Forums/Armchair-GM

Ekholm and a Dance with Vegas

Created by: BeterChiarelli
Team: 2021-22 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 24, 2021
Published: Aug. 24, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If acquiring Khudobin would be enough to drop the questions surrounding Edmonton's early-season odds at making a run for the playoffs from two down to one then acquiring Ekholm near or at the deadline erases most doubts about the team entirely. Suddenly, this looks like a team that should scare the Vegas Knights and any of the contending teams in the league. It's built on the concept of the Muzzin trade but with Benson and Samorukov as more valuable prospects, I have Nashvile taking on Russell for cap purposes and offering a midround pick instead of retention.

I have the lines set should Tippett opt to run the Oilers' big three centermen on their own lines. I have a feeling last year's sweep to the Jets highlighted that one scoring line maketh not a successful NHL team and that we should expect something akin to this should the Oilers make the 2022 dance. I have Holloway being called up in favour of Benson/Perlini by January BUT I'm not ruling out the chance that Perlini could find a good spot on this roster. Kassian on the first line isn't optimal, but neither Holland or Tippett would have him out of the roster. His mustard is appreciated and should Hyman-McDavid click, Kassian won't be needed to score on that line and can instead engage in silly-season playoff antics. Holloway assumes almost the exact same role as RNH on the Draisaitl line while bringing more size and grit. I expect the third line to run house on its Pacific division opponents: the chemistry between RNH and Puljujarvi is known, and RNH's defensive acumen makes it such that both Foegele and Puljujarvi could run a very effective two-man forecheck. The fourth line gives Tippett his desired dirty-minutes line but this time with the actual ability to move their feet and contribute on the off goal.

I genuinely believe that all this roster hinges on is Bouchard emerging as a top-4 option and Keith being able to tread water as a top-4 LHD or function as a decent #3LD. If he reaches that (or exceeds it) and the Oilers make these kinds of moves I would genuinely be unsurprised to see them make the WCF or the Cup Final. You shouldn't bet against an improved Oilers offence backed by competent defenders and goaltending.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
2$1,750,000
Trades
EDM
  1. Hults, Cole
  2. Kessel, Phil ($3,400,000 retained)
EDM
  1. Khudobin, Anton
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (DAL)
EDM
ARI
  1. 2022 2nd round pick (DAL)
EDM
  1. Ekholm, Mattias
  2. 2022 4th round pick (NSH)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$81,180,301$669,339$1,307,500$319,699

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LW, C
RFA - 3
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW
RFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 8
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
UFA - 1
$834,167$834,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
C
RFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RD
UFA - 4
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 24, 2021 at 4:42 p.m.
nhlnathan
Predators decline they arent rebuilding
Aug. 24, 2021 at 4:44 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: nathanallan
Predators decline they arent rebuilding

All evidence to the contrary: they just flipped Ellis and none of their top forwards are capable of taking this team far in the playoffs. The sudden re-emergence of the Blackhawks should give the Predators pause: be bad for a year or two when there are genuinely elite prospects available at the top of the next two drafts and quickly re-emerge while Josi and Saros are still effective.
oilersfan150 liked this.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 4:50 p.m.
Patient Sharks Fan
Preds can get much better for Ekholm.
mokumboi liked this.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
Leafs are bad
First round loss incoming and the Kessel trade is hurting my eyes. Both of them
Aug. 24, 2021 at 5:18 p.m.
Leafs are bad
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
Elaborate, if you would.

I don't think we can even consider Russell in this context, he's there in place of retention.

Samorukov is an NHL-ready blueline piece. Benson is an NHL-ready third line LW. The only reason Benson may not be on the NHL roster to start next year is that there are three LW's already ahead of him on the depth chart and Holland didn't draft him (thus doesn't have the commitment or loyalty to the prospect).

The kicker here is that Edmonton might be offering the highest pick in exchange for Ekholm. Most people and their dogs are predicting the Oilers to barely squeak into the playoffs. That means they could be offering a pick below #20. Who else has need, not a want, for a defender of Ekholm's calibre or can offer such a pick? I seriously doubt they trade him within the division. Off the top of my head maybe the Islanders make a serious offer, but the expectation again is that they're finishing near the top of their division. If the prospects offered are going to be about equivalent to Benson/Samorukov, it'll boil down to the Oilers having the better pick.

Care to leave any genuine feedback before I'm forced to assume my moderator duties and hand out a warning?

Unless the Flames actually acquire Eichel (I kind of want them to?) there will be no genuine threat to either Vegas or Edmonton in the first round of the playoffs. The Flames don't have the depth, Seattle doesn't have forwards, the Canucks don't have a blueline, and all three of the Californian teams are out of the question.

I think Phil Kessel is worth more than that. I also don't think they should trade him once they get him. As long as smith can keep on playing half decent, they don't need a goalie. I also think that Dallas can't get rid of Goalies because of bishops injuries.

Kessel put up good numbers in a bad situation down in Arizona, and another top 6-9 forward won't hurt Edmonton's chances to make it farther in the playoffs.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 5:20 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: SadLeafsFan_WillWeEverWin
I think Phil Kessel is worth more than that. I also don't think they should trade him once they get him. As long as smith can keep on playing half decent, they don't need a goalie. I also think that Dallas can't get rid of Goalies because of bishops injuries.

Kessel put up good numbers in a bad situation down in Arizona, and another top 6-9 forward won't hurt Edmonton's chances to make it farther in the playoffs.

Oh my apologies, you're misreading the trade.

It's a three-way deal between Arizona, Dallas, and Edmonton such that Edmonton improves its goaltending and Dallas obtains Kessel.

I reckon the cost to dump Koskinen AND acquire Kessel would yes be much higher than I have here. Instead, two dirt-cheap roster pieces and two more second round picks in exchange for Kessel is about equivalent value.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 5:22 p.m.
Leafs are bad
Oh my apologies, you're misreading the trade.

It's a three-way deal between Arizona, Dallas, and Edmonton such that Edmonton improves its goaltending and Dallas obtains Kessel.

I reckon the cost to dump Koskinen AND acquire Kessel would yes be much higher than I have here. Instead, two dirt-cheap roster pieces and two more second round picks in exchange for Kessel is about equivalent value.

Oh my bad, I can see now that it's a decent trade. Thanks for explaining
Aug. 24, 2021 at 5:24 p.m.
The right to Wright
Imagine if we could sign Ekholm aswell. But that wouldn't be easy tho. If he wanna chase the big bucks he could get 7m but maybe you give him a 7 year deal and he takes less money because of it. Or there could even be an 8 year extension in place that takes place during the trade. Im thinking Hyman money on a 7 year deal and 4.5-5m on an 8 year deal. I love the deal tho. We could really use him. If you can play McDavid, Leon and Nuge on their respective lines you automatically have 3 good lines you can count on. Time to win a round!
Aug. 24, 2021 at 5:29 p.m.
mokumboi

Care to leave any genuine feedback before I'm forced to assume my moderator duties and hand out a warning?

Ummm are you serious with this bull****?
Aug. 24, 2021 at 5:32 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Connor_McJesus_97
Imagine if we could sign Ekholm aswell. But that wouldn't be easy tho. If he wanna chase the big bucks he could get 7m but maybe you give him a 7 year deal and he takes less money because of it. Or there could even be an 8 year extension in place that takes place during the trade. Im thinking Hyman money on a 7 year deal and 4.5-5m on an 8 year deal. I love the deal tho. We could really use him. If you can play McDavid, Leon and Nuge on their respective lines you automatically have 3 good lines you can count on. Time to win a round!

Financially it would never work unless Keith retired next season, and admittedly I'd rather they went and dumped that piss-pot full of money on Parayko while flipping Barrie for a quality one- or two-year option on LHD to shelter Broberg.

As this offseason has progressed, my optimism for the team declined. I know I make this same three-way ARI/DAL/EDM deal in every AGM I do, but adding Ekholm to the mix completely re-arranges how I feel about this team. God forbid Holland pulls this off I completely believe this roster to be *objectively* the best in the NHL so long as Bouchard and Keith excel in these given roles. The best forwards, a really good blueline, and steady goaltending is all they need to win the damn thing.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 5:36 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: mokumboi

Absolutely: their reply wasn't in compliance with the rules - and neither is yours - and I gave them an out to fix it instead of just dropping a warning. It was a teachable moment and once they elaborated on what was going on the conversation was able to continue. I encourage constructive feedback and it didn't feel right to go straight to a warning because they're new.

Are you getting upset that I asked another user to follow the rules, which I'm supposed to anyways? Explain to me why you believe my reply to be bs. I'm very open to a two-way dialogue here so long as you're willing to respect the fact that I'm not here to cater to the userbase. I and the other moderators are here to make sure the rules aren't being broken.
Radu47 liked this.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 5:48 p.m.
Vegan Commie Hipster
Quoting: mokumboi

I feel they're going a bit overboard but on the flipside the replies on this site are generally garbage and it's nice to see someone confront it
Aug. 24, 2021 at 6:08 p.m.
Vegan Commie Hipster
I really appreciate you confronting reply guys here on their lousy excuse for input it really is a huge problem here and in part why I'm using this site less

So many bad energies within the lousy input

This site is so cool it *could* be a total paradise 🏝
Aug. 24, 2021 at 6:08 p.m.
Vegan Commie Hipster
Really good post

Thx

I think you did a good job fixing Holland's mistakes
Aug. 24, 2021 at 6:12 p.m.
Elaborate, if you would.

I don't think we can even consider Russell in this context, he's there in place of retention.

Samorukov is an NHL-ready blueline piece. Benson is an NHL-ready third line LW. The only reason Benson may not be on the NHL roster to start next year is that there are three LW's already ahead of him on the depth chart and Holland didn't draft him (thus doesn't have the commitment or loyalty to the prospect).

The kicker here is that Edmonton might be offering the highest pick in exchange for Ekholm. Most people and their dogs are predicting the Oilers to barely squeak into the playoffs. That means they could be offering a pick below #20. Who else has need, not a want, for a defender of Ekholm's calibre or can offer such a pick? I seriously doubt they trade him within the division. Off the top of my head maybe the Islanders make a serious offer, but the expectation again is that they're finishing near the top of their division. If the prospects offered are going to be about equivalent to Benson/Samorukov, it'll boil down to the Oilers having the better pick.

Assuming NSH does decide to trade Ekholm, this proposal has some merit for the Preds - but I still don't love it for them.

I do believe a 2022 1st from the Oilers has the best chance to be a high one, compared to one from teams like BOS, TOR, WPG, NYI, etc that would be interested in adding Ekholm. If they were in any other division, I'd consider EDM to be a lottery team, not a bubble team. I think the team you've built here looks quite strong, but just looking at their current roster doesn't give me confidence (even with the addition of Ekholm). However, the Pacific being the crapshoot it's shaping up to be, EDM has a decent enough chance to get a favourable playoff birth. NSH can't bank on that pick being a guaranteed home run.

The prospects aren't bad, but NSH already has a handful of ready for the NHL guys on LD, and for the bottom six. Benson and Samorukov are fine, but they're not bringing anything to NSH's prospect pool that they're lacking. I could see them getting lost/underutilized in a numbers game. I don't know that I value either of them much more than the 4th NSH is giving up here. If this trade were to go through, I think NSH would be pinning all of their hopes on the draft pick, when it comes to the return. Any contributions from Benson or Samorukov at the NHL level would be considered a pleasant surprise.

As cap dumps go, Russell's salary and term are quite reasonable. Another vet defenceman would be in the way, from a roster perspective though. It would actually be preferable for NSH to retain the equivalent salary on Ekholm, instead of taking Russell on.

So I think NSH only takes this return if they believe strongly that EDM will be bad enough to miss the playoffs. Otherwise, I think they could get a 1st plus secondary assets they'd have more interest in, from another team.
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 6:19 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: gmgb
Assuming NSH does decide to trade Ekholm, this proposal has some merit for the Preds - but I still don't love it for them.

I do believe a 2022 1st from the Oilers has the best chance to be a high one, compared to one from teams like BOS, TOR, WPG, NYI, etc that would be interested in adding Ekholm. If they were in any other division, I'd consider EDM to be a lottery team, not a bubble team. I think the team you've built here looks quite strong, but just looking at their current roster doesn't give me confidence (even with the addition of Ekholm). However, the Pacific being the crapshoot it's shaping up to be, EDM has a decent enough chance to get a favourable playoff birth. NSH can't bank on that pick being a guaranteed home run.

The prospects aren't bad, but NSH already has a handful of ready for the NHL guys on LD, and for the bottom six. Benson and Samorukov are fine, but they're not bringing anything to NSH's prospect pool that they're lacking. I could see them getting lost/underutilized in a numbers game. I don't know that I value either of them much more than the 4th NSH is giving up here. If this trade were to go through, I think NSH would be pinning all of their hopes on the draft pick, when it comes to the return. Any contributions from Benson or Samorukov at the NHL level would be considered a pleasant surprise.

As cap dumps go, Russell's salary and term are quite reasonable. Another vet defenceman would be in the way, from a roster perspective though. It would actually be preferable for NSH to retain the equivalent salary on Ekholm, instead of taking Russell on.

So I think NSH only takes this return if they believe strongly that EDM will be bad enough to miss the playoffs. Otherwise, I think they could get a 1st plus secondary assets they'd have more interest in, from another team.

I don't hate doing the retention over Russell. I was hoping to bank on that tiny bit of value that might exist should the Predators look to use their retentions on names like Forsberg and Johansson.

The only real alternative I can think of that makes sense for the Oilers would be to just offer the 2022 and 2023 firsts for Ekholm or, especially if the Predators don't mind waiting, picks from 2024. I think in that case Benson at a minimum would have to be included in the offer strictly as a value-now piece.

I suspect Broberg, Bourgault, and Holloway are off-limits given Holland's affinity for them and I'd absolutely hate to lose Lavoie on a rental. Are there other pieces of intrigue for the Predators? Tullio or Petrov come to my mind.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 6:38 p.m.
I don't hate doing the retention over Russell. I was hoping to bank on that tiny bit of value that might exist should the Predators look to use their retentions on names like Forsberg and Johansson.

The only real alternative I can think of that makes sense for the Oilers would be to just offer the 2022 and 2023 firsts for Ekholm or, especially if the Predators don't mind waiting, picks from 2024. I think in that case Benson at a minimum would have to be included in the offer strictly as a value-now piece.

If you're offering two 1sts, I think that would jump EDM to the head of the pack of potential Ekholm suitors. Off the top of my head, I can't think of an available prospect from a contender that NSH would value more than getting a second 1st rounder, in an Ekholm trade.

I suspect Broberg, Bourgault, and Holloway are off-limits given Holland's affinity for them and I'd absolutely hate to lose Lavoie on a rental. Are there other pieces of intrigue for the Predators? Tullio or Petrov come to my mind.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 6:50 p.m.
Simpleton
Right now Ekholm may be worth a 1st round pick and "A" prospect. As the season progresses, that value might drop a bit because unless his contract is extended he becomes a pure rental.

Even with Arizona gone, the Pacific looks pretty weak in comparison to the other four divisions. Barring a catastrophe, the Oilers should easily be a playoff team. I believe adding Ekholm would provide a massive improvement in depth and definitely elevate Edmonton's chances of competing against Vegas, and the usual collection of Central Division teams. If Holland can swing a deal for a goaltender with a successful playoff record the temptation to pursue a guy like Ekholm grows. Of course the Oilers can't afford to pay Ekholm unless Keith retires and frees up significant cap space. So how much should Edmonton pay for a guy who will almost certainly be a playoff rental? Personally, if the acquisition gives Edmonton even odds to make the finals, I think the 2022 2nd round pick and a good prospect should be on the table, and a willingness to up the offer to the 2022 1st round pick should exist.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 8:27 p.m.

I see the text from my last post didn't work for whatever reason, so let's try again.

If EDM offered two 1sts for Ekholm, I think that would shoot them to the top of the list of potential suitors. I can't see any of the other contenders offering a prospect that NSH would value as much as a second 1st.
Aug. 26, 2021 at 11:30 p.m.
Ban Price trades
@gmonwy just testing to see if you're getting tagged
Aug. 26, 2021 at 11:31 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
gmonwy just testing to see if you're getting tagged

Yeah I am now.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question: