Forums/Armchair-GM

Coyle

Created by: Snowball
Team: 2022-23 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 9, 2022
Published: Mar. 9, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Ok trying to feel everyone out here. Should BOS trade Coyle in the off-season? I know he’s a hometown boy so probably not going to happen but BOS could really use that cap hit for some more pressing needs. So I think BOS should trade Coyle in the off season.

NOW before everyone cries, Coyle is not a bad player, at all. His puck protection skills are amazing, along with his big body. He can take control of the puck and hang on to it with the best of them. But at 5m+ for a 3C it’s just a little to much for BOS. Again he’s not a bad player, he brings a lot more than his number incline but BOS has others that can slide into that position and other pressing needs that should be addressed with that cap space. IMO

Maybe my opinion will change if this new found 11-13-12 line continue to be a force but even then I’m not to sure.

BOS needs a top 4 LHD (preferably top pairing LHD IMO), a 2C is still a need, (Haula has been good technically. But I think it’s more of “ Well he’s been better then expected” which is true but I think that line could really pop with a more productive true 2C, and they could use a top 6 RW (obviously this is pending JD trade, but seems like he’s out no matter what and I think CSmith should stay on the third line, as he’s a perfect player for a checking line with Freddy) and please don’t say Lysell, he should have another year of development in NA, IMO. I know he’s having a good year and has playmaking skills to probably sustain NHL time but we don’t need to rush him and I think one more year of getting use to NA ice and style could be more beneficial to him. (Obviously that’s subject to change to depending on how much work and progression he gets in over the summer but still one more year wouldn’t hurt anything) so a short term top 6RW would be ideal year or two term I’d say.

Obviously there’s going to be more trades in the off-season, cough cough folingo, Reilly(plausible) and Forbort(IMO I’d move him but we will see) could move Moores contract too to free up little room

So what your opinion move coyle or not? Technically could probably move the players above and a few others (maybe haula) and that could potentially give BOS enough to sign all three positions. Depending on who they sign they may not need to move coyle but I just think it would make things a little easier
Trades
BOS
  1. 2022 3rd round pick (BUF)
Additional Details:
Sorry BUF, just threw a random team in here
BOS
  1. 2023 4th round pick (BUF)
Additional Details:
Again sorry
BUF
  1. Foligno, Nick
  2. Reilly, Mike
Additional Details:
These 2 should also probably be moved in the off-season to make room for players and cap space
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
14$81,500,000$56,129,167$0$150,000$25,370,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$2,375,000$2,375,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 2
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,100,000$4,100,000
RD
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$150,000$150K)
G
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 9, 2022 at 10:08 a.m.
Coyle is what he is but trading him only hurts the team rather move Moore ,Forbort, Haula or clifton who can be easily replaced
BruinsFan35 and Snowball liked this.
Mar. 9, 2022 at 10:10 a.m.
Better off holding Coyle and dump Reilly, Forbort, Foligno, Moore, Wagner.
BruinsFan35 and Snowball liked this.
Mar. 9, 2022 at 10:49 a.m.
Sabresguy1897
Honestly buffalo would do this lol, we currently have the worst bottom six forward group in the nhl and cap space galore. Whether you need to pay to cap dump or lower the offer price is maybe what would need to be considered haha
Mar. 9, 2022 at 10:58 a.m.
Quoting: Gofnut999
Better off holding Coyle and dump Reilly, Forbort, Foligno, Moore, Wagner.

Quoting: Bruinsbeatz
Coyle is what he is but trading him only hurts the team rather move Moore ,Forbort, Haula or clifton who can be easily replaced

It all comes down to how they want to do things and who they want to sign, no way they can go get top players at each position but I guess they will have to pick the most important one and hope for the best on the rest

I just don’t see how the bruins can address all 3 issues without trading him. Now with that, if they don’t plan on addressing all 3 positions, like If they’re are content with Haula as 2C for future then this discussion is all for none. But I just don’t see this team being cup contender without addressing 2C, maybe I’m wrong, maybe with another solid RW and top LHD it changes the identity of this team enough.

Or maybe they upgrade 2C and LHD and then do a RW by committee but I’m just not a fan of that personally.

I like coyle a lot personally, I just wish he was, say 1.5m cheaper or something. And I don’t foresee BOS moving him anyways.
Mar. 9, 2022 at 11:04 a.m.
Quoting: Snowball
It all comes down to how they want to do things and who they want to sign, no way they can go get top players at each position but I guess they will have to pick the most important one and hope for the best on the rest

I just don’t see how the bruins can address all 3 issues without trading him. Now with that, if they don’t plan on addressing all 3 positions, like If they’re are content with Haula as 2C for future then this discussion is all for none. But I just don’t see this team being cup contender without addressing 2C, maybe I’m wrong, maybe with another solid RW and top LHD it changes the identity of this team enough.

Or maybe they upgrade 2C and LHD and then do a RW by committee but I’m just not a fan of that personally.

I like coyle a lot personally, I just wish he was, say 1.5m cheaper or something. And I don’t foresee BOS moving him anyways.

Or they can move Coyle to RW if need be to fix the other problems. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Mar. 9, 2022 at 11:19 a.m.

I think Lysell should get a shot at pro level next year and what better place to put him but next to Bergy and Marchand and also saves cap space. Personally I would address 2c first Bruins are fifth in the league in shots but 16th in goals for. If you can say something good about Cassidy it’s his teams play good defense so I think adding a guy like Pavelski in the off-season would be great, he can play 2C or RW1 if Lysell is not ready. But if you moved Reilly, Forbort, Haula, Moore and Clifton the bruins have room to sign both Lindholm on a long term deal and Pavelski on a 1 or 2 year deal.
Mar. 9, 2022 at 11:31 a.m.
Or they can move Coyle to RW if need be to fix the other problems. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hey might not be bad option at all, he’s big power forward style, could work for sure
Mar. 9, 2022 at 11:35 a.m.
so i mean if you think about it cap wise. forbort has a 10 team no trade this year, 8 team no trade next year and 3 team no trade in his last year. pretty movable next year or year after he is a decent pk guy a big body who i think is a little more built for playoff hockey than regular season hockey but we will see i guess, i think you cant really move reilly right now for much value, but i think he is easily easily replaceable and should be easily moveable (puck moving dman signed relatively cheap...), foligno just buy him out next year. dont even bother keeping him around for pk veteran presence, hes just not worth the 3.8m cap hit, could be spent alot better and theres a 1.8m cap savings as a june 15th buyout.. just take the hit and move on. wagner and moore both have a year left on their deals. depending on if they raise the vet min, wagners cap could almost be fully cut out from the nhl altogether moving him isnt that big of a deal or a priority, if he thinks he can stick on an nhl roster his money is minimal enough to move him. moore is a decent depth dman but should be moved on from at the end of the year, whether they retain on him and send him somewhere similar to backes, or a buyout saves 1.5m there thats not a bad option either. they dont really have to pay to move these guys unless they push all in this year. then guys like moore/debrusk/reilly have to be moved as most guys are going to be making a decent amount.

i dont think you move coyle regardless of his cap hit long term when cap goes up he will be fine. it only looks worse right now because of flat cap but in a few years 3rd liners will be making 4-5m anyways. hes one of those performs better in the playoffs because he can actually throw his body around without being penalized so much. that 3rd line currently has some beef to i and i think if they can keep scoring will be a nightmare to match up against because all 3 guys are physical.
Mar. 9, 2022 at 11:38 a.m.
Hey might not be bad option at all, he’s big power forward style, could work for sure

He’s 2nd on the team in shooting %, pairing him with a pair of great passers in Bergy and Marchy would be interesting. But they are not going to break up the lines this year as well as they working right now.
Mar. 9, 2022 at 11:40 a.m.
Quoting: Bruinsbeatz
I think Lysell should get a shot at pro level next year and what better place to put him but next to Bergy and Marchand and also saves cap space. Personally I would address 2c first Bruins are fifth in the league in shots but 16th in goals for. If you can say something good about Cassidy it’s his teams play good defense so I think adding a guy like Pavelski in the off-season would be great, he can play 2C or RW1 if Lysell is not ready. But if you moved Reilly, Forbort, Haula, Moore and Clifton the bruins have room to sign both Lindholm on a long term deal and Pavelski on a 1 or 2 year deal.

Ya they could definitely use a little more scoring touch. Lindholm wouldn’t be cheap, and with that they may have enough to get a Pav but would still be tight, (with berg coming back). I would think all three, Hampus, Berg and Pav would be around the 6.5-7m area, so that wouldn’t leave much for roster round out. And would pretty much rule out any chance at a Hertl or probably even a Trocheck over Pavs ( maybe not depending on term)
Mar. 9, 2022 at 11:57 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I'm doubting if M NTC Coyle would waive to Buffalo. Even NMC Foligno probably wants to finish his career with a contender not the Sabres.

PS. I never understood why the Bruins would sign Foligno to a bloated 3.8m X 3 contract.
Mar. 9, 2022 at 11:58 a.m.
Quoting: hanson493
so i mean if you think about it cap wise. forbort has a 10 team no trade this year, 8 team no trade next year and 3 team no trade in his last year. pretty movable next year or year after he is a decent pk guy a big body who i think is a little more built for playoff hockey than regular season hockey but we will see i guess, i think you cant really move reilly right now for much value, but i think he is easily easily replaceable and should be easily moveable (puck moving dman signed relatively cheap...), foligno just buy him out next year. dont even bother keeping him around for pk veteran presence, hes just not worth the 3.8m cap hit, could be spent alot better and theres a 1.8m cap savings as a june 15th buyout.. just take the hit and move on. wagner and moore both have a year left on their deals. depending on if they raise the vet min, wagners cap could almost be fully cut out from the nhl altogether moving him isnt that big of a deal or a priority, if he thinks he can stick on an nhl roster his money is minimal enough to move him. moore is a decent depth dman but should be moved on from at the end of the year, whether they retain on him and send him somewhere similar to backes, or a buyout saves 1.5m there thats not a bad option either. they dont really have to pay to move these guys unless they push all in this year. then guys like moore/debrusk/reilly have to be moved as most guys are going to be making a decent amount.

i dont think you move coyle regardless of his cap hit long term when cap goes up he will be fine. it only looks worse right now because of flat cap but in a few years 3rd liners will be making 4-5m anyways. hes one of those performs better in the playoffs because he can actually throw his body around without being penalized so much. that 3rd line currently has some beef to i and i think if they can keep scoring will be a nightmare to match up against because all 3 guys are physical.

Forbort shouldn’t be an issue to move I agree, and also agree I hope he will be a much bigger influence in the playoffs

I agree Reilly also should fetch a small return no problem, both these guys are capable too 4 Dmen on decent cap terms.

Foligno should be traded not bought out, IF POSSIBLE obviously, I do get it if it’s the only way, but I dont mind paying a little to move him out. The NTC could make that a little more difficult for sure. But hopefully they could find a team that is fairly young that could use a little veteran leadership cause he is very good at that or a rebuilding team that has the space to soak up his contract for last year.

Moore I think could be moved no problem, I would think a team with roster space could take him, give him everyday NHL duties again and POSSIBLY flip him at next years TDL as playoff depth dman with little retention easy enough, depending on how his play was next year. Or just pay small fee for team with space to take him, shouldn’t be very expensive at all, 1 year at 1.6 buried in the minors, I would think a 4th would be enough

Wags really doesn’t matter, so just let him be, unless like you said he still thinks he’s capable of full time nhl duties and a team is willing to give him 4th line minutes then by all means let him go play some hockey

And then I agree with the rest, like I said up top, Coyle is not a bad player at all, he’s a very useful tool just making a tad bit to much IMO, but I do totally agree that he shines in the playoffs so hopefully that proves true again this year and justifies him.

I would also assume he’ll have a couple good games here after being called out by Butch after OT mishap last game, so hopefully that kicks him in the right direction also. And with that 3rd line, I agree, it’s plenty capable of matching up against anyone else’s in the league, the way they’re playing right now and is as classic of a checking line as it gets really
Mar. 9, 2022 at 12:04 p.m.
Edited Mar. 9, 2022 at 12:11 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
I'm doubting if M NTC Coyle would waive to Buffalo. Even NMC Foligno probably wants to finish his career with a contender not the Sabres.

PS. I never understood why the Bruins would sign Foligno to a bloated 3.8m X 3 contract.

BUF was just placeholder there, but besides that coyle has only a 8team no trade list, leaving 23 possible destinations so BUF could be option anyways as it’s close to home for him, and I would assume the 7 CAN teams would be on his list (maybe not if he’s smart he wouldn’t bother wasting a spot on the ones that couldn’t afford him, TOR,CAL,EDM probably even VAN) I would also imagine ARI is on his list but anyways there would be more options besides BUF if they were to move him, which I highly doubt they would anyways

Foligno your 100% right, BOS probably would just have to buy him out honestly, but may get lucky and find someone willing to take him for last year but at what point would it just be more feasible to buy him out
palhal liked this.
Mar. 9, 2022 at 12:10 p.m.
He’s 2nd on the team in shooting %, pairing him with a pair of great passers in Bergy and Marchy would be interesting. But they are not going to break up the lines this year as well as they working right now.

No that 3rd line is great at the moment they would definitely do anything in their power to keep that line together this year I think. I just worry about JD on the top line. Don’t want him to get streaky again, idk how he could playing with those 2 guys but never know I guess. I think he’s got a level enough head on his shoulders that if he doesn’t get traded by the TDL he shouldn’t let that effect his play, he knows he’s playing for a contract and is probably not going to have a better opportunity then this. But a rental ( or a guy with 1 year left possibly) RW could be some good assurance up there, and is 100% an obvious must have if they do get JD out by the TDL.
Mar. 9, 2022 at 2:09 p.m.
Ya they could definitely use a little more scoring touch. Lindholm wouldn’t be cheap, and with that they may have enough to get a Pav but would still be tight, (with berg coming back). I would think all three, Hampus, Berg and Pav would be around the 6.5-7m area, so that wouldn’t leave much for roster round out. And would pretty much rule out any chance at a Hertl or probably even a Trocheck over Pavs ( maybe not depending on term)

If you move those guys I mentioned you can get Pavs for 6 Bergy for 6 (both 1 year deals) and Lindholm for 7 or 7.5. Sign Zboril and Vaak to 2 year cheap deals resign steen and studnicka for depth and the roster is set once Bergy retires the team will need a serious retool so go all out next year with signings and bruins still keep all their picks for whatever the future is.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll