Forums/Armchair-GM

Lets Just Rebuild

Created by: Caerii
Team: 2021-22 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 7, 2021
Published: Aug. 7, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think if Kaprizov is hell bent on hitting UFA and getting paid, it should be another team's problem. Keep Fiala if he's willing to sign long term still, you still need good players after the rebuild is over.

I chose these three teams because it feels like they're all ready to be done rebuilding, and would value these specific pieces for various reasons. I recognize fans of these teams probably aren't going to be happy with the returns they're giving up.

From the Wild point of view, this team's going to suck a lot this year, maybe getting us into Wright/Savoie/Lambert territory, maybe not, but definitely getting us a great prospect, along with several other 1sts over the next couple of years to keep building a strong prospect pool the way LA and Ottawa have done.

You would have a significant pool of prospects to build around, and could move some for other areas of need when the time comes. Adding Turcotte and Mercer to Boldy, Rossi, Lambos and Wallstedt would give you incredible depth, and that's before you have five more 1sts and three more 2nds in two years.

Finally, a disclaimer, none of this is realistic and I know that. Beyond the values I'm going to get flamed for, it's pretty much a given that we're not going to be going full scorched earth here, and I understand why.
Trades
MIN
  1. Brown, Dustin
  2. Turcotte, Alex
  3. 2022 1st round pick (LAK)
  4. 2023 4th round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
LA has given indications that their rebuild is over.
Dustin Brown included for cap purposes, only has a 7 team no-trade list.
The 1st is top 5 protected.
The 4th is because we need more leftover Penguins assets.
LAK
  1. Kaprizov, Kirill [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Kaprizov signs 3x7M.
MIN
  1. Mercer, Dawson
  2. 2023 1st round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
The 1st is intentionally a 2023 pick, top 10 protected, would turn into a 2024 unprotected 1st.
NJD
  1. Fiala, Kevin [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
This trade is entirely contingent on whether Fiala is willing to sign long term in Minnesota or not. If he doesn't, and IS willing to sign with term in New Jersey, this happens, if neither of those conditions are met, it doesn't.
MIN
  1. Zaitsev, Nikita
  2. 2022 1st round pick (OTT)
  3. 2022 2nd round pick (OTT)
Additional Details:
Zaitsev is for cap purposes.
The 1st is lottery protected, Ottawa would have the choice to defer to a 2023 unprotected 1st.
The 2nd is conditional, Ottawa gives their 2nd in whichever year they don't give their 1st.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$66,035,255$0$0$15,464,745
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C
UFA - 8
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 7, 2021 at 8:34 p.m.
OP do you think there’s value in signing Kap to a 3x7 and then retaining 50%? Like would the delta in trade value gained be worth the 3.5M in dead cap? And maybe more importantly would that delta be significant?

Edit - the idea being that Kap at 3.5M increases the demand simply due to more teams being able to take that on. I think you’d have quite a few less suitors when it’s 7M just due to other cap commitments, but maybe I’m reading too much into that
Aug. 7, 2021 at 8:38 p.m.
Quoting: drmantalban
OP do you think there’s value in signing Kap to a 3x7 and then retaining 50%? Like would the delta in trade value gained be worth the 3.5M in dead cap? And maybe more importantly would that delta be significant?

I'm not sure what the difference would be in value, but you would have 31 teams in the league making an offer at 3x3.5, versus maybe 10-15 making an offer at 3x7. So to whatever degree that kind of competition would drive up the return? Regardless, if we're moving Kaprizov anyway, retaining like that should probably be a consideration.

For what it's worth, you still wouldn't get a Lafreniere or Byfield type piece, but you might get an extra pick or quality prospect.
jnowariak and Wildwinswhen liked this.
Aug. 7, 2021 at 8:52 p.m.
Quoting: Caerii
I'm not sure what the difference would be in value, but you would have 31 teams in the league making an offer at 3x3.5, versus maybe 10-15 making an offer at 3x7. So to whatever degree that kind of competition would drive up the return? Regardless, if we're moving Kaprizov anyway, retaining like that should probably be a consideration.

For what it's worth, you still wouldn't get a Lafreniere or Byfield type piece, but you might get an extra pick or quality prospect.

Yeah that was my thought. If you move Kap, you’re committing to a rebuild so the extra 3.5M on MINs cap is a nonissue. And as you said, 3 years of Kap at 3.5 creates enormous demand.

Places with a lot pressure to win could lead to an overpay. TOR doesn’t have the right pieces, but that market would presumably be all over that. I could even see EDM paying a healthy price. They’d have 2 absolutely stacked lines.

I think you’re right in that it doesn’t tip the scales enough to really change the return, but would probably be net positive nonetheless.
Wildwinswhen liked this.
Aug. 7, 2021 at 9:05 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Mercer looks to be a stud on both sides of puck.
But Fiala locked up long-term may be worth it for NJD.

Fair deal in my view.

Reasonable starting point whether it gets it done or not. Fiala would mess really well with Nico/Hughes and amplify their primes.
Aug. 7, 2021 at 9:40 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Interesting. If I was in the Devils position, I would think Fiala to play with Hischier at ~6x6.5 for this cost is a no brainer. I think this is great value for the price.

If Fiala takes a discount and signs long term, then I would do it

It doesn't seem like that's the case right now but it could happen
Aug. 7, 2021 at 9:42 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
What is his asking price? I haven't seen any numbers from any credible sources.

I forgot the source but I saw between 7-8M

Which does make sense because the Wild sent Fiala to arbitration
Aug. 7, 2021 at 9:46 p.m.
Quoting: Devil1122
I forgot the source but I saw between 7-8M

Which does make sense because the Wild sent Fiala to arbitration

7M is more than fair for him. That's not even remotely an outrageous ask if true.
Aug. 7, 2021 at 9:55 p.m.
If Fiala takes a discount and signs long term, then I would do it

It doesn't seem like that's the case right now but it could happen

I guess it depends on what you consider a discount. I strongly believe you could get him for 6x6.5M, at which rate I think he’d be a great addition. 6x6 or under is what I would consider discount territory for a player of his caliber. He’s much more elite than a lot of people who don’t watch him consistently realize.
Devil liked this.
Aug. 7, 2021 at 10:28 p.m.
What's sad is doing this makes the Parise/Suter buyouts look even worse with the 4 extra years of $1.7m of dead cap.

I've gone with the Risto and Reinhart trades as comps for Dumba and Fiala. Kaprizov I really have no clue on what his return would actually be.

I'd try and trade off Talbot too. I don't think he'd get a Kemps return, but he should net something useful and make the team worse in the process.
Aug. 7, 2021 at 10:33 p.m.
Quoting: wabit
What's sad is doing this makes the Parise/Suter buyouts look even worse with the 4 extra years of $1.7m of dead cap.

I've gone with the Risto and Reinhart trades as comps for Dumba and Fiala. Kaprizov I really have no clue on what his return would actually be.

I'd try and trade off Talbot too. I don't think he'd get a Kemps return, but he should net something useful and make the team worse in the process.

The Ristolainen trade was an overpayment, but Dumba is also much better than Ristolainen, and has an additional year.
The Reinhart trade isn't a good comp because should come with an extension, Reinhart didn't. Not to mention Fiala is a better player.
I'm not even sure why you mentioned Kuemper as it pertains to a Talbot trade. Kuemper is in another league. Talbot would return maybe a mid round pick. Talbot level goalies are a dime a dozen.

Point being, those trades tell us nothing about what these players would return.
Aug. 7, 2021 at 11:06 p.m.
The Ristolainen trade was an overpayment, but Dumba is also much better than Ristolainen, and has an additional year.
The Reinhart trade isn't a good comp because should come with an extension, Reinhart didn't. Not to mention Fiala is a better player.
I'm not even sure why you mentioned Kuemper as it pertains to a Talbot trade. Kuemper is in another league. Talbot would return maybe a mid round pick. Talbot level goalies are a dime a dozen.

Point being, those trades tell us nothing about what these players would return.

Risto actually puts up points as an offensive d-man, where Dumba hasn't. Dumba has always had much better partners (and overall team) to cover his flaws too. The extra year for Dumba helps, but they are closer than people realize.

Reinhart and Fiala put up the same numbers, play the same position, and are both RFAs. The only real difference is Reinhart can play center in a pinch.

Talbot is a slightly above average goalie, teams need that, and he's a cheap cap hit. MN can retain some salary and take back some bad cap; that'll get a 2nd+ for him.

If you're going to sell, then sell off what isn't part of the future. Talbot is not part of MN's future. Dump Zucc and Spurgeon when they lose their full NTC's. Foligno and Hartman go at the TDL (this year or next). Greenway is a maybe to keep, depending on the term he'll sign for on his next deal.

Either commit to a 4 year tank or don't. Sitting on the fence just leaves MN picking in the 8-10 range every season and continues the good, but not great they've been their entire existence.
Aug. 8, 2021 at 12:34 a.m.
Quoting: jnowariak
Reasonable starting point whether it gets it done or not. Fiala would mess really well with Nico/Hughes and amplify their primes.

We have seen Fiala and Nico together for Swiss team and it’s the best I have seen Hischier offensively.
jnowariak and MNCountryClub liked this.
Aug. 8, 2021 at 12:41 a.m.
I guess it depends on what you consider a discount. I strongly believe you could get him for 6x6.5M, at which rate I think he’d be a great addition. 6x6 or under is what I would consider discount territory for a player of his caliber. He’s much more elite than a lot of people who don’t watch him consistently realize.

If it is 6 x $6.5 million, I don’t see why MIN wouldn’t resign him. It is almost in acquiring teams interest for him to want more…to force Guerins hand into selling him.
jnowariak and MNCountryClub liked this.
Aug. 8, 2021 at 2:04 a.m.
If it is 6 x $6.5 million, I don’t see why MIN wouldn’t resign him. It is almost in acquiring teams interest for him to want more…to force Guerins hand into selling him.

I don’t think they’re comfortable with term. Not 100% sure why but I’d guess they just don’t see him as part of the core they want to bet on, ie they aren’t going for it now. Each contract looks different for every team, the beauty of moving him while he’s unsigned or as an RFA after a 1 year arb award is that the team getting him gets to decide the term.
MNCountryClub liked this.
Aug. 8, 2021 at 2:35 a.m.

That is a fair offer. I just don't think Fiala wants that to be tied to MN for that long. He played with garbage linemates last season. It's looking like more of the same for him this season. Add in MN has no cap to add quality players for the next 4 years.

Look at it from Fiala's POV. He was jerked around in NSH and has been jerked around in MN. He can suck it up and deal with whatever his 2 year arb award is and then walk into UFA and get paid to play where he wants. Or he can sign for term, get paid, stay in MN, and maybe not play meaningful hockey for the next few years.
Aug. 8, 2021 at 1:47 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

Fiala is very underrated. Him and Nico were lethal for Swiss. But at the right price. 6x6.5 would be good
Aug. 8, 2021 at 1:49 p.m.
Fiala is very underrated. Him and Nico were lethal for Swiss. But at the right price. 6x6.5 would be good

I’d be sad to see Fiala go, but that would probably be my favorite landing spot for him. I’d def watch a lot more devils games just to see those 2 light it up together.
Devil liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll