other prospects in that same range that he could be replaced with and I would be perfectly fine with that. Personally I would keep hirvonen over abramov and even Abruzzese.

He started on the top line and played over KK. He had a slow second half so I don’t really agree with your utilization but I do agree on him being a pesk but wonder how effective he will be when playing in the NHL at that size for his style. I could see him being a B prospect like I said not a B+/A-.

Didn’t see the last paragraph there. Not salty just pointing out that he had an injury that took him out an entire season. One that can not only be re aggravated but could in fact affect his game permanently. There’s always a degree of risk.

Nothing in life is going to predict what can happen in the next four years. Like I said, he routinely gets checkups and any team doing due diligence is going to have access to that if a deal is to materialize so less of a risk. Could he re-injury it? Sure, he could also come back and play 100% the next four years.
aedoran liked this.
Jul. 9, 2021 at 10:01 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
He started on the top line and played over KK. He had a slow second half so I don’t really agree with your utilization but I do agree on him being a pesk but wonder how effective he will be when playing in the NHL at that size for his style. I could see him being a B prospect like I said not a B+/A-.

Nothing in life is going to predict what can happen in the next four years. Like I said, he routinely gets checkups and any team doing due diligence is going to have access to that if a deal is to materialize so less of a risk. Could he re-injury it? Sure, he could also come back and play 100% the next four years.

No doubt, but it is an issue. Players coming off of major injuries especially back or knee related are risks. It will affect his value, by how much I don’t know. But my point wasn’t his trade value it was his value to the redwings. His injury, his age and the combination of return and cap space return make him an appealing target to move. But there’s also the human element. All in all it’s an above market value trade.
MakeMarnerACentre liked this.
Jul. 9, 2021 at 11:43 p.m.
Red Wing Nut
Wings (IF THEY TRADE BERTUZZI) WILL get full value & more..why?

Bertuzzi is a playoff player style
Young & marchand lite
Pain in azz to play against
Cheap for quality age & production (now& future)

Mostly cuz Steve Yzerman is likely the best GM IN NHL & SMARTER than Dubas..sorry baby buds but wings fans are right .. But enjoy ur cup drought ✌
aedoran and Billy12Bob liked this.
Jul. 10, 2021 at 1:02 a.m.
Who’s to say this isn’t an overpayment? It’s considerably more than Kapanen returned which was thought to be robbery.

Detroit......Detroit gets to choose if its the right amount of overpay to accept or not.

Either way this wasn't in regards to the above trade, rather the idea if telling Detroit fans that they wont be getting what they want out of the deal.

Thats the beauty of owning the players rights, they can choose whatever they want to do. So yeah, they'll be getting what they want or they simply keep the player.
GenXHockey, aedoran and Billy12Bob liked this.
Jul. 10, 2021 at 2:07 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: F50marco
Detroit......Detroit gets to choose if its the right amount of overpay to accept or not.

Either way this wasn't in regards to the above trade, rather the idea if telling Detroit fans that they wont be getting what they want out of the deal.

Thats the beauty of owning the players rights, they can choose whatever they want to do. So yeah, they'll be getting what they want or they simply keep the player.

The fans don’t choose… I think that’s the point. Returns on players are usually lower than what fans expect.
Jul. 10, 2021 at 12:30 p.m.
Quoting: AyyPavy
U respect everyone's opinion?

Go back and reread that I didn't say everyones.

This is what I said "There are Toronto fans that even if I don't agree with them I still respect their opinion."
GenXHockey liked this.
Jul. 10, 2021 at 12:38 p.m.
Drover006
The fans don’t choose… I think that’s the point. Returns on players are usually lower than what fans expect.

It's usually quite different unless they know a piece already
Jul. 10, 2021 at 3:36 p.m.

We're literally on a Armchair GM site. The whole point is that we role play what we'd do if we were the GM's. My point remains, you don't tell the other party what they have to expect when they hold all the chips.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll