Forums/Armchair-GM

I dont know how I feel

Created by: BestGMBenning
Team: 2021-22 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 31, 2022
Published: Jan. 31, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
So JR really said we need to free up cap space? WHO ARE WE FREEING UP CAP SPACE FOR?! WHY DO WE NEED CAP SPACE?! BOESER IS LITERALLY THE ONLY FREE AGENT THATLL GET A RAISE THAT WE NEED TO BRING BACK!!!! I understand wanting to trade some players but for Garland’s name to end up in trade talks?! That doesn’t sit right with me. I’m very unsure of how to feel about literally all of it.
Buyouts
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$76,960,659$648,780$2,550,000$4,539,341
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$7,350,000$7,350,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 3
$4,125,000$4,125,000
C
UFA - 2
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RW
UFA - 1
$891,667$891,667 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$2,650,000$2,650,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
$4,950,000$4,950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$1,225,000$1,225,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LD
UFA - 6
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 5
$7,260,000$7,260,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$1,500,000$2M)
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 31, 2022 at 6:04 p.m.
All that was said was that teams were calling about Garland, I don't think it's the same as the Miller situation. But this team's roster construction does suck and you should be trying to get some cap room.
sporkknife liked this.
Jan. 31, 2022 at 6:09 p.m.
20th place team with major roster issues, no prospects in the pipeline and no cap space. Whatever is he thinking???
palhal and Reason liked this.
Jan. 31, 2022 at 6:17 p.m.
Quoting: TheAlien
All that was said was that teams were calling about Garland, I don't think it's the same as the Miller situation. But this team's roster construction does suck and you should be trying to get some cap room.

Quoting: Boldirev
20th place team with major roster issues, no prospects in the pipeline and no cap space. Whatever is he thinking???

Clear cap space for what though? The players with the best value is all the team has. I understand moving a player or two but for literally it to be altogether Miller, Boeser, Garland, Myers, Pearson, and even Horvat? Naaaahhh bro. Just make some trades that could potentially help the team out and make other moves in the off-season. Because as of now just trading a bunch of players to get some prospects and cap space will only mean a full blown rebuild and some unhappy players and wasting Bruce Boudreau’s time and efforts of getting this team to win as he’s been doing.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Jan. 31, 2022 at 6:18 p.m.
Watty1
If someone blows the doors off for Garland, I think you have to look at it. Players like him are impossible to trade for and I don't think the Canucks are in any hurry to trade Garland. I don't want to move him but if they get a 1st & a grad A/B+ defense prospect like a Ty Smith or Braden Schneider back, I think they should look at it. What's challenging here is the Canucks have the players to trade to rebuild their backend but they are also guys you don't want to move because they are great pieces. This team's start sunk them, and a coaching change was needed, but it's a poorly constructed team with some very good individual talents.
sporkknife liked this.
Jan. 31, 2022 at 6:31 p.m.
Quoting: Watty1
If someone blows the doors off for Garland, I think you have to look at it. Players like him are impossible to trade for and I don't think the Canucks are in any hurry to trade Garland. I don't want to move him but if they get a 1st & a grad A/B+ defense prospect like a Ty Smith or Braden Schneider back, I think they should look at it. What's challenging here is the Canucks have the players to trade to rebuild their backend but they are also guys you don't want to move because they are great pieces. This team's start sunk them, and a coaching change was needed, but it's a poorly constructed team with some very good individual talents.

The thing about our forward group is a lot of them are still relatively young and still has room to keep growing their game and keep improving. Our defencemen do need more younger guys though which I trust Rathbone and Woo can fill in those roles in the coming years. But like I said I understand making a trade or two but trading away more than that makes no sense
Jan. 31, 2022 at 6:43 p.m.
KFTW

I like this team tho. They should be trying to get rid of Pearson, Myers and Poolman. Maybe do a Miller or Garland for a Marino/Carlo swap. This team will be fine
Jan. 31, 2022 at 7:01 p.m.
The big problem is that this season was Benning's "all in". Next season we could have made a run at for example Filip Forsberg or a RD free agent with the space we were going to have. Instead, we squished right up to the cap and we're stuck there for the foreseeable future.
With no significant prospects coming in (with all due respect, I love Rathbone and Woo but they look unlikely to be more than solid 2nd pairing guys), how does this team get over the top? The way the money is spread out right now makes it impossible to address the biggest issue with the roster, which IMO is the RD's inability to effectively transition the puck and generate offense.
I don't think we're 1 or 2 small moves away from contention. I just don't see how the team as it's built right now gets there.
The reason Miller and Garland come up in trade rumors, instead of Pearson and Myers, is because teams actually WANT the aforementioned players.
I'd be devastated to see Miller, Garland, or Boeser traded, they seem like great guys and are great players, but I want to see this team win a Stanley in my lifetime and it's going to take tough choices and, unfortunately, even more patience to get there.
WhereArtTLuongo and Boldirev liked this.
Jan. 31, 2022 at 7:03 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: BestGMBenning
Clear cap space for what though? The players with the best value is all the team has. I understand moving a player or two but for literally it to be altogether Miller, Boeser, Garland, Myers, Pearson, and even Horvat? Naaaahhh bro. Just make some trades that could potentially help the team out and make other moves in the off-season. Because as of now just trading a bunch of players to get some prospects and cap space will only mean a full blown rebuild and some unhappy players and wasting Bruce Boudreau’s time and efforts of getting this team to win as he’s been doing.

I'm not a Canucks fan but very much agree with you, I think Vancouver should be trying to add some good player not trade them away.

As you said why waste time and years of guys signed to pretty good value contracts going through a rebuild, for what? To trade a guy like Garland for some picks/prospects/cap space to hope to be good in a few years to then be looking for a Garland type winger?!! Just makes zero sense to me, the Canucks have a decent team and now have a great coach, just need to make a couple additions imo.
BestGMBenning liked this.
Feb. 1, 2022 at 12:50 a.m.
Quoting: csick
I like this team tho. They should be trying to get rid of Pearson, Myers and Poolman. Maybe do a Miller or Garland for a Marino/Carlo swap. This team will be fine

I agree as well. The acquisition of Garland could play a good role in the coming years and makes no sense to trade though. Trade Miller makes some sense as he’s a valuable player that generates a lot of offence. I feel like Pearson could end up staying as he’s started putting up some numbers under Boudreau. I would like to see Myers traded as well but I’m unsure what kind of return he can get for us.
Feb. 1, 2022 at 1:01 a.m.
Quoting: sporkknife
The big problem is that this season was Benning's "all in". Next season we could have made a run at for example Filip Forsberg or a RD free agent with the space we were going to have. Instead, we squished right up to the cap and we're stuck there for the foreseeable future.
With no significant prospects coming in (with all due respect, I love Rathbone and Woo but they look unlikely to be more than solid 2nd pairing guys), how does this team get over the top? The way the money is spread out right now makes it impossible to address the biggest issue with the roster, which IMO is the RD's inability to effectively transition the puck and generate offense.
I don't think we're 1 or 2 small moves away from contention. I just don't see how the team as it's built right now gets there.
The reason Miller and Garland come up in trade rumors, instead of Pearson and Myers, is because teams actually WANT the aforementioned players.
I'd be devastated to see Miller, Garland, or Boeser traded, they seem like great guys and are great players, but I want to see this team win a Stanley in my lifetime and it's going to take tough choices and, unfortunately, even more patience to get there.

Jim Benning was always Jim Benning and without failure always made questionable decisions. But like I said. Our forward group is still relatively young and they’ve been playing really well under Boudreau altogether. I also didn’t say Rathbone and Woo were going to push us over the top. They are younger prospects that could fill roles for the team. Which could be good help for us. LHD is pretty much set when Rathbone is more NHL ready and RHD is questionable but some how working right now. But having Jett Woo for the future does help. But for next season there’s about $17M in cap space and the only big player needing a payday is Boeser. But as of right now clearing the cap still makes no sense unless if it helps us for right now and beyond
Feb. 1, 2022 at 2:11 a.m.
Banned

This roster definitely has some issues, but this isn't a bottom 10 team by any stretch of the imagination. Retooling this roster won't be any less doable than what Bill Zito did in Florida
Feb. 1, 2022 at 2:16 a.m.
Jim Benning was always Jim Benning and without failure always made questionable decisions. But like I said. Our forward group is still relatively young and they’ve been playing really well under Boudreau altogether. I also didn’t say Rathbone and Woo were going to push us over the top. They are younger prospects that could fill roles for the team. Which could be good help for us. LHD is pretty much set when Rathbone is more NHL ready and RHD is questionable but some how working right now. But having Jett Woo for the future does help. But for next season there’s about $17M in cap space and the only big player needing a payday is Boeser. But as of right now clearing the cap still makes no sense unless if it helps us for right now and beyond

I get what you're saying and I understand the sentiment behind it. You shouldn't be clearing out cap on a young, good value forward like Garland, when you'd likely want to use that cap on Garland's replacement who is at best of equal value.

From my point of view, new management is deciding what kind of team they're working with. If you are looking at moving Garland, it's because they've leaned towards the full rebuild side of the spectrum. If they trade Miller or find a way to move OEL or Myers, mayyyybe they can look at getting the team in contention in the nearer future. Personally, I wouldn't blame them for wanting to build the team "from scratch" in their vision. I'm not saying that's the direction they'll go I just personally have a lot more faith in the vision of the new management if they do decide to go that way. It would suck to watch a rebuild at this point, but like I said, I don't care. I just want to see a cup before I'm gone.

Finally, I don't think we're anywhere near a cup contender if we make the playoffs. Not this year nor next, even with the few minor additions we could afford next offseason. Feel free to disagree with that. I'd love to be wrong, honestly.
BestGMBenning liked this.
Feb. 1, 2022 at 2:21 a.m.
Quoting: Knuckl3s
This roster definitely has some issues, but this isn't a bottom 10 team by any stretch of the imagination. Retooling this roster won't be any less doable than what Bill Zito did in Florida

I love the optimism. Florida did have to contend with Bobrovsky's anchor contract. But now Bob is playing well. The key differences are their leaders all came of age at the right time and they are supplementing them with good young talent in abundance.

And as for us being a bottom 10 team by any stretch of the imagination, well, you don't have to imagine it, just check the standings.
Feb. 1, 2022 at 2:23 a.m.
Banned
I get what you're saying and I understand the sentiment behind it. You shouldn't be clearing out cap on a young, good value forward like Garland, when you'd likely want to use that cap on Garland's replacement who is at best of equal value.

From my point of view, new management is deciding what kind of team they're working with. If you are looking at moving Garland, it's because they've leaned towards the full rebuild side of the spectrum. If they trade Miller or find a way to move OEL or Myers, mayyyybe they can look at getting the team in contention in the nearer future. Personally, I wouldn't blame them for wanting to build the team "from scratch" in their vision. I'm not saying that's the direction they'll go I just personally have a lot more faith in the vision of the new management if they do decide to go that way. It would suck to watch a rebuild at this point, but like I said, I don't care. I just want to see a cup before I'm gone.

Finally, I don't think we're anywhere near a cup contender if we make the playoffs. Not this year nor next, even with the few minor additions we could afford next offseason. Feel free to disagree with that. I'd love to be wrong, honestly.

I can see this team being in year 1 of it's contention window as early as 2023-2024, but obviously a lot of things would have to go right for that to happen. I think Vancouver has a pretty strong blueprint to follow looking back at Florida's 2020 off-season retool when Zito took over
sporkknife liked this.
Feb. 1, 2022 at 2:24 a.m.
Banned
I love the optimism. Florida did have to contend with Bobrovsky's anchor contract. But now Bob is playing well. The key differences are their leaders all came of age at the right time and they are supplementing them with good young talent in abundance.

And as for us being a bottom 10 team by any stretch of the imagination, well, you don't have to imagine it, just check the standings.

That is what I am saying, the standings don't accurately reflect how good the team has been since Boudreau came on, not to mention they've been through a good deal of adversity with the long layoff and being undermanned due to covid
sporkknife liked this.
Feb. 1, 2022 at 2:29 a.m.
That is what I am saying, the standings don't accurately reflect how good the team has been since Boudreau came on, not to mention they've been through a good deal of adversity with the long layoff and being undermanned due to covid

Yeah I've really enjoyed watching them under Boudreau! My whole thing in this thread is just about being open to whatever direction Rutherford and Allvin take us. If Garland is traded it would be strange but the return better be amazing.
Feb. 1, 2022 at 3:04 a.m.
Banned
Yeah I've really enjoyed watching them under Boudreau! My whole thing in this thread is just about being open to whatever direction Rutherford and Allvin take us. If Garland is traded it would be strange but the return better be amazing.

It had better be indeed...or else!

Joking aside, I think Garland will be a Canuck for the foreseeable future. There isn't really anything about his game that makes me even remotely consider him being expendable
sporkknife liked this.
Feb. 1, 2022 at 3:14 a.m.

It will take some time for us to be considered Cuo contenders but I believe they’ll get there in the coming years to where they can emerge as a legitimate team
sporkknife liked this.
Feb. 1, 2022 at 10:33 a.m.

I guess it all depends what you want. I want to see a Stanley Cup won in Vancouver. This team, despite some quality players is not winning squat. If they have to trade some of their players to build a better future, I'm in. I'm not sure how to explain the value of cap space to you ( and it is incredibly valuable ) if you can't grasp it. Benning had the same blind spot.
Feb. 1, 2022 at 6:22 p.m.
I guess it all depends what you want. I want to see a Stanley Cup won in Vancouver. This team, despite some quality players is not winning squat. If they have to trade some of their players to build a better future, I'm in. I'm not sure how to explain the value of cap space to you ( and it is incredibly valuable ) if you can't grasp it. Benning had the same blind spot.

And we do have a good amount of cap space in the coming years. And definitely more cap space if able to trade Myers full contract. Also dropping Hamonic would be nice as well I think.
Feb. 1, 2022 at 6:46 p.m.
Myers will be a tough move until his final year. Hamonic has so little value IMO and OEL is another that will be tough to trade. These guys will cost retention and/or picks to move which is almost going backwards. Creating cap space without getting assets makes very little sense. The Canucks desperately need two young RD that can play soon. That’s not happening unless they move something out. In the short term cap space allows them to maybe pick up a good player from another cap strapped team. As it currently stands there is no way forward for this team without some significant moves.
Feb. 1, 2022 at 6:58 p.m.
Banned
Myers will be a tough move until his final year. Hamonic has so little value IMO and OEL is another that will be tough to trade. These guys will cost retention and/or picks to move which is almost going backwards. Creating cap space without getting assets makes very little sense. The Canucks desperately need two young RD that can play soon. That’s not happening unless they move something out. In the short term cap space allows them to maybe pick up a good player from another cap strapped team. As it currently stands there is no way forward for this team without some significant moves.

Ekman-Larsson is the only guy who I see costing the Canucks anything to move
Feb. 1, 2022 at 8:53 p.m.
Ekman-Larsson is the only guy who I see costing the Canucks anything to move

Hamonic has very little value. Who is taking him without retention?? Maybe, but I don’t see it. Otherwise you are taking an equally bad contract back.
Feb. 1, 2022 at 10:16 p.m.
Hamonic has very little value. Who is taking him without retention?? Maybe, but I don’t see it. Otherwise you are taking an equally bad contract back.

I’d have to agree. It would sort of suck to move OEL. Myers is more than affordable to lose. He’s decent but we need more younger RHD as you said. It would be nice to be rid of Hamonic mostly in my opinion.
Boldirev liked this.
Feb. 2, 2022 at 3:32 a.m.
Banned

Edmonton, Ottawa, Montreal, Winnipeg, heck maybe even Seattle would take him for a small price

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll