Forums/Armchair-GM

Small tweaks plus Rielly Trade

Created by: EnKay29
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 27, 2021
Published: Aug. 27, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Small tweaks to the lineup to help with cap problems and try and get more assets. I think Rielly should be traded. As much as a like him as a player the leafs need to get assets back for him (or re-sign him) instead of letting him walk. Zac Jones and a first is a trade ive seen before on here and I think it is fair value. The other 2 trade are just small things id try and do. Also, I didnt know how to extend someone on this page (if someone can let me know in the comments that would be great). But i wanted to sign Rasmus Sandin as well to a 6 year contract paying him 3 Million per Year. It is similar to the Sam Girard contract by the Avalance but with less money becuase Sandin has played less games at the time of the contract. Girard got 5 million over 7 years at over 150 games played while Sandin has only played 37 but put up really good numbers. It is a risk but a worth while one for both the leafs and Sandin who hasnt played even half a season yet gets 18 million guaranteed.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$750,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Curran, Kodie
  2. Mahura, Josh
Additional Details:
Toronto gets NHL cap relief while boosting their AHL team. I like Curran but im not sure if he is NHL caliber but decent depth. Basically getting a prospect back that you can hopefully develop and cap compliancy is the main reason for the trade.
ANA
  1. Engvall, Pierre
Additional Details:
Anaheim has a lot of cap space but are a budget team. They get Curran and his $1 million dollars off the books for a realtively young and productive bottom 6 forward. Engvall scored 0.29 PPG playing in a 4th line role. That would make him a top 9 scorers on the Ducks. The cost of taking on that money is a prospect. I picked Mahura because i liked him, with Lindholm, Fowler, Larsson and Guhle as NHL caliber players plus Zellweger, LaCombe and Thun coming up as Left D. I figured Mahura who is already 23 could be expendable. I could also see it costing too much for only a million dollars in relief. If thats the case a prospect like Josh Lopina, Axel Andersson or Max Golod could come back instead.
TOR
  1. Pitlick, Rem
Additional Details:
Rem Pitlick i think is NHL caliber, similar tear player as Rubins. He is already 24 and has only played 9 NHL games. This is just a swap for better opportunity seeing as the leafs are weak down the middle other than the top guys
NSH
  1. Rubins, Kristians
Additional Details:
Almost NHL ready D man who Kyle Dubas named specifically as someone they value. He seems like the type of D that the Predators like (Tall, Lanky and can skate). He is blocked in Toronto but might have the opportunity in Nashville.
TOR
  1. Gettinger, Tim
  2. Jones, Zachary
  3. 2022 1st round pick (NYR)
Additional Details:
Moving Rielly before he walks in Free Agency and the leafs cant lose him for nothing. Getting Zac Jones who can hopefully develop into a similar style of player as Reilly. A first can be used in future trades and Gettinger is a former Greyhound who scored well in the AHL but is already 23 so not much value.
NYR
  1. Rielly, Morgan
Additional Details:
Rielly signs an extension after the trade so the value might be higher than expected. The cost of D men this offseason has been crazy. Risto went for the 13th pick and a second and he is not even close to the same level as rielly. So the cost of a First that will probably be mid to late and a pretty good prospect is a good price for a Top Pair D.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$78,425,947$0$400,000$3,074,053
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 3
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$917,831$917,831
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,800,000$3,800,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 27, 2021 at 8:27 p.m.
Banned
Edited Aug. 27, 2021 at 9:12 p.m.
The Rangers don't need Rielly though. They have a pipeline of very good LD's coming up right now. Not to mention the space they'll next year for Zib, Fox and Kakko.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 27, 2021 at 8:52 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
"The cost of taking on that money"?!?!? Curran's cap hit is $1 million and Engvall's is $1.25 million. And we wouldn't pay more than a fifth-round draft pick for him even if we needed yet another bottom-6 left-handed forward, which we don't. And right now, Josh Mahura has the same standing in our plans as Timothy Liljegren does in yours.

No, no, no.
LosPatos and TZ11 liked this.
Aug. 27, 2021 at 8:59 p.m.
Drover006
Our AHL team will be stack regardless.

High on Rubins so that's just me if keep
Aug. 27, 2021 at 11:58 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
"The cost of taking on that money"?!?!? Curran's cap hit is $1 million and Engvall's is $1.25 million. And we wouldn't pay more than a fifth-round draft pick for him even if we needed yet another bottom-6 left-handed forward, which we don't. And right now, Josh Mahura has the same standing in our plans as Timothy Liljegren does in yours.

No, no, no.

It saves useless money. Curran makes a million to play in the AHL while Engvall makes just over a million to contribute in the NHL. The actual dollars saved isnt their but the quality on the dollars spent changes. That is massive. And sure the Mahura might be too much that is why i mentioned the other prospects in the comments below.
Aug. 28, 2021 at 12:03 a.m.
Quoting: Mr_Gardoki
The Rangers don't need Rielly though. They have a pipeline of very good LD's coming up right now. Not to mention the space they'll next year for Zib, Fox and Kakko.

Yes they do. But in this scenario they lose Jones (because the trade). So left side they are left with Miller, Robertson and Lindgren. I do not think any of those guys will be as good as Rielly. So not getting a top 2 D man because young D men who might be top 4 D is kinda dumb in my opinion. They also have 28 million dollars in cap space next offseason, not factoring in any trades they can make to clear up space.
Aug. 28, 2021 at 1:03 a.m.
Jah1722
Quoting: EnKay29
It saves useless money. Curran makes a million to play in the AHL while Engvall makes just over a million to contribute in the NHL. The actual dollars saved isnt their but the quality on the dollars spent changes. That is massive. And sure the Mahura might be too much that is why i mentioned the other prospects in the comments below.

Engvall sitting in the press box is better than Curran in SD?
TZ11 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 28, 2021 at 10:04 a.m.
Banned
Yes they do. But in this scenario they lose Jones (because the trade). So left side they are left with Miller, Robertson and Lindgren. I do not think any of those guys will be as good as Rielly. So not getting a top 2 D man because young D men who might be top 4 D is kinda dumb in my opinion. They also have 28 million dollars in cap space next offseason, not factoring in any trades they can make to clear up space.

Rielly isn't worth it for them to clear up that space when they have Jones. Why would they trade a young player on an ELC for a player they'd have to trade to clear up? Miller is already on his way towards being much better than Rielly. The Rangers are not in an immediate need to trade away quality futures for someone like Rielly.

Rangers decline quickly.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 28, 2021 at 1:19 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
It saves useless money. Curran makes a million to play in the AHL while Engvall makes just over a million to contribute in the NHL. The actual dollars saved isnt their but the quality on the dollars spent changes. That is massive.

I cannot for the life of me imagine where you got this insane concept of "good money vs. bad money." There is no difference between money spent at the NHL level and money spent at the AHL level; whether a team is $9 million under the cap or $11 million or $5 million is irrelevant. And just where do you think Engvall's $1.25 million is going? Anaheim already has 14 forwards in line for the 2021-2022 season, and every single one of them is worth more to us than Engvall could ever possibly be, so even assuming that our GM lost his mind and acquired Engvall, it would be to replace someone else, which doesn't shift money onto the NHL roster at all. And do you think that if we traded Kodie Curran, we wouldn't replace him on the San Diego roster with another defenseman? So that doesn't shift money OFF the AHL books, either.

Your entire theory is cuckoo, and even worse than your over-evaluation of Pierre Engvall as someone we would trade Kodie Curran for even-up, let alone add anything more than an equipment bag.
Aug. 28, 2021 at 1:22 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Jah1722
Engvall sitting in the press box is better than Curran in SD?

Quoting: Mr_Gardoki
Rielly isn't worth it for them to clear up that space when they have Jones. Why would they trade a young player on an ELC for a player they'd have to trade to clear up? Miller is already on his way towards being much better than Rielly. The Rangers are not in an immediate need to trade away quality futures for someone like Rielly.

Rangers decline quickly.

Have you guys EVER in your life seen anything more insane than the idea that trading Kodie Curran for Pierre Engvall would turn "bad" AHL money into "good" NHL money? This one really takes the cake.
Aug. 28, 2021 at 1:26 p.m.
Banned
Have you guys EVER in your life seen anything more insane than the idea that trading Kodie Curran for Pierre Engvall would turn "bad" AHL money into "good" NHL money? This one really takes the cake.

But everyone wants Engvall! Take a look at one of the newer TOR threads sending Engvall to SEA. It's a hoot.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 28, 2021 at 2:16 p.m.
I cannot for the life of me imagine where you got this insane concept of "good money vs. bad money." There is no difference between money spent at the NHL level and money spent at the AHL level; whether a team is $9 million under the cap or $11 million or $5 million is irrelevant. And just where do you think Engvall's $1.25 million is going? Anaheim already has 14 forwards in line for the 2021-2022 season, and every single one of them is worth more to us than Engvall could ever possibly be, so even assuming that our GM lost his mind and acquired Engvall, it would be to replace someone else, which doesn't shift money onto the NHL roster at all. And do you think that if we traded Kodie Curran, we wouldn't replace him on the San Diego roster with another defenseman? So that doesn't shift money OFF the AHL books, either.

Your entire theory is cuckoo, and even worse than your over-evaluation of Pierre Engvall as someone we would trade Kodie Curran for even-up, let alone add anything more than an equipment bag.

The concept of good money versus bad money is simple. Curran is a 31 year old AHL D one a one way contract so he makes a million dollars next season where ever he plays. Engvall is an NHL caliber forward who makes 1.25 million next season. Anaheim is not a wealthy team, so spending a million dollars on an AHL player is not good for them. Yes they are not saving actually dollars but the value output of the money spent is greater with Engvall. The fact that you fail to understand that concept is sad. Its like when Columbus traded Horton for Clarkson, Clarkson was not worth his contract but he would give them NHL minutes for the money while Horton gave them nothing. It is the same concept. You can replace Curran in the AHL for someone making under 100k. The difference in value between the 2 is big, I understand Mahura would be too much, that is why in the comment section below I said i would do Max Golod. So that is a million dollar AHL D man and a undrafted Free agent signing that played in the ECHL for a NHL player. The fact you wouldnt take that means youre an idiot. Engvall scored at 0.3 PPG last season playing 4th line minutes and is 25 and Plays center. He isnt the best player ever but that would place him as the 9th highest scorer among regular forwards for the ducks last season, and if the ducks had 14 forwards better than Engvall they wouldnt have finished in second last place.
Aug. 28, 2021 at 2:25 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
The concept of good money versus bad money is simple. Curran is a 31 year old AHL D one a one way contract so he makes a million dollars next season where ever he plays. Engvall is an NHL caliber forward who makes 1.25 million next season. Anaheim is not a wealthy team, so spending a million dollars on an AHL player is not good for them. Yes they are not saving actually dollars but the value output of the money spent is greater with Engvall. The fact that you fail to understand that concept is sad. Its like when Columbus traded Horton for Clarkson, Clarkson was not worth his contract but he would give them NHL minutes for the money while Horton gave them nothing. It is the same concept. You can replace Curran in the AHL for someone making under 100k. The difference in value between the 2 is big, I understand Mahura would be too much, that is why in the comment section below I said i would do Max Golod. So that is a million dollar AHL D man and a undrafted Free agent signing that played in the ECHL for a NHL player. The fact you wouldnt take that means youre an idiot. Engvall scored at 0.3 PPG last season playing 4th line minutes and is 25 and Plays center. He isnt the best player ever but that would place him as the 9th highest scorer among regular forwards for the ducks last season, and if the ducks had 14 forwards better than Engvall they wouldnt have finished in second last place.

ITS
NOT
A
ONE
FOR
ONE
EXCHANGE!!!!!

There are two other players involved in this move -- the player Engvall is replacing, and the player replacing Curran. Engvall isn't filling a void, and losing Curran is creating one. As a result, the money value you are imagining is insignificant. And to think that said miniscule money value (if any) is worth anything more than the aforementioned equipment bag, let alone an actual warm body, is insane.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll