Continue the Rebuild by Selling Tanev High

Created by: qwertymann
Team: 2017-18 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 28, 2017
Published: Mar. 28, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
1. Tanev gets dealt before Expansion Draft
2. Vancouver Protects: 1) Sedin 2) Sedin 3) Eriksson 4) Horvat 5) Sutter 6) Baertschi 7) Granlund 8) Edler 9) Gudbranson 10) Sbisa 11) Markstrom. Therefore, Brendan Gaunce is selected by the VGK.
3. Draft Gabriel Vilardi with Vancouver's own 2017 1st Round Pick and Callan Foote with Philadelphia's 2017 1st Round Pick.
4. Foote goes back to the Rockets, Vilardi back to the Spitfires, Jonathan Dahlen plays another year in Sweden (most likely in the Elite league).
5. Olli Juolevi competes for a spot on the NHL roster.
6. 4 of Brock Boeser, Nikolay Goldobin, Jake Virtanen, Reid Boucher, and Kasperi Kapanen make the NHL roster.
7. Jack Skille and Cramarossa are resigned to play with Dorsett on the 4th line (Energy Line).
8. MIller Doesn't resign and Vancouver signs one of the many UFA Goalies available.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,750
1$715,000
3$4,000,000
7$5,500,000
2$2,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Foote, Callan
3$925,000
1$750,000
1$2,250,000
Vilardi, Gabriel
3$925,000
Trades
VAN
  1. Kapanen, Kasperi
Additional Details:
Toronto's Own 2017 1st Round Pick (16-20 OVR)

Trade is made before the Expansion draft because Toronto will have the ability to protect Tanev.
VAN
    1. Philadelphia's Own 2017 1st Round Pick (10-12 OVR)

Trade is made at the Entry Draft and Vancouver uses the pick to take Callan Foote from the Kelowna Rockets.
    PHI
      1. Toronto's 2017 1st Round Pick (16-20 OVR)
      2. Columbus' 2017 2nd Round Pick (52-57 OVR)
      VAN
      VGK
        1. Brendan Gaunce
        Buyouts
        Retained Salary Transactions
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the VAN
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        25$75,500,000$69,555,749$0$1,912,500$5,944,251

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
        $1,850,000$1,850,000
        LW
        UFA - 1
        $5,500,000$5,500,000
        C
        UFA - 6
        $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
        RW
        UFA - 2
        $7,000,000$7,000,000
        LW
        NMC
        UFA - 1
        $7,000,000$7,000,000
        C
        NMC
        UFA - 1
        $900,000$900,000
        RW, LW, C
        UFA - 1
        $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
        LW
        UFA - 2
        $4,375,000$4,375,000
        RW, C
        NTC
        UFA - 4
        $6,000,000$6,000,000
        LW, RW
        NMC
        UFA - 5
        $2,650,000$2,650,000
        RW
        UFA - 2
        $715,000$715,000
        C
        UFA
        $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
        RW, LW
        UFA - 1
        $750,750$750,750
        LW
        UFA - 1
        $750,000$750,000
        RW
        UFA
        $863,333$863,333
        RW
        UFA - 2
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $5,000,000$5,000,000
        LD
        NTC
        UFA - 2
        $925,000$925,000
        RD
        UFA - 1
        $3,666,667$3,666,667
        G
        UFA - 3
        $2,800,000$2,800,000
        LD
        UFA - 2
        $4,000,000$4,000,000
        RD
        UFA - 1
        $3,600,000$3,600,000
        LD
        UFA - 1
        $2,500,000$2,500,000
        LD
        RFA
        $2,250,000$2,250,000
        G
        UFA - 3
        $894,166$894,166
        LD
        UFA - 4
        $750,000$750,000
        RD
        UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Mar. 28, 2017 at 2:21 p.m.
        I think if you sell Tanev high, you'd get less for him. GM's don't like players under the influence.

*I'll show myself out now.
        NateElder12 and LeafsFan liked this.
        Mar. 28, 2017 at 2:25 p.m.
        VegasGMV2.LeafsGMV1
        Quoting: F50marco
        I think if you sell Tanev high, you'd get less for him. GM's don't like players under the influence.

*I'll show myself out now.

?
        NateElder12 liked this.
        Mar. 28, 2017 at 2:30 p.m.
        NateElder12
        As a Flyers fan you have a deal. You have to get TOR to take that trade first though lol.
        Mar. 28, 2017 at 2:38 p.m.
        Hmm Interesting Leafs Deal.... I might be open to it, but to be honest not exactly thrilled, maybe you send back another pick? Or maybe you can take some other prospects? (Korshkov, Johnsson, Timashov)
        Mar. 28, 2017 at 2:41 p.m.
        NateElder12
        Quoting: LeafsFan
        Hmm Interesting Leafs Deal.... I might be open to it, but to be honest not exactly thrilled, maybe you send back another pick? Or maybe you can take some other prospects? (Korshkov, Johnsson, Timashov)

haha if you want him to take someone different then chances are it's a fair deal.
        Mar. 28, 2017 at 2:47 p.m.

Quoting: NateElder12

haha if you want him to take someone different then chances are it's a fair deal.

IMO it is a fair deal. Tanev is 27 and is a top pairing guy, he is just entering his prime and really could be one of the better shut down dmen in the league (am I biased?, or does the rest of the league view him this way as well?). I suppose the canucks could add in a Subban or a 2018 4th or 5th rounder though to make the deal go through.
        Mar. 28, 2017 at 3:14 p.m.
        Be formless
        I like it, but if Vancouver want's to rebuild they need to acquire some good young defensemen too. Maybe by drafting Liljegren instead of Vilardi.
        Mar. 28, 2017 at 4:15 p.m.
        Quoting: Hockey_Mind
        I like it, but if Vancouver want's to rebuild they need to acquire some good young defensemen too. Maybe by drafting Liljegren instead of Vilardi.

Defense is where the Canucks have depth and as noted in the post, they would be drafting Cal Foote. This is in addition to Gudbranson, Hutton, Stecher, Tryamkin, Juolevi and Subban all being under 25 years old. Vancouver is fine in the defensive end.
        Mar. 28, 2017 at 4:34 p.m.
        Is Tanev really worth two 1st round picks though? I mean look at what Dougie Hamilton got a 1st and two 2nds. Even at that time I would of taken Hamilton over Tanev any day of the week. Cory Schneider got a one 1st overall pick, albeit a 9th overall. Kessel at the time got two 1st's and a 2nd rounder.

I say this without intending disrespect but Tanev is really overrated if you think he's in the same category as players mentioned above. He brings virtually no offense, gets injured often, isn't physical, etc etc. Is he bad player? Absolutely not. Is he a top 4? Sure on some teams yeah.

With that said, I think essentially two 1st round picks for him is quite a pretty penny that any smart team would stay away from.
        clark liked this.
        Mar. 28, 2017 at 5:29 p.m.
        LongtimeLeafsufferer
        Can't Tanev by traded to any other teams besides the Leafs? Please!!!. The Leafs are still in a rebuild. Leafs top prospect and very likely a top 15 pick is way to too much for Tanev (from a Leafs view).
        If some team....the Rangers, Tampa, anyone thinks Tanev is going to help them get to the Conference final OK. But not the Leafs.
        But where would Tanev fit in on the Leafs. Behind Zaitsev, but probably ahead of Carrick. And Kapanen is needed by the Leafs on RW, with the intention of moving Nylander to centre.
        clark liked this.
        Mar. 28, 2017 at 6:25 p.m.
        Quoting: palhal
        Can't Tanev by traded to any other teams besides the Leafs? Please!!!. The Leafs are still in a rebuild. Leafs top prospect and very likely a top 15 pick is way to too much for Tanev (from a Leafs view).
        If some team....the Rangers, Tampa, anyone thinks Tanev is going to help them get to the Conference final OK. But not the Leafs.
        But where would Tanev fit in on the Leafs. Behind Zaitsev, but probably ahead of Carrick. And Kapanen is needed by the Leafs on RW, with the intention of moving Nylander to centre.

The reason Tanev gets traded to Toronto is because it makes sense... A team that is headed to the playoffs is a team that could use a Chris Tanev, unless you're planning for Toronto to miss the playoffs the next 3-5 years in a row then they are not a rebuilding team anymore and it makes sense. Tanev is a top pairing guy so thats where he would fit in on the Toronto D-corps. Nylander doesn't need to be moved back to Centre and Kapanen is already behind him in the depth chart. Also the only way Toronto's pick is within the top 15 is if they miss the playoffs or get swept in the first round. They are in a good position to make the playoffs and therefore I have them picking anywhere from 16-20.
        Mar. 28, 2017 at 6:34 p.m.
        LongtimeLeafsufferer
        Qwertymann: Your logic...wow. Tanev hasn't lead the Canucks to the promised land. To think he can do for Toronto, I doubt it. You mention the Leafs will miss the playoffs for the next 3 to 5 years without Tanev, but in a following statement you have them making the playoffs this year (without Tanev). Please get your story straight.
        I'm sorry you don't understand the importance of Kapanen and the first rounder for the three years of Tanev. The Leafs have cap room to help their defence at least short within giving up two prime assets, so really the trade is not necessary by the Leafs.
        clark liked this.
        Mar. 28, 2017 at 6:39 p.m.
        Palhal: your reading comprehension...wow. Take some time to read my post again and try to understand it. I am saying that Toronto is making the playoffs and I don't see why they would start regressing and going backwards in the years to come. Therefore, a player like Tanev would help them going forward rather than another prospect... but maybe I am using too many big words for you to understand what I am saying.
        palhal liked this.
        Mar. 28, 2017 at 9:54 p.m.
        LongtimeLeafsufferer
        Quoting: qwertymann
        Palhal: your reading comprehension...wow. Take some time to read my post again and try to understand it. I am saying that Toronto is making the playoffs and I don't see why they would start regressing and going backwards in the years to come. Therefore, a player like Tanev would help them going forward rather than another prospect... but maybe I am using too many big words for you to understand what I am saying.

"A team that is headed to the playoffs is a team that could use a Chris Tanev, unless you're planning for Toronto to miss the playoffs the next 3-5 years in a row then they are not a rebuilding team anymore and it makes sense."

Having Tanev isn't going to make much difference to the Leafs in the standing. Long term Kapanen will. Leafs acquiring a good player using their available cap space is much better for the Leafs. Sorry you don't understand the Leaf situation. No, your words aren't too big for me, but your deliberate contraction to trying to prove an invalid point, yea, I understand you quite well.
        clark liked this.
        Mar. 28, 2017 at 11:51 p.m.

"A team that is headed to the playoffs is a team that could use a Chris Tanev, unless you're planning for Toronto to miss the playoffs the next 3-5 years in a row then they are not a rebuilding team anymore and it makes sense."

Having Tanev isn't going to make much difference to the Leafs in the standing. Long term Kapanen will. Leafs acquiring a good player using their available cap space is much better for the Leafs. Sorry you don't understand the Leaf situation. No, your words aren't too big for me, but your deliberate contraction to trying to prove an invalid point, yea, I understand you quite well.

You have still failed to understand what my original response meant but I get that english can be difficult for people sometimes.

And sorry I guess I have misunderstood the leafs situation. I was under the impression that they had a cupboard full of young forwards putting up fantastic numbers and that their defence could use a hand. I guess I forgot that the leafs are all good on the defensive end and aren't in need of a young right handed dean. Glad you cleared that up for me.
        CD282 liked this.
        Mar. 29, 2017 at 12:56 a.m.
        Follow CapFriendly

You have still failed to understand what my original response meant but I get that english can be difficult for people sometimes.

And sorry I guess I have misunderstood the leafs situation. I was under the impression that they had a cupboard full of young forwards putting up fantastic numbers and that their defence could use a hand. I guess I forgot that the leafs are all good on the defensive end and aren't in need of a young right handed dean. Glad you cleared that up for me.

You're definitely overrating Tanev. Leafs could get a much better defenceman for their 1st and their top prospect
        clark liked this.
        Mar. 29, 2017 at 1:03 a.m.
        Follow CapFriendly

The reason Tanev gets traded to Toronto is because it makes sense... A team that is headed to the playoffs is a team that could use a Chris Tanev, unless you're planning for Toronto to miss the playoffs the next 3-5 years in a row then they are not a rebuilding team anymore and it makes sense. Tanev is a top pairing guy so thats where he would fit in on the Toronto D-corps. Nylander doesn't need to be moved back to Centre and Kapanen is already behind him in the depth chart. Also the only way Toronto's pick is within the top 15 is if they miss the playoffs or get swept in the first round. They are in a good position to make the playoffs and therefore I have them picking anywhere from 16-20.

I'm also with Palhal here. Qwertmanns comment makes 0 sense. No reason to trade top prospects for mediocre defense. JVRs contract is up soon and it could potentially solve Leafs D in a trade.
        clark liked this.
        Mar. 29, 2017 at 2:17 a.m.
        Palhal and Jarvis: I don't understand how you guys are not understanding what qwertymann is saying. Plain and simple, he is stating that the leafs need help on the right side of D, Tanev is a quality right-handed defenseman and that Toronto will have more of a need for him than Vancouver as Toronto has done the rebuilding and Vancouver is doing it...
        CD282 liked this.
        Mar. 29, 2017 at 8:53 a.m.
        Follow CapFriendly
        Quoting: ThisIsAOneTimeThing
        Palhal and Jarvis: I don't understand how you guys are not understanding what qwertymann is saying. Plain and simple, he is stating that the leafs need help on the right side of D, Tanev is a quality right-handed defenseman and that Toronto will have more of a need for him than Vancouver as Toronto has done the rebuilding and Vancouver is doing it...

I think we entirely understood that.
        Our response to it is- there's no reason to trade a top prospect for a mediocre D. Leafs already have those.
        There are much better ways for the Leafs to fix their defense than trading away Kapanen.
        Also don't think you guys realise how good Kapanen has been since returning from his high ankle sprain.
        clark liked this.
        Mar. 29, 2017 at 9:01 a.m.
        LongtimeLeafsufferer
        Quoting: ThisIsAOneTimeThing

Toronto is done rebuilding? Well not quite. On this site, people are very willingly to make trades, but often at the cost of "team building". Sure Tanev for Kapanen and a first might help the Leafs short term. But the Leafs are in a different situation than many other teams. Upcoming cap space and a willingness to spend it. Leafs will be able to acquire Dmen with teams with cap problems at a cheaper price. Come with summer as teams can only protect 3 or 4 Dmen at the expansion draft, the Leafs I believe will be able to protect 5. So there are deals out there to upgrade the defence without giving up their # 1 prospect and a mid teen pick for a guy who going to a UFA in three years. UFA in three years? Just when the Leafs might contending, Tanev could walk and the Leafs wouldn't have Kapanen or this top 15 pick ready to step into the lineup.
        The Leafs would love to have Kapanen as their #2 RWer behind Marner next season (I generally hate the number of players) but you get the idea. Brown # 3 RWer. Matthews, Nylander and Kadri and centre and Bozak with the team for one last year.
        So from a distance, it appears that the Leafs need Tanev urgently (especially to Canucks fan who cherish Leafs prospects), but it ain't really true.
        Leafs will have Reilly, Gardiner, Zaitsev and Carrick (Carrick and Zaitsev) are first year NHLers next year. Leafs can fill the other three spots easily with a combo of Marincin, Marchencko, maybe Hunwick or Polak. Maybe Marlie Dermot. Or pre expansion trades I suggested, which I think is most likely. Certainly the Leafs have options, especially with available cap space. Tanev for top two Leaf assets is way way way down the list of possibilities.

ThisIsAOneTimeThing: Back to qwertymann is saying (your first line). Yes, I understand. But in this case, it's really trying to force a square peg in a round hole. Think team building, assets, cap space, time line and the Leafs have much better options.
        Jarvis and clark liked this.
        Mar. 29, 2017 at 10:02 a.m.
        I think most of the misunderstanding here is because Toronto fans don't get to see Tanev play very often, and thus are unfamiliar with his potential contribution to the team. If you portray him as a right-handed Alzner they'd be all over him.

I see him as the perfect fit for the Leafs, but there are other teams where he would be a great fit, too: what would be your ask from Edmonton? From Arizona? Buffalo?
        qwertymann liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll