Forums/Armchair-GM

Maurice needs to go

Created by: Z0ra
Team: 2021-22 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 30, 2021
Published: Nov. 30, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Jets clearly need a coaching chance. Paul Maurice hasn't delivered. If he wants to stay, he has to move Wheeler down to a bottom-six role and adjust our power-play lines. Wheeler is starting to show his age, he hasn't really performed like the player he was in 2018-19 where he put up 82+ points. Also in our last 12 games we are 2 for 34 on the powerplay.

I would bring back Perfetti and give him some top-six minutes. Currently he has put up 7 points in his past 5 games which is outstanding for an 20 year old. Gus wouldn't also be a bad option as well but I personally prefer Perfetti because he is more productive. Also bring up Heinola and send Stanley down. Heinola has been dominant at the AHL level so far this year (2G, 12A) in 16 games. Stanley hasn't been great offensively, he also doesn't contribute on the breakout.

If Heinola doesn't make the NHL next year, he might as well be trade bait. Also next year Dimitri Rashevsky should get an opportunity in the NHL. Dominating in the KHL right now, right now he has 28 points (16G, 12A) in 33 games which is outstanding in a men's league as a 21-year-old. He is a great goal-scorer who could start off in Winnipeg's bottom-six with Gus next year.

Coaches I want Winnipeg to hire:

John Torterella
Rick Toccett
Mike Babcock

Coaches I don't want Winnipeg to hire:

Ralph Krueger
Travis Green (if he eventually gets fired)
Jeremy Colliton

Post your opinions in the comments. Agree or disagree?
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$82,071,313$145,122$1,350,000-$571,313
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW, C
RFA - 3
$3,640,000$3,640,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
UFA - 7
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
UFA - 3
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RD
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD
RFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 30, 2021 at 11:14 a.m.
tiktok- sharksmafia
Also need to fix the pk; I’d bring Gustafsson up for that.
Z0ra liked this.
Nov. 30, 2021 at 11:15 a.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Not sure why, but I get the vibe that Scheiffle and Wheeler wouldn't mesh with Torts.
Z0ra liked this.
Nov. 30, 2021 at 11:16 a.m.
wpg
Don’t bring the kids up.. they shouldn’t be part of this mess

And I’m sure Dubois would love for Torts to be his coach again
Nov. 30, 2021 at 11:18 a.m.
I like the idea of Rick Tocchet. I think that would be a nice fit. Some more structure and a voice change for the team would be helpful.
tsyls and Z0ra liked this.
Nov. 30, 2021 at 11:28 a.m.
Rashevsky signed an extension with his KHL team which runs until end-April 2023. We'll just have to enjoy highlights until the 23-24 season.
Nov. 30, 2021 at 11:37 a.m.
Cold spaghetti
I agree with a lot of this. Get someone in here who will let young players get a look first off. Torts definitely would not work with PLD here. The two "Experienced" head coaches that I would love to see are Claude Julien or Bruce Boudreau. I would also love to see the jets grab an assistant coach or from elsewhere where a coach has had a lot of success. Lane Lambert would be cool. Pascal Vincent would have been near the top of the list for me if he was still in the org. The new Moose coach Mark Morrison looks like a great coach as well.
Nov. 30, 2021 at 12:48 p.m.
Quoting: bunzy1034
I agree with a lot of this. Get someone in here who will let young players get a look first off. Torts definitely would not work with PLD here. The two "Experienced" head coaches that I would love to see are Claude Julien or Bruce Boudreau. I would also love to see the jets grab an assistant coach or from elsewhere where a coach has had a lot of success. Lane Lambert would be cool. Pascal Vincent would have been near the top of the list for me if he was still in the org. The new Moose coach Mark Morrison looks like a great coach as well.

I agree with a lot of it. But keep Perfetti and Heinola down for one more full year, it’ll pay dividends come next year.

Maybe try calling gus up. If we have to waive Nash and potentially lose him so be it. We need to improve the PK desperately.

I like Tocchet as a coaching option for the jets. The structure is needed and accountability has to be there. I’m just not sure Tocchet wants to leave TNT to come to Winnipeg LOL.

My guess is they’d have to find an assistant coach from another organization or something along those lines which wouldn’t be easy mid-season. I wouldn’t mind Julien or Boudreau, but I’d like to see what a new face could do.

I really do like Maurice as a person, but every coach has a shelf life and his has expired. One of the longest tenured coaches in the league with little success besides 1 solid playoff run. It’s time for a change, the players need a new voice and new systems. Someone that could come in without favourites.

I don’t know much about the new moose coach, but man Pascal Vincent would’ve been a great replacement for Maurice. Wish we could pry him away from CBJ.
bunzy1034 and Z0ra liked this.
Nov. 30, 2021 at 1:04 p.m.
Cold spaghetti
Quoting: tsyls
I agree with a lot of it. But keep Perfetti and Heinola down for one more full year, it’ll pay dividends come next year.

Maybe try calling gus up. If we have to waive Nash and potentially lose him so be it. We need to improve the PK desperately.

I like Tocchet as a coaching option for the jets. The structure is needed and accountability has to be there. I’m just not sure Tocchet wants to leave TNT to come to Winnipeg LOL.

My guess is they’d have to find an assistant coach from another organization or something along those lines which wouldn’t be easy mid-season. I wouldn’t mind Julien or Boudreau, but I’d like to see what a new face could do.

I really do like Maurice as a person, but every coach has a shelf life and his has expired. One of the longest tenured coaches in the league with little success besides 1 solid playoff run. It’s time for a change, the players need a new voice and new systems. Someone that could come in without favourites.

I don’t know much about the new moose coach, but man Pascal Vincent would’ve been a great replacement for Maurice. Wish we could pry him away from CBJ.

Ideally I would love to see all three of those young guys to give them a shot. In my opinion they are already showing they don't have too much to learn in the AHL anymore. They are dominant down there. Perfetti makes sense because of the WJC coming up, but I would really love to see what Gus and Heinola could do. There are times where I think we could be a lot more dangerous on the backend instead of just resulting to firing low danger shots from the point, and that's where Heinola comes in. Gus has just made to much sense to call up for a long time now.
tsyls liked this.
Dec. 3, 2021 at 11:43 a.m.
power forward
Quoting: King_Loui
Also need to fix the pk; I’d bring Gustafsson up for that.

Oh yea I do agree with that. Also I do see Gus as an effective penalty killer. Great two-way game.
SharksMafia liked this.
Dec. 3, 2021 at 11:44 a.m.
power forward
Quoting: HockeyFan989
Don’t bring the kids up.. they shouldn’t be part of this mess

And I’m sure Dubois would love for Torts to be his coach again

Maybe not Perfetti and Heinola, but consider Gus.

Also I completely forgot about the Torts and Dubois relationship.
Dec. 3, 2021 at 11:46 a.m.
power forward
Quoting: hwjw
I like the idea of Rick Tocchet. I think that would be a nice fit. Some more structure and a voice change for the team would be helpful.

Yea I agree. I think Arizona would have made the playoffs in 2018-19 if they didnt get the injuries. Apart from the exceptional play of Kuemper, Tocchet was the biggest reason why Arizona was even competitive.
hwjw liked this.
Dec. 3, 2021 at 11:48 a.m.
power forward
Quoting: Mr_Canoehead
Rashevsky signed an extension with his KHL team which runs until end-April 2023. We'll just have to enjoy highlights until the 23-24 season.

In that case, he should be a lock to make the Jets lineup once that contract ends. By that time he will be on pace to score 45+ goals. Potentially be the next Kaprizov.
Mr_Canoehead liked this.
Dec. 3, 2021 at 11:50 a.m.
power forward
Quoting: bunzy1034

I completely forgot about Julien and Boudreau. They are definitely great options. I didn't include assistant coaches because I don't know much about them.

Also, could you perhaps tell me more about Lane Lambert? I have never heard of the guy before.
Dec. 3, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.
power forward
Quoting: tsyls

After looking at Perfetti and Heinola highlights from their time at the Jets, I couldn't agree with you more. Perfetti was decent, but the skating needs work. Sometimes he's too slow on the ice. His bright spot is the powerplay however. Heinola on the other hand, was productive during the 2019-20 season. That's another reason why I wanted him up over Stanley. But there were some bad moments where Heinola would sometimes be the cause of goals scored against us.

Nash definitely wasn't a good signing now that you think of it. If Gus comes up, our PK won't be bottom-five in the NHL anymore.

Tocchet is a decent option as coach, but yea based on what he's doing now, it will be tough for Chevy to bring him to Winnipeg. Julien and Boudreau will be much easier to bring to Winnipeg, thinking about it now.

I did watch some Moose games, and even though I don't know much about assistant coaches, I did like Pascal Vincent. He definitely helped guys like Perfetti and Heinola elevate their game to the next level.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll