$6,850,000$6,850,000
    C
    UFA - 8
    Logo of the Ottawa Senators
    $4,975,000$4,975,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 5
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    C
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the New Jersey Devils
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 3
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
    C
    RFA - 1
    $818,333$818,333 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
    LW
    RFA - 1
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    LW
    RFA
    $800,000$800,000
    LW
    RFA - 2
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 6
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $4,687,500$4,687,500
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    Nemec, Simon
    $925,000$925,000
    $787,500$787,500
    G
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $900,000$900,000
    RW, C
    UFA
    $800,000$800,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Sep. 15, 2021 at 3:08 p.m.
    Lenny7
    Might as well keep Connor Brown, if only to remind Leafs fans that he used to play there...
    Sep. 15, 2021 at 3:10 p.m.
    Nah.
    CBJ ain’t gonna sell low on Laine like that…
    Friendly_Cannon liked this.
    Sep. 15, 2021 at 3:10 p.m.
    GO FLAMES GO
    Flames would GLADLY take Brown to unite him wuth Mangiapane
    Sep. 15, 2021 at 3:20 p.m.
    Thanks!
    Sep. 15, 2021 at 3:20 p.m.
    NotJimBenning
    Quoting: dopplsan
    CBJ ain’t gonna sell low on Laine like that…

I was about to say thats an overpay for Laine.. Oh well. Yes, sure, he's a good player. But he does not command that much value anymore given how his production deteriorated in Columbus last season (compared to what is expected). Without the 2 2nd's I think thats fair value for what he is worth today. Now, if people want to ask for what he might be worth tomorrow, thats a different story - but I doubt Ottawa would overpay for him given how previous big name player acquisitions fared.
    Sep. 15, 2021 at 3:25 p.m.
    I would love to have Brown if we didn’t have Kassian, or Archibald. Brown in the top 9 would be sick on Edmonton! That would help our second PP as well.
    Sep. 15, 2021 at 3:31 p.m.
    Nah.
    Quoting: MikeyG420
    I was about to say thats an overpay for Laine.. Oh well. Yes, sure, he's a good player. But he does not command that much value anymore given how his production deteriorated in Columbus last season (compared to what is expected). Without the 2 2nd's I think thats fair value for what he is worth today. Now, if people want to ask for what he might be worth tomorrow, thats a different story - but I doubt Ottawa would overpay for him given how previous big name player acquisitions fared.

He’s 23, has scored 150 career goals, and is coming off of one below average season. We’re arguably not even at his prime. That’s where he is today.

But sure, Colin White as fair trade value for him is…a choice.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1349754571246211076
    Sep. 15, 2021 at 3:35 p.m.
    Connor Brown should get more.
    Eat half his salary and Sens would get near Coleman-esque return.
    csick liked this.
    Sep. 15, 2021 at 3:41 p.m.
    NotJimBenning
    He’s 23, has scored 150 career goals, and is coming off of one below average season. We’re arguably not even at his prime. That’s where he is today.

But sure, Colin White as fair trade value for him is…a choice.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1349754571246211076

I was implying that Colin white and Brannstrom were fair value for him.
    Sep. 15, 2021 at 3:47 p.m.
    Nah.
    I was implying that Colin white and Brannstrom were fair value for him.

My man, Brannstrom is the starting point just for taking on that White contract right now. That's before we get to any talk on Laine.
    Sep. 15, 2021 at 3:53 p.m.
    NotJimBenning
    My man, Brannstrom is the starting point just for taking on that White contract right now. That's before we get to any talk on Laine.

Laine had 6 points more than white last season so I think his contract wont be much of an issue if the premise is that he would play better elsewhere/improve next year (much like your assumption with laine). Brannstrom can develop into an elite defensive piece, so he's worth slightly more than a first rounder.
    Sep. 15, 2021 at 4:07 p.m.
    Nah.
    Laine had 6 points more than white last season so I think his contract wont be much of an issue if the premise is that he would play better elsewhere/improve next year (much like your assumption with laine). Brannstrom can develop into an elite defensive piece, so he's worth slightly more than a first rounder.

If you really want to boil it down to "look only at least year," then you are missing an obscene amount of the picture. White doesn't have any track record to speak of, only one good/decent season. Even by that logic, Laine at his worst is still six point better than White, all while being a year younger. Added, Laine is not signed for four more years at a rate far beyond his value. Points to OTT for gambling on White with that long-term extension out of the ELC, but it doesn't look like it has panned out.

As for Brannstrom, cracking an NHL lineup for a 2-15-17 line through 63 games playing with a rebuilding club does not a 1st+ make.
    Sep. 15, 2021 at 8:10 p.m.
    Replace Holtz with Clarke (Our best forward prospect other than Holtz and Mercer) and NJD accepts. Otherwise, adding Holtz to the rest of what you have there is too steep a price to pay.
    Sep. 16, 2021 at 1:06 p.m.
    Quoting: Nhl_oilers
    I would love to have Brown if we didn’t have Kassian, or Archibald. Brown in the top 9 would be sick on Edmonton! That would help our second PP as well.

Brown would be a very smart pick up for a lot of teams. There's a lot of context around him right now but if the guy can stop being injury prone and focus on playing hockey, he really has a lot of talent, which is something the Sens know and are a bit worried about. So they most likely don't want to trade him for "just a 3rd round pick" because it could easily blow up in their face. That's why they would need to find a similar reclamation project with upside. Not an easy situation if it's true that the bridges between Brown's camp and the organization have been burned. They might be forced to give up and let him go for "free" so he knows he could sign with any team he wants. To be continued...

Do the Oilers have some (interesting) reclamation projects?

Ottawa would never pay an asset to "get rid" of Colin White's contract. Well, they could but it would be pretty damn stupid as they don't even need cap space and also because :

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/colin-white

BUYOUT COST : $875,000 x 6 seasons
    CAP HIT : $875,000 x 6 seasons

Worst case scenario, Ottawa could buy him out for dirt cheap but highly doubtful it will come to that, as explained below (which is a copy/paste)

Please no more Colin White trades.

He won't be traded, unless someone gives up appealing asset(s) for him but I don't see why would any team do that considering his AAV

There's abolutely no reason/point to trade Colin White. You won't get positive value for him, he's Chabot's best friend, he's overpaid by about 1.25 per season (based on polls) which is not crippling at all and he could still continue to improve as he's just 24 y/o.

He has produced 36 pts per 82 games in the NHL with mostly 3rd line minutes. The only season he had a better opportunity (better linemates, more TOI), he produced at a 47 pts pace. He has 4 years left at 4.75, which is too much for him but if it was 3.5 no one would complain. In the meantime, he provides forward depth and good 2-way play (check defensive/advanced stats).
    Nhl_oilers liked this.
    Sep. 16, 2021 at 1:20 p.m.
    Nah.
    Edited Sep. 16, 2021 at 1:32 p.m.
    Quoting: Xspyrit

Ottawa would never pay an asset to "get rid" of Colin White's contract. Well, they could but it would be pretty damn stupid as they don't even need cap space and also because :

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/colin-white

BUYOUT COST : $875,000 x 6 seasons
    CAP HIT : $875,000 x 6 seasons

Worst case scenario, Ottawa could buy him out for dirt cheap but highly doubtful it will come to that, as explained below (which is a copy/paste)

Please no more Colin White trades.

He won't be traded, unless someone gives up appealing asset(s) for him but I don't see why would any team do that considering his AAV

If they wanted to/had to trade, they would have to add an asset. And yes, buying him out would be easy for one more year, since he is under 26. After next season's buyout window, it goes up.

But also, to your point, they don't want to or have to. My issue was just with the initial premise of Colin White in any way being near an equal trade asset as Laine.
    csick liked this.
    Sep. 16, 2021 at 1:56 p.m.
    Brown would be a very smart pick up for a lot of teams. There's a lot of context around him right now but if the guy can stop being injury prone and focus on playing hockey, he really has a lot of talent, which is something the Sens know and are a bit worried about. So they most likely don't want to trade him for "just a 3rd round pick" because it could easily blow up in their face. That's why they would need to find a similar reclamation project with upside. Not an easy situation if it's true that the bridges between Brown's camp and the organization have been burned. They might be forced to give up and let him go for "free" so he knows he could sign with any team he wants. To be continued...

Do the Oilers have some (interesting) reclamation projects

Eh, not really. I would think our best ones would be Tyler Benson, and Cooper Marody. Sadly, or I would trade you them if that’s what it would take to get Connor Brown. We got some decent normal prospects if you wanted them. But yah, I wouldn’t move him if I was Ottawa not unless a team gave me a big return.
    Sep. 16, 2021 at 2:06 p.m.
    Edited Oct. 2, 2021 at 9:02 a.m.
    If they wanted to/had to trade, they would have to add an asset. And yes, buying him out would be easy for one more year, since he is under 26. After next season's buyout window, it goes up.

But also, to your point, they don't want to or have to. My issue was just with the initial premise of Colin White in any way being near an equal trade asset as Laine.

Yes, remove White from this equation, unless Columbus specifically asks for him, but I'd surprised as there is a ton of guys in the Sens organization already better or who will be better. Why would they ask for the 3rd liner with inflated AAV? I agree that he's not adding value here. It's just money in money out as Laine will also cost money in the next few years.

If you really want to boil it down to "look only at least year," then you are missing an obscene amount of the picture. White doesn't have any track record to speak of, only one good/decent season. Even by that logic, Laine at his worst is still six point better than White, all while being a year younger. Added, Laine is not signed for four more years at a rate far beyond his value. Points to OTT for gambling on White with that long-term extension out of the ELC, but it doesn't look like it has panned out.

As for Brannstrom, cracking an NHL lineup for a 2-15-17 line through 63 games playing with a rebuilding club does not a 1st+ make.

Quickly, White's signing was very contextual. Melnyk had alienated the fanbase and they were going through a MASSIVE firesale. White was signed to a long term contract to show a sign to the fanbase that they were going to commit to hockey players once again. And since Colin White is Thomas Chabot's best friend, Chabot then signed a 8 years contract like a month later. They knew it was a "risky gamble" with White but one that had to be done. Chabot is the first cornerstone of the rebuild, he had to be signed at all costs.

Finally, don't look at it like if Brannstrom "can't crack the lineup". This would be another long context to explain but quickly, the Sens are taking their damn time to graduate their prospects (lottery picks Stutzle and Tkachuk being the exceptions but one is ultra skilled and the other a physical monster), and they have all the LUXURY to do so as a FULL rebuilding team (100% roster turnover from the 2017 ECF run)

For example, Formenton could have become a full NHLer way before this season. Even in 2018-19, his speed was already elite and he was strong enough to play a bottom-6 role, already aware defensively. But they wanted him to develop more and have 1 full season in the AHL. Like Norris last year, he didn't really to play there.... ETC

There actually would be more to explain because Dorion doesn't seem to prioritize "asset management" very much so he's not putting all his assets in a position to take value. It's kinda weird to me because I and my family basically live off managing assets. You'd think asset management would be extremely important for a manager at this level. To be honest, sometimes I have no idea what Dorion is doing (like waiving Balcers to protect much worse players like Anisimov/Paquette/Galchenyuk/Stepan or giving up a 2nd for a declined Derek Stepan)

Quoting: Nhl_oilers
    Eh, not really. I would think our best ones would be Tyler Benson, and Cooper Marody. Sadly, or I would trade you them if that’s what it would take to get Connor Brown. We got some decent normal prospects if you wanted them. But yah, I wouldn’t move him if I was Ottawa not unless a team gave me a big return.

I'm pretty convinced that Connor Brown will be extended after his current contract.

But lol forget all this. I just realized you were talking about Connor. I responded you talking about Logan Brown

Connor Brown isn't a reclamation project and Tyler Benson/Cooper Marody won't be pieces considered to acquire him unless they suddenly "break out"
    dopplsan and Nhl_oilers liked this.
    Sep. 16, 2021 at 8:22 p.m.
    Yes, remove White from this equation, unless Columbus specifically asks for him, but I'd surprised as there is a ton of guys in the Sens organization already better or who will be better. Why would they ask for the 3rd liner with inflated AAV? I agree that he's not adding value here. It's just money in money out as Laine will also cost money in the next few years.

Quickly, White's signing was very contextual. Melnyk had alienated the fanbase and they were going through a MASSIVE firesale. White was signed to a long term contract to show a sign to the fanbase that they were going to commit to hockey players once again. And since Colin White is Thomas Chabot's best friend, Chabot then signed a 8 years contract like a month later. They knew it was a "risky gamble" with White but one that had to be done. Chabot is the first cornerstone of the rebuild, he had to be signed at all costs.

Finally, don't look at it like if Brannstrom "can't crack the lineup". This would be another long context to explain but quickly, the Sens are taking their damn time to graduate their prospects (lottery picks Stutzle and Tkachuk being the exceptions but one is ultra skilled and the other a physical monster), and they have all the LUXURY to do so as a FULL rebuilding team (100% roster turnover from the 2017 ECF run)

For example, Formenton could have become a full NHLer way before this season. Even in 2018-19, his speed was already elite and he was strong enough to play a bottom-6 role, already aware defensively. But they wanted him to develop more and have 1 full season in the AHL. Like Norris last year, he didn't really to play there.... ETC

There actually would be more to explain because Dorion doesn't seem to prioritize "asset management" very much so he's not putting all his assets in a position to take value. It's kinda weird to me because I and my family basically live off managing assets. You'd think asset management would be extremely important for a manager at this level. To be honest, sometimes I have no idea what Dorion is doing (like waiving Balcers to protect much worse players like Anisimov/Paquette/Galchenyuk/Stepan or giving up a 2nd for a declined Derek Stepan)

I'm pretty convinced that Connor Brown will be expanded after his current contract.

But lol forget all this. I just realized you were talking about Connor. I responded you talking about Logan Brown

Connor Brown isn't a reclamation project and Tyler Benson/Cooper Marody won't be pieces considered to acquire him unless they suddenly "break out"

Oh haha, I was a little confused honestly. Yah, they won’t get him, but those are the only two I can think of. Connor Brown is a very good player, and Ottawa is lucky to have him. I thought you were insane and you wanted them for Connor. I was gonna say deal! Haha.
    csick and Xspyrit liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll